MCW 2011 part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first day of TTC I walked in and saw him studying RR Path. I told him to put it away, and he goes "you'd be studying too if your boards were Friday." I was literally speechless. My jaw fell to the floor, and then I remembered who I was talking to.

Members don't see this ad.

The first day of TTC I walked in and saw him studying RR Path. I told him to put it away, and he goes "you'd be studying too if your boards were Friday." I was literally speechless. My jaw fell to the floor, and then I remembered who I was talking to.

With how interested he's been in plastics, you'd think he'd know that one would have to do well on the boards a long time ago instead of just finding out this summer.

With how interested he's been in plastics, you'd think he'd know that one would have to do well on the boards a long time ago instead of just finding out this summer.
Weird. I knew what a good board score was prior to being accepted to med school. I'm not planning on studying until next March or April at the earliest, but still....

So, M3s, when exactly did you get out of class this year? You started January 2, and we'll be starting January 7. My brother is thinking of getting married on Memorial Day weekend (out in Oregon, no less), and I'm wondering how that's going to leave me for the boards....I'm going to his wedding obviously (I'm 95% sure I'll be the best man). At least I'm not like one girl in our class who's getting married a week after taking Step 1 :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
So, how'd that weird kid in the cafeteria do on the MCAT?

Weird. I knew what a good board score was prior to being accepted to med school. I'm not planning on studying until next March or April at the earliest, but still....

So, M3s, when exactly did you get out of class this year? You started January 2, and we'll be starting January 7. My brother is thinking of getting married on Memorial Day weekend (out in Oregon, no less), and I'm wondering how that's going to leave me for the boards....I'm going to his wedding obviously (I'm 95% sure I'll be the best man). At least I'm not like one girl in our class who's getting married a week after taking Step 1 :eek:

There were a bunch of people who go married right after taking step 1.

It's doable to have stuff while studying for boards, you might have to have the date a little further back than you would've normally.

He's back studying. Apparently he voided the MCAT in the middle of it.
creepy pre-med? seriously??? un-farkin-believable....

He's probably studied more for the MCAT in 2-3 weeks than I did total.

So am I allowed to come into campus...i don't start until August. Where can I go to see the list of available apartments?

Thanks
AW

So am I allowed to come into campus...i don't start until August. Where can I go to see the list of available apartments?

Thanks
AW

Yes you are allowed on campus. You can probably park in the lot across from school (the big one) if you drive up to the little green security booth and tell the guy you're a visitor. He'll probably ask who you're here for, so just say something like "department of admissions." He probably won't care. Your other option is to just park in the circle right in front of school...people have parked there for a few hours at a time without a problem, but I wouldn't push it too long.

I don't think the school maintains a list of apartments (they do of people seeking roommates), but if you look around you'll find message boards with ads for apartments for rent.

Places where people post apartment for rent ads:
Cafeteria
Column somewheres near the connector between MCW and the brand new research building (near the new student lounge)
Some of the stairwells in the older part of the building also have ads.
Your other options are internet sites and to just drive around near school. there are plenty of complexes and privately owned rentals you can find.

Some of the stairwells in the older part of the building also have ads.
Lots of the stairwells have them, every time I look. If you walk in and take either a left or a right, the stairs on the inner walls will have bulletin boards in them (the stairwells with the windows to the outside are the wrong stairwells).

parking is absolutely horrible in and around campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
parking is absolutely horrible in and around campus.

You can park in visitor parking and tell the guard you were just admitted for the fall and want to go to the admin office to look at the apartment listings and at this point he'll just smile and hand you the clipboard to sign. They don't care. You're a visitor because you are not yet enrolled and you don't work here. I think there may also be a notebook of apartment listings in the office on the third floor, near admissions.

If you want REALLY BAD parking you have to go to Tulane. When I took a night class there, it was pretty much all street parking all the time and I actually had to follow people up and down St. Charles Avenue and hope they were heading for their cars. Fortunately nobody shot me or called the police. Or LSU, which prided itself on being "a walking campus", which meant you had to park at the edges of campus and take irregularly scheduled busses to wherever you wanted to go.

At least there IS an assigned parking lot here, even if it's not the shortest walk in the world.

there is also 2 hours parking directly on watertown that should be empty

or just tell the security guard you're here to use the library. it's a public library so that shouldn't be an issue. or shoot him and go park.

I actually went back and parked at the handicap parking place in front of the building. However, when I went back to the school at ca. 6.00pm, the front (rolling) gate wasn't moving anymore. Even, at5pm, I found the building unexpectedly quiet.

I found a place at AETNA CT(1.4miles from school)... Anybody has anything to say about this area? ($550)

Also, got an apt at 92nd str (2.9 miles from school )... actually prefers here cos of the price($425)

Anyone better than the other?

Thanks
AW

Yep, the scary spinny door gets shut at 6pm.

I don't know anything about apartments, sorry. :)

I actually went back and parked at the handicap parking place in front of the building. However, when I went back to the school at ca. 6.00pm, the front (rolling) gate wasn't moving anymore. Even, at5pm, I found the building unexpectedly quiet.

I found a place at AETNA CT(1.4miles from school)... Anybody has anything to say about this area? ($550)

Also, got an apt at 92nd str (2.9 miles from school )... actually prefers here cos of the price($425)

Thanks
AW

Aetna is a pretty nice neighborhood. At least, it seemed nice when I use to run that way.

92nd is 3 miles from school? What is the cross-street?

Aetna is a pretty nice neighborhood. At least, it seemed nice when I use to run that way.

92nd is 3 miles from school? What is the cross-street?

Orchard street.

those are pretty good neighborhoods. You won't be walking to school though. Is heat included?

94 % humidity right now. yum.

Thanks
AW

It's summer.

And after 6pm and weekends/holidays, you need an ID to get in.

Wow you found cheap apartments.

It's summer.

And after 6pm and weekends/holidays, you need an ID to get in.

Wow you found cheap apartments.

by the way, April...I just got a call from Normandy Village yesterday...almost panicky. A "clerical error" caused them to miss sending me a renewal notice and they "need to know ASAP" if i'm renewing or vacating.

hello everyone,

does MCW have a fitness facility? Would you guys perfer getting a membership at a local gym or is the mcw fitness center sufficient?

thanks

hello everyone,

does MCW have a fitness facility? Would you guys perfer getting a membership at a local gym or is the mcw fitness center sufficient?

thanks

mcw does indeed have a fitness facility, free of fees. fancy? eh, I dunno. It's fine. Got treadmills and ellipticals and free weights and such. personally I haven't used it because I'm anti-fitness. but many people seem to like it just fine.

hello everyone,

thanks

It depends on what you want. 3 stairclimbers, 3 ellipticals, 3 treadmills, a bike, one exercise ball, a reasonable assortment of free weights and machines are all there. It's seldom, if ever, so crowded that you have to wait for a machine. Small but serviceable locker room. It's kind of dinky looking but walk around and think about what you really want to do that you can't do there. You may be quite satisfied.

If you want a pool, sauna, more cardio options, aerobics classes, and all that, you can choose from the Y, the Bally's in West Allis, or the WAC across the street for various prices. I joined Bally's month-to-month for the summer to work out with my boyfriend, but I was fine in the school's gym during the year. The gym just got a bigger line item in the budget, so there should be gradual improvements in cardio equipment, etc. forthcoming.

There is a 3 bedroom at 530 n 60th for rent to "med students, preferably". The landlord is great. If you want the phone number let me know and I'll send it to you. I haven't seen the place but I'd bet that it is pretty nice given the shape of the one I live in now.

Cardinal Fitness on Mayfair has 20 dollars/ month with no contract. This is a place where people do more working out than flexing...it is kinda nice not having to wait 35 minutes for some tool to get done with his series of 3 sets seperated by 5 minutes on the cell phone.

Cardinal Fitness on Mayfair has 20 dollars/ month with no contract. This is a place where people do more working out than flexing...it is kinda nice not having to wait 35 minutes for some tool to get done with his series of 3 sets seperated by 5 minutes on the cell phone.
do you work out there? I heard it's a bit spartan on the "creature comforts" like having towels and stuff.

do you work out there? I heard it's a bit spartan on the "creature comforts" like having towels and stuff.

it is true. bring your own towlie. I'll take no towels over that huge cluster F that occurs at bally's from 3:30- 6:30 every day. Plus, it is open until 10 on weekdays. I read that some guy got a facial rash from a gym towel.

I wish they had 24 hour fitness here. A gym that is open 24 hours/ day is awesome for insomniacs.

They don't have a sauna or any of that stuff either. They do have tanning beds though.

edit: yep, that is where I work out although I may switch to the WAC because of the sheer number of hotties I saw going in there while I was eating at that little resteraunt that is attached to it.

side note: Have you seen that turbo porsche that is parked outside the plastic surgery center? I want it

You keep it active while you are over here?

It was a special where my parents paid $800 for 3 years, then pay $20/yr for the rest of your life (which'll probably transfer to me soon). My parents made me join when I lived at home b4 med school, so now I'm in the $20/yr thing.

It was a special where my parents paid $800 for 3 years, then pay $20/yr for the rest of your life (which'll probably transfer to me soon). My parents made me join when I lived at home b4 med school, so now I'm in the $20/yr thing.

That is a fantastic deal if you can be sure that you be able to use it for a long time.

I miss the brushed metal decorations and the steam room.

Hell, even my hometown of 3000 people has a 24-hour gym. Snap fitness I think it's called. Milwaukee must have one somewhere. Though I guess if you're looking for a specific chain, ya might not find it.

I wish they had 24 hour fitness here. A gym that is open 24 hours/ day is awesome for insomniacs.

side note: Have you seen that turbo porsche that is parked outside the plastic surgery center? I want it
The Greenfield WAC is 24 hours a day during the week.

And no, but there is a black Porsche Carrera that parks at the WAC periodically, and there was a Viper by the orthopedic clinic last week.

i live in wauwatosa now!!

Then they all relocate to Tucson in the winter. Except those of us who are unfortunate enough to have to stay here and suffer.

Someday that will be me. For now it works out because I have a feeling we won't be seeing much of the great outdoors (other than sporadic views from hospital windows) for about the next 5 years or so.

Someday that will be me. For now it works out because I have a feeling we won't be seeing much of the great outdoors (other than sporadic views from hospital windows) for about the next 5 years or so.

I have surgery in Jan/Feb. That was my immediate plan, except it may be a bit miserable to leave my apt so stinking early when it's -5923983472938° outside.

Don't you know that ortho's supposed to be jocks, they've got scheduled sports times. ;) or um, i wish.

I have surgery in Jan/Feb. That was my immediate plan, except it may be a bit miserable to leave my apt so stinking early when it's -5923983472938° outside.

Don't you know that ortho's supposed to be jocks, they've got scheduled sports times. ;) or um, i wish.

Heh, I forgot to tell you that during my first couple days on service one of my intern's favorite games when I was around was asking the consultants we talked to what specialty they thought I would go into based only on my appearance. The number one choice was ortho.

Heh, I forgot to tell you that during my first couple days on service one of my intern's favorite games when I was around was asking the consultants we talked to what specialty they thought I would go into based only on my appearance. The number one choice was ortho.

haha. that's awesome. Did anyone get it right?

I wonder what people think about me. I did get staff at the hospital saying I looked like I was into sports and stuff.

Oh, I would recommend Menomenee Falls for Psych. No residents, and my attending's incredibly entertaining and cool. We talk about sports (watching and playing -- lots of them), video games (kinda -- I'm limited), and he's been good at teaching. If anyone wants to borrow Kaplan and Saddock for it, I bought it b/c I basically had to. I got through 2 years without that book, and now, for a 1 month rotation, I need to read out of a newer version of it than the library can provide.

That happened to me too. Pegged for ortho by looks alone.

I wonder what a Urologist looks like?

haha. that's awesome. Did anyone get it right?

Nopers. One did guess that I would be a decent nephrologist though. I thought that was pretty flattering.

So Don and Xandie--how do you know whether you are really, really into a rotation vs. just like clinical medicine in general over the first two years? So far I'm having a blast during my rotation (aside from feeling like the medicine is way over my head and hurting feet during rounds) and I'm trying to decide if I really am that interested in inpatient peds (which was on my radar before this year began). I feel like a dork but when my intern tells me to leave for the day I feel a little disappointed that I don't get to stick around and see more.

Hhhmmm... I wonder what specialty I look like.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is gonna look at us and immediately be like "Oh, ortho." As long as people don't look at me and say, "Oh, Nurse!" I'm pretty OK with it.

Me and my intern have already been called nurses several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.