University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
An 85 page thread???
Make that 86 pages now...that's how we roll at OU. If you take a look at the thread title this is actually part 4 of an extremely long thread.

Belated congrats to the class of 2011 I'll probably never see you guys.

Thanks...I'll actually be staying here for the next five years in ENT so if you're coming here in that time frame you never know...you might have me for a resident. :eek: That's a scary thought for all involved. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

An 85 page thread???

Hey Knitress what do you mean by "bumps and bruises"? I'm guessing with any major overhauls there are some glitches.

I also just wanted to say that it's so exciting to follow in OU's tradition. I'm really excited about the future.

Belated congrats to the class of 2011 I'll probably never see you guys.

Also does anyone have any like advice for first years? Especially for someone who hasn't picked up a textbook in over a year.

And Knitress can you send me a syllabus for something just to see what the reading load is like.

A syllabus won't tell you the reading load. It really varies by class, but for the most part the info you need if contained in the lectures. Some lectures require background reading, but overall not much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, "bumps and bruises" pretty much refers to a few things that didn't really work out as well as planned. They're tweaking the curriculum for next year's class to try to fix them. (So have fun with that, you guys!)

And the reading load isn't too bad... unless you, like me, loooooove you some Big Robbins. :laugh: Honestly, the most useful books in med school are the board review ones, and those are pretty short. It's more a question of how well you can regurgitate what's on the lecturer's powerpoints, at least for your first two years. Some professors have syllabi, some don't, so it would be hard to find a good representative to show you. It all depends.

Wow. We've been on page 85 of this thread for over a year. I guess our year never really got into SDN?

Also, I'd just like to take this moment to point out that I actually managed to finish a year of medical school! WOOOOOOOO

Yeah, that made me sad :(

Congrats!! :D For some reason, finishing first year was probably the most exciting part of medical school other than graduation.

Anyone notice that after completing any stage in our medical training, the words "I'm so glad I don't have do ____ year again" always sound appropriate? I was just thinking about the incoming seniors and how they have to do all the ERAS crap and painfully waiting for interview invites and spending thousands of dollars for interviews/step 2/etc. I'm so glad to not have to do that over again. I'm sure I'll say the same after each PG year has been completed... though I'm really excited to start.

I start on nights, which is awesome for many reasons (trauma, no clinic, trauma, no rounds, trauma, more time to actually learn the hospital, I'm a night owl, trauma)... Ready to get this show on the road!

Hey when are we supposed to get ID cards, I would love to have access to the library (I mean the gym)

Jwax: They're letting second years take trauma call this year, apparently. :D And yeah, definitely glad to be done with a year.... it actually feels like we've done something tangible, you know?

Congrats on finishing up med school and starting residency! That feels like it's so far off for my class, but this last year's actually gone by really fast (test weeks aside). Hopefully things don't start to drag on.

okdocrx: ID cards should be available after you've been enrolled, which is something that Student Affairs will handle fairly close to the start of term. (They may be available earlier, I just remember that that's when my class all ran out and got ours. You can call Student Affairs and ask.) And stay out of the library! You'll see enough of that next year! :) Seriously, though, you'll be fine. It's a lot of work, but you can do it.

I really meant the gym.

I don't even know what I would do in the library.

We never received anything about taking any first aid class. When is enrollment?
_____:banana:________
:hijacked::boom::diebanana:

Student Affairs will enroll you a little bit before the start of the year. As for first aid classes, do you mean your BLS class? An email about scheduling that should go out sometime later this summer.

Thanks...I'll actually be staying here for the next five years in ENT so if you're coming here in that time frame you never know...you might have me for a resident. :eek: That's a scary thought for all involved. :laugh:

Make sure you pimp them on surgical neck anatomy their first days on the ENT selective.

I have a question about the honor/pass/fail grading system

Is it hard to honor? And is getting that 95% threshold important?

Seems like for example with molecular and cell systems you can only miss a very small handful of questions on the midterm and final exam to still get 95%.

Especially how do residencies compare students from schools with just the pass/fail grading system and those that have the additional possibility of honors?

Also does OU rank students?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The same way they always have compared students between schools: Step scores. Step 1 is the great equalizer...

I don't know if I'd use the word "great"...

The same way they always have compared students between schools: Step scores. Step 1 is the great equalizer...

Just for the record... TOTALLY freaked out by the fact that I take this in less than a year... :scared:

My dad has started calling me 007 after hearing the "licensed to kill" bit from Grey's Anatomy... thanks Dad! Way to boost my self confidence! :rolleyes:

Are you aiming for any particular score?

Not sure yet. Obviously, I'd like to do well, but I don't think I'm too interested in anything super competitive. But since things may change once I hit the wards, I'd like to have the flexibility to shoot for derm/plastics/rad onc if I want. If it was like the MCAT where you can retake if you don't get the score you want, I'd be a lot less worried, but on the USMLE, once you've passed, you're stuck with that score. No retakes!

What worries me is that I don't remember everything we did last year. I still know most of it, but if you quizzed me on the nitty-gritty details of the brachial plexus (or something similarly complex), I'd have no idea. I guess that's what studying's for! :)

Not sure yet. Obviously, I'd like to do well, but I don't think I'm too interested in anything super competitive. But since things may change once I hit the wards, I'd like to have the flexibility to shoot for derm/plastics/rad onc if I want. If it was like the MCAT where you can retake if you don't get the score you want, I'd be a lot less worried, but on the USMLE, once you've passed, you're stuck with that score. No retakes!

What worries me is that I don't remember everything we did last year. I still know most of it, but if you quizzed me on the nitty-gritty details of the brachial plexus (or something similarly complex), I'd have no idea. I guess that's what studying's for! :)

The good thing is that those nitty gritty first year details aren't super important for Step 1. Things like path and physiology are better represented. The amount of anatomy on the exam is pretty minimal. Back in my day, we thought the big first year thing to revisit was biochem. Maybe the biochem curriculum has improved, though, with new course leadership.

Anyway, it's too early for studying! Learning your second year material is your job for now. Studying can wait until the spring. Speaking of which, we had practically no new material presented for the last third of 2nd year, which really helped with studying time. I'm hoping you still have that with the new curriculum. Students at the place I'm at now have new content presented up until the end, so they're only dedicated time to study is between the end of 2nd year and the start of 3rd year, which sucks.

Oh, no, I'm not studying now! Why would I ruin a perfectly good summer by studying? :)

There's this mysterious "Capstone" thing they have us scheduled in for most of the spring, and they haven't told us anything about what exactly it is. So hopefully it's mostly a review. That would be nice.

Oh, no, I'm not studying now! Why would I ruin a perfectly good summer by studying? :)

There's this mysterious "Capstone" thing they have us scheduled in for most of the spring, and they haven't told us anything about what exactly it is. So hopefully it's mostly a review. That would be nice.

I forgot all about this magical summer thing. Good for you for not studying! Hmm, I hope the Capstone is a review.

What kind of bikes do students use to get back and forth on campus?

The good thing is that those nitty gritty first year details aren't super important for Step 1. Things like path and physiology are better represented. The amount of anatomy on the exam is pretty minimal. Back in my day, we thought the big first year thing to revisit was biochem. Maybe the biochem curriculum has improved, though, with new course leadership.

Anyway, it's too early for studying! Learning your second year material is your job for now. Studying can wait until the spring. Speaking of which, we had practically no new material presented for the last third of 2nd year, which really helped with studying time. I'm hoping you still have that with the new curriculum. Students at the place I'm at now have new content presented up until the end, so they're only dedicated time to study is between the end of 2nd year and the start of 3rd year, which sucks.

With the curriculum change, isn't pathology now covered in first year?

Also will the loan people let me use the money on a segue way?:)

Of course with the changes in subsidized loans, maybe that's not a good idea at this point.