MCW 2011 part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a little more on the business casual side. Dress should be fine. If you're not sure, when you get your white coat at orientation, try it on together to see how it looks. Honestly, the only people that are going to be looking at you are your parents.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So speaking of bars, where's the closest one and what kind is it? Is it clubby? sports-y? old man-y?

(I'm used to the huge network of U of I campus bars which are all kinda skanky :D)

At least we don't have a Transition Ceremony to commemorate our passage into third year. Someone in the Lounge who goes to Rosalind Franklin mentioned that little gem the other day. Could have been you, akpete! I would probably shoot myself if we had any more of those mutual masturbation sessions about how important being a doctor is.

At least we don't have a Transition Ceremony to commemorate our passage into third year. Someone in the Lounge who goes to Rosalind Franklin mentioned that little gem the other day. Could have been you, akpete! I would probably shoot myself if we had any more of those mutual masturbation sessions about how important being a doctor is.

Aaaahhhhh!!!!!

One more reason I'm glad to be in Milwaukee.

So speaking of bars, where's the closest one and what kind is it? Is it clubby? sports-y? old man-y?

(I'm used to the huge network of U of I campus bars which are all kinda skanky :D)

The Chancery is the closest to school, and it's where most people meet up at after exams to unwind from all the studying. Fairly diverse mix of old/college-aged people with a pretty chill atmosphere. It gets pretty crowded/crazy on Wednesday karaoke nights. They have a kick-ass Bloody Mary - it has a beef stick among its garnishes!

You can pretty much find whatever type of bar you're looking for here. We've got clubby, sportsy, townie, Irish, etc. Not Vegas clubby, but still clubby IMO.

In Tosa, I'd say they're more of the townie bars. For everything else, head to either downtown or the East side.

and tradition

and tradition

A relatively new tradition.

The white coat ceremony (WCC) is a relatively new ritual that marks one's transition in medical school from the basic science years to the clinical years. It originated in Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1993[1] and involves a formal "robing" or "cloaking" of medical students (and now other types of students) in (laboratory) white coats, the garb physicians have traditionally worn for over 100 years[2] and other health professions have adopted

I knew my dad didn't have one, but I didn't realize it was only from the 90s. Thank you wikipedia.

doh!!!

I thought it went way farther back than that. Well, screw it then.

so i know this is still a while off... but what exactly should we wear ?? do girls have to wear suits, or can we wear like a dress or something? should our guests wear suits? thanks!!

I wore a skirt and a blouse because you REALLY don't want to try to put a white coat on over a suit jacket. Guests can wear whatever they wore to your graduation or something. My family couldn't come so my backup family (a couple of people in my dance group came, and I think the guys wore button down shirts and slacks and did not look out of place at all. It's in a gym.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Wheelchair Games are the greatest thing in the history of the world. I am sorry, future classes, that you will not be able to enjoy this fabulous event, as it is unlikely to be in Milwaukee again during your time here.

The Wheelchair Games are the greatest thing in the history of the world. I am sorry, future classes, that you will not be able to enjoy this fabulous event, as it is unlikely to be in Milwaukee again during your time here.

Xandie...did you see the spooky lady walking around Sendiks yesterday? She looked like she had Grave's Disease, but I only had a quick glance. Karen doesn't like it when I stare at people.

She apparently doesn't like it when you talk to people either... or maybe it was just me.

No, I saw no thin ladies with goiters and exopthalmos. Then again, I was somewhat focused on my raspberry shopping.

She apparently doesn't like it when you talk to people either... or maybe it was just me.

No, I saw no thin ladies with goiters and exopthalmos. Then again, I was somewhat focused on my raspberry shopping.

no...no...it wasn't you. we were in a hurry. we had to stock up on taco dip supplies quickly because of the impending storm and my need to study.

no...no...it wasn't you. we were in a hurry. we had to stock up on taco dip supplies quickly because of the impending storm and my need to study.

I shopped at Pick 'n Save yesterday during the rain. I don't fit in at Sendik's.

BTW, eating is expensive if you want healthy AND variety.

I highly recommend the social activities!! Not only the ones during orientation, but also the pre-orientation ones. Like many people, I moved here August 1 and live by myself, so I was really itching to get out. Met some people during pre-orientation that are still my closest friends here.

How do you find out about the preorientation stuff?

How do you find out about the preorientation stuff?

info should be in your very last mailing in July. i think. i could be wrong.

This just in!!! Apartment #262 at the Normandy Village has been vacated!! This particular unit comes with many advantages....
1. Near the apartment complexe's private pool for a quick dip.
2. A view of the pool to watch sunbathers if you're a pervert.
3. Live directly below me, where I will find new and creative ways to make annoying noises every day!
4. I will help you move your junk in if I'm around! *see below

Disadvantages of this particular unit:
1. 1st floor = security risk with the screen door thingy, but I haven't heard of any break-ins and it's a safe area
2. May reek of cigarette smoke as the guy was a huge chainsmoker.
3. Possibly haunted because I would often hear him making wailing and screaming sounds at night, and I'm pretty sure they were out of fear or anger. (not related to advantage #3 above)
4. Not really sure how he died, but I don't think it was all THAT messy.

Just kidding about #4. He moved out.

*This only applies if you're not a jerk. And you can't stare at me when I sunbathe.

ahhh!!! i would so love a pool!!!!!1 how much does it cost?? i'd totally move in to that apt, especially if you help me carry all my junk, but you can't stare at me when i tan!!! lol

i wouldn't wanna live there if it smells like smoke tho. i hope they can get the smell out!!

ahhh!!! i would so love a pool!!!!!1 how much does it cost?? i'd totally move in to that apt, especially if you help me carry all my junk, but you can't stare at me when i tan!!! lol

i wouldn't wanna live there if it smells like smoke tho. i hope they can get the smell out!!

i wouldn't even DREAM of staring. Now if Pratik ever comes to visit, i can't vouch for him.

as for the smoke smell, i demanded brand new carpeting when I moved in because the stuff in my apartment was pretty old/stained looking. They did a decent job repainting and stuff......but they didn't clean behind the stove or fridge or anything...you wouldn't believe the junk i found back there....so if you do look at Normandy Village, make sure you ask them to clean EVERYTHING when you sign a lease. and look over everything as soon as you move in.

So, I looked at the drafted M1 schedule for this fall. I'm scared. How do you guys decided which classes to attend?

So, I looked at the drafted M1 schedule for this fall. I'm scared. How do you guys decided which classes to attend?

It's really not so bad. After about a week or two you start to figure out which classes drive you nuts and which don't. Having tried both options of going to every class and going to no classes, I've learned I was better off going. If you can't handle that much lecture in a row, consider skipping one class and listening to it later, or something to that effect. The lecture hall will be packed the first week and attendance will slowly dwindle after that.

Just stay on top of things...try to study everything that's new every day, or you'll get behind. I made that mistake first block of M1 year, and I paid dearly on the first written anatomy exam, which in all honesty was probably one of the easiest tests I've had my 2 years here. Don't fall behind! But it's not as bad as it seems. Discipline!

edit: that was a lot of poorly organized, random advice. sorry.

1st term go to every class
2nd term go to 1 class per week if required.

It is warm enough to swim for 8 weeks per year. You'd be better off with an ice rink.

I went to every class (except MIM -- I just didn't go) unless I couldn't go, or if I really didn't like the lecturer (did that once then I decided it was a bad idea because I didn't like listening to lectures online).

The schedule really isn't as packed as it seems. A lot of that time is anatomy lab, which you spend as much time as you want, and can go in at other times if you prefer.

I stopped going to class after block 1 of M1 year and never looked back. I just can't concentrate in class, and either fell asleep, stared off into space, or was a distraction to those around me. For whatever reason I can concentrate like a rock star at Starbucks, so that's where I've done 1/2 my studying (other 1/2 at home). I only listened to certain classes.

You'll figure it out over the first couple months what you prefer.

one does not "play" curling. One *experiences* curling.

:laugh: I also experienced that game where you throw a bean bag into a hole in a slanted board.

:laugh: I also experienced that game where you throw a bean bag into a hole in a slanted board.

dude, i coulda gone pro if i hadn't gotten "beanbaggers' elbow."

A girl named Kimberly from Fondu Lack, WI emailed every male M1 on facebook asking them to call her. haha.

A girl named Kimberly from Fond du Lac, WI emailed every male M1 on facebook asking them to call her. haha.

She sounds like a handful.

She sounds like a handful.

Indeed, you should read her "about me". yikes. I'm betting that someone got her facebook password and judging from the spelling it is either an 8th grader or a foreign person:

Hey! How are u doing Im doing good? I attend Marian College and I am a Junior majoring in Early Childood Education ! ! I was wondering if u would u like to hangout sometime and get to kno each other Let me know I am free on weekends! Have a great day! Kim also if u are wondering about me adding you as a friend request it is random I have never met you my cell is 9209483167

A girl named Kimberly from Fondu Lack, WI emailed every male M1 on facebook asking them to call her. haha.

she friended me on facebook as well....tons of MCW guys. her status at one time said she wanted a boyfriend/husband, so i figured she was fishing for successful smart males...not sure how she ended up with the M1 guys. but whatever.

I messaged her and said "wow, you have a lot of MCW friends? are you interested in med school?" then she un-friended me. I guess she saw through my seeing through her little game. don't be fooled!!! Those Fond du Lac girls can be tricky.

she friended me on facebook as well....tons of MCW guys. her status at one time said she wanted a boyfriend/husband, so i figured she was fishing for successful smart males...not sure how she ended up with the M1 guys. but whatever.

I messaged her and said "wow, you have a lot of MCW friends? are you interested in med school?" then she un-friended me. I guess she saw through my seeing through her little game. don't be fooled!!! Those Fond du Lac girls can be tricky.

She left 8 voicemails on a friend's cell phone. haha. DO NOT ENGAGE, MAVERICK!

oh, that's who she is? I refused her at first because I had no idea who she was, but then she tried it again (immediately), so I figured I'd accept her and then saw she was friends with a few of you guys (indo and others). :laugh: wow.

I can't seem to find her on my friend list now though....hmmmmmm.

I can't seem to find her on my friend list now though....hmmmmmm.

i think she's friending to determine relationship status, then filtering out the "unavailable" guys. but since when did "engaged" have to mean "not willing to party with a random kid from Fond du Lac?"

So for those of you who decided to get private health insurance instead of the one the school offers, any suggestions? I'm trying to see if there's anything cheaper out there...

So for those of you who decided to get private health insurance instead of the one the school offers, any suggestions? I'm trying to see if there's anything cheaper out there...

You can't decline the school insurance unless you're covered under a spouse's or parent's plan. That's what their contract with the insurer requires and is the reason they're able to get decent insurance at a decent price. Not an insanely great price, to be sure, but a decent price for what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.