MCW 2011 part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So about the financial aid stuff, yeah I don't understand why we have to have an appointment either. I was accepted at another school before getting in at MCW, and they didn't require an extra appointment. I think when I asked about that when I first got here :eek: 2 years ago they said something about the government requiring it, which doesn't make sense considering other schools don't do it. Whatever, just another hoop to jump through.

The $42000 number is the annual limit on federal loans, so if you need more, just get one of the private loans. My lender is THE, and when I thought I was gonna need a private loan, I was going to have it through them as well to keep things simple. I don't know much about the grad plus loans, so I can't help you out with that. I'm instate plus got some institutional aid, so I didn't end up needing private loans. I'm guessing that it's something that's taken care of at the appointment at the beginning of the year.

Oh, and you can get money the first day. I remember I was really worried that the $12000 would be credited towards tuition and that I wouldn't get any money to pay bills until much later. But you can ask for some money right away, then get the rest a couple weeks later.

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone check on the posting boards in the school for me and see what kind of rentals are posted right now? I am planning on coming and looking for places to live on friday and want to contact a few people before I arrive friday.

If you get a chance to PM me, that would be great and I'd really appreciate it

What do most students do during the summer after first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also wondering if anyone could check on the posting boards for rentals in the area because I am coming and looking for places to live on Saturday and was hoping to contact a few places (2 bedroom) before I get down there. So if anyone could send me a few numbers to call on that would be great. Thanks a lot.

If you are looking to live in a larger complex you can look at Wilshire Manor, The Reserve, or Normandy Village. They all have 1 or 2 bedrooms, and the Reserve has some 3 bedrooms. Wilshire is closest to campus, but it maybe be full already. You can find numbers for any of these places online. As far and finding number for other places I would look at the roomate list MCW sends out. All of the outgoing M2s are studying for boards right now, so we probably won't be much help for looking around for you guys, sorry.

I am looking for a roomate if anyone is interested or knows someone who is looking. I have a 2 bedroom, 2 bath in Wilshire Manor that is walking distance to the school. Rent is $487.50 a month plus about $75 is utilites (including internet and cable) for your half. It also includes a parking spot. It is available July 1st. By the way, I have a very fluffy white cat so if you have allergies that probably wouldn't be a good idea.

You can PM me if you are interested. Good luck with you search.

Do research, or, if they hate research, they go to Europe.

I did research during the summer. I went to London during spring break M1 year. Spring break M2 year I studied and recovered from surgery. Otherwise, I would've tried to go to London or Maui.

I'M GOING HOME ON SATURDAY!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

That means boards are on Thursday. Sadness. :'(

Hang in there for the final stretch M3's. You're almost there.

I'm not taking sides on the whole ninjas vs. pirates issue, but this made me laugh.

PirateEncyclopedia_Fullpic_1.gif

What do most students do during the summer after first year?

Do research, or, if they hate research, they go to Europe.

Yup.

A lot of people do research, but if that's not your thing, then don't do it. On the other hand, if you are interested, it's a good summer job here at MCW because you get a stipend, experience, and maybe a publication or two.

Other things people do include summer externships with community physicians, go back and work a regular summer job, or as in the case of our curly haired Prowler, they travel to exciting and semi-exotic destinations.

Bottom line (and this applies to many aspects of medical school), don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Do what works best for you.

As usual, I second what Don says.

Are there any 2011ers who are looking for roommates? I'm a non-smoking female, no pets, neat, respectful, responsible, easygoing, and fun! :) If you're interested, PM me!

(I feel like I'm taking out a personal ad...) :laugh:

You can contact me at *******@mcw.edu if you are interested. Good luck with you search.

Ha! I was thinking that was you!! Happy cows live at my grandma's here in Wisconsin. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, Amie, might want to take your email address out of there, and April should take it out of the quotebox on her post as well. internet spammers scan the web for email addresses.

Are there any 2011ers who are looking for roommates? I'm a non-smoking female, no pets, neat, respectful, responsible, easygoing, and fun! :) If you're interested, PM me!

(I feel like I'm taking out a personal ad...) :laugh:

i still can't decide if i want to live alone or not!!! i dont' need to have a roomate, but i just don't know!!!!! i bet it would be fun but i do liek to do whatever i want sometimes like walk around in my underwear!!!! j/k!! lol

what do you experenced people think? do you like living alone or having a roomate in med school? does anybody live with someone that isnt a med student?

i still can't decide if i want to live alone or not!!! i dont' need to have a roomate, but i just don't know!!!!! i bet it would be fun but i do liek to do whatever i want sometimes like walk around in my underwear!!!! j/k!! lol

what do you experenced people think? do you like living alone or having a roomate in med school? does anybody live with someone that isnt a med student?

i'm pretty sure we've addressed this at least 2 or 6 times or so, but here i go again because I can't seem to convince myself to go to bed. i prefer to live alone because i'm a quiet and private person when I'm by myself (believe it or not, guys!). I like to have my sanctuary to go back to and be introverted and introspective and all that crap. It definitely does add to expenses, but I'm lucky enough to have some help from my parents for now because it would be pretty hard otherwise. plus, I had a run of really bizarre roommate in undergrad, everything from smelling really bad to not washing his hands after going to the bathroom and then changing our brita water filter.

can't say personally, but i think people roomming with non med students is rare, simply because it's a heck of a lot more convenient to find someone through the school's list.

other pros and cons of having a roommate from my perspective:
Pros: shared expense, carpool, cook meals if you're into that sorta thing, have a study buddy, and you have someone to hold when your mint plant gets stolen from the front porch.

cons: less privacy obviously, sharing of bathrooms, typical stuff...but I also see having another med student around as a barrier to my need to escape from school. if i had another med student around at home I'd never forget where I was and I'd go crazy.

some people live with students that are M2s or higher and find that really helpful for free stuff and advice. definitely an option to look into. they're more stable and are usually willing to help out.

I like the fact that I live with a non-med student (my wife), but if I were single, I would almost certainly live with a roommate. I have the convenience of being from here, so I might have stayed with my old roommate or something like that, but living with a med student is probably a fairly safe bet. S/he might be a slob though, or a night owl/early riser/some strange mix, so that would suck, but your expenses are going to be cut in half. That's hard to beat.

Hey, class of '09, I guess only like 60 people in our class are doing research this summer, compared to 100 last year. Some higher-ups have been disappointed by that. :p

Hey, class of '09, I guess only like 60 people in our class are doing research this summer, compared to 100 last year. Some higher-ups have been disappointed by that. :p

Oh geez. What do they want? To have the entire class do research. If they had a hard time finding funding for everyone my year (and they didn't find funding for everyone), no way they'd get it for 200 people.

i am proud of your class.

I went to London during spring break M1 year.
So I've noticed the following: no fire hydrants, very few drinking fountains (bubblers, if you will), exits are called "way out", there are telephone booths everywhere, restrooms are called toilets, Ruislip is pronounced rice-lip, and they park cars every which way they want. I know they drive on the opposite side of the road, but the cars parallel-parked on the side are often facing each other. And they can show women's nipples on magazine covers in a newstand in the middle of a public square. But most importantly, there's no Mountain Dew to be found anywhere. :( The first thing we saw when we got off the "tube" at Waterloo was a McDonald's and a Starbucks.

I've gotta admit, I actually liked the musical Wicked. The wife really wanted to go, so we bought the cheapest seats we could (we were one row from the farthest one back), and about halfway through, I actually started thinking that it was good.

Anybody seen the Moulin Rouge? We're thinking of going, but the tickets are like 80 euros apiece.

So I've noticed the following: no fire hydrants, very few drinking fountains (bubblers, if you will), exits are called "way out", there are telephone booths everywhere, restrooms are called toilets, Ruislip is pronounced rice-lip, and they park cars every which way they want. I know they drive on the opposite side of the road, but the cars parallel-parked on the side are often facing each other. And they can show women's nipples on magazine covers in a newstand in the middle of a public square. But most importantly, there's no Mountain Dew to be found anywhere. :( The first thing we saw when we got off the "tube" at Waterloo was a McDonald's and a Starbucks.

I've gotta admit, I actually liked the musical Wicked. The wife really wanted to go, so we bought the cheapest seats we could (we were one row from the farthest one back), and about halfway through, I actually started thinking that it was good.

Anybody seen the Moulin Rouge? We're thinking of going, but the tickets are like 80 euros apiece.

When I go to London, I have to take food with me. Namely, Mountain Dew (regular and Code Red) and Lucky Charms, if it's around Easter, I have to take Cadbury Mini Eggs because those are the only American chocolates that are better than any English equivalents. They make up for no Mt Dew by having wonderful Fanta and Lilt. mmmm... no caffeine in them, but they're good. Their McFlurries are also better than ours since they use Cadbury's chocolate.

Ruislip is more of a Rize-lip. In general, a lot of words aren't pronounced like they look like they should be. I think my friends were amazed I could pronounce Leicester.

They can show/say anything they want on tv after 9pm.

There's also a lack of trash cans (they're there, but very sparse). That's because of the IRA though. When you go further north, they have trash cans ever 10 feet.

Ok, I'd better get back to reading. I'd love to just talk about London. =(

Oh, never seen any of those musicals, but if Stomp is there, it's quality. It was on the Strand last March.

I couldn't even get a spot lined up last year. :mad: Ended up borrowing money from my grandma since I couldn't get a job either. GGGGGRRRRRR!!!!!

Yea why did we have to get stuck in the gunner class? We even had people who spent last summer studying for boards, yikes!

Yea why did we have to get stuck in the gunner class? We even had people who spent last summer studying for boards, yikes!

Not me!!!!!

I love how our gunner class has slowly shifted into the "apathetic/slightly hostile to authority" class. Brings tears of pride to my eyes, I tell ya.

Y'all have a reputation even our class is hearing about.

It's nothing dramatic. Just general comments here and there.

Oh, that's no fun. I think some people probably think I'm an idiot by the way I can goof off (in study breaks) in the library.

There's no way to know all this stuff for the boards on Thursday. =( I'm still afraid of heavy biochem/neuro and light on the median nerve (which would be the opposite of Qbank so far).

There's no way to know all this stuff for the boards on Thursday. =( I'm still afraid of heavy biochem/neuro and light on the median nerve (which would be the opposite of Qbank so far).

Stop it. It's all in there (your head).
Relax for the next day or so, sleep well tomorrow night, and go do it.
You'll be fine on test day.

And then you'll be in Hawaii. :thumbup:

...and all 60 of us slept through the orientation while the undergrad people took notes on a sweet "fire triangle/ how to use a fire extinguisher" lecture.

Also, average for the phys final: 77. Why? "because the first three exams were too easy" according to phys faculty. Wow.

...and all 60 of us slept through the orientation while the undergrad people took notes on a sweet "fire triangle/ how to use a fire extinguisher" lecture.

:laugh:

I am looking for places to live right now. I will not have a car next year, but I am looking at the bus lines and the maps are not easy to decifer, so I thought some of your firsthand experience might work better. how accessible are the areas around campus by bus. Is the milwaukee bus system a reliable means of getting to and from school?

These are some apartments we were given, does anyone know their accesibilty by bus?

overlook
village view
parkside pool apartments
bluemound village apartments
the reserve
underwood station apartments
serafino square
mayfair mano
normandy village

any help would be appreciated, i'm planning to be in milwaukee friday to look at places

I am looking for places to live right now. I will not have a car next year, but I am looking at the bus lines and the maps are not easy to decifer, so I thought some of your firsthand experience might work better. how accessible are the areas around campus by bus. Is the milwaukee bus system a reliable means of getting to and from school?

These are some apartments we were given, does anyone know their accesibilty by bus?

overlook
village view
parkside pool apartments
the reserve
serafino square
mayfair mano
normandy village

any help would be appreciated, i'm planning to be in milwaukee friday to look at places

There's a busline that goes right in front of the reserve directly to school. I believe it's number 31.

I've never taken the bus here. I'm scared of public transportation except in London.

If you have a bike, it's not a bad ride.

I did Sudoku all of last year's orientation thing. Then in one of the stupid breakfast things I took my laptop and went online. In another breakfast thing, I sewed up my hand protector to wear under my splint because of hurting my thumb. Did I pay attention once? Nope. I was bitter mostly, there was one week that I couldn't go to surgery because of the stupid breakfast meeting.

overlook
village view
parkside pool apartments
the reserve
serafino square
mayfair mano
normandy village

I live at Normandy Village and it's possible to bus it, but I don't think it's very convenient to do so.

I can tell you that the Underwood Station Apartments aren't really close to a bus stop for one of the lines going by MCW. They're only about 2 miles from school though, so it's only a 30 minute walk or a 10 minute bike ride. I either walked or biked all of my M1 year from them and things were fine. Good luck searching for your apartment!

overlook
village view
parkside pool apartments
the reserve
serafino square
mayfair mano
normandy village

The only two lines that I would recommend living along (for getting to MCW by bus) are the 67 and the 31. Go to http://www.ridemcts.com and look up those two routes, and plan accordingly. The 67 goes along 76th Street once you're just out of the central Tosa area. There were plenty of rental places near 76th and Center, which would be a 10 minute bus ride, tops. If you're going to take the bus daily, living along Capitol Drive or North Avenue wouldn't be bad, because the 62 and 21 are pretty frequent fliers.

Also, average for the phys final: 77. Why? "because the first three exams were too easy" according to phys faculty. Wow.
what?? where did they say that? If that was the average, I guess I did fine then, but still not what I wanted. I don't really care now.

what?? where did they say that? If that was the average, I guess I did fine then, but still not what I wanted. I don't really care now.

One of the instructors said that to me yesterday.

If only you guys had studied for medical school material the summer before starting. I'm sure everyone in the class could have pulled off an honors if they just worked hard last July.

Take note, 2011ers!

[/Evil Misguided Falsehoods]

If only you guys had studied for medical school material the summer before starting. I'm sure everyone in the class could have pulled off an honors if they just worked hard last July.

Take note, 2011ers!

[/Evil Misguided Falsehoods]

Then they'd have a nice little talk from Lesley Mack telling the class no one had better fail boards. In order to accomplish that, she think they need to start studying at the beginning of M2 year. I think they incoming M1s should start studying for boards now if they want to be the class where no one fails.

Then they'd have a nice little talk from Lesley Mack telling the class no one had better fail boards. In order to accomplish that, she think they need to start studying at the beginning of M2 year. I think they incoming M1s should start studying for boards now if they want to be the class where no one fails.

Perish the thought! Have you actually read any of those (serious) threads in pre-allo with pre-meds buying First Aid and going through it during their junior and senior years to prep for med school? Makes me feel like all that time we spent learning material during the first two years of school was pretty worthless if these brilliant kids can pick up all of the important stuff in the 5 days it takes to read FA.

Perish the thought! Have you actually read any of those (serious) threads in pre-allo with pre-meds buying First Aid and going through it during their junior and senior years to prep for med school? Makes me feel like all that time we spent learning material during the first two years of school was pretty worthless if these brilliant kids can pick up all of the important stuff in the 5 days it takes to read FA.

Man, the classes must be getting smarter and smarter. Pretty soon med school's gonna be 2 years long -- just clinical, because everyone will have prepared so well beforehand, they'll just deem actual Ph.D teaching unnecessary. I wish I were in that generation.

No, I haven't been in pre-allo for a while to see those. Usually when I do go there, it's after I've searched for threads involving MCW.

Man, the classes must be getting smarter and smarter. Pretty soon med school's gonna be 2 years long -- just clinical, because everyone will have prepared so well beforehand, they'll just deem actual Ph.D teaching unnecessary. I wish I were in that generation.

But now that both of us have had to endure (and survived!) two years of basic science education it is our solemn duty to force everyone coming after us to do the same, regardless of whether it is an effective way to learn medicine or not. Medicine's unofficial motto is, after all, "Well back in my day..."

But now that both of us have had to endure (and survived!) two years of basic science education it is our solemn duty to force everyone coming after us to do the same, regardless of whether it is an effective way to learn medicine or not. Medicine's unofficial motto is, after all, "Well back in my day..."

Yeah, I was thinking that. Torture the kids for the sake of torture. They can all just glide through the classes. Or we can bring certain professors back to teach with random tangents on kidney diseases or in Hungarian.

Yay!

Ok, I should maybe consider getting ready to head up to Brookfield. :scared:

Bye bye kids! I'll report back later if I survive.

Good luck! The well-wishes of the Defenders of the Northeastish Corner of the Library are with you!!!

Yay!

Ok, I should maybe consider getting ready to head up to Brookfield. :scared:

Bye bye kids! I'll report back later if I survive.

Godspeed, dear Ashers! I have dispatched several agents to keep an eye on you and to protect you. They will be wearing dark suits and sunglasses and talking into their wrists.

Status
Not open for further replies.