MCW Class of 2014!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^Nice, a lot of students live there. That place is high-demand. I looked into living there but was too late - all the units had been rented by the time I had called.

Members don't see this ad.

I took a trip to 'Tosa a week and a half ago to look for apartments and had pretty good luck finding a nice 1 br close to school. I needed to find someplace right away due to being out of the country and the landlord seemed to have no problem with a move in date of early August. I did a mix of calling ahead and just dropping in. Most landlords I talked with seemed like they were quite accomodating to med students. I ended up going with a place called Wilshire Manor.

See everyone this August!

how much was the rent?

I took a trip to 'Tosa a week and a half ago to look for apartments and had pretty good luck finding a nice 1 br close to school. I needed to find someplace right away due to being out of the country and the landlord seemed to have no problem with a move in date of early August. I did a mix of calling ahead and just dropping in. Most landlords I talked with seemed like they were quite accomodating to med students. I ended up going with a place called Wilshire Manor.

See everyone this August!

Congrats on getting done finding a place! May I ask how many places you visited (both called in ahead/dropping in) before finding one that worked for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am about 95% certain I am going to MCW this August. Are there any other non-trad lurkers out there? I will be moving to Milwaukee with my girlfriend and cat and am toying around with the idea of looking for another older student/ couple to share a place with. Message me with some info if you are out there too. I would also be open to renting a room/ basement/ attic from another student that was looking to buy their own condo/ home....

Congrats on getting done finding a place! May I ask how many places you visited (both called in ahead/dropping in) before finding one that worked for you?

I called 4 places and stopped by 3 others (just called the number the place had posted on their sign and arranged something). For any place that does post on-line, I would check the distance from the school in advance. There were a couple cases where they posted themselves as being close to the med school when in fact they were 5+ miles away.

For the previous poster, I believe my rent is about $800/mo.

quick question. I was looking around for places and found this great place near Marquette university. Do you guys think it might too far, it think it's about a 10 min drive. Does anyone know what area is like?

thanks!

quick question. I was looking around for places and found this great place near Marquette university. Do you guys think it might too far, it think it's about a 10 min drive. Does anyone know what area is like?

thanks!

Be a little more specific about the address. The neighborhood can be a little iffy.

As far as distance is concerned, if you're already planning on bringing/having a reliable car and don't mind driving 10-15 minutes each way, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you're the type that likes to go back home for lunch/nap/snack/forgot something every day, then it may be worth considering being closer. Just something to think about. But if you like a little more freedom, being closer to the (more entertaining, I hear) areas like downtown, then it might be a perfect location.

I'd also suggest you check with some locals to see if the place is in a decent neighborhood. I was driving around tosa with some current students and they pointed out some areas where safety/crime were big concerns, so I urge you to keep that in mind. I remember being within minutes of Marquette during that discussion, but I don't remember which area, sorry.

Then again, I'm the one who would prefer a quiet cul-de-sac or something with no traffic so I can walk home no matter what time of day.

I think its close to N 17TH STREET.

Are there any specific areas I should stay away from as I continue my search?

I think its close to N 17TH STREET.

Are there any specific areas I should stay away from as I continue my search?
17th Street?

I don't know about the area safetywise, but that's definitely more than a 10 minute drive from MCW. It takes me 10 minutes to drive from 109th/bluemound to MCW (87th/watertown plank), it'd probably take at least twice that to come from something on 17th.

edit:
I'm actually going to be looking for a new roommate for next year myself, so I'll probably post something on the 2014 Facebook group in a few days (its currently exam week for us M1s).

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind the times you will be driving too and from school. The hospital and surrounding clinics/businesses employ a lot of people. There are also quite a few schools around. Traffic near MCW can get pretty rough at certain times.

:thumbup: This too. That 10 minute commute takes 15 minutes if I want to go to the 8 AM class. Longer during winter.

:thumbup: This too. That 10 minute commute takes 15 minutes if I want to go to the 8 AM class. Longer during winter.

makes sense. I should start looking for a place closer to campus. doesn't sound like its worth the trouble to live further for a nicer place.

makes sense. I should start looking for a place closer to campus. doesn't sound like its worth the trouble to live further for a nicer place.

Despite my previous warnings, I live quite a ways south of school - google maps says it is about 10 minutes, but you have to factor in the walk from the lot... Anyway, living "off-campus" is not a terrible decision, lots of people do it. However, being close by does have its perks.

(ps. CTB at 8am tomorrow- I hate you)

For those looking for an apartment complex, the three major ones where students live are The Reserve, Tosa Village and Serafino Square. There are some other complexes, (such as the place Raryn mentioned), but these tend to be the big three. People also live in four flats all around the area. In general, these are easy to get into because the landlords have current M4s leaving and want to have med students take their place. These tend to be in the few blocks right around the school.

Also, if you plan on driving to school, when you look at the time on google maps, add about 5 minutes for the walk to the parking lot. If you plan on walking, the four flats around school are easily walkable, although not recommended in winter.

For those looking for an apartment complex, the three major ones where students live are The Reserve, Tosa Village and Serafino Square. There are some other complexes, (such as the place Raryn mentioned), but these tend to be the big three. People also live in four flats all around the area. In general, these are easy to get into because the landlords have current M4s leaving and want to have med students take their place. These tend to be in the few blocks right around the school.

Also, if you plan on driving to school, when you look at the time on google maps, add about 5 minutes for the walk to the parking lot. If you plan on walking, the four flats around school are easily walkable, although not recommended in winter.

FYI to all y'all. The Reserve is really expensive. My rent started there about $1000/mo M1 year, by M4 year it was over $1300, and for my first year of residency, they wanted me to pay $1400/mo. Those are approximate numbers, more exact are in older class threads.

I moved to underwood station -- cheaper and has cable and H2O included. The Reserve includes nothing.

FYI to all y'all. The Reserve is really expensive. My rent started there about $1000/mo M1 year, by M4 year it was over $1300, and for my first year of residency, they wanted me to pay $1400/mo. Those are approximate numbers, more exact are in older class threads.

I moved to underwood station -- cheaper and has cable and H2O included. The Reserve includes nothing.

Wow. I knew the Reserve was expensive, but not THAT expensive. That price seems high even for sharing an apartment. Underwood has a couple of current M1s this year, but seems to have fallen off the map a little.

Also, if you plan on driving to school, when you look at the time on google maps, add about 5 minutes for the walk to the parking lot. If you plan on walking, the four flats around school are easily walkable, although not recommended in winter.[/QUOTE]

Granted this winter wasn't as bad as previous years, I walked, lol. If you live close enough, it's only a tad of a longer walk than walking from Lot C.

Granted this winter wasn't as bad as previous years, I walked, lol. If you live close enough, it's only a tad of a longer walk than walking from Lot C.

Ya, there are some places on Glenview or Harwood that are closer than the lot, but really getting any farther out and it would be tough to walk, even in a decent winter.

Holy crap. the house I just bought is gonna be $1000/month, including property taxes and insurance. That's just absurd.

Good gracious. I paid $775 for a huge two bedroom, and the upstairs unit, slightly less huge, is $675. Okay, there isn't covered parking, but knowing I could have been paying $1000 makes me feel better about the whole thing!

If anyone is looking to buy a place, there are three houses on my block (75th & Locust) for sale - one next door and the two right across the street. Pretty good places and I think none of them is more than $130k.

I have an odd question: I stayed with a host in 2009 when I interviewed and they had a two bedroom (two bath? I'm not sure) apartment with indoor (underground?) parking. It took around 5 minutes to drive from school to their place and it was relatively new. I think rent for the 2 bedroom apt was around $800-900... I lost the contact information for my hosts but I really liked their place so if anyone has a clue what the apartment could be, could you please let me know? Thaaanks!

I have an odd question: I stayed with a host in 2009 when I interviewed and they had a two bedroom (two bath? I'm not sure) apartment with indoor (underground?) parking. It took around 5 minutes to drive from school to their place and it was relatively new. I think rent for the 2 bedroom apt was around $800-900... I lost the contact information for my hosts but I really liked their place so if anyone has a clue what the apartment could be, could you please let me know? Thaaanks!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you might be talking about the Wilshire Manor Apartments on Harwood St. It has a covered garage and is pretty new. I don't know the price, but there are students living there now.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-3080880...7JzR0GIKtQ6tMRyHNcIF;_ylv=3?csz=Wauwatosa,+WI

Concerning the summer research program, how difficult is it to find/ be paired with a desired research mentor? I am interested in doing derm research and wondered how competitive it is to get a position.

Concerning the summer research program, how difficult is it to find/ be paired with a desired research mentor? I am interested in doing derm research and wondered how competitive it is to get a position.
Well, from what the research woman told us at the beginning of the year, in previous years everyone (100+ people) who applied for funding got it, whether from a set up fellowship or from one of the departments. This year the budget was a little more strained, but the only person I know who got denied funding ended up getting it from his PI anyway. No idea if anyone else got denied.

The important thing is to just take your own initiative and find a research mentor. If you have a reasonably interesting project lined up, you will almost certainly get money for it. The one sure fire way to not get $ is to not submit the proposal before the deadline (Jan 15/Feb 15 for the title/full proposal this year).

So long as you talk to the right people at the right time (all of that will be laid out for you when it is appropriate), and you and the mentor think its a good fit, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Good luck

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you might be talking about the Wilshire Manor Apartments on Harwood St. It has a covered garage and is pretty new. I don't know the price, but there are students living there now.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-3080880...7JzR0GIKtQ6tMRyHNcIF;_ylv=3?csz=Wauwatosa,+WI

Thanks cubssox!

Regarding research: does it usually take place during the year or in the summer, or both (seems like during the year since proposal deadline is Jan/Feb)? If it's during the year, it seems nice that there's time for research in addition to school.

Thanks cubssox!

Regarding research: does it usually take place during the year or in the summer, or both (seems like during the year since proposal deadline is Jan/Feb)? If it's during the year, it seems nice that there's time for research in addition to school.
Most people meet with preceptors to decide on a project during the fall/early spring and then do some preliminary work (planning, literature searches, IRB approval) in the late spring. The actual projects are supposed to be done in 8/10/12 week blocks during the summer, though some people do expand them into the fall semester of the second year if they're not done yet.

As for whether there's time to do research in addition to school during M1, I'd say there is if you really want to. During second semester at least the M1s currently have most afternoons off every week, as well as the majority of Fridays (depending on your pathway). If you wanted to get a jump start and do work during a few of those afternoons you could, but I only know of one person doing that. (And she's MD/PhD, so she has pretty good incentives to get a jump start on research)

Well, from what the research woman told us at the beginning of the year, in previous years everyone (100+ people) who applied for funding got it, whether from a set up fellowship or from one of the departments. This year the budget was a little more strained, but the only person I know who got denied funding ended up getting it from his PI anyway. No idea if anyone else got denied.

The important thing is to just take your own initiative and find a research mentor. If you have a reasonably interesting project lined up, you will almost certainly get money for it. The one sure fire way to not get $ is to not submit the proposal before the deadline (Jan 15/Feb 15 for the title/full proposal this year).

This is awesome news. I'm getting really excited about the opportunities next year!

Most people meet with preceptors to decide on a project during the fall/early spring and then do some preliminary work (planning, literature searches, IRB approval) in the late spring. The actual projects are supposed to be done in 8/10/12 week blocks during the summer, though some people do expand them into the fall semester of the second year if they're not done yet.

As for whether there's time to do research in addition to school during M1, I'd say there is if you really want to. During second semester at least the M1s currently have most afternoons off every week, as well as the majority of Fridays (depending on your pathway). If you wanted to get a jump start and do work during a few of those afternoons you could, but I only know of one person doing that. (And she's MD/PhD, so she has pretty good incentives to get a jump start on research)
If you choose the research pathway, do most people then spend Fridays during research? I was under the impression that Friday was a required day for pathway projects during MS1 and 2.

Also, I've withdrawn from all my schools except MCW and my state school and I'm having a difficult time deciding (although I'm starting to get a better idea). I was wondering if, as a current student there, you could tell me your two favorite things and your least two favorite things? You know, what makes MCW really special/unique and what is kind of a drag?

Thanks! I know you're busy :)

Just a reminder to those still hunting that the duplex where I live is still available--2 BR upper, 2BR + "study" lower. Contact me for details.

If you choose the research pathway, do most people then spend Fridays during research? I was under the impression that Friday was a required day for pathway projects during MS1 and 2.

Also, I've withdrawn from all my schools except MCW and my state school and I'm having a difficult time deciding (although I'm starting to get a better idea). I was wondering if, as a current student there, you could tell me your two favorite things and your least two favorite things? You know, what makes MCW really special/unique and what is kind of a drag?

"Most" Fridays would be an exaggeration. If things remain somewhat similar to this year, during the first semester the entire M1 class will go through "into to pathways" one Friday each month. After the first semester you will choose a pathway and then second semester, the once a month Friday meetings will be pathway specific.

The other Fridays you are encouraged to complete your "non-core" hours which are essentially resume building individual projects. If you are so motivated, there would be plenty of time to do research during the first year. However, time for life outside school is or primary importance (in my opinion), so I would advise against it. There are more opportunities than you realize at this point and there is no way to take advantage of them all... enjoy your free time before August.

(also, MCW is great, you should come here- but if you don't, drop your acceptance soon so that poor wait-list student can get their good news)

This is not exactly the case. Looking at the preliminary M1 Fall 2010 schedule, you all will have Tuesday afternoons and Friday afternoons off (time off is a little different during block I). For the introduction to pathway course, you'll likely have something like 10 sessions where you have to attend 7/10.

You will chose your pathway in the late fall and in the spring you will have "core" pathway activities once a month for ~4 hours. The rest of the days off you can use to complete your 6 hours/month of required core hours, study, or just relax.

Also, for those of you looking for living arrangements, the discussion board on the Facebook group is probably the most useful resource for y'all until the official orientation site is up mid-summer.

Last edited:
You mean they won't have those late Friday afternoon Anatomy labs? Lucky!

...then again...Pathways vs. Anatomy isn't exactly a fair exchange. :D

Seems like a lot of people are asking questions about research, and Raryn and Delo_Ohm have done a good job answering them. For those who are getting worried about not having research already picked out, remember that medical school is 4 years. There is plenty of time to get research in if you want to do it. In fact, thats partly why the Physician Scientist Pathway exists - so students can have research experience in times set up specifically for it.

M1 year is such a change of pace from what you're used to from college, you really need to make sure that you take the time to have a social life (while not falling behind on classes). Keeping your sanity will be much better for you in the long run that worrying about abstracts and thesis papers.

Seems like a lot of people are asking questions about research, and Raryn and Delo_Ohm have done a good job answering them. For those who are getting worried about not having research already picked out, remember that medical school is 4 years. There is plenty of time to get research in if you want to do it. In fact, thats partly why the Physician Scientist Pathway exists - so students can have research experience in times set up specifically for it.

M1 year is such a change of pace from what you're used to from college, you really need to make sure that you take the time to have a social life (while not falling behind on classes). Keeping your sanity will be much better for you in the long run that worrying about abstracts and thesis papers.

Agreed - have fun and enjoy the journey... it is a blast, and there are plenty of opportunities to distinguish yourself, it is not worth worrying about.

It could also be "The Overlook". It's a little farther out (7439 Harwood Avenue) but I have many friends who moved from Wilshire to The Overlook- slightly cheaper, and still really nice.

Oooh one of those apartments not listed online...thanks for the tip on one of these mysterious housing places. :p

Oooh one of those apartments not listed online...thanks for the tip on one of these mysterious housing places. :p

A lot of places are not listed online. If you can (and have a car), its worth driving up and down the streets looking for places. You never know what you'll find.

Yeah, if anyone is starting to look for smaller (duplexes, 4-plexes) places to move in July 1st, there's starting to be more of those around the area. A couple are within walking distance, too. We were just up in the area this weekend looking at June 1st places, and one apartment in a 4-plex just became a July move-in because they're putting in a brand new kitchen (pretty sweet). If anyone needs numbers/addresses for a few close June or July places, you can pm me.

Just a heads up, though, that one of the landlords right on Wisconsin right across from school has a ridiculously non-standard lease, so much so that we had to back down.

I am 90% sure that I am going to MCW next year (barring something happening with waitlists). I was wondering about financial aid. Obviously it's mostly loans, but I thought I remembered something in last year's thread about them telling you if you got a scholarship before they send you the full award letter (which I gather won't come until June or so). Is that true? Also, is it common to get some sort of grant money, or is it pretty rare?

Most small apartments (like a 4-plex) aren't listed online, and they're a lot cheaper than a bigger complex. I lived in a 2BR with 2 off-street parking spaces on 90th and North Ave (4-5 minutes from campus) for $675/month.

Most small apartments (like a 4-plex) aren't listed online, and they're a lot cheaper than a bigger complex. I lived in a 2BR with 2 off-street parking spaces on 90th and North Ave (4-5 minutes from campus) for $675/month.

What did you match into Prowler?

When does MCW give you your financial aid information? I thought schools were supposed to give you that information before May 15th, but the outline on MCW says June-July. :confused: