Mcw Class Of 2011 Awesome Part 3!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We had both Cowley and the comprehensive biochem final. Then again, we walked uphill both ways in the snow.

Members don't see this ad.

We had both Cowley and the comprehensive biochem final. Then again, we walked uphill both ways in the snow.

We have the special, enhanced Path TBL. Does that make you feel better?

does anyone know how useful getting a hold of/going through old ctb tests would be?

Members don't see this ad :)
We have the special, enhanced Path TBL. Does that make you feel better?

I already felt great (and was trying to be sarcastic, sorry if that didn't come across).

We graduate in two months and three days. And one month of that is vacation for me--I'm doing just fine.

I already felt great (and was trying to be sarcastic, sorry if that didn't come across).

We graduate in two months and three days. And one month of that is vacation for me--I'm doing just fine.

I kind of figured. I wasn't picturing you all bitter and angry. I just thought I'd give you extra schadenfreud in case you wanted some.

I did think of something this morning... we actually had to write words on our anatomy practicals. Can you imagine?

I did think of something this morning... we actually had to write words on our anatomy practicals. Can you imagine?

Oh yeah! You all had questions like "what structure articulates with the pinned structure", right?

No... I think all our questions were just "what's the pinned/labeled structure". Then there were the x-rays and such. But still, it was just identify the structure.

I figure why embroider a short coat that I'm just gonna burn to see what color fumes it produces after graduation next year.

I figure why embroider a short coat that I'm just gonna burn to see what color fumes it produces after graduation next year.

I'm pretty sure I would feel like a HUGE tool walking around the wards in a short white coat with my name embroidered on it. Future 3rd years...don't do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, all the orthos get little name badges like we have.

Just the example of which I was thinking.

I think as a resident if we had to have one of those little name badges or embroidered, I'd rather go with embroidered. I've already lost my badge once this year, and it's constantly upside down. As a med student, it's just stupid, and I'm sure it'll add to the confusion about your role. I've already had several patients say they don't see a difference in coat length.

I've had 5 or 6 emails about embroidering my white coat. Cripes! leave me alone!

Did anyone catch the WGN St. Patrick's day parade today? Was Samenewme on there Irish dancing?

Did anyone catch the WGN St. Patrick's day parade today? Was Samenewme on there Irish dancing?

Wasn't me. I only do Scottish Country and swing dancing. Some of my friends to Irish Set and Ceilidh dancing, but I don't know anyone very well who does step dancing (the fancy Riverdancy stuff).

Sharpie. So much faster -- you can even use gold sharpies. It'll be so much more classy.

Sadly I don't have any good sharpies lying around. I do have plenty of 3-0 silk and 4-0 vicryl though.

define "have".

What is this "do"?

I "did" things. I bought hair stuff and exchanged some makeup and um, ate, and, um, oh! sat on my butt!
I was actually productive on Friday and today. I was at school from 6:30am until 1:30pm. But I did start out by sleeping for an hour and a half. :D I'm pretty much caught up with our lectures now. I plan to do some board review over the rest of break.

I'm guessing by the fact that I'm bumping this thread from 5 weeks ago means I will get resounding silence to this, but oh well:

Announcing the "sale" of a full set of pharm cards (as the pharm class was in 2006). And by sale, I mean that if you tell me your name, they will appear in your open mailbox. They are in boxes, organized by class (antibacterials, anti-adrenergics, etc). Please don't make me throw them away.

I'm guessing by the fact that I'm bumping this thread from 5 weeks ago means I will get resounding silence to this, but oh well:

Announcing the "sale" of a full set of pharm cards (as the pharm class was in 2006). And by sale, I mean that if you tell me your name, they will appear in your open mailbox. They are in boxes, organized by class (antibacterials, anti-adrenergics, etc). Please don't make me throw them away.

I alerted an M1 to your post.

are those pharm cards still available??

also, how did u guys prep for the phys final? i'm very scared about it.

Go through all the old exams (individual and finals) and identify your weak spots, making a list as you go. Then study your weak areas. Then repeat. Spend extra time on kidney and cardio or whatever was hard for you. Be aware that every year somebody whose stuff was easy gets suddenly harder on the final. It seems to be different each year. Life is like that. If you know the stuff on the old exams well, and you have polished up your weak areas, you will not flunk first year because of the phys final.

Know everything. The final is very very comprehensive. Go through it all systematically, and know all the stuff from the previous exams. Use the practice tests.

...and don't count on raising your grade at all. It isn't going to happen.

ya, i'm just aiming to pass it.

i have the first aid book and brs phy, but i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to get any other review books (like rapid review path, micro made ridiculously simple, etc...)

i have the first aid book and brs phy, but i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to get any other review books (like rapid review path, micro made ridiculously simple, etc...)

Wait until the M2s are done with them, then maybe someone can hand them down. Don't start studying for step 1 during your only summer off.

edit: unless you mean for class. I liked Lange Micro and Immuno for micro and BRS path.

see if your big sib will pass down some stuff, but the Basic Immuno is a must for almost everyone. Rapid Review Path is great.

i heard next year's path text is Rapid Review by Goljan. How awesome would that be?

but the Basic Immuno is a must for almost everyone.

I disagree. I didn't use any immuno book during micro, and the first exam was my best. And I didn't exactly hear everyone raving about that book like they do for Netter and Goljan. I did use High Yield Immuno for board study.

There are very few books that are a must for almost everyone.

I hated the required immuno book. Poorly written, not well explained. I read it, and it was a waste of my time. The immuno section in Lange was better. I used my college text, Janeway Immunobiology, when I wanted more information.

Personally I loved the immuno book and did better on that block of material than any of the other tests. Go figure.

see if your big sib will pass down some stuff, but the Basic Immuno is a must for almost everyone. Rapid Review Path is great.

I agree with Splat on this one. Tried going without the recommended Basic Immuno book for about the first week and got frustrated with the notes that essentially just reprinted tables and figures from that book w/o much explanation beyond alphabet soup on each slide. Picked up the book and it cleared things up nicely. I also did well on that first exam and even nailed the immuno questions on the cumulative final after giving the book a quick review.

By the way, overall I freakin' hated the immuno material. For realz.

I agree with Splat on this one. Tried going without the recommended Basic Immuno book for about the first week and got frustrated with the notes that essentially just reprinted tables and figures from that book w/o much explanation beyond alphabet soup on each slide. Picked up the book and it cleared things up nicely. I also did well on that first exam and even nailed the immuno questions on the cumulative final after giving the book a quick review.

By the way, overall I freakin' hated the immuno material. For realz.

I have an interesting thesis sitting around. Good read. The Characterization of Three Anti-T Cell Receptor Monoclonal Antibodies

If I were a glutton for pain, I'd think about considering enduring a medicine residency to do rheum, but unlike ortho, those patients never get better.

even the old hip fracture ladies that die within months?

Orthopods just do a hip replacement and assume that the old ladies go back to her favorite X-treme sports just like their other patients. ;)

Or at least watching MXC on TV while extreme catalog ordering.

I basically just had more attendings tell me not to do ortho. boo!

all the attendings and residents I spoke with on family medicine told me to do ortho over anesthesia. I thought that was interesting.

I admitted to my otho residents that I'm debating my specialty choice, which may not have been a good idea. I am just not a good liar. But I will be brushing up my skills to lie to the attendings. Well, not lie, just not tell the whole truth.

Edit: Back to the issue at hand. I wasn't intending to say don't use the immuno book. I was just pointing out that I didn't think it was a must-have.

all the attendings and residents I spoke with on family medicine told me to do ortho over anesthesia. I thought that was interesting.

I admitted to my otho residents that I'm debating my specialty choice, which may not have been a good idea. I am just not a good liar. But I will be brushing up my skills to lie to the attendings. Well, not lie, just not tell the whole truth.

Edit: Back to the issue at hand. I wasn't intending to say don't use the immuno book. I was just pointing out that I didn't think it was a must-have.

I think I'm one of the few people who couldn't stand the book.

Dr. Torre and my other attending were basically telling me I should do medicine. hmmm...