Oklahoma future 2011ers part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure there were a couple people that didn't feel insulted after reading that. I am not one of those, that message made me feel like a kid being chided. I was in the middle of constructing a wonderfully sarcastic message that emulated his tone but I thought that it might be unprofessional. Glad I didn't post anything inappropriate on the board. ;) NonTrad, your name isn't attached to the message and you don't belong in the beautiful Caribbean. You belong here with us, in scenic Oklahoma. :) You have my vote for pres, but I somehow doubt you want that job.

I agree non-trad...you aren't going anywhere. You are gonna stay right here and suffer with the rest of us for the next 3.5 years :D

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, God (holding head in hands, feeling a tad sick to my stomach). I knew I would regret going over to the discussion board. Was it me, or was there something in the tone that was just a wee bit patronizing? Good grief, I don't want to have to baby-sit on how to write a memo that doesn't insult anyone who reads it. How did I get myself onto this team? Please tell exlaw that I abruptly transferred to the Caribbean.

So I'm back, sort of. :) Yeah, it was a bit patronizing -- yep, you guys need a PR person. The gist of the message was "what we do is great, and you shouldn't talk about it." :rolleyes: Hey, the Caribbean would be nice right now. We could drink cocktails on the beach while studying physiology. :D

Ambx, you're scaring because my throat hurts, and I have been around those little bundles of germs called children. :scared: Sorry you've had such a bad start to the break.

Jwax, I haven't watched any Buffy this break, but I was thinking that I should. I also need to buy season 7 soon since it's only been out for like 3 years now.

Bleh, I'll probably post something long-winded shortly after I read more posts. I'm really bad about replying to my owns posts. :oops:

I am sure there were a couple people that didn't feel insulted after reading that. I am not one of those, that message made me feel like a kid being chided. I was in the middle of constructing a wonderfully sarcastic message that emulated his tone but I thought that it might be unprofessional. Glad I didn't post anything inappropriate on the board. ;) NonTrad, your name isn't attached to the message and you don't belong in the beautiful Caribbean. You belong here with us, in scenic Oklahoma. :) You have my vote for pres, but I somehow doubt you want that job.

Ah, understandable, but I bet you would have come up with something great to write. ;) Yeah, nontrad for pres, note group chair and exam review! He doesn't need to study. :)

I also need to be serious and apologize to nontrad for taking up some of my angst on him. It there a sorry smiley?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, understandable, but I bet you would have come up with something great to write. ;) Yeah, nontrad for pres, note group chair and exam review! He doesn't need to study. :)

I also need to be serious and apologize to nontrad for taking up some of my angst on him. It there a sorry smiley?

Nontrad said for your punishment you have to go out with me...I told him i thought this was somewhat compulsive but would agree for the benefit of the masses.

Please address any grievances directly to non trad. I told him I felt he was exceeding his treasury powers but would agree due to peer pressure of which I am exceedingly honoring to. ;)

Bear with me for one more whining session about my anatomy grade. O'Don is not changing my grade because it's not explained in the syllabus how the ARS points are handled if they do in fact lower your grade. He said that I could take it up with Dr. Chung if he comes back. Which would be fine if he does come back because I know he would give me my B, but what if he doesn't? Should I take this to a higher power or revisit the issue with O'Don or hope that Dr. Chung comes back? I'm afraid that if I wait to see if Dr. Chung will come back and I find out much later that he isn't it will be too late to change my grade.

I suppose none of this really matters seeing as how there's no way I'm going to be AOA. However, I feel like this C will doom me to the bottom quartile and I don't want to be there!

Just finished my Christmas shopping, the stores actually weren't that bad tonight. I feel like my real break will start when all the presents are wrapped and my daughter's birthday cake is finished. Boy do I wish Santa were real.

Bear with me for one more whining session about my anatomy grade. O'Don is not changing my grade because it's not explained in the syllabus how the ARS points are handled if they do in fact lower your grade. He said that I could take it up with Dr. Chung if he comes back. Which would be fine if he does come back because I know he would give me my B, but what if he doesn't? Should I take this to a higher power or revisit the issue with O'Don or hope that Dr. Chung comes back? I'm afraid that if I wait to see if Dr. Chung will come back and I find out much later that he isn't it will be too late to change my grade.

I'd just go straight to a higher power, either one of the deans or there should be a grade appeal council on campus some place. This issue isn't about points or tests, it's about an oral contract that we have a record of.

If you don't get any help, I will make a stink about this myself without using your name.

You might also consult one of our student leaders. I know that we have a student council representative who should have some idea of the best course of action even though I don't know who that person is.

Just finished my Christmas shopping, the stores actually weren't that bad tonight. I feel like my real break will start when all the presents are wrapped and my daughter's birthday cake is finished. Boy do I wish Santa were real.

Santa isn't real? There is a lady I call who says she's Santa's helper and that I've been too naughty to get a present so I'm supposed to punish myself. Are you telling me that she's not real too? Drat. She told me that it was cold where she was and went on about a north pole and so forth. I guess I won't need to take out that extra loan next semester for my phone bill.

Wow, my sisters were making a mess of my house preparing our usual Christmas Eve chili thing... so I went out to play in the night (which can't really lead to trouble at my age, despite my best efforts <sigh>). I missed a bunch of posts while I was out!!

Anyway, no apologies, exlaw... I admire your passion, and you make some good points. I love a good toe-to-toe fight of opinions and ideas... but I can only do that with people who are intelligent enough to disconnect personal feelings from issues... you can rip me to shreds in my so-called official capacity, as long as we're still buds at the end of the day. Lawyers are generally good for a fair fight. :laugh: You can go out with Johnny but don't tell Mr. Exlaw where I live, OK?

Thanks for the support, want2be (and Johnny)... I'm sticking around... I think after another couple of weeks of sleeping late I'll be ready for Round 2. Actually, I think I'll come back to the City after New Years... it's odd... I love being home in Tulsa - and in my own home - but, in a strange way, I feel like I'm visiting a place where I don't live anymore. I didn't expect that to happen. I actually miss my little house in the 'hood with the trains blaring at 5:30am and the jets making final approach to Will Rogers.

Wiz, thanks for the cool post on clock hours... I liked that a lot.

Smitty... (the opinions expressed in this paragraph are strictly my own in my capacity as a private citizen and as a fellow victim of this soul-grinding thing we call 'medical school'... :oops: ) once O'Don has made a decision, I doubt he's going to budge. My own guess is that Chung will never be back and, judging from O'Don's comments about the "former administration," he knows it, too. It's very unfortunate that Chung is ill but he has to be around 70 - I'm sure his retirement will be announced quietly at some point in the next year - he may have taken leave if the health insurance benefits are better for active employees than they are for retirees (well, actually, at his age if he retired Medicare would become primary so that may just be it). You might as well go straight to Dr. Schmidt, unless there is some other academic appeal process. They're not going to feel great about over-ruling O'Don right out of the gate, but his position is indefensible. The syllabus has some aspects of a binding agreement but it's not a formal contract, for heaven's sake, and Chung's statement is clearly on the .mp3. It was perfectly reasonable for you to rely on Chung's statement in class.

Freeze needs to light some dog poop on O'Don's doorstep, too.

For those of you who may have signed off to be with family and friends tomorrow before I get a chance to post again, have a very happy and safe holiday.

I know that we have a student council representative who should have some idea of the best course of action even though I don't know who that person is.
That person would be two persons - Brooke Ersland and, I believe, Brett Herzog. Both very nice people.

Wiz, thanks for the cool post on clock hours... I liked that a lot.

Yeah I made that up to help explain our curriculum to some friends who are considering coming here to med school. I realized in the process that I really didn't know how our time was going to be split up in the remaining pre-clinical years. M3 and M4 are easy--they're just 40 hours a week, but for some reason I was thinking that histo was more like embryo. In reality, it looks like our lectures are split more evenly across our three main classes this semester. Since the school automatically enrolls all of us, we (perhaps happily) miss out on the normal paperwork associated with looking at the class schedule book.

...once O'Don has made a decision, I doubt he's going to budge. My own guess is that Chung will never be back and, judging from O'Don's comments about the "former administration," he knows it, too. It's very unfortunate that Chung is ill but he has to be around 70 - I'm sure his retirement will be announced quietly at some point in the next year - he may have taken leave if the health insurance benefits are better for active employees than they are for retirees (well, actually, at his age if he retired Medicare would become primary so that may just be it). You might as well go straight to Dr. Schmidt, unless there is some other academic appeal process. They're not going to feel great about over-ruling O'Don right out of the gate, but his position is indefensible. The syllabus has some aspects of a binding agreement but it's not a formal contract, for heaven's sake, and Chung's statement is clearly on the .mp3. It was perfectly reasonable for you to rely on Chung's statement in class.

Yeah I'm afraid that I agree about O'Don. It's all political.

I think that Chung is 68. I don't know why I think that, but I hope that I didn't just violate HIPAA. :eek:

Merry Christmas everyone...:thumbup:
I'm leaving for Tulsa in a few minutes so I won't be online for a few days.

Merry Christmas guys(and gals). Thanks for all the great info so far. :)

M3 and M4 are easy--they're just 40 hours a week

Ha ha ha ha ha ha :laugh:

Theoretically, they're only 40 hours a week... a friend of mine just finished a surgery rotation, and during the second month he was getting to the hospital at 2 am everyday and leaving around 7 or 8 pm. Somehow, I don't think that adds up to 40 hours...:D

I realize that you are probably aware of the fact that it's not actually 40 a week, it just made me laugh when I read that. ;)

Theoretically, they're only 40 hours a week... a friend of mine just finished a surgery rotation, and during the second month he was getting to the hospital at 2 am everyday and leaving around 7 or 8 pm. Somehow, I don't think that adds up to 40 hours...:D

I realize that you are probably aware of the fact that it's not actually 40 a week, it just made me laugh when I read that. ;)

But I was looking forward to only working 40 hours a week. Darn medical school! :eek:

Smitty, I'm actually amazed that O'Don is giving you such a hard time about this. He's wrong, and it just seems so obvious. Even if you go by the syllabus, they mention that "alternate exam" so they have to find some way to honor that or figure out what that means. I think he's left you no choice but to take it higher.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a nice Christmas. We're off to Arkansas to hang out with the inlaws, which I'm being negative about. We're at least staying at a hotel -- my sil smokes like a chimney.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah I was thinking about that too when I was transcribing it from the schedule book. Surgery hours (MS or PGY) are like the two-a-days they have in college football--there are "official" practice hours in the rulebook and then there are hours for the people who actually want to play in the game some day.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a nice Christmas. We're off to Arkansas to hang out with the inlaws, which I'm being negative about. We're at least staying at a hotel -- my sil smokes like a chimney.

Take your death rays with you! ;)

Glad I didn't try to get a single point from O'Don to get my A, sounds like he doesn't budge even when you have a legitimate concern. :( I think the syllabus is confusing and you should definitely take it to a higher power. The difficulty lies in presenting your case before they make up their mind. I hate dealing with that, but as soon as you say "I would like to have my grade changed" they'll probably stop listening.

Anyway, Good luck! Merry Christmas all!

smitty, if i were you, i would have my ipod with said lecture and my butt at an appointment with dean hall or schmidt as soon as they were back from christmas break.

Smitty, I'm actually amazed that O'Don is giving you such a hard time about this. He's wrong, and it just seems so obvious. Even if you go by the syllabus, they mention that "alternate exam" so they have to find some way to honor that or figure out what that means. I think he's left you no choice but to take it higher.

Yea, the syll is not written with the hand of God. The changed a lot of things in it afterwards...ie...snow days, unscheduled minis, etc...

I would definitely take the ipod with Chung saying it...and meet with Nancy Hall or someone else. If Chung had not said that you would've attended and got the clicker pnts.

good luck

Yea, the syll is not written with the hand of God. The changed a lot of things in it afterwards...ie...snow days, unscheduled minis, etc...

I would definitely take the ipod with Chung saying it...and meet with Nancy Hall or someone else. If Chung had not said that you would've attended and got the clicker pnts.

good luck

So, would an Ipod be a good item to buy myself for med school (assuming I even actually get in :oops: )? I am old school - my music system is a cd player.

My fiance did buy me a GameBoy Advance for Christmas (with the best game ever - Dr. Mario!!!). I figure that will be useful for avoiding studying in the near future.

So, would an Ipod be a good item to buy myself for med school (assuming I even actually get in :oops: )? I am old school - my music system is a cd player.

My fiance did buy me a GameBoy Advance for Christmas (with the best game ever - Dr. Mario!!!). I figure that will be useful for avoiding studying in the near future.

Yea...you'll definitely benefit from an ipod or anything that will allow you to listen to the recorded lectures while driving, jogging, etc.

Your stats look pretty good...I bet you'll get in :thumbup:

My ipod had been very helpful. I listen to lectures in the car, doing dishes, etc. However, not everybody likes listening to lectures. Either way, it's a great excuse to buy one!

So I have had it confirmed through correspondence with our class president and secretary that our elected class officials have no clue how to conduct themselves. Apparently, burying what you do is professional, as is displaying huge arrogance and a surprising inability to read critically. :rolleyes:

Anyway, just throwing that out there. We deserve it, though, for just voting for whoever gives the funniest speech.

Well the timeline of the elections is not very beneficial. The notegroups chair has to be elected early in the year, but other than that I think we should get to know people in our class before we vote. It does worry me that people that were supposedly in leadership positions before school conduct themselves in a way that makes the inaccessable and impotent. Aside from NonTrad, who probably has a tight watch on all the behind the scenes... ;)

In the end, exlaw, they really don't have that much power. I just wish they wouldn't squander it so much. :)

Well the timeline of the elections is not very beneficial. The notegroups chair has to be elected early in the year, but other than that I think we should get to know people in our class before we vote. It does worry me that people that were supposedly in leadership positions before school conduct themselves in a way that makes the inaccessable and impotent. Aside from NonTrad, who probably has a tight watch on all the behind the scenes... ;)

In the end, exlaw, they really don't have that much power. I just wish they wouldn't squander it so much. :)

Good point about the timeline and about the power. :)

Good point about the timeline and about the power. :)

They don't have any power as far as I know...it's mostly just for show.
The main problem I had with all this junk is they were supposed to represent our class to the profs etc...

I'm thinking we look like the whiniest class they've ever had and I'm not sure how to fix the damage. :thumbdown:

I think before the next choosing of the student council we can still give them their 5 minutes to rant...but then it opens up to a Q&A session from the class...

ie...
Do you think it's acceptable to hide info from the class?
How do you feel about the drama from the previous council?
How would you have handled it?
What do you think should happen to a secretary who deliberately leaves out meeting minutes in order to hide the truth from the class?
etc...

I also think we need some checks and balances in place, and every subject requiring a decision should be posted on the web with a poll to see what the class wants and the class' decision should rule, not a few folks who most of us didn't know but still had to "pick one" at random. Some poor choices have resulted.

I won't let my future and my medical career be made more difficult or jeopardized because of hypersensitive people and misdirected decisions of others. Do it RIGHT or step aside.

I won't let my future and my medical career be made more difficult or jeopardized because of hypersensitive people and misdirected decisions of others. Do it RIGHT or step aside.

Nice comment.

Thanks for the comment about the stats, too. Unfortunately, they didn't look that bad last year either and I still didn't get in. :( I think my biggest selling point on differences in last years app & this years is I actually feel like I've earned my spot in med school. I belong & I know it. Last year, I wasn't all that convinced that I was cut out for it. Now I know. Whether or not I'll be able to really express that is up in the air, but knowing is half the battle. It definitely is a confidence booster for the interview, which should make it easier to not trip over my own tongue! :oops:

Thanks for the compliments, Wiz. Always nice to know I'm nice to look at. I had to look up your p-word that you threw out there earlier though.

Oh, and using the ipod to listen to lectures while jogging? Ha! That would mean I exercise.... which, in theory, my fiance and I are supposed to start doing soon, but ick... No me gusta exercise.

Does anyone know the names of the people who have dropped out or failed out?

I'm just real curious.

Thank you to those who responded via PM :thumbup:
Can you forward it? I tried to find-out and couldn't - you've got better sources than I do! It wouldn't be appropriate to identify people publicly, of course, but I'm still very curious :rolleyes: .

Your new avatar threw me, although it's definitely easy on the eyes!!

?? How many students from the class of 2010 have dropped / failed?

Thanks

I just glad to still be there. It wouldn't have taken much to swing me in with the lost boys n girls.

Just ask Freeze...here is the official convo between me, him, and some others on wednesday as we're going to the GA final.

ME: Man, I think I failed Embryo after that **** yesterday. :scared:
FREEZE: HA HA HA HA (big a*s grin)
ME: DUDE it's NOT funny...I'm serious!
FREEZE: hahaha
ME: bast*rd! lol :D

I just glad to still be there. It wouldn't have taken much to swing me in with the lost boys n girls.
Nah, I knew you were in it for the long haul, Johnny - you were too determined. Now that we know what we're doing, we'll be fine. We never, ever have to go back to cadaver lab!!!

If the tally is accurate, one of the departed is indeed a Class of 2009 person. Can you imagine piling-up three semesters' worth of debt and then leaving? That gives me cold chills just thinking about it. You can't pay off doctor-league debt with a middle-class salary. Sure, the bank has to work with you depending on your income level, but they'd be dogging you for life. It's like my own worse nightmare (as an old person) - paying off student loans out of my social security checks.

The rest of the suspect list, I don't recognize at all from looking at the composite. Maybe that's part of the problem - they didn't make enough friends for much-needed peer support? Even when I was ready to strangle my "normal" friends, I knew my med-school pals were going through the same garbage that I was - there was always a shoulder to cry on (and thank you to all those who listened to me whine while I was having a small nervous breakdown).

I feel like maybe we should send a card, but I don't think Hallmark has a card for "On Your Unfortunate Untimely Departure from Medical School." Actually, I'm sure most left for personal reasons that I shouldn't make jokes about (but, since I was nearly a victim myself, maybe I can joke a little). But I also know Hallmark doesn't make a card for "Sorry About D-Day, and We'll See You at Orientation!"

Or should it say, "DD-Day"?? Or, "D-D-Dat's all, Folks!"??

I gotta quit sleeping all morning and playing on the computer all afternoon, then going to the movies and bar-hopping all evening like I did tonight. I'm starting to feel way too much like a normal human being who is having fun, and I will resent coming back to the City.

Nah, I knew you were in it for the long haul, Johnny - you were too determined. Now that we know what we're doing, we'll be fine. We never, ever have to go back to cadaver lab!!!

If the tally is accurate, one of the departed is indeed a Class of 2009 person. Can you imagine piling-up three semesters' worth of debt and then leaving? That gives me cold chills just thinking about it. You can't pay off doctor-league debt with a middle-class salary. Sure, the bank has to work with you depending on your income level, but they'd be dogging you for life. It's like my own worse nightmare (as an old person) - paying off student loans out of my social security checks.

The rest of the suspect list, I don't recognize at all from looking at the composite. Maybe that's part of the problem - they didn't make enough friends for much-needed peer support? Even when I was ready to strangle my "normal" friends, I knew my med-school pals were going through the same garbage that I was - there was always a shoulder to cry on (and thank you to all those who listened to me whine while I was having a small nervous breakdown).

I feel like maybe we should send a card, but I don't think Hallmark has a card for "On Your Unfortunate Untimely Departure from Medical School." Actually, I'm sure most left for personal reasons that I shouldn't make jokes about (but, since I was nearly a victim myself, maybe I can joke a little). But I also know Hallmark doesn't make a card for "Sorry About D-Day, and We'll See You at Orientation!"

Or should it say, "DD-Day"?? Or, "D-D-Dat's all, Folks!"??

I gotta quit sleeping all morning and playing on the computer all afternoon, then going to the movies and bar-hopping all evening like I did tonight. I'm starting to feel way too much like a normal human being who is having fun, and I will resent coming back to the City.

Yeah, the 2009er person -- that just has to suck. Who knows, though, maybe money wasn't an issue for some reason or other (I'm hoping that anyway). She seems like a really nice, interesting person. However, I talked to her once, and it was clear her heart wasn't in it. She missed her job and her pre med school life, so maybe it's good that she's going back.

The guy in our mod who left is planning on coming back next year. He had apparently never really studied before, so he wasn't doing very well. He's definitely a smart guy, though. There's the lesson for those incoming students -- med school isn't about how smart you are; it's about how well you study. Some of us smart people get burned because we're used to getting by in school without putting in much time.

I don't know any of the other people. Glad it's not me, though.

The rest of the suspect list, I don't recognize at all from looking at the composite.

The one guy from 214 came over to our module that time Sam (M4 interested in family med assigned by Dr. Sparks, I taught him everything he knows about clathrin-coated vesicles four years ago) stopped by our PCM day to show us some physical exam skills. I think he was that person who I was doing an abdominal exam on. He had a normal liver, but I couldn't tell if he had the stomach for medical school or not. :laugh: (Sorry that was probably inappropriate.)

Maybe that's part of the problem - they didn't make enough friends for much-needed peer support? Even when I was ready to strangle my "normal" friends, I knew my med-school pals were going through the same garbage that I was - there was always a shoulder to cry on (and thank you to all those who listened to me whine while I was having a small nervous breakdown).

You might wanna talk to our student with the most life experience. One of his module mates said he's having a tough time.

The guy in our mod who left is planning on coming back next year. He had apparently never really studied before, so he wasn't doing very well. He's definitely a smart guy, though.

We was well-liked by many, I just never knew him.

I have bumped into some of the people who are doing M1 over. They seem to be split between those having a similar experience and those who are doing pretty well. One of the guys told me that he was on track to get a couple of A's. Unfortunately, though, I think that they average grades between classes that are repeated. So if you got a D the first time, you will still fail if you repeat with a C. At least that's how I understood Dean Hall at orientation.

There's the lesson for those incoming students -- med school isn't about how smart you are; it's about how well you study. Some of us smart people get burned because we're used to getting by in school without putting in much time.

I'm pretty sure that the frontrunner by the numbers is a guy who shared a cadaver with me, and he is damn sharp. I do know a couple of people in my module who were accepted late but are definitely posting AOA-type marks this early in the game. One came in off the waitlist, and I'm sure she's a top ten student if her anatomy grade was at least similar to her other two. I'm not willing to say that order of acceptance is some kind of measure of how smart you are, but I do have to agree with exlaw in that study effort correlates with good grades. It's not a place for the lazy, and you check your MCAT score at the door. :(

By looking at my discussion board posts, one would think that I had absolutely aced biochemistry. Not so! Barely above the class average by the time Knehens was done with me. In fact, I'm pretty sure that all of the biochemistry-related discussions that I was engaged in were with students who were doing better than me by grades. The devil is in the details! I coulda told ya how HDL/LDL/chylomicron cycling WORKS in July, but memorizing the proteins specific to each particle was always something deemed "not important enough to learn" during undergrad/grad school. Same thing for protein translation--why worry about how the protein is synthesized when you can instead test me on which viral protein mimics an elongation factor? :mad:

I'm sure this is simply me speaking out of anxiety, but would it be worthwhile to learn all of the players in Kreb's, Glycolysis, etc. I was a biochemistry major, but I was never really required to learn the specific enzymes, only the number of carbons in the chain at each step. Having written this, I know that I will probably get the response that I expect... don't bother trying to get ahead before school starts... I'm just getting antsy.

How much weight does biochem have? Is it as negligible as Embryo?

Also, I find that when I am reading text, I tend to daydream. This means that I have to reread things several times unless I am particularly focused. Do you guys do hardcore studying for like 3 hours straight or do you take a break every hour or half?

In the course of your studying, how much ancillary investigation do you have to do in order to learn terminology? Right now, medical jargon seems like a foreign language... especially when people start throwing out terms like COPD'er, CABG, etc. I'm curious if, when you are reading through notes, you run across terms and have no idea what they are referring to.

Has anyone spoken much to the M3's and M4's? I am curious what the clinical experiences are like in Tulsa and OKC. Do you get to do procedures like spinal taps and main lines or is it just glorified shadowing with a dose of big pimpin? Is it all "scat" work or do they put forth the effort to make you a compitent clinician? I know this may not be the appropriate audience, but at this point, heresay is as good as the real thing.

I'm sure this is simply me speaking out of anxiety, but would it be worthwhile to learn all of the players in Kreb's, Glycolysis, etc. I was a biochemistry major, but I was never really required to learn the specific enzymes, only the number of carbons in the chain at each step. Having written this, I know that I will probably get the response that I expect... don't bother trying to get ahead before school starts... I'm just getting antsy.

Soonergeek,
If you're chomping at the bit to get your study on, I can let you borrow a couple of books that will help you.

Okie Notes (Biochem) written by the head prof of the dept here at OUHSC.

After you read that a couple of times I'll loan you my Embryology book we used.

If you get a good jump on those two subjects you can focus more on GA during the actual school year.

Johnny

The devil is in the details!

Hey, I said that exact same thing over in the pre-allo thread regarding what class do / did you hate the most?

I said I hated physics most, but had the hardest time w/cell bio b/c the devil's in the details.

What can I say, great minds think alike! [and like to ignore the details....] :idea:

Yeah, the 2009er person -- I talked to her once, and it was clear her heart wasn't in it.
Yeah, it's too bad. I met her briefly and she seemed like a very nice lady. But whenever I saw her in class, she looked deeply unhappy. I wonder if she had second thoughts about repeating MS-I or if she allowed herself to be talked into it. She looked like she wasn't having a good time pretty early on.
I'm sure this is simply me speaking out of anxiety, but would it be worthwhile to learn all of the players in Kreb's, Glycolysis, etc. I was a biochemistry major
Well, Johnny offered you some good books. But, yup, I think you're getting nervous over nothing. There is a certain element of binge/purge in biochem. If you learn all your metabolism stuff now, you won't have room in your poor brain for the Block 1 material. Metabolism is Block 2. Binge on Block 1, then purge, then binge on Block 2.
No, it isn't. If it weren't for the clock hours spent in anatomy lab, biochemistry would have the greatest number of clock hours for semester by far - it's the only class you'll attend five days a week. Embryo is only one day a week - but I wouldn't say 'negligible' - it's quite challenging at times and you have to pass it.
Also, I find that when I am reading text, I tend to daydream. This means that I have to reread things several times unless I am particularly focused. Do you guys do hardcore studying for like 3 hours straight or do you take a break every hour or half? In the course of your studying, how much ancillary investigation do you have to do in order to learn terminology?
Everyone develops his own study style and you'll have to find your own 'sweet spot' - what works for you. I know some people who have trouble focusing who like to study at the library to minimize distractions. I prefer to study at home - I can study for several hours at a time but I am up frequently for water, coffee, snacks, bathroom break, let the dog in/out, etc. You won't have much terminology you've never seen before first year - I have a Stedman's Medical Dictionary that I keep around and use once in a while.
Has anyone spoken much to the M3's and M4's? I am curious what the clinical experiences are like in Tulsa and OKC. Do you get to do procedures like spinal taps and main lines or is it just glorified shadowing with a dose of big pimpin? Is it all "scat" work or do they put forth the effort to make you a compitent clinician?
OU is USNWR-ranked in primary care - I'd say they put forth the effort to give you an opportunity to make yourself a competent clinician ::slightly hurt look::. Tulsa vs. OKC is a decision you'll have to make in your second year. Tulsa is a highly-regarded community-based program that teaches in private hospitals - it has small "team" sizes and probably more 1:1 contact. OKC, however, teaches at the busiest public hospitals in the state and there isn't much that you won't see. Both have advantages and disadvantages and the character of the programs are quite different. There is some rivalry and I've heard nasty comments about both campuses - but, basically, I think it comes down to which program structure appeals to you (plus personal factors - me, I can't wait to get home to Tulsa for good).

If only. :) Unfortunately, biochem is weighted about as much as anatomy. It's 128 hours, whereas embryo is something like 30 hours.

The good news about biochem is that you don't really need to understand it or the chemistry behind it to do well. I hadn't taken a chemistry class since the '90s and still managed to make an A, albeit a low A, but that was more from lack of studying. That's also the bad news about biochem -- you feel like you're memorizing all this junk, and you have no idea what it means. For example, what the hell is POMC? I memorized something about it, but I have no clue what it is. Actually, that's how all of med school feels to me so far. :oops:

For example, what the hell is POMC? I memorized something about it, but I have no clue what it is. Actually, that's how all of med school feels to me so far. :oops:

lol
that's how i feel...reading and memorizing for exams doesn't ever get stuff to "click" in my wee noggin.

And like nontrad said...I do the STUDY STUDY STUDY --->> Flush & reboot ---->>>STUDY STUDY STUDY --->> Flush & reboot

If I had it to do again I would've studied as much Embryo and GA before classes started as I could. (Of course come May I'll be saying "I wished I'd used that 3 week break to study Histology, Neuro etc...)

Totally off subject, but George Michael had the best voice of any dude ever...I'm watching some vids of his on youtube...Praying for Time was an awesome song.:thumbup: Too bad he's so screwed up personally now with the pot n all that.

For example, what the hell is POMC? I memorized something about it, but I have no clue what it is. Actually, that's how all of med school feels to me so far. :oops:
Pro-opio-melano-corticotropin???? Or something like that. Has somethin' to do with ACTH. But why in heaven's name we had to know how it was spliced was totally beyond me - Fuller asked us to memorize stuff that nobody in his right mind would ever retain longer than 5 minutes past the exam. Too bad he retired, though - he was a great lecturer (from listening to the tapes - I never went) and he was surprisingly merciful on the questions he asked. I still don't understand the people who loved him because he told you exactly what to know - didn't they ever clue in that he pretty much wanted you to know every page of his syllabus???

Pro-opio-melano-corticotropin???? Or something like that. Has somethin' to do with ACTH. But why in heaven's name we had to know how it was spliced was totally beyond me - Fuller asked us to memorize stuff that nobody in his right mind would ever retain longer than 5 minutes past the exam. Too bad he retired, though - he was a great lecturer (from listening to the tapes - I never went) and he was surprisingly merciful on the questions he asked. I still don't understand the people who loved him because he told you exactly what to know - didn't they ever clue in that he pretty much wanted you to know every page of his syllabus???

Yeah, and his syllabus mentioned something about how the POMC thing could only lead to MSH (I think it was MSH) in certain cells. What was MSH? Why did I care? He also didn't seem to know the difference between "it's" and "its," which is cool because he's a biochemist, and he'd really p&ss off O'Don because he spelled larynx as larnyx. :D Overall, though, his questions were great. I didn't listen to his lectures, but I trust that those were great, too. Too bad he's not going to teach anymore. :(

My biochem confession -- I stopped reading the things to know for all of the professors because it seemed like they all wanted us to know everything in the syllabus. :)

I dreamed last night that I had to take another anatomy test. Talk about a nightmare :scared:

Yea, I had a dream about you...but I wouldn't call it a nightmare :)

of course you might lol

If I had it to do again I would've studied as much Embryo and GA before classes started as I could.

What would you advise to study with?

My wife bought me the Netters flashcards to start learning anatomy and I saw a post earlier from the Wiz that said this would be a good place to start learning. What order does the course take the material(back, then head and neck, or whatever)?

What should one get for Embryo?

What would you advise to study with?

My wife bought me the Netters flashcards to start learning anatomy and I saw a post earlier from the Wiz that said this would be a good place to start learning.

What should one get for Embryo?

msg me if you want the book we used...I'll loan it to you for a while...you can read the whole thing in a couple of days if you want...read it twice at least.\

Don't think your 4.0 undergrad and 38 mcat is gonna help you now.

Time for real studying starts now.

Status
Not open for further replies.