Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you import that into an apple device calendar? Never used google calendar
Don't know... never used an Apple calendar. I just use Google Calendar on my Apple devices. :D

They say it can be done, however... See Google Calendar events on Apple Calendar - Calendar Help

Members don't see this ad.

S/o to MSUCOM for having Tuesday July 4th off but not Monday the 3rd -_-

I guess beggars can't be choosy though.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So can you buy an anatomy probe from the medical school store? I have a box of gloves and a lab coat already, but need the probe.

Just FYI, for all of you schedule concerns: everything is on this Google Calendar. You can add it to your own calendar by clicking the "+ Google Calendar" icon in the bottom right of the screen. :)
2021 - Academic Calendar
You may also want the student events calendar:
COM Student Events

This shows we have a class on the morning of the white coat ceremony. Is this true?

Thanks! Are we all going to reveal ourselves to each other at orientation!?
this could be taken the wrong way

I guess in medical school it's less likely to be strange, though

:laugh:

Just FYI, for all of you schedule concerns: everything is on this Google Calendar. You can add it to your own calendar by clicking the "+ Google Calendar" icon in the bottom right of the screen. :)
2021 - Academic Calendar
You may also want the student events calendar:
COM Student Events

Thanks fam

Thanks! Are we all going to reveal ourselves to each other at orientation!?
I will never reveal who I really am femenem(lol)

Do we have to bring anything to orientation? Like do we have to carry around a backpack cuz we're gonna get 50 different packets or what.

At first when I saw that google calendar it showed class 8-10 + a 6 hour lab and I was like wtf this is not what I was expecting brb heart attack. Ptl for the fine print.

Also if any second years have some good coffee shops in EL you'd recommend, post them up cuz I don't even move in to my apartment until late June so I'll be chillin at breweries/coffee shops til then.

I'm sitting outside right now in the sun pondering how much my life is gonna change in 2 months lol.

Last edited:
So can you buy an anatomy probe from the medical school store? I have a box of gloves and a lab coat already, but need the probe.
Most likely. I bought the entire "orientation order" and I'm assuming they have that kind of stuff at the store. Highly doubt they just ship it all in order specific, especially an anatomy probe. As far as I'm concerned I have ten of them attached to my hands.

Do we have to bring anything to orientation? Like do we have to carry around a backpack cuz we're gonna get 50 different packets or what.

At first when I saw that google calendar it showed class 8-10 + a 6 hour lab and I was like wtf this is not what I was expecting brb heart attack. Ptl for the fine print.

Also if any second years have some good coffee shops in EL you'd recommend, post them up cuz I don't even move in to my apartment until late June so I'll be chillin at breweries/coffee shops til then.

I'm sitting outside right now in the sun pondering how much my life is gonna change in 2 months lol.
If you're not opposed to way too hipster places, there's a great place in Lansing right on the border to EL called Strange Matter coffee.

I'm also wondering if we have to bring anything to orientation. Laptop, backpack, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year we didn't bring anything. When you check-in tomorrow you'll get a bag with an atlas and paperwork

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Last year we didn't bring anything. When you check-in tomorrow you'll get a bag with an atlas and paperwork

Sent from my A1-840FHD using SDN mobile
Perfect, thanks! Sounds like it's just me myself and I then.

Also, what is an A1-840FD lololol

If you're not opposed to way too hipster places, there's a great place in Lansing right on the border to EL called Strange Matter coffee.

If it's good coffee I can't complain. Will have to check it out next week. Do we have lab every day besides Friday?

Perfect, thanks! Sounds like it's just me myself and I then.

Also, what is an A1-840FD lololol

If it's good coffee I can't complain. Will have to check it out next week. Do we have lab every day besides Friday?
Apparently that is the name of the tablet I typed that message on?

Brace yourselves for about 7 talks on professionalism and that you shouldn't embarrass the college tomorrow

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

Just to make sure - last day of summer class is August 16th and we're off until the 28th, yeah? Nothing is going to ruin this vacation?

See you all tomorrow at orientation! Congrats for those accepted and good luck to those in the next application cycle! :)

also brace yourself for the Im not your father speech
Apparently this iteration may be a very different speech! We'll have to see.

Haha you may not reveal it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if someone figured it out from your site. I had somewhere around five people independently figure out who I am... though I admit my prior user name was a bit less incognito!

Apparently this iteration may be a very different speech! We'll have to see.

Haha you may not reveal it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if someone figured it out from your site. I had somewhere around five people independently figure out who I am... though I admit my prior user name was a bit less incognito!
Lololol I wouldn't care. SDN is over once I start anyway.

See all of you beautiful people tomorrow:mooning:

It was nice meeting a lot of you today (even if you didn't know who I was)....hope you enjoy your last weekend before anatomy!

Reactions: 4 users
too late fam today you signed your name on the dotted line
Not true my loans haven't dispersed yet........

My big is the fricken man I would highly recommend signing up.

Not true my loans haven't dispersed yet........

My big is the fricken man I would highly recommend signing up.

+1 i think i got paired with a stellar big, apparently our class had a shockingly low amount of people sign up for a big. I found that surprising since it sounds like a sweet opportunity to get your questions answered, make friends, and get advice. Or not and only talk to them once a year if you want lol.

So if anyone out there is still on the fence about getting a big, do it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also @femmegoblue went to Strange Matter after orientation today... hard to park around there but the coffee was good :)

Worst part of orientation was hearing recorded lectures won't be available for up to 48 hours after they happen because providing lectures without closed captioning is against some rule/law/something. Pretty disappointing.

I guess this thread is going to die now, isn't it?

Worst part of orientation was hearing recorded lectures won't be available for up to 48 hours after they happen because providing lectures without closed captioning is against some rule/law/something. Pretty disappointing.
Huh, that's new. Are they still going to live-stream them?
I guess this thread is going to die now, isn't it?

And yeah, pretty much... though you're welcome to head over to the new thread once it's created and help advise future applicants! :thumbup::D

And yeah, pretty much... though you're welcome to head over to the new thread once it's created and help advise future applicants! :thumbup::D
Yep, still going to live stream as far as I know. From what I could tell it's a new policy that it doesn't sound like COM had any control over. If any other students can comment on that it would be helpful.

I plan on it! Time to give back to SDN

Yep, still going to live stream as far as I know. From what I could tell it's a new policy that it doesn't sound like COM had any control over. If any other students can comment on that it would be helpful.

I plan on it! Time to give back to SDN
One of your classmates i believe is deaf, so to accommodate his need they are doing closed captions

One of your classmates i believe is deaf, so to accommodate his need they are doing closed captions
That makes a lot more sense...not sure if I just missed the explanation or what happened there but it seemed like faculty didn't want to talk about it when asked today

Hoping I'll still be comfy not coming to lectures later

That makes a lot more sense...not sure if I just missed the explanation or what happened there but it seemed like faculty didn't want to talk about it when asked today

Hoping I'll still be comfy not coming to lectures later
Honestly You can not watch lecture or just read the course pack 90% of the time lectures arent that useful. Teachers will read off the slide. There is one particular teach who i do not recommend doing that for and that would be renal. But you are not there yet . But yes from what ive been told by my friend at EL that helped with interviews that was the reason why they did that this year

Honestly You can not watch lecture or just read the course pack 90% of the time lectures arent that useful. Teachers will read off the slide. There is one particular teach who i do not recommend doing that for and that would be renal. But you are not there yet . But yes from what ive been told by my friend at EL that helped with interviews that was the reason why they did that this year

A couple of people I spoke to today wondered why not make specific arrangements, especially with testing, for that individual(s), instead of affecting the rest of the class. I get it, though it just means I have to wake up early morning every day. It's probably better that way, since the exams are in the morning as well.

So for anatomy, you would just recommend reading from the coursepack? Anywhere to do practice questions?

A couple of people I spoke to today wondered why not make specific arrangements, especially with testing, for that individual(s), instead of affecting the rest of the class. I get it, though it just means I have to wake up early morning every day. It's probably better that way, since the exams are in the morning as well.

So for anatomy, you would just recommend reading from the coursepack? Anywhere to do practice questions?
Msucom is trying to make it equal for everyone. Ask your big, they will tell you what they did. For myself i found the course packs as equally useless when it came to the systems. For anatomy its very heavily teacher specific. Teacher like to test on Different things . Look at the Objectives. Dont go over board with it, also use Guiles guides

Msucom is trying to make it equal for everyone. Ask your big, they will tell you what they did. For myself i found the course packs as equally useless when it came to the systems. For anatomy its very heavily teacher specific. Teacher like to test on Different things . Look at the Objectives. Dont go over board with it, also use Guiles guides
Heard the opposite of this from my big. Just an extra 0.02

Heard the opposite of this from my big. Just an extra 0.02
like i said earlier , ask your big. If their method works for you great. I found the course packs to be the equivalent of expensive fire wood once systems hit. For every subject, there are much better resources that are board focused. In addition the Guiles guides are a god send, i got through systems because of those guides while studying for my boards and learning stuff we need to know for boards

like i said earlier , ask your big. If their method works for you great. I found the course packs to be the equivalent of expensive fire wood once systems hit. For every subject, there are much better resources that are board focused. In addition the Guiles guides are a god send, i got through systems because of those guides while studying for my boards and learning stuff we need to know for boards
I know bro I was just saying "to each his own" more or less. My big swears by the course pack, you are swearing by the Guiles guides. Definitely worth checking out both, see what I'm saying? I wasn't coming at you just adding that the course packs alone was enough for my big. Different strokes.

Anyway, what are guilds guides? Those are not MSUCOm provided I'm sure.

I know bro I was just saying "to each his own" more or less. My big swears by the course pack, you are swearing by the Guiles guides. Definitely worth checking out both, see what I'm saying? I wasn't coming at you just adding that the course packs alone was enough for my big. Different strokes.

Anyway, what are guilds guides? Those are not MSUCOm provided I'm sure.
Ask your big, he should have access to them, they are basically a study guide created by a student who just graduated this year. Usually high yield info that teachers like to test on. Have fun in lab today =p

Update: 4 people guessed who I am on SDN so far. So much for anonymity lol.

Could someone shoot me the Class of 2021 FB page link?

Hahahahahaha true!

Don't think I've figured out who anyone is and probably never will :smack: