Oklahoma future 2011ers part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No red envelope yet! Although I do know someone in Norman who got their deferral letter and he interviewed two days after me. WTF? What is that all about? Anybody else get anything? Is their any other way to get through all this waiting and anxiety w/o booze? I am like a stretched rubber band! I need to see red!

Nah, you just have to get more booze. :D Okay, so you probably know this, but OU decides your fate the day of your interview, so when you receive your letter means nothing that you can figure out. Anyway, g'luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Does Deferral=waitlist? I figured that's what i'd get. My interview was not stellar. Good luck to everyone.

Does Deferral=waitlist? I figured that's what i'd get. My interview was not stellar. Good luck to everyone.

Not really. It means that they won't make a final decision on your application until after they finish interviewing everyone. At that point, you could be accepted, waitlisted or rejected (well, realistically, not rejected). Unfortunately, from last year's thread, it seems like the deferred people did all wind up on the waitlist instead of getting accepted. Of course, about half the class gets in off the waitlist, so that's not the end of the world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really. It means that they won't make a final decision on your application until after they finish interviewing everyone. At that point, you could be accepted, waitlisted or rejected (well, realistically, not rejected). Unfortunately, from last year's thread, it seems like the deferred people did all wind up on the waitlist instead of getting accepted. Of course, about half the class gets in off the waitlist, so that's not the end of the world.

Does half of the class really come from the waitlist? Seems like a lot, but I'm not doubting you.

The reason is ou will not recieve my amcas for about a month. For an explanation it's on another thread.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=341553

Did this get sorted out for you, Oshoedr?

If poppytart is still around here, did you get through to the admissions office?

Does half of the class really come from the waitlist? Seems like a lot, but I'm not doubting you.

shortitalian, you are in Stillwater, no? I hope you took or are taking Mamm Phys. It's a mirror image of our M1 physiology class. I had it when Hellgren was still there, and the course was amazing. Out of 390 college hours, it's the only class I've ever paid non-resident tuition for, and I'm realizing now that it was worth every penny.

Throwing this quote in here so I can find it easier if I need to later on...

http://www.ouhsc.edu/admissions/reports/0607.htm

Check out Fall 2006 applicants by gender, residency, and age. There were 1404 applications last year, but 74% were by non-residents. Now look at the admitted chart--74% of 217 admitted were residents. Overall, 85% of those enrolled are residents by state mandate.

If 217 were admitted overall and the year eventually started with 167 in the class including 10 (estimated, I don't know this for sure) who were admitted the previous year, then 60 students must have declined their offers. Now of course several of the early interviewees had already yielded their spots both before the waitlist became fully populated and before interviews were over, so the early decliners likely freed up some extra original red envelopes if that makes any sense. (I'm using "red envelope" to differentiate a straight-out acceptance from a waitlist acceptance to simplify for the purposes of this post. Everyone knows that it doesn't really matter when you see the red since we all start at zero come orientation.)

Most schools will overfill their class a tad to cover for the early pull-outs, so just to throw an estimate out there, maybe the adcom had 180 red envelopes in play before starting the waitlist? Please argue if you know differently. So that would mean 37 got in off the waitlist? It seems like the estimate I heard before was something like 30-40, so this approximates that range.

I've never been given a figure for how long the waitlist is. Some places I interviewed at gave an actual rank list that you could watch online from day to day just like when you sit at the tag agency. "Now Serving Waitlistee 24. Come on down! You're the next contestant..."

I'm not really an expert on this stuff, though, since I only applied MD/PhD across the board last year. I never had any lists, deferrals, or anything like that, so I can't relate to most of the others who underwent the stress of this process.

Wizard

Yeah it worked out. My amcas was completed/reviewed on december 27th. After all interviews were given out. I called and emailed and begged. So when the bad weather came in last weekend there were some out of state cancelations. They called me tuesday 5:00 pm for an interview the next thursday.

I'm glad I got a shot at ou since it's my first choice.

And i'm relieved that deferred is a step above waitlist. Thanks for the info exlawgirl. Does any one know the chances or reasons for being deferred? Do they just want my last semester's grades or is more they just want to see what else is out there?

Thanks for all your help you guys are awesome.

exlaw, do you like bagels?

In case you didn't know, DrMom is allowing name changes through this weekend.

When I originally signed up, I think that I wanted to be "Critical Mass" or "Ice 9" though neither was available then. This name has kinda grown on me though.

Yeah it worked out. My amcas was completed/reviewed on december 27th. After all interviews were given out. I called and emailed and begged. So when the bad weather came in last weekend there were some out of state cancelations. They called me tuesday 5:00 pm for an interview the next thursday.

:thumbup: Hopefully poppytart was able to capitalize on this too. Keep us posted. I had never heard of the deferral thing until I read about it on SDN, so this vexes me much. :confused:

So current MS1s...

You've had 2 weeks to get in the groove. So is the second semester stacking up to be easier or harder than the first in your expert medical student opinion?

Well I'm with exlaw regarding the slow start out of the gate. I think that she might be at the medicine ball tonight. It was a masquerade theme, but I didn't go. Too many people for my comfort level.

I have to admit that it has been tough to get going. The weather has made it easy to hang out at home, and the neuro looks particularly challenging this time.

I will agree with the 09er's regarding Dr. Blair. He has impressed me so far--very structured regarding questions per lecture and so forth.

Overall, I like it better because it seems like this material is more interesting. It's probably tougher, but this time I think we all understand HOW to stay caught up (even if we don't seem to want to yet). A lot of us were held back in biochem because so much of our grade was determined by the first test block before we really got into the thick of the class, and gross was kind of a shock due to the volume of the new vocabulary needed. I think this time we have a feel for what to expect. Ask me again after the first mini exams.

Pay attention in Neuro. I didn't learn the tracts, nuclei, everything that well and it's biting me in the ass right now.

Stroke localization is tricky when you can't remember what is where in the brainstem. ;)

I'm not really an expert on this stuff, though, since I only applied MD/PhD across the board last year.

So you're doing the MD/PhD Wiz? What area will you do the PhD in?

I thought about going that route and getting a PhD in bioengineering, but I don't need any more letters after my name, med school and residency alone will be long enough, and I wouldn't want to be expected to do research the rest of my life; although there are some areas that I would like to do some research in, specifically animated prostheses and implantable devices.

Do any of you know of anyone at OU researching in these areas (perhaps at the ear institute)? If so, I would like to lend my engineering expertise to their efforts if needed.

Of course this is a selfish intention on my part because I think it will look good on my resume too. ;)

So you're doing the MD/PhD Wiz? What area will you do the PhD in?

I thought about going that route and getting a PhD in bioengineering, but I don't need any more letters after my name, med school and residency alone will be long enough, and I wouldn't want to be expected to do research the rest of my life; although there are some areas that I would like to do some research in, specifically animated prostheses and implantable devices.

No mudphud for me--multiple interviews since 2001, multiple rejections both here and in my home state (though I was closer there). I threw in the towel on that route, which by 06 was only attractive because of the money. I was interested in the degree path for what it was intended to be in my early 20's, but really for the last few years I've just been looking for more affordable ways to get into medicine (such as PA school). Mucho paranoia about physician salaries in the future.

Mudphud at OU is not really a typical program. They just take students with the best numbers and ignore research experience/potential. The last time that I applied, my MCAT score was over their program average, but as previously alluded to, my issues are more political. I got into a tangle with some faculty in both the biochem and micro departments in 03, and faculty don't ever let go of grudges. In my defense, I was asked to publish bad science; I refused and then tried to change departments/labs only to have my transfer attempt meddled with. That's when I fled to the hospital lab where I am now. Most people place a high value on having publications, but when I'm first author, I have high standards about what goes into it. :thumbup:

I took all of the classes for a PhD in Microbiology at Oklahoma State, but I never finished the dissertation.

Anyway I don't really think that MD/PhD has much value since it doesn't give you any job potential that you don't get with an MD. I've seen a lot of MD's and PhD's who think you're selling out for one reason or another. People just do it for the money or hope for a better residency match. With post-doctoral research training after residency, you're delaying your career by an additional 5-10 years in exchange for a hefty pay cut if you actually do go into academics. I settled with a regular MD path after being given a couple of scholarships to relieve my anxiety about the cost, but I lit up any bridges back to mudphud last October with an accidental email sent to one of the co-directors who is also a dean.

Do any of you know of anyone at OU researching in these areas (perhaps at the ear institute)? If so, I would like to lend my engineering expertise to their efforts if needed.

The only ORL who specializes in ears that I know is Saunders. ORL has 3 research jobs listed right now, so my feeling is that they are short-handed for personnel in general. I'd recommend emailing people.

The only ORL who specializes in ears that I know is Saunders. ORL has 3 research jobs listed right now, so my feeling is that they are short-handed for personnel in general.

I'm not specifically interested only in ears. That was just a suggestion since I think they were at one time working on some implantable device with the engineering dept at OU-Norman.

I'm really looking at ortho for residency (but who isn't?) since I want to work in an area that does both medical and surgical treatments (which also makes ORL attractive). Plus I love working with power tools. :thumbup:

Where did you find the listing for the research jobs? Any other areas looking for help? Could you PM a link?

I'm not specifically interested only in ears. That was just a suggestion since I think they were at one time working on some implantable device with the engineering dept at OU-Norman.

I'm really looking at ortho for residency (but who isn't?) since I want to work in an area that does both medical and surgical treatments (which also makes ORL attractive). Plus I love working with power tools. :thumbup:

Where did you find the listing for the research jobs?

http://www.ouhsc.edu/jobs/jobs.asp?jobtype=RS

Best bet is to email the department secretary and try to find out which faculty member is doing the hiring and go straight to him/her.

Wasn't it supposed to snow today? I was going to use it as an excuse to stay in and study, but it looks/sounds like everything is melting off my roof right now.

Wasn't it supposed to snow today? I was going to use it as an excuse to stay in and study, but it looks/sounds like everything is melting off my roof right now.

Yeah, we were supposed to get 3 to 5 inches. I'm glad we're not. :) I'm even going to leave my house today.

The doctor bagel thing is a cat nickname. I picked my user name on a whim in 2002, so it's time for a change.

Amx, I don't want to learn things. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
shortitalian, you are in Stillwater, no? I hope you took or are taking Mamm Phys. It's a mirror image of our M1 physiology class. I had it when Hellgren was still there, and the course was amazing. Out of 390 college hours, it's the only class I've ever paid non-resident tuition for, and I'm realizing now that it was worth every penny.

Yes, I took mam phys last Spring (great MCAT prep too), and I took the lab last semester. Unfortunately, Dr. Hellgren left the year I was taking it, so it was taught by a part-time professor with a pharmacology background. She told us that she was following Dr. Hellgren's material, so hopefully I got almost as much out of it as I would have with Dr. Hellgren.

The only thing I didn't like about our teacher is that she didn't seem very good at answering our questions. She knew her notes really well but didn't seem to have much depth of physiology knowledge. She was happy to look up things for us and explain them the next day, but I would have preferred someone with more of a physiology background. Also, she had a baby half way through the semester and was gone for a bit. While she was gone, a graduate student (who ended up teaching the lab after our professor quit) taught us the kidney function section, which he did very well.

I agree that it was a great class.

:clap: :hardy: I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my letter of acceptance this afternoon.

We had to fight the mailman to give it to us - more details later.

Right now, I'm off to celebrate by watching my Lakers stomp my Hornets!

:thumbup:

Good luck everyone else!!!!!!! :luck:

The only thing I didn't like about our teacher is that she didn't seem very good at answering our questions. She knew her notes really well but didn't seem to have much depth of physiology knowledge. She was happy to look up things for us and explain them the next day, but I would have preferred someone with more of a physiology background.

Her name wasn't Rada, was it? :smuggrin:

Also, she had a baby half way through the semester and was gone for a bit.

I guess not. :D

I looked at your Who's Who, but it doesn't seem to be updated yet. One of the people on there from last year looks like familiar sans facial hair.

UCO hasn't updated theirs either. :sleep: Wizard tidbit--the premed advisor at UCO used to be the one for Oklahoma State. The Who's Who thing is her invention.

Anybody have anything to say about the Medicine Ball? There are pics up on fb, but I haven't heard any chatter.

:thumbup: :horns:

That's awesome Jwax, CONGRATS!!! :clap: I know you've worked really hard for this... now prepare to work even harder ;)

Awesome!

Congratulations! :thumbup:

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :D

Congratulations! Go relax now!

I'm In!!!!! WOO-HOO! Just jumped my mail-lady to get it!

Congratulations!! See you in the fall!!:)

I'm In!!!!! WOO-HOO! Just jumped my mail-lady to get it!

Congratulations!!! :clap:

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that Amx and I aren't saying "see you in the fall" because we won't, not because we're not welcoming ;) We just won't see much of our spouses next year, let alone non-classmates :)

Looks like Kobe and his boys came up short. +pity+ (Sorry not a Shaqless Lakers fan)

Yeah, we were supposed to get 3 to 5 inches. I'm glad we're not. :)

When I woke up at 0900, newsok was saying that we'd start getting snow accumulation at 0700. oops. They were reporting 8-12 inches on Wednesday. I guess I don't understand why they'd predict 100% chances of anything several days away. No guts no glory I guess.

New 2011er's, there's a toga party at the beginning of the school year. Have an enjoyable summer. Best advice--get your FAFSA in after you've done your taxes, and arrange to have your promissory note signed by summertime if you are taking loans. You have to be pretty proactive with the financial aid office. Aside from that, sleep soundly.

:luck:

I heard the 2009ers got free stethoscopes from the alumni association, did you 2010ers get this too? I'm wondering if I should buy one or wait to see if I get a free one.

I heard the 2009ers got free stethoscopes from the alumni association, did you 2010ers get this too? I'm wondering if I should buy one or wait to see if I get a free one.

You should wait. In the past few years, we've been given Littmann Classic II S.E.'s. They are more than adequate.

For some reason, nursing students are in love with the Cardiology III. I think that there is a stigma that a novice needs a more expensive scope to hear stuff. The one that they give you is fine. It has a bell and a diaphragm which is good for testing when the examiner will want to see you turn it over.

I'm used to the Master Classic, but you have to push down to get the high frequency. It's thus tougher to learn, and if somebody is testing you, they often can't tell that you're pushing on it. BTW with the Classic II S.E. and the Cardiology III, I think that tunable diaphragm thing applies anyway. You just don't have to use it if you don't want to.

Just wait. I know it's a symbol of your profession and all that jazz, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've used my stethoscope since starting. On top of what Wiz already said, just use the one they give you. Just wait until residency or at least third year to see if you want a fancy, high-fidelity model. Your ability to discern sounds and whatnot is going to be much more limited by your brain than the stethoscope.

Hey guys,

I was wondering how many people one can invite to the white coat ceremony. Does anybody know the answer to this?

Thanks.

Congratulations, Nick and Jwax!! See you in the fall.

I looked at your Who's Who, but it doesn't seem to be updated yet. One of the people on there from last year looks like familiar sans facial hair.

Strangely, our pre-health office secretary told me she wouldn't update the Who's Who until we made our "final choice" of where we are going. When I got accepted to OU, I hadn't heard anything back from any other schools, so I didn't tell her OU was final. As far as I'm concerned now (especially after being rejected from several other scools), I'm definitely going to OU.

Hmm... my signature seems to not be showing up. Weird.

EDIT
Ok, nevermind.

Hey guys,

I was wondering how many people one can invite to the white coat ceremony. Does anybody know the answer to this?

Thanks.

I think it was four guests...but not 100% sure

Hey guys,

Thanks.

I was thinking four or five was what they said, but I want to say that all of the extras got to come too since people like me didn't invite anybody. Hell my parents still don't know that I'm in medical school. :cool:

If things don't change, it will be at the Cowboy/Western Museum place north of the zoo, same as the anatomical donor luncheon earlier that day. They've been using this protocol for a few years.

I just looked back at our page for the WCC--"The White Coat Ceremony welcomes entering medical students and helps establish a psychological contract for the practice of medicine." lol psychological contract

I set my thermos on mine on the way home from PCM; my psychological contract has a big-ass coffee stain on it...

Hey Wiz where do you usually work out?

I set my thermos on mine on the way home from PCM; my psychological contract has a big-ass coffee stain on it...

Hey Wiz where do you usually work out?

I exercised in the union from 2003-2004 before moving to the Center for Healthy Living. I was there about a year until late 2005. They usually allow a free activation during January BTW.

I tried to use a Gazelle at home for a little bit, but that device kind of sucks since there is no resistance.

So in early 2006 I switched to this little gym up on NW 50th and Portland (just to the south of Deaconess) called Family Fitness. It is 24 hours and worked well for my schedule. It's kinda small, but there is no contract and no activation. They only have two ellipticals (my only cardio choice), but they are free if I go in the middle of the night.

For the past week I've been going back to the union because of the weather, and to be honest, I think that I'm going to start going there from now on. I'm moving next month up north which will be far from my gym, and I really need an excuse to get my tush to campus. I'm way behind this semester.

After thinking about this for a bit, I think that I am going to ask Smitty to monitor the progress of my exercise program by palpating my guns on a biweekly basis.

Slacker question here -- is that thing tomorrow in neuro required? It sounds like a neat thing, but it'll be a real pain for me to make it.

I'm actually going to go to neuro today! Don't glare at me when I walk in late. :)

Slacker question here -- is that thing tomorrow in neuro required? It sounds like a neat thing, but it'll be a real pain for me to make it.

I'm actually going to go to neuro today! Don't glare at me when I walk in late. :)

I went too! (though I couldn't muster the courage to go to histo)

Um, uh, thing tomorrow? Perhaps this makes me the ultimate slacker, but I know not of what you speak. :confused:

I went too! (though I couldn't muster the courage to go to histo)

Um, uh, thing tomorrow? Perhaps this makes me the ultimate slacker, but I know not of what you speak. :confused:

Yeah, skipped histo, too. The neuro thing tomorrow is this ARS thing where we answer questions about cranial nerves. The questions are exam style questions, so it should let us know if we're on the ball or not. Dr. Blair posted the questions in non-multiple choice formal on the curriculum board at Hippocrates.

Anyway, attendance is not required. We do have to attend on Friday when we had our problem solving thing, but that's in the syllabus.

Yeah, skipped histo, too. The neuro thing tomorrow is this ARS thing where we answer questions about cranial nerves. The questions are exam style questions, so it should let us know if we're on the ball or not. Dr. Blair posted the questions in non-multiple choice formal on the curriculum board at Hippocrates.

Anyway, attendance is not required. We do have to attend on Friday when we had our problem solving thing, but that's in the syllabus.

Guess I should go to class...

So what have I missed over the first two weeks? :eek:

I was also completely unaware of this ARS thing. I feel I should go; I'm a little gun shy about missing anything to do with ARS now. I also missed a letter grade in biochem last semester because of attendance, and I still haven't learned my lesson. I have only been to one class this semester. One week until the mini's and I still have no motivation.

I was also completely unaware of this ARS thing. I feel I should go; I'm a little gun shy about missing anything to do with ARS now. I also missed a letter grade in biochem last semester because of attendance, and I still haven't learned my lesson. I have only been to one class this semester. One week until the mini's and I still have no motivation.

That's pretty understandable. It's probably pretty useful to go tomorrow anyway. Dr. Blair did say this wasn't mandatory, though, so if you really can't go, it's not a big deal. The mandatory things are the pbls and problem solving sessions, our first of which is Friday.

I don't know if you listed to his intro lecture or not (if not, it's just an overview), but he said that for the required events, he'll pass around a sign-in sheet at the beginning and at the end of the sessions. You have to be sure to sign in both times to get credit.

So I feel old because I'm looking at the phone book, and the cover has a picture of this punk kid I went to high school with who's now an insurance agent. Being 30 is weird. :)

Basically what I've heard is that tomorrow is a review session. Cranial nerves we do on our own, apparently, so we won't be having those lectures (?).

I would have known that on my own, but I haven't made it that far into the neuro mp3s...

That's pretty understandable. It's probably pretty useful to go tomorrow anyway. Dr. Blair did say this wasn't mandatory, though, so if you really can't go, it's not a big deal. The mandatory things are the pbls and problem solving sessions, our first of which is Friday.

I don't know if you listed to his intro lecture or not (if not, it's just an overview), but he said that for the required events, he'll pass around a sign-in sheet at the beginning and at the end of the sessions. You have to be sure to sign in both times to get credit.

So I feel old because I'm looking at the phone book, and the cover has a picture of this punk kid I went to high school with who's now an insurance agent. Being 30 is weird. :)

Which punk kid?

His name sounds like dungeon, and he has a big billboard on 51 near Sangre. :) He looks very respectable these days.
I think it's "Dudgeon" or something like that. I remember seeing that billboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.