Mcw Class Of 2011 Awesome Part 3!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would like to take credit for the following news story published just this morning, as the big guy upstairs simply cannot resist an opportunity to make yours truly eat his own foot.

Brazilian boy with rabies in recovery
'Milwaukee protocol' finds some success

Thanks a lot Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and your anti-Funk bias. :mad:
somebody not reading the whole discussion before posting?

Members don't see this ad.

Geez, what a *******. Can you believe that guy didn't read all the posts in this thread before replying?! What a noob. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you had already read the article and subsequently wanted the protocol to have like 20 cases where it worked instead of 3.

Oh, I still think that there need to be more reports before opening the MCW Curative Rabies Center, but it's a start.

i hate lung cancers and I don't want to take this test!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

and rabies is stupid to!

but at least its not biochem!:D

i hate lung cancers and I don't want to take this test!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Good luck, kiddo. On the bright side you only have another semester (and then some) to go!

okay, so that wasn't so much the bright side. My bad.

did anyone take a practice step 1 through prometric or some other source? if so, did you think it was worth it (vs just doing tons of questions)?
also- how long did everyone allow between the end of school and their exam? (sort of a moot point since i scheduled mine already... more curiosity i guess.) i am a little worried about giving myself enough time versus too much time.

I thought about it, and a number of classmates just went to Prometric to see where it was before their test day, but I decided to do an NBME exam in the MCW library under testing conditions (timed exam, short breaks, earplugs, back in the far corner). It's more convenient and cheaper.

You can change your date if you want, but most people thought 3-4 weeks was definitely sufficient. Five weeks is almost guaranteed to be way too much.

Yeah, I recommend the NBME exams, but actually going to Prometric for the sample exam isn't worth it.

I took 2 of the NBME exams at home and was glad I did.

I took step 1 30 days after M2 finals, and took weekends and memorial weekend off, except for the weekend right before my exam.

Yeah, I recommend the NBME exams, but actually going to Prometric for the sample exam isn't worth it.

I took 2 of the NBME exams at home and was glad I did.

I took step 1 30 days after M2 finals, and took weekends and memorial weekend off, except for the weekend right before my exam.
And freaked out and wanted to change the date too, because you went home so much. something like that.

And freaked out and wanted to change the date too, because you went home so much. something like that.

I was at home for only one stretch, which was planned in.

It was just a brief mini-melt down which was uncalled for. I did fine on the exam.

But thanks for reminding me.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the help. i am taking it june 17th, which gives me a solid month. i am preparing for a few freakouts (and getting some out of the system now to save time :rolleyes:).

Here's some other awesome advice. When scheduling interviews for residency:

Good idea: Lumping a couple interviews in the same area together to save money and time.

Bad idea: Lumping FIVE interviews together within a week to save money and time. 3 in a row with one free day (to visit an Air Force museum) then two more in a row. I forgot what my apartment looks like.

Here's some other awesome advice. When scheduling interviews for residency:

Good idea: Lumping a couple interviews in the same area together to save money and time.

Bad idea: Lumping FIVE interviews together within a week to save money and time. 3 in a row with one free day (to visit an Air Force museum) then two more in a row. I forgot what my apartment looks like.

I'm lumping about 7 together over about 1.5 weeks in very different parts of the country... is that a bad idea?

thanks for the help. i am taking it june 17th, which gives me a solid month. i am preparing for a few freakouts (and getting some out of the system now to save time :rolleyes:).
I thought we couldn't register more than 6 months in advance. I really want June 12th... does any one have problems getting the date they want?

i think we just can't register for the three month block more than 6 mos. in advance... maybe...?? when i registered (on monday) there were still most days open. a few days were filled, so you might want to register asap just to make sure you get the day you want. i don't think the 12th was filled because i considered taking it that day.

I'm still not able to register because I don't have a scheduling permit yet because the first time I sent in my application MCW forget the seal. Grrr... Do you remember which days were filled? I'm so mad they screwed up the application. I could have registered by now.

I thought we couldn't register more than 6 months in advance. I really want June 12th... does any one have problems getting the date they want?

I took it on June 12. I highly recommend. :D

allerian- i know that june 18th was full, and a few days in may were full. other than that i can't remember any of the other days (sorry). the filled days looked pretty random- i assumed people would fill up the fridays first. that really sucks that they messed up your application- i was worried about mine because i got it in right away but it took what seemed like fooorrrevvveeeerr for them to process. hopefully they have it figured out and sped things up.

Last edited:
So... 3rd and 4th years what elective did you take? I got the C08 track and I'm thinking I'm going to keep because I have some friends in it and the schedule is fine. (I only wish I could surgery done with sooner...) I'm looking at taking peds cardio, peds pul or diagnostic radiology. My elective month is september. I am also planning (it's scheduled) to have strabismus surgery (my 2nd one to correct exotropia) on the 4th. Is it a problem to get one day off? It's a friday. Would it be possible I might get labor day off ? (The 7th) I should be functional come monday since they are going to try to do one eye. The operated eye will probably be uncomfortable (and red for months... joy) but I think the final outcome will be worth. Do you think this is reasonable.. surgery during elective? I would prefer to do an elective so I have that as another vacation month for fourth year. Asher's... I loved your idea about having april off to go find housing. That's amazing. (I'm going to steal that idea :) ).

So... 3rd and 4th years what elective did you take? I got the C08 track and I'm thinking I'm going to keep because I have some friends in it and the schedule is fine. (I only wish I could surgery done with sooner...) I'm looking at taking peds cardio, peds pul or diagnostic radiology. My elective month is september. I am also planning (it's scheduled) to have strabismus surgery (my 2nd one to correct exotropia) on the 4th. Is it a problem to get one day off? It's a friday. Would it be possible I might get labor day off ? (The 7th) I should be functional come monday since they are going to try to do one eye. The operated eye will probably be uncomfortable (and red for months... joy) but I think the final outcome will be worth. Do you think this is reasonable.. surgery during elective? I would prefer to do an elective so I have that as another vacation month for fourth year. Asher's... I loved your idea about having april off to go find housing. That's amazing. (I'm going to steal that idea :) ).

The credit for April off probably goes to Xandie for most people on this board. For me it goes to my friends who are PGY-2s and Xandie. ;)

I still think it should be fine. Funk may know more about the peds situation and holidays though.

Radiology is a good elective, they're pretty flexible even for third years. If you have medical needs, I have a feeling they'd be very willing to give you time off for it.

Yay! I occasionally have good ideas!!

Enjoy your time off now... medicine is such a different animal when they're actually your patients (fully realizing that none of the current fourth years are going into anything even resembling primary care).

In other news, I'm on gyn onc for the month. By myself. As in, no other residents, no fellows. Just me and an attending... like I said, enjoy that time off! :)

Hi Xandie!! You're my favorite ob-gyn resident. Don't work too hard.

Yay! I occasionally have good ideas!!

Enjoy your time off now... medicine is such a different animal when they're actually your patients (fully realizing that none of the current fourth years are going into anything even resembling primary care).

Hey now, i'm primary care's backup plan! That's gotta count for something.

The credit for April off probably goes to Xandie for most people on this board. For me it goes to my friends who are PGY-2s and Xandie. ;)

I still think it should be fine. Funk may know more about the peds situation and holidays though.

I think the 3rd year peds cards elective must be new. I took the 4th year version of that elective this July and it was a great month. I think they would be very understanding about time off for your surgery and you're almost guaranteed to get holidays off without even asking. I distinctly recall getting the 4th of July off without discussion.

The other nice thing about that rotation is that (at least for 4th years) it can really be geared towards anything you want to learn. Thinking about primary care peds? Then you can hang out with someone different everyday in clinic and get good at picking out innocent murmurs. Thinking about ICU work? Then you can round daily with the PICU or NICU teams. Hospitalist peds? Do some consults and get a feel for what a legit cards consult should be. You can even spend a bunch of time in the cath lab if you're a wannabe cardiologist cath jockey like yours truly.

Overall, great times in a dept. that really allows you to be independent and learn what you want to learn rather than scutting you out.

I did outpatient peds cards, and it did wonders for my abilities to pick up heart murmurs.

does the health policy exam generally follow the study guide, or should i try to listen to the lectures/read the articles

does the health policy exam generally follow the study guide, or should i try to listen to the lectures/read the articles

That's a good question.

One of the hardest exams. I think I failed it before the curve, then I ended up with a HP -- so maybe I just had a LP before the curve.

oh, man, know ALL of Dr. Seth Foldy's factoids - all the percentages especially. they were almost all on there.

Hey. I'll all pumped about my iPod touch, but how do I log onto the FMLH WiFi. Can anyone share the password with me?

Hey. I'll all pumped about my iPod touch, but how do I log onto the FMLH WiFi. Can anyone share the password with me?

Back in my day they gave us a PDA, 2 tin cans and a piece of string. And you know what? We liked it that way!

Holy crap i think i rocked step one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i cant' wait to be a m3 and stufff!!!!! :D:D:D:love:

Holy crap i think i rocked step one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now i cant' wait to be a m3 and stufff!!!!! :D:D:D:love:

Oooh, sorry, that means you did poorly. Only people who think they failed it wind up with good scores.

Totally kidding...good luck with 3rd year! What do you start out with?

it was'nt any harder than qbank really so I think i'll do good cuz i rocked that!!!

i get to start with a radiology elective. so much for my carefuly earned tan!!!!!! ;)

omg i forgot you guyz are Doctors now!!!! great job!!!!!!!!!!! :love::love: don't be mean to me if you see me soon!!!!!!!!!!!