Mcw Class Of 2011 Awesome Part 3!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I'm one of the few people who couldn't stand the book.

Dr. Torre and my other attending were basically telling me I should do medicine. hmmm...

Those guys tell everyone to do medicine. If you're not sure if you're a med person or a surg person by now you might be in trouble.

Members don't see this ad.

I disagree. I didn't use any immuno book during micro, and the first exam was my best. And I didn't exactly hear everyone raving about that book like they do for Netter and Goljan. I did use High Yield Immuno for board study.

There are very few books that are a must for almost everyone.
"almost everyone"

I don't know anyone in my class who didn't think it was very helpful. Dwinnell pulled very heavily from it.

rapid review micro has a good immuno section.

Members don't see this ad :)
disseminated gonnorhea... C5 deficiency!

lizards??? ick!!!!1 lol!! is second year really harder??? :scared: i love my summer vacation too much!!!! tanning on the beach is the BEST vacation ever!!! (yea yea i know it's not good for me!!!!

lizards??? ick!!!!1 lol!! is second year really harder??? :scared: i love my summer vacation too much!!!! tanning on the beach is the BEST vacation ever!!! (yea yea i know it's not good for me!!!!

Definitely not. I get to see skin cancer every day from people tanning in their younger years. One person had 10 basal cell carcinomas removed on one day, after many others were removed before. I think he was in his low 40s.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my friends told me once that a scar was just a tattoo with a better story.

But then, he was talking about road rash. The story here ("These are the scars from my basal cell carcinoma, but MAN, did I have a great tan twenty years ago!") probably isn't much better than, "I got this great picture of a rose on my breast. Yeah, well, it used to be a rose, when my breasts were higher."

One of my friends told me once that a scar was just a tattoo with a better story.

But then, he was talking about road rash. The story here ("These are the scars from my basal cell carcinoma, but MAN, did I have a great tan twenty years ago!") probably isn't much better than, "I got this great picture of a rose on my breast. Yeah, well, it used to be a rose, when my breasts were higher."

I would tend to agree. No tattoo will ever beat the scar on my wrist....got it from a booby trap gone wrong during a watergun fight with my brother. It was really quite Wile E. Coyote on my part.

Man, I hate tattoos on a woman's chest.

I love my tattoo. Then again, I clearly don't tan. SPF 70 to the rescue.

Also, hi! Night float is fun. :)

milwaukee = home of the cankle tatoo

Any M3/4's have suggestions/opinions for M2 textbooks?

Any M3/4's have suggestions/opinions for M2 textbooks?

This is being covered in one of the other MCW threads, but I'll put my $.02 in because I'm bored waiting for a cath to start.

Path: Robbins Path (yeah, the big one) is probably worth buying for clarification purposes and the histopath pictures, which tend to find their way onto exams. Goljan's Rapid Review Path is fantastic (and cheap!) and I've heard rumors that the path course is reorganizing somewhat to fit this book more. The Robbins Review question book is also a great resource that I felt helped me a lot on exams and Step 1.

Micro/Immuno: I really like Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, although it probably isn't essential since the course notes are pretty comprehensive. Ashers really hated MMRS and recommends longer, more involved texts. Please keep in mind that she is a bigger textbook reader than your average student. She and I are like the Jedi and Sith on this one, but we're able to remain homies. For immuno I really liked the Basic Immuno book they recommend. I had no prior exposure to immuno and I felt like this helped me catch up with those that took it in undergrad. The course notes and figures for that block also come mostly from that book.

Psych/Ethics/Health Policy/CER: Don't bother buying any books. Yes, even Bates will not be useful. If you must insist on a Bates to complete your med reference library, at least get a used copy or older edition. I opened mine twice all year.

Pharm: No book necessary, the notes are very comprehensive (please read: long). I picked up Trevor & Katzung's Pharm Review, which was probably somewhat helpful, but likely not worth the cash overall. Be sure to read along in First Aid in this class, because they tend to not teach to the boards on this one and you really should learn some of the heavily Step 1 tested side effects for each drug as they are covered in class. Will make pharm on Step 1 a breeze.

There you go. Be sure to peruse First Aid throughout the year to get a handle on what topics are truly high yield for the boards and which are probably just some MCW prof's pet subject.

This is being covered in one of the other MCW threads, but I'll put my $.02 in because I'm bored waiting for a cath to start.

Path: Robbins Path (yeah, the big one) is probably worth buying for clarification purposes and the histopath pictures, which tend to find their way onto exams. Goljan's Rapid Review Path is fantastic (and cheap!) and I've heard rumors that the path course is reorganizing somewhat to fit this book more. The Robbins Review question book is also a great resource that I felt helped me a lot on exams and Step 1.

Micro/Immuno: I really like Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, although it probably isn't essential since the course notes are pretty comprehensive. Ashers really hated MMRS and recommends longer, more involved texts. Please keep in mind that she is a bigger textbook reader than your average student. She and I are like the Jedi and Sith on this one, but we're able to remain homies. For immuno I really liked the Basic Immuno book they recommend. I had no prior exposure to immuno and I felt like this helped me catch up with those that took it in undergrad. The course notes and figures for that block also come mostly from that book.

Psych/Ethics/Health Policy/CER: Don't bother buying any books. Yes, even Bates will not be useful. If you must insist on a Bates to complete your med reference library, at least get a used copy or older edition. I opened mine twice all year.

Pharm: No book necessary, the notes are very comprehensive (please read: long). I picked up Trevor & Katzung's Pharm Review, which was probably somewhat helpful, but likely not worth the cash overall. Be sure to read along in First Aid in this class, because they tend to not teach to the boards on this one and you really should learn some of the heavily Step 1 tested side effects for each drug as they are covered in class. Will make pharm on Step 1 a breeze.

There you go. Be sure to peruse First Aid throughout the year to get a handle on what topics are truly high yield for the boards and which are probably just some MCW prof's pet subject.

HAHAHA. word.

I however, don't like reading medical books or studying on my pseudo-vacation. My dad keeps harping me to read the ortho text and have it read by the time I start ortho even though I'm not on ortho now. I'm 50 pages into a 700 page book, and I fall asleep every time I try to read.

I'm much more excited for Psych season 3 starting up again this Friday!

The patient I just saw in the ER is such a step 1 question: 22 year old girl complaining of vomiting and diarrhea after eating rice that was left out all night. M2s? ....

Food poisoning from rice?? Be serious!

haha. that diarrhea doesn't seem self limiting when it is exploding out of you.

HAHAHA. word.

I however, don't like reading medical books or studying on my pseudo-vacation. My dad keeps harping me to read the ortho text and have it read by the time I start ortho even though I'm not on ortho now. I'm 50 pages into a 700 page book, and I fall asleep every time I try to read.

I'm much more excited for Psych season 3 starting up again this Friday!

If you don't find bone adhesives eye-opening then you should rethink this whole ortho thing!

OH MY GOD!!! i feel soooooo stupid i tried to read a chapter in teh pathology book to get ahead and i have no clue what its talking about!!!!!!!!! :mad:

...and also because that path book is stupid.

teh pathology book is friggign difficutl to read b'cos I (you) have dyslexia.

hey weener! i actually DO HAVE DYSLEXIA so sometimes I screw things up but i've tried really hard to get where I am and I'm gonna be a doctor so go eat yourself!!!!!! :D

hey weener! i actually DO HAVE DYSLEXIA so sometimes I screw things up but i've tried really hard to get where I am and I'm gonna be a doctor so go eat yourself!!!!!! :D

I am sorry to have offended you.Those words were meant to be jocular, not offensive. You wanna go out with me this weekend... for a movie or something?

I am sorry to have offended you.Those words were meant to be jocular, not offensive. You wanna go out with me this weekend... for a movie or something?

ha! no! you can go and joculate on your own. :hardy:

Pre-mature joculation.

Sorry, that was too mature of me, let me try again:

...That's what SHE said! Heh heh.

No, that won't do. How about:

...YO MAMA is an expert.

Dang, this is hard.

Last edited:
dang, dog, that was a hot hot burn you got there. you come up with that on your own?

Word on the street is that he does some of his best work alone. All alone.

VA or near MCW at the Milwaukee County psych place; some people went to Roger's, Community Memorial and other smaller places.

It's bad to have to go to the VA; parking's terrible.

For the amount of time you'll be at the VA, you can park at National Avenue, towards the western end of the property where it's 2-hour parking. If you're at the Dom, that works great. If you're at the hospital, not so good.

VA or near MCW at the Milwaukee County psych place; some people went to Roger's, Community Memorial and other smaller places.

It's bad to have to go to the VA; parking's terrible.
The trick is to find someone walking out to their car and follow them. 50% of the time it works every time.

So I flipped through the M2 schedule. Is psych all year long or do 1/2 of us go first semester and the second half second semester? Please say yes. I was not happy that my PBL group leader wrote on my eval that I should think about psychiatry. No!

You have psych until like feb or march or something. the first semester is just plain old crazy people psych. then 2nd semester is crazy sexual history taking psych. fun stuff.

unless they changed it.