HMS vs. Pritzker vs. Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school

• HMS

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Yale

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • Pritzker

Votes: 43 45.3%

• Total voters

toughdecisions123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty much tearing my hair out at this point about where to go and would appreciate any feedback!

HMS: Reputation obviously, but the students seemed so stressed out when I visited and its my most expensive option. Also not interested in staying in Boston for residency.

Pritzker: Cheapest option by about 100k but weakest reputation if I'm not interested in staying in the midwest. However, I think Chicago is awesome and I'm from Indiana so might be interested in staying in the midwest after graduation. Also the administration was the nicest.

Yale: Yale system means really chill clinical years, but New Haven is a little worrisome. When I visited I felt like Yale had stronger research opportunities than Pritzker, almost on par with Harvard. I think I would enjoy the freedom of the Yale system. Also I did research here during my gap year and would already have an established lab to work with.

Let me know what you guys think and thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds to me that you would prefer Pritzker. It's a great place and 100K is a huge chunk of money. I would be similarly torn if I were you, but would probably pick HMS if I was able to afford it.

I can't imagine any of those options hindering your career. If you are interested in staying in the midwest, I would go with Pritzker (save yourself the money and go to an amazing medical school). If you are interested in matching into a Harvard-affiliated residency (or really want their sterling reputation and research opportunities), HMS could be worth it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey it seems like you're not very interested in HMS despite the Harvard name. That being said, Yale has such a specific program and curriculum that you really have to see yourself thriving in it. If you can take advantage of the Yale System you should for sure go there! That being said, 100K is a ton of money!

3 very different programs although Yale and pritzker more similar than Harvard. Only you can decide about the money. If you think you would enjoy not being compared to your classmates and avoiding jumping through more hoops while in Med school then consider Yale more heavily. If you want the biggest name (Harvard) or really like a mix of a strong name/program with a great city in Chicago then consider Pritzker. If you have specific questions about Yale or want to know about my decision (similar to yours) then PM me.

Best of luck !

Reactions: 1 users