Oklahoma future 2011ers part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You sure? :)

when it comes to ladies like yourself..
I'm only sure that I don't know squat...

But I know what I'd like :)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think your 4.0 undergrad and 38 mcat is gonna help you now.

I didn't make a 38...it was a 34. :oops:

But seriously, I know that I need to learn to study so I want to start early on it. That way maybe the firehose of information is slightly less drowning (engineering is more concept based, so I'm not used to huge volumes of rote (sp?) memorization). I think that I am also at a disadvantage with having only the minimum pre-req bio courses (8 hrs, and I CLEPed 5 of those after studying for the August MCAT with Cell Bio this coming spring).

I didn't make a 38...it was a 34. :oops:

But seriously, I know that I need to learn to study so I want to start early on it. That way maybe the firehose of information is slightly less drowning (engineering is more concept based, so I'm not used to huge volumes of rote (sp?) memorization). I think that I am also at a disadvantage with having only the minimum pre-req bio courses (8 hrs, and I CLEPed 5 of those after studying for the August MCAT with Cell Bio this coming spring).

Well, so far my lack of biology classes hasn't been a huge detriment, so I wouldn't worry about it that much. My thought is that they know what they're doing when they set up the prereqs, so if you have those, you'll be fine. :)

As for the studying thing, I think you'll be okay as long as you're willing to put in the time. You also have to be willing to acknowledge going in that your ability to see the big picture or conceptualize things isn't going to help you that much in the first two years. From reading sdn, it seems like the engineers get burned because they sort of recognize that but sort of don't. I know it's hard in that it forces you to go against everything you've learned before, but that's how it goes. The good news is that this phase only lasts two years, and all your critical thinking skills will help you out later. :cool:

Bleh, sorry for the lecture -- I just had to get that out. You'll do just fine. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I just had a 30 minute conversation with my husband about how I was fat and needed plastic surgery. :oops: Poor guy. :)

he said that? balls galore.

you are damn sexy as is...anyone who thinks different is a doofus.

I'd be honored to have your beautiful self on my arm anytime. :thumbup:

Even if you aren't into me...you're way too beautiful to listen to crap like that...
and I'd be happy to have you anytime. :)

Cell Bio this coming spring).

Ortiz? (I think that's the spelling). I really enjoyed that class. A good amount of stuyding but the lectures are rather entertaining.

Ortiz? (I think that's the spelling). I really enjoyed that class. A good amount of stuyding but the lectures are rather entertaining.

Yep. Dr. O. I already got the book and was looking through it and it seemed like I had already learned the majority of the material studying for the MCAT, but that may be my engineering big picture mentality raising its ugly head. :)

he said that? balls galore.

you are damn sexy as is...anyone who thinks different is a doofus.

I'd be honored to have your beautiful self on my arm anytime. :thumbup:

Even if you aren't into me...you're way too beautiful to listen to crap like that...
and I'd be happy to have you anytime. :)

Nah, he didn't say it. I said it. I was going into my typical female I'm ugly thing. I think we all do that. Anyway, "poor guy" because I was asking him stuff like "how do you feel about me being semi-fat now?" I think that's about as bad as "Do I look fat in this?" :D

I appreciate the kind comments, though. :)

I wanted to respond earlier, but I had to go to work. :( Great questions!

I'm sure this is simply me speaking out of anxiety, but would it be worthwhile to learn all of the players in Kreb's, Glycolysis, etc. I was a biochemistry major, but I was never really required to learn the specific enzymes, only the number of carbons in the chain at each step. Having written this, I know that I will probably get the response that I expect... don't bother trying to get ahead before school starts... I'm just getting antsy.

Only the enzymes where pathway control points exist are emphasized. These are the enzymes that will have associated pathologies in M2 pathophys and drug targets in M2 pharmacology. I had to know all of 'em in years past, but it didn't do me much good here (kinda like knowing the structures of the amino acids). Likewise with the also-mentioned POMC, Wizard's premed biznitch, I could show you a nice 3D structure of the polypeptide complete with all of its cleavage sites, but I didn't know the crap about MSH, only ACTH. Again, not really a chemistry class, just memorize and you'll do well.

For what it's worth, I actually did go back through my Netter's flash cards over the summer for anatomy, and it did help me some. It's just that in the past I was used to much more of what I'd call a muscle/action emphasis (I was an exercise physiology grad student at one time), whereas here, mucho more emphasis is placed on the nerves.

As for biochem, though, the best quickie review IMO is in First Aid for USMLE Step 1. You might also like Clinical Biochemistry Made Ridiculously Simple. The PA students actually use it as their text.

How much weight does biochem have? Is it as negligible as Embryo?

(already answered) If you want, you can PM me with your email address, and I can email you a schedule of how many contact hours each of our classes is worth. Alternatively, you can look at the class schedule books available on the web.

Also, I find that when I am reading text, I tend to daydream. This means that I have to reread things several times unless I am particularly focused. Do you guys do hardcore studying for like 3 hours straight or do you take a break every hour or half?

I have the same problem, only I start the daydreaming about five minutes into it. That's why these other people have better grades than me. I only study on the elliptical in hour-long increments.

Just be careful, though, some gym patrons don't particularly care much for you looking at detailed photographs of dissected cadavers in their proximity.

In the course of your studying, how much ancillary investigation do you have to do in order to learn terminology? Right now, medical jargon seems like a foreign language... especially when people start throwing out terms like COPD'er, CABG, etc. I'm curious if, when you are reading through notes, you run across terms and have no idea what they are referring to.

I'm going to resist venting here, but I haven't heard much clinical jargon at all. M1 has turned out to be what most of the lay public probably thinks "pre-med" is. Medical acronyms and abbreviations so far have only existed in a PCM table that was not tested over. There are some terms thrown around during PBL, but again, that learning is really for our own edification only and not a big part of our evaluation. So to answer your question, those terms haven't really been thrown around yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that after I've shelled out a few more thousand dollars I'll start learning actual medicine.

I'll only add here that this approach seems pretty uniform throughout medical education because, after all, step one of the USMLE is essentially a science exam and not a clinical exam. Gotta wait for step 2 and 3 to actually demonstrate doctoring ability. Should I go off now about how some residency paths believe that step 1 score is a better predictor of your potential as a doc than step 2? Naw, not today. :rolleyes:

Has anyone spoken much to the M3's and M4's? I am curious what the clinical experiences are like in Tulsa and OKC. Do you get to do procedures like spinal taps and main lines or is it just glorified shadowing with a dose of big pimpin? Is it all "scat" work or do they put forth the effort to make you a compitent clinician? I know this may not be the appropriate audience, but at this point, heresay is as good as the real thing.

With exceptions being students whom I actually know from previous lives, M3/4's vanish like virgins on prom night once step one is done. There are two sides to Everett Drive. The west side is where you live if you are M3/M4. Once you cross over (with step one as your ticket), you lose the ability to correspond with others, I imagine because you don't have time. Those of us who still have the time to post on SDN yearn to one day safely cross Everett Drive for a purpose other than to eat in the hospital cafeteria. We've heard of the clinical environment, both its amazing glory and horrifying pace. How we one day hope to tail a resident begging for that opportunity to run his pt's stool sample to the lab, and we can only desire to actually know what rales and ronchi sound like on a real sick person.

Just playin dawg. Your exposure will depend on your service, team, and attending. I've heard 101 stories so I'll leave it at that. BTW if you leave M3 without doing a lumbar puncture, you aren't getting your money's worth out of your tuition. A lot of subjective evals will come from demonstrating an eagerness to learn and practice. I'm sure that you can get by being shy and timid because the residents need to keep up with their procedure logs, but it's certainly not going to be to your advantage to hang out in the rear with the gear.

What would you advise to study with?

My wife bought me the Netters flashcards to start learning anatomy and I saw a post earlier from the Wiz that said this would be a good place to start learning. What order does the course take the material(back, then head and neck, or whatever)?

What should one get for Embryo?
Well, I've given enough advice for one day. 2010 folks, am I the only one who finds this eager-beaver determination of the new 2011 folks to study ahead to be kind of endearing? All things considered, studying ahead for MS-I is kind of like tightening your seat belt just before a plane crash. It won't make much difference to the outcome, but you can do it if it makes you feel better. :laugh:

Seriously, 2011 guys, we did it and you'll do just fine, too (and my teasing is affectionate). You'd be better off enjoying your last Spring and Summer of freedom. Study a little anatomy if you'd like - but, honestly, if I had things to do over, I would have focused on getting more of my house organized, throwing out old paperwork, that sort of thing before school started - I didn't know that I would have so little time for domestic concerns in the next two years.

M3/4's vanish like virgins on prom night once step one is done.

yea wiz....both my sisters are fine...and they said to tell you stop calling them b4 they get a restraining apparatus for you. Not sure what that means....

btw..if you deflower my sisters I will personally tie you down and have you sodomized by 74 angry midgets and a hippopotamus. ;)

Well, I've given enough advice for one day. 2010 folks, am I the only one who finds this eager-beaver determination of the new 2011 folks to study ahead to be kind of endearing? All things considered, studying ahead for MS-I is kind of like tightening your seat belt just before a plane crash. It won't make much difference to the outcome, but you can do it if it makes you feel better. :laugh:

Seriously, 2011 guys, we did it and you'll do just fine, too (and my teasing is affectionate). You'd be better off enjoying your last Spring and Summer of freedom. Study a little anatomy if you'd like - but, honestly, if I had things to do over, I would have focused on getting more of my house organized, throwing out old paperwork, that sort of thing before school started - I didn't know that I would have so little time for domestic concerns in the next two years.
As usual, non trad's wisdom shines as a beacon in this mass of confusion. And he made better grades than me. He's the most note-taking mofo I know.

And yea, get your house cleaned. :D

So here is what I have spent my break on so far:

47b6cc11b3127cce806fa2621d5400000026108AZM27hmzZtX

I don't want to go back, but I have to admit to listening to last years physiology lectures to try and get a head start. So I understand where all you 2011 people are coming from. I would have to say even more beneficial than studying up would be to do things to simplify your life. Get all your crap in order before you start school. As you are making your way through the first semester you will appreciate having everything else in order and a freezer full of frozen dinners more than any studying you could have accomplished.

Also, I wish I would have lost about 15lbs before school started, that way right now I would still fit into my old clothes. :laugh:

I hate to admit to being nosy, but could someone PM that list of people who dropped out? It looks like one of them is my mod I had no idea anyone there was in trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. Dr. O. I already got the book and was looking through it and it seemed like I had already learned the majority of the material studying for the MCAT, but that may be my engineering big picture mentality raising its ugly head. :)

Yep, I used a lot of the stuff I learned in there for the MCAT, but it's a bit more detailed. Just FYI, his tests and quizes consist of applying the knowledge, not strictly memorization. I think most people get thrown off by that on the first test and quiz. Good luck!

Should I throw out all my old books and papers after May? I figure most of it won't be useful, aside from my anatomy notes (netters and handmade diagrams).

yea wiz....both my sisters are fine...and they said to tell you stop calling them b4 they get a restraining apparatus for you. Not sure what that means....

That's Freeze imitating my voice on the phone. :laugh:

RE: your DB post, I'm pretty sure that you still have full access to the BSEB. I stopped off after work the other day to get a book. Just keep walking past 213 if there is a necktie on the door handle. ;)

Also, I wish I would have lost about 15lbs before school started, that way right now I would still fit into my old clothes. :laugh:

Don't worry, you're still gorgeous enough to fit into my dreams. :love:

Should I throw out all my old books and papers after May? I figure most of it won't be useful, aside from my anatomy notes (netters and handmade diagrams).

I haven't saved anything from a class since Clinton was president. Some of your old texts might be useful to you (like Alberts' Cell Bio for a slice of biochem), but I just didn't have the time or dedication to go beyond our syllabus or a single text per class. I'd tend to think that you'd get more value out of them at the textbook buyback aisle than as an M1. Here is a list of our suggested books:

http://w3.ouhsc.edu/medicine2009/index_files/Page454.htm

But don't go buying them all thinking that they're all wonderful. There are stories of student X whose daddy just walked into Ratcliffe's with his credit card and snatched 'em all--big $$ waste. Daddy coulda simply waived his fee on his last five consults if he was feeling charitable.

BTW First Aid has a 2007 version out now.

I'll agree with NTT and the others. If I did any pre-August preparation, it was because I was a geek who actually enjoys reading that stuff (at least until said interest was obliterated by a few select folks).

Am I the only one jamming to Styx right now? I think I blew out a speaker in my Civic cranking ZZTop a couple of weeks ago. Gotta love the Jack FM.

Well, I've given enough advice for one day.

And we appreciate all your comments :thumbup:

Study a little anatomy if you'd like...

I think that is what I will try to do...learn some of the major structures here and there (or whatever I have time to learn, nothing intense), just so I have some landmarks when the real deal comes around.

I think I read earlier in the thread that Rohen's is good for pics of how the structures look on cadavers. Would anyone advise that I get this now and supplement whatever I do learn in the Netters flashcards with the same structures in Rohen's?

I think I read earlier in the thread that Rohen's is good for pics of how the structures look on cadavers. Would anyone advise that I get this now and supplement whatever I do learn in the Netters flashcards with the same structures in Rohen's?

Go for it dawg. I woulda given you mine, but they were offering $25 for my copy at Ratcliffe's. Netter's is drawings, Rohen's is photos of actual dissections. However, Rohen's dissections are a lot cleaner than anything we could reproduce. Rohen and Chung are buds.

TB 1: back, back of neck, shoulder, pec, arm, (mini-exam), forearm, hand, thorax (above diaphragm)

TB 2: abdomen and contents, pelvic cavity, perineum, lower extremity

TB 3: neck, head (with a mini practical in the middle)

Disclaimer: Order subject to change.

If I have one complaint, it's that it seems to be very difficult to find a single plate that traces an artery or nerve it's full course. Let's say that you want to go down the subclavian artery and name it's branches in order, for instance. True, they're not gonna ask "name the branches in order;" they're gonna ask which of the following combinations of muscles will be ischemic if you clamp between X and Y, i.e. you have to know the branches and their branches' branches, etc. to be able to take an educated guess at the correct answer. (Watch out for that damn shortcut around the scapula.) Point is, I never found a picture that properly showed me what I wanted to see. Best source I could find? Wikipedia. There is a facebook group called "I'm using Wikipedia to get through medical school." :laugh:

And we appreciate all your comments :thumbup:
LOL... this virtual medium being what it is, I have no idea how much sarcasm went into the above comment!!! Actually, although much of the "Guide to Surviving First Year Medical School" was somewhat useful to me, there were some things that I completely disagreed with. If I can figure-out how to set-up a web page, I may just write my own guide if I thought anybody would read it. Then I can share my numerous (numerous) opinions without being edited and without torturing the innocent on SDN. Maybe I'll recruit Wiz, Johnny, Freeze, and Exlaw to help me - we are old enough to know what's what and can tell you how things really are. I did discover that, if you're interested, you can see all the profs who tortured us in biochem at http://w3.ouhsc.edu/biochem/faculty.htm
Sure, you can buy Rohen's at any time. Netter's paintings are very well done and they're great to learn from the first time through but you need Rohen's to see how the structures actually look on a preserved cadaver... Netter's is almost useless for that. No one on this thread is likely to agree with me, but I will say that I also picked-up a used copy of Grant's atlas to supplement Netter for head and neck - Grant's has some great narrative and tables that I found extremely helpful. Most of the stuff in Grant's is also in Moore's (the core textbook for the course) - but Moore's is so bloody long - over 100 pages of 10-point type for a typical chapter - that I never had time to read it much. In fact, I would have scored higher on the Block 1 mini if I hadn't decided to read every word of Moore's - that just didn't work for me.

Some advice on Rohen's - no matter how cool you think it is, don't share the neat pictures with your non-medical family and friends (I actually told my family not to open it when I brought it home to Tulsa to study). I also wouldn't recommend taking it to Starbucks' for a study break. Normal people may vomit or pass out - but even if they don't, they'll be P.O.'d at you for showing it to them. Normal people seem to be very sensitive about open cadavers. :eek: I thought Gross Anatomy lab was going to be a horror for me, but actually it seemed quite normal after just a week or two.

As far as tracing structures, I actually found that cr*ppy Netter's CD that we have in the mod pretty helpful, Wiz. You could type in a structure and all of the plates where it runs come up. Of course, that CD will wear-out your CD drive, but I did use it at times.

I did discover that, if you're interested, you can see all the profs who tortured us in biochem at http://w3.ouhsc.edu/biochem/faculty.htm

Yeah you will see me in one of the lab pictures if you look at all of them (hint: It's the lab of a faculty member who didn't teach any of our class, he is DeAngelis' counterpart for the Dental/Pharm biochem course instead). I won't say which one because I am rather rotund in the photo. I didn't know we were having our pics taken that day. Plus I got fired from that lab over two years ago, really wish that they'd change the photo...

...No one on this thread is likely to agree with me, but I will say that I also picked-up a used copy of Grant's atlas to supplement Netter for head and neck - Grant's has some great narrative and tables that I found extremely helpful...

Can't agree or disagree personally. I didn't try Grant's. Different stuff works for different people!

...Normal people seem to be very sensitive about open cadavers...

Yeah I drew some dirty looks at my gym.

Want some practice tests too?

http://anatomy.med.umich.edu/courseinfo/mich_quiz_index.html

Cheers. :D

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=352693

Is your student government responsible for raising the monies to pay for graduation? Seems like a huge pile of BS after paying all that tuition...

I've heard something about our match party during M4, but I think that graduation is covered by the school.

LOL, don't tell the deans that we pay a lot in tuition. According to them, only 3% of the operating budget comes from tuition. I say "swell, let's make it 2% then and give me back $6000!" :clap: (Deleting Boren bash, Texas comment, and rant about wasteful administrative costs.)

Yeah you will see me in one of the lab pictures if you look at all of them.

Just to be clear, I wasn't involved in any animal research. :thumbup: {exlaw}

SoonerEng, I really enjoyed Ortiz a lot. He has a great lecturing style and is an all around nice guy. His was one of the only post-bacc courses that I have taken (so far), and he actually ended up writing me an LOR... so I may be biased.

Based on everything I know about you thus far, I would say that your classmates are lucky that he does not grade on a curve... you should obliterate that course. That being said, there were plenty of grumbles about how hard the course was, and I was only taking that class at the time.

If you have had biochem or micro, there is a significant amount of overlap from both of those courses. Luckily, he does not thrust much botany upon you (thats his bag).

Wizard, did I read correctly that you ONLY study 1 hour every day while on an elliptical?

2010'ers, I'd like to make a date with you guys for this summer. How about letting some of the incoming 2011'ers buy you dinner and chat about school?

Oh, and DRIVE SAFE tonight, everyone. May all your cups be full and your hangovers brief.

LOL... this virtual medium being what it is, I have no idea how much sarcasm went into the above comment!!!

Not even a hint of sarcasm...I take everyone who posts on this thread to be an expert at medical school regardless of their class rank (assuming they are actually in med school and passing) because they are succeeding at it. All the different opinions help me know what the experience is like from many different angles.

Wiz, thanks for the link to the UMich anatomy quiz site...that way I can see just how much I don't know after I think I've learned a lot. :laugh:

Wizard, did I read correctly that you ONLY study 1 hour every day while on an elliptical?

Are you saying that's not much, a lot, or are you saying that I spend too much time on the elliptical? I have to couple studying with exercise or I won't do either. I had surgery on my neck last year and stopped exercising--very bad for my blood pressure (right now about 150/85) and overall health. If I can't get it down myself, I'm going to have to go back to the meds. With my health insurance coverage as it exists, I can't get good drugs without undesirable side effects. I'd be terrible at primary care. I think I'd be like, "Sir you're not complying with my instructions to manage your lifestyle. I'm not giving you any drugs, now get out of my office before you have a heart attack and sue me." Any use for a doc who doesn't wanna give pills? Pathology anyone?

On a typical day, I'd cover about a third or so of a given class's block material in an hour on the elliptical. As for Rohen's, I could read it if there wasn't anyone on my neighboring treadmill. In the long run, though, Rohen's didn't help me learn that much. I did okay on practical one and the mini practical, but my other two practicals were big time stinkers. I'm afraid that I see no value in practicals for the USMLE, and as far as surgery is concerned, the approaches, views, and landmarks are not the same as a cadaver dissection. Ma'am I'm going to be doing surgery on your ear, but first I'm going to pull your brain out and saw your head in half.

It would be more correct to say that I studied in "one hour increments." If covering a shift at the hospital, I might not have time to study on a given day; and in those days where they don't put some time-waster on the schedule to make me come to campus, I could do an hour in the morning and one in the evening. On a free weekend, I'd try to get three hours in each day.

Probably have to make some adjustments after sliding about 50 slots over four December days.

Funny thing over break--I can't do cardio without course material to read (have to block the monitor so I don't look at the time and need to have something to do with my hands), so I got the histo syllabus to glance at. Boring indeed, but at least the syllabus is uniform. Too bad I hate reading or I'd get a fiction novel.

Oh, and DRIVE SAFE tonight, everyone. May all your cups be full and your hangovers brief.

No driving for me. I'll be quietly sitting at my microscope tonight and the following two nights with Diet Dr. Pepper waiting in my break room. So if you or your wife has unexplained abdominal pain between the hours of 2200 and 0630, don't come to OU Medical Center unless you want me to know what's living in your nether-regions.

Wiz, thanks for the link to the UMich anatomy quiz site...that way I can see just how much I don't know after I think I've learned a lot. :laugh:

Yeah just beware that those Q's are still a tier or two under the O'Don testing level. ;)

Now playing on my stereo: "Too Much Time on My Hands" (Styx)

LOL... this virtual medium being what it is, I have no idea how much sarcasm went into the above comment!!! Actually, although much of the "Guide to Surviving First Year Medical School" was somewhat useful to me, there were some things that I completely disagreed with. If I can figure-out how to set-up a web page, I may just write my own guide if I thought anybody would read it. Then I can share my numerous (numerous) opinions without being edited and without torturing the innocent on SDN. Maybe I'll recruit Wiz, Johnny, Freeze, and Exlaw to help me - we are old enough to know what's what and can tell you how things really are. I did discover that, if you're interested, you can see all the profs who tortured us in biochem at http://w3.ouhsc.edu/biochem/faculty.htm

Sure, you can buy Rohen's at any time. Netter's paintings are very well done and they're great to learn from the first time through but you need Rohen's to see how the structures actually look on a preserved cadaver... Netter's is almost useless for that. No one on this thread is likely to agree with me, but I will say that I also picked-up a used copy of Grant's atlas to supplement Netter for head and neck - Grant's has some great narrative and tables that I found extremely helpful. Most of the stuff in Grant's is also in Moore's (the core textbook for the course) - but Moore's is so bloody long - over 100 pages of 10-point type for a typical chapter - that I never had time to read it much. In fact, I would have scored higher on the Block 1 mini if I hadn't decided to read every word of Moore's - that just didn't work for me.

Some advice on Rohen's - no matter how cool you think it is, don't share the neat pictures with your non-medical family and friends (I actually told my family not to open it when I brought it home to Tulsa to study). I also wouldn't recommend taking it to Starbucks' for a study break. Normal people may vomit or pass out - but even if they don't, they'll be P.O.'d at you for showing it to them. Normal people seem to be very sensitive about open cadavers. :eek: I thought Gross Anatomy lab was going to be a horror for me, but actually it seemed quite normal after just a week or two.

As far as tracing structures, I actually found that cr*ppy Netter's CD that we have in the mod pretty helpful, Wiz. You could type in a structure and all of the plates where it runs come up. Of course, that CD will wear-out your CD drive, but I did use it at times.

Dang...I wish I had known about the netters cd. I mighta got a C+ ;)

If you've never made a website I can maybe help...that's what I did in my previous life.

I bought rohens and took it back after a couple of weeks cuz it was hard for me to learn from...got netters instead....then got rohens again a couple months later cuz i could understand it at that point.

The CD is cool because you can just search for a structure. No page flipping.

I've made my fair share of webpages in previous lives too, only I'm old school. I still code by hand. I learned cascading style sheets about three years ago--completely changed the way I do things. Save for my myspace page, webmastering is something I gave up last summer. :( I was thinking about running for 2010 webmaster, but I don't think that anybody really uses the site much.

2010'ers, I'd like to make a date with you guys for this summer. How about letting some of the incoming 2011'ers buy you dinner and chat about school?

Wow, finally a date. The long-term drought is over!! Seriously, you'll be sick of the sight of us before you get to your first day of class. During orientation week we'll have a dinner that you'll be invited to - on us, actually. I don't know when the Class of 2010 will get it started, but I'm sure that we'll continue the "mentor" program - where each member of the Class of 2011 will have a chance to be matched with a person from the Class of 2010. That may sound hokey, but it isn't. My mentor gave me extra notes, plenty of advice, and moral support.

Actually, if you want to have an SDN-get-together before school starts, I'm all about that. We talked about it last year but it never came together and we met each other by hit-and-miss... it was really funny when somebody would slide up to me in class and hiss, "are you NonTrad-Tulsa"? Of course I am - just look at the wrinkles in the corners of my eyes.

If somebody requests me as a mentor, you'll get an opinionated, bitchy, controlling person. I'll leave you alone until you do poorly on the Block 1 mini exams - then we'll have serious talks about fixing your study habits and my dog may nip your backside. But... you may also get access to my extensive anatomy notes collection (I take notes with my laptop on the PowerPoint slides used in class and print them out on my color laser, which turned out to be indispensible when I first thought it was a frivolous luxury). I also have my mentor's HB notes, which for some reason are not distributed as freely as the biochem reviews are... the compressed HB notes saved my backside (we can talk about Human Behavior later... I don't recommend all-nighters and everyone tries to get to their HB notes, but on Block 1 exam day it was obvious that 80% of us had been up all night - the lecture hall lobby looked like the Night of the Living Dead - especially me, since I'm way too old for that).

As far as New Years', well, happy 2007 to all! On to bigger and better things! I don't know if I'll go out tonight or not. I gave up the evil EtOH years ago, and driving on "party" nights terrifies me. I can't believe all those years of my youth that I was so focused on my own driving that I never noticed the inebriated fools who seem determined to kill me. Actually, a night at the OU Medical Center ED might be highly entertaining. I'm coming back to the City on Monday or Tuesday... getting back to reality the weekend before class starts would be too depressing. Anybody know when the Spring semester disbursement date is?

Hey, Johnny, I might be able to use some help with a web page. I know a little HTML for work by hand, but not much. During applications, I tried to downplay the fact that I actually went back to school in 2000, long before I started medical school pre-reqs. I had about 80% of a second Masters in Computer Science done at OSU before I came to my senses about what I wanted to do with the rest of my life (I'd heard that OU frowned on unfinished graduate programs, so I keep pretty mum about it - I'll get back to it someday). Anyway, we only learned advanced theory and impossibly convoluted algorithms - they didn't teach us grad students anything practical like web programming. :laugh: I was an older oddity back then, too - I was the only one in class who knew how to run a keypunch for punched-card program decks.

By the way, 2011, the Block 1 minis are a pain but they're a great idea. They'll come after about 3 weeks of class... they're not worth much (anatomy - 5% of your grade, biochem - 12%) but you'll get a flavor for what a real block exam is like and you'll know whether or not you're studying properly. If there's a problem, you still have 2 weeks before the real Block 1 exams.

SoonerEng, I really enjoyed Ortiz a lot. He has a great lecturing style and is an all around nice guy.

I talked with him for about 20 min one day while I was on campus before I interviewed at OUCOM...isn't he codirector for the premed or something at OU?...anyway, he was super nice and gave me some good advice. I am looking forward to the class since he's teaching it.

That being said, there were plenty of grumbles about how hard the course was, and I was only taking that class at the time.

I will be taking that class on campus and organic 2 through independent study, so with my day job as pillager of the earth's natural resources, I should still have the time needed to devote to studying as well as throwing some anatomy in there for good measure. :)

well...ok...but I don't put out until the second half of the first date ;)

Yep, ortiz is a pre-med advisor.

I wonder if it's warm where Saddam is :D

Wow, I bet I'm the only loser who has nothing better to do on New Year's Eve than give you my opinion on anatomy atlases:

I have Rohens and really didn't find it very helpful, and definitely not worth the money. I was able to do well on the practicals by just watching the videos and paying attention in lab. I have a Grant's atlas that was fine, but I barely used that as well.

Just to be clear, I wasn't involved in any animal research. :thumbup: {exlaw}

Yay! :thumbup: Yeah, I've heard all the logical arguments for animal research and don't think people who do it are evil, bad people, but I'm glad you didn't. :D

Speaking of animal torture, though, my cats are hungry. We left town on Wednesday planning to be back Saturday and have since been stuck in New Mexico due to a freak winter storm (it apparently doesn't snow much in New Mexico outside of the mountains). I-40's been closed since Thursday at least. We went on this crazy detour through Roswell today and tried to make it to Amarillo, but apparently everybody and their dog is in Amarillo right now because of the 40 business. So, we're in beautiful Clovis, NM, and can't get to OKC until tomorrow. The kitty torture part is that we only left 4 days worth of food for them and stupidly forgot to leave a key with someone to feed them. So, I'm feeling pretty guilty right now. :(

The good news for us is that we bought some cheapo champagne yesterday at a Walgreens -- New Mexico is crazy in that all their Walgreens have full-service liquor stores. So, we can sorta celebrate New Years. It could be worse, I guess, but I'm sure you all are having more fun. :)

Wow, I bet I'm the only loser who has nothing better to do on New Year's Eve than give you my opinion on anatomy atlases:

I have Rohens and really didn't find it very helpful, and definitely not worth the money. I was able to do well on the practicals by just watching the videos and paying attention in lab. I have a Grant's atlas that was fine, but I barely used that as well.

I liked Rohen's, but it only gets you so far -- the videos are definitely better. However, unfortunately, I think the real key to doing well on the practicals is either just naturally being good at it or spending time in lab. :thumbdown: So glad that's over.

Yay! :thumbup: Yeah, I've heard all the logical arguments for animal research and don't think people who do it are evil, bad people, but I'm glad you didn't. :D

Speaking of animal torture, though, my cats are hungry. We left town on Wednesday planning to be back Saturday and have since been stuck in New Mexico due to a freak winter storm (it apparently doesn't snow much in New Mexico outside of the mountains). I-40's been closed since Thursday at least. We went on this crazy detour through Roswell today and tried to make it to Amarillo, but apparently everybody and their dog is in Amarillo right now because of the 40 business. So, we're in beautiful Clovis, NM, and can't get to OKC until tomorrow. The kitty torture part is that we only left 4 days worth of food for them and stupidly forgot to leave a key with someone to feed them. So, I'm feeling pretty guilty right now. :(
Edited to extend my life expectancy :)

I liked Rohen's, but it only gets you so far -- the videos are definitely better. However, unfortunately, I think the real key to doing well on the practicals is either just naturally being good at it or spending time in lab. :thumbdown: So glad that's over.
Poor you! Drinking Walgreens champagne in a motel in Clovis, NM (I'm sure it's not as sad as it sounds!!). Oh, well, at least it isn't Tucumcari. Drive carefully coming home - we need you back at school next Monday! Happy New Years to you and husband!!

I wish we did have a key - we'd go feed the death-ray kitties. Actually, I wish someone would drive by my house to let me know if there are any windows smashed... but, maybe I don't want to know until later this week.

I had this monkey who I used to spank on a regular basis.
Oh, man, that's BAD. Exlaw may hurt you when she gets back.

That makes me think of the one sex film that really sticks in my mind. Do you remember the one with the spinster-looking lady who was having such a hard time with the vaginal dilator #1 that looked like a cigarette broken in half? It took me a few minutes to realize that her vaginismus was putting her in deep psychological pain.

At first, I thought Dr. Tucker had brought in a pornographic remake of "The Princess and the Pea" for grins.

Oh, man, that's BAD. Exlaw may hurt you when she gets back.

That makes me think of the one sex film that really sticks in my mind. Do you remember the one with the spinster-looking lady who was having such a hard time with the vaginal dilator #1 that looked like a cigarette broken in half? It took me a few minutes to realize that her vaginismus was putting her in deep psychological pain.

At first, I thought Dr. Tucker had brought in a pornographic remake of "The Princess and the Pea" for grins.

Was that the "contract and relax" chick?

and yea I know..exlaw will beat the **** outta me one day :)

Happy New Year to all!!! :clap:
Indeed, Happy New Year to all! (I wasn't up as early as soonereng!)

Hey, soonereng, I like the new avatar - you have a death-ray kitty, too! I think exlaw's death-ray kitty is older and more experienced - I bet exlaw's kitty can wallop your kitty! (Hehehe.... )

Indeed, Happy New Year to all! (I wasn't up as early as soonereng!)

The curse of starting work at 7 am every morning is that no matter how late I stay up, I hardly ever sleep in past 7:30, maybe a good sign for medschool.

Hey, soonereng, I like the new avatar - you have a death-ray kitty, too! I think exlaw's death-ray kitty is older and more experienced - I bet exlaw's kitty can wallop your kitty! (Hehehe.... )

It's a picture of my siamese/manx mutt cat (looks siamese but has no tail) playing in our Christmas tree. I don't think she knows how to use her death rays, but she definitely knows how to hiss (she hates little kids due to bad experiences when she was young). Her secret weapon is that she'll purr you death though. :laugh:

I agree that exlaw's kitty could wallop mine as she is very small even though she is full-grown (she's two), but she hasn't been around other animals since she was six weeks old (although she did want a piece of that squirrel that got stuck in my fireplace).

It's a picture of my siamese/manx mutt cat (looks siamese but has no tail) playing in our Christmas tree. I don't think she knows how to use her death rays, but she definitely knows how to hiss (she hates little kids due to bad experiences when she was young). Her secret weapon is that she'll purr you death though. :laugh:

I agree that exlaw's kitty could wallop mine as she is very small even though she is full-grown (she's two), but she hasn't been around other animals since she was six weeks old (although she did want a piece of that squirrel that got stuck in my fireplace).

She's adorable! Shh, don't tell anyone, but my death ray kitty is pretty wimpy. My tough kitty is my little runt guy who breathes funnily (something he was born with) and has a broken tail. I think most cats hate small children because kids really are mean to cats.

So I looked at the grades for PCM and noted that only 21 people made official As (you know, 92% of higher). There are about 20 more people in that 90.67% hell that I'm in. :) I think it's weird that our pcm test has the lowest grades so far.

Why must we always choke in the bowl game?

I hate all teams with orange in their team colors.

SoonerEng, I really enjoyed Ortiz a lot. He has a great lecturing style and is an all around nice guy. His was one of the only post-bacc courses that I have taken (so far), and he actually ended up writing me an LOR... so I may be biased.

Based on everything I know about you thus far, I would say that your classmates are lucky that he does not grade on a curve... you should obliterate that course. That being said, there were plenty of grumbles about how hard the course was, and I was only taking that class at the time.

If you have had biochem or micro, there is a significant amount of overlap from both of those courses. Luckily, he does not thrust much botany upon you (thats his bag).

Just got to throw in my comment here: Cell Bio w/Ortiz was my worst and least favorite science class. Ortiz is a pretty funny guy, but he talks ridiculously fast & with an accent & occassionally throws some french & spanish into his lectures... b/c he can. I had a laptop to type notes on and I still missed half the stuff he was saying.

I think if I had taken Biochem before that class, it would have been easier - of course, it probably would have made biochem harder...

Also, having your fiance have a heart attack the night before the final (that you need to get an 80 on to keep a B) and not realizing that you could have requested an incomplete makes me a little bit bitter.

Another note, when I was at school about to do my pre-med advisory committee meeting, Dr. Ortiz was wandering around the area where it was supposed to be at... I was terrified he'd be one of my interviewers b/c his class was the class I've done the worst in! Thank God he wasn't.

I do think his class is useful prep for med school though (foreign teacher, difficult class, details details details...). My best tip - study really hard for the pop quizzes!!!

Why must we always choke in the bowl game?

That was the most emotionally-draining game in a long time. One thing can be said, though. Not one single fan left their seats early. We cheered as hard during our 18-point-deficit as we did when we caught the 2-pt conversion. Congratulations to the entire Sooner Nation for a hard fought year filled full of hurdles. BOOMER!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Just got back from the City. A friend of mine was nice enough to drive down the used Saturn I picked-up cheap from a friend at work when gas was over $3/gallon. I like my Jeep better, but now I'll have both cars at school. I had to drive down to bring the friend back. I was scared when I pulled up to my winter chalet in the hood, because the house was totally black - I figured that if the lamps I had left on were still lit, at least they hadn't stolen all of the furniture. Turns out the bulbs had burned-out - everything was fine. It even crossed my mind that one of you guys had figured out that there were several hundred dollars' worth of first semester textbooks left unguarded at my place!! :laugh:

Anyway, after nearly three weeks of being a complete slug, I found myself wanting to stay down there in the City rather than coming back up here. I miss my mod mates, I miss my SDN friends in the flesh, I even miss having interesting work to do (sorta). I guess the batteries are charged back up and I'm ready for Block 4 - or as ready as I'll ever be. I'm packing my bags and will be back tomorrow.

Just got back from the City. A friend of mine was nice enough to drive down the used Saturn I picked-up cheap from a friend at work when gas was over $3/gallon. I like my Jeep better, but now I'll have both cars at school. I had to drive down to bring the friend back. I was scared when I pulled up to my winter chalet in the hood, because the house was totally black - I figured that if the lamps I had left on were still lit, at least they hadn't stolen all of the furniture. Turns out the bulbs had burned-out - everything was fine. It even crossed my mind that one of you guys had figured out that there were several hundred dollars' worth of first semester textbooks left unguarded at my place!! :laugh:

Anyway, after nearly three weeks of being a complete slug, I found myself wanting to stay down there in the City rather than coming back up here. I miss my mod mates, I miss my SDN friends in the flesh, I even miss having interesting work to do (sorta). I guess the batteries are charged back up and I'm ready for Block 4 - or as ready as I'll ever be. I'm packing my bags and will be back tomorrow.

Glad to hear no one broke into your house. Of course, we good SDNers have been told by all the previous SDNers that most books are a waste of money. :)

I'm getting bored and ready to go back, too. I didn't leave my house all day yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.