Drexel DPMS 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey did they tell u why u were rejected? u got an answer super soon. I was interviewd back on april 20 and have still yet to hear back for a responce. im still waiting...

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the deadline has passed, we r getting closer. I just found out the program start date is set for June 20th. The DPMS subcommittee will make final decisions within the next 3 weeks not sure if it is ongoing or after the final interviews, but good luck everyone :xf::xf::xf:

@belochka, dont give up!! i'm not sure that msp is worth it either because if you do it, you cannot reapply to DPMS. As a DPMS reapplicant, I would say that applying EARLY to DPMS 2011, may be a better option, if you improve your application (ie take some classes as a pre-matric somewhere, do more volunteer work, improve your mcat scores on your own) Good Luck!

Well, the deadline has passed, we r getting closer. I just found out the program start date is set for June 20th. The DPMS subcommittee will make final decisions within the next 3 weeks not sure if it is ongoing or after the final interviews, but good luck everyone :xf::xf::xf:

@belochka, dont give up!! i'm not sure that msp is worth it either because if you do it, you cannot reapply to DPMS. As a DPMS reapplicant, I would say that applying EARLY to DPMS 2011, may be a better option, if you improve your application (ie take some classes as a pre-matric somewhere, do more volunteer work, improve your mcat scores on your own) Good Luck!

Thanks for the support and for the piece of advice. I wish you luck and hope you get in this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, does anyone know the date of the the last round of interviews? I'm just curious because I want a decision already...patience is truly a virtue which i'm sorta lacking right now lol ...good luck everyone :):xf::xf::luck:

Hey, does anyone know the date of the the last round of interviews? I'm just curious because I want a decision already...patience is truly a virtue which i'm sorta lacking right now lol ...good luck everyone :):xf::xf::luck:

That's so real.:laugh:

i think the last round of interviews (this is just a guess) is mid- May. When I applied last year, I was the last round we had a choice between Mid and Late May (Dates were late teens, early 20s) and I got the decision the following week (Just about June 1).

It seems that they get alot of applications at the deadline and because the program is starting the 3rd week of June, rather than the 2nd, we might not hear back until well into the beginning of june :confused:

i think the last round of interviews (this is just a guess) is mid- May. When I applied last year, I was the last round we had a choice between Mid and Late May (Dates were late teens, early 20s) and I got the decision the following week (Just about June 1).

It seems that they get alot of applications at the deadline and because the program is starting the 3rd week of June, rather than the 2nd, we might not hear back until well into the beginning of june :confused:

I thought we were supposed to hear back may 31st?

I applied late in the cycle around April 15th my application was complete late April. I received an interview via email earlier this week for next Tuesday, May 25th. I am going to assume that this is the last interview day for the DPMS program at Drexel.;)

I thought we were supposed to hear back may 31st?

Yeah I specifically asked this question to the director and she said there is no definite date set for the final decisions to be made as of yet but we would hear back within the next 3 weeks (of may 17). So those who interview the last day, which is probably the 25th will get a decision later that week, or early the following week. Their wait is much shorter, yet every bit as torturous as those who interviewed in April.:luck:

I interviewed on Tues and we were told that the adcom subcommittee will be meeting Thursday May 27th. After they review the 100 interviewees and decide on 25 applicants to send acceptances to, those names will be presented to the full adcom. We were told to expect to hear something the first week of June. Good luck everyone!

I interviewed on Tues and we were told that the adcom subcommittee will be meeting Thursday May 27th. After they review the 100 interviewees and decide on 25 applicants to send acceptances to, those names will be presented to the full adcom. We were told to expect to hear something the first week of June. Good luck everyone!

I was told several times that they only interview about 60 applicants, i doubt they would change that considering the time restraints.

I was told several times that they only interview about 60 applicants, i doubt they would change that considering the time restraints.

That's what we all thought too. You could hear all of our stomachs drop when she said 100. I just hope that the question was misunderstood.

That's what we all thought too. You could hear all of our stomachs drop when she said 100. I just hope that the question was misunderstood.

Yes that must be a misunderstanding, i went through this process twice and have countless conversations with many of DPMS admissions staff members, the statistics are pretty much memorized, 100+ applicants, 25 accepted, about 5 waitlisted.
When in fact, they accepted 33 people last year and waitlisted 2.

Unless they made a big deal about it, I sincerely doubt they had the time to interview 100 people since the 1st interview this year still was mid April... but again you never know (fingers are especially crossed now:xf:) Good luck to everyone!:luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes that must be a misunderstanding, i went through this process twice and have countless conversations with many of DPMS admissions staff members, the statistics are pretty much memorized, 100+ applicants, 25 accepted, about 5 waitlisted.
When in fact, they accepted 33 people last year and waitlisted 2.

Unless they made a big deal about it, I sincerely doubt they had the time to interview 100 people since the 1st interview this year still was mid April... but again you never know (fingers are especially crossed now:xf:) Good luck to everyone!:luck::luck::luck:
For everyone that interviewed, how many people interviewed with you?? My day only had 7 so considering there was prob. only 7-10 days of interviews, that would put the total right around 60 if the other days had about the same number of people....

There were about 8 at my interview. how did your interviews go? who was your interviewer?

I interviewed on May 6 and there were only 4 in my interview group.

There were about 8 at my interview. how did your interviews go? who was your interviewer?

I think the interview went well. I interviewed with dr. Wagner and he was a very nice guy. He didn't ask any very hard questions.

I think the interview went well. I interviewed with dr. Wagner and he was a very nice guy. He didn't ask any very hard questions.
I also had Dr. Wagner. Although i thought the interview went great, i'm not sure if he liked me...he didnt give much feedback.

I feel so nervous..Anyone who has already interviewed: any idea of what kinds of questions were asked? were they blind questions just trying to get to know the interviewee? were they based off of your application? or were they knowledge based questions???

goodluck everyone!!! :):luck::xf:

I feel so nervous..Anyone who has already interviewed: any idea of what kinds of questions were asked? were they blind questions just trying to get to know the interviewee? were they based off of your application? or were they knowledge based questions???

goodluck everyone!!! :):luck::xf:

All my questions were from my application. I advice you to have explanations for any weaknesses in your academic records, know the details of your research/volunteer projects, masters program, etc. My interview was about an hour (30 minutes of answering her questions and the rest was me asking my questions). I think my interview ran longer because I was the last one to be interviewed so I was constrained by time to ask my questions.

Hope this helps :)

so i compiled a list of interview dates ( why? umm cuz i'm bored/curious lol)

1. April 20
2. April 22
3. April 26
4. April 27
5. May 4th
6. May 6th
7. May 18th
8. May 25th

am I missing some? I really hope may 25th is last day so they can wrap it up....buena suerte :xf:

so i compiled a list of interview dates ( why? umm cuz i'm bored/curious lol)

1. April 20
2. April 22
3. April 26
4. April 27
5. May 4th
6. May 6th
7. May 18th
8. May 25th

am I missing some? I really hope may 25th is last day so they can wrap it up....buena suerte :xf:

May 20th

Does anyone remember what dorms Dr. Rodriguez said they would be housing DPMSers for the summer. I know he said it was one of the newer ones but I cannot remember the name.

Last edited:
Ha, don't mean to sound too picky, but they send acceptances through mail correct? Not email? And, for those who went through the program before, was the letter a thick one in a packet, or a little envelope? Ha picky I know, just trying to brace myself for whatever happens good or bad. The Suspense is truly killing me!

They send the acceptance through email and than a couple days later you'll get stuff in the mail for your immunizations and financial aid.

You guys are lucky this year because you'll be staying in the new dorm, I can't remember the name. We had to stay in meyers and it was disgusting and after much complaining they finally changed it for this incoming class. It's really nice they just completed it late last year. It's around 33rd and Martket for anyone who is familiar with Philly.

I know they prob said the accept 25 but they accepted 29 last yr so there are prob more slots than you think.

I know it sucks waiting, we're going through the same thing waiting to get our mcat scores which come in tommorrow. It's def better to come into the program with the mcat so you don't have to wait to know whether or not u'll matriculate as soon as classes are done. Most of the class got the 3.0 so the mcat is the only thing that many are waiting on. Good luck to all who interviewed!

Ha, don't mean to sound too picky, but they send acceptances through mail correct? Not email? And, for those who went through the program before, was the letter a thick one in a packet, or a little envelope? Ha picky I know, just trying to brace myself for whatever happens good or bad. The Suspense is truly killing me!

Thanks for the feedback nkb115 and good luck! :xf:You'll be first year med student before you know it :D

Just had my interview today. Today was the last day of interviews and they said that they are trying to let everyone know their decision by the end of next week at the latest. It was also mentioned that over 200 people applied this year but, no one could summon the courage to ask how many people were interviewed. Based on what the DPMSters said I would say roughly 65-70. Let's keep our fingers crossed for acceptances and fast mail. :luck::)

Just had my interview today. Today was the last day of interviews and they said that they are trying to let everyone know their decision by the end of next week at the latest. It was also mentioned that over 200 people applied this year but, no one could summon the courage to ask how many people were interviewed. Based on what the DPMSters said I would say roughly 65-70. Let's keep our fingers crossed for acceptances and fast mail. :luck::)
Great! How many people were at your interview SmithGrad?

There were a total of 8, 2 guys and 6 girls. The DPMSters said that their class had tons more women than men but, that last year they evened that out a bit more.

Does anyone know how many DPMS students were accepted to DUSOM in 2009 and 2010?

The woman said that 74% matriculated but, this doesn't include those who may have done a second year or those who matriculated to other medical schools. The DPMSters said that they only know of 2 in their year who did not matriculate because their grades weren't high enough.:(

Hello future doctors. I just finished my DPMS year.

I think this may be the second post I've ever posted so I better make this one count. I feel that the students a year ahead of us (The former DPMS students who will be going into their M2 year) were always there for us and provided such a great system of support (especially when we felt like we were in a pitch black room looking for the knob to the exit door). So here's a reference guide to what may be a make or break year, but every single one of you can be a doctor, so listen up:

1) Don't be afraid to interact with your peers...they're gonna be there on the floor with you one day, it isn't a competition, it's a collaboration. Plus having study groups help more than you may think, they provide for different perspectives and can help you see things under a completely new light.

2) Learn what works best for you. They tell you at the beginning of the year that if you "once used notecards, you won't have time to do that this year." True there is almost zero time to even find a bite to eat or a bathroom break but if something works for you, STICK TO IT! Thats what the summer is for: Finding studying tactics that work. Whether its using different color highlighters, studying on your own for a while then talking about the subject in a larger group, using white boards, using sticky tabs, taking your own notes, or using jellybeans to help you memorize the pathway to the Electron Transport Chain (yeah get ready for that bad boy again...it comes back with vengence. but you can all handle it!) Moral of the story, be the most efficient student you can be. Easier said...

3) Email professors, talk to former DPMSers (who will be more than happy to answer your questions, yes yes including me.), and even the coordinators (although Dr. Walker may just tell you "not to worry about it"... I'm sure you'll know when it's time to "start worrying" about it). No question is too dumb to ask and in fact there's a good chance someone else has the same question but is too scared to ask it. Professors are generally pretty good at responding. On that subject, utilize the tutoring program there. ITS FREEEEE. all you have to do is schedule some time and you can ask them your academic inquiries.

4) Try not to burn out so much. Yes we've all been there where we are biting our nails and pulling our hair or drinking that third cup of coffee debating whether sleep is even really that important. Take care of your work, but if you can take a ten minute break here or there, please do so. It'll keep you sane, it will freshen you up, and will get you away from studying for a little while. I personally go with the old PLAYSTATION 3 (call of duty) technique. If you don't give your brain a moment to recover, its not going to allow that information to stick. If you don't believe me, just wait until you start in the summer. Once you start learning all that stuff during the summer you're going to want to take naps every 2 hours...your brain is trying to find time to recover and input new information (just think of how often a new born sleeps...its like super stimulation). So give it a break, that book isn't going anyway, but your sanity might. Which brings me to my next point...DON'T FORGET TO HAVE FUN. once your series of tests are over...go out, make friends, have a drink (omg I'm condoning alcohol. hell yes i am! you're all adults now, its all about balance).

...i just noticed all these emoticons on my screen. they're kinda freaking me out...ok onward.

5) Find things to keep you motivated. Every single one of you has their own reason to pursue medicine, but I always found it helpful to find a couple extra ones. Think of your future patients, what you're parents have done to help you get this far, think of how this is going to finally fulfill you, heck write the words "Dr. (insert name)" at the top of your tests or notes to remember why you are doing this. All I'm saying is that there will be times where you are going to want to give up. Stick it out, there are people who are going through a very similar experience, you are NOT alone. Talk to friend. They are always good at pointing out your good qualities :thumbup:

6) Lastly make SOME kind of schedule. Most times the DPMS schedule is slow at updating, so you may have to check the IMS schedule, but if you set aside time on Sunday night for your weekly endeavors, it can help massively! I'm not saying be meticulous, I'm not a particularly organized person, but it really helps to have an idea of what you want to get accomplished and the upcoming events for the week.

Med school isn't necessarily for smart people, it's for hard workers and I know you are all going to work your ischial tuberosities off. So if you guys are fortunate enough to be given an opportunity, don't take it for granted, and put your heart and soul into it (this is only your dream job...). And for those who aren't fortunate, don't give up, stay dedicated, there is are soooooo many ways for you to become a doctor and a plethra of people who have faith in you (and if you don't believe you have people supporting you, at least you know you always have one, me).

Can't wait to see you all in white coats one day. Don't stop pushing, this life is all we have and we must make the most out of every opportunity. Good luck.

- C.

Reactions: 1 users
In 2009 14 of 17 matriculated. We don't know how many ppl made it from our class yet because mcat scores just came in. If you're in the bubble (off by a point or 2 in or missed gpa by a 10th of a pt) you don't find out if you're in until around the middle of June.

Does anyone know how many DPMS students were accepted to DUSOM in 2009 and 2010?

nkb, so if your MCAT is off by 1 point in one subject, say like physical sciences, or if your GPA is just at like a 2.9 at the end of the year, is there a GREATER probability of NOT matriculating? Or would you still have a pretty good shot at getting in? Just didn't know how stickler to the rules that they may be.

MOre bad news for me....just got a rejection from DPMS.....just wanted to let u guys know that decisions are being sent out now....

This totally sucks...i really dunno wats wrong w/my app...IMS it is for me then....

Again, g'luck to rest:thumbup:

hey congrats on the IMS, it is still a good program! I am still waiting on my dpms decision and im getting overwhelmed. I interviewd back on april 20. Keep ur head up and if i get into the program, I hope IMS and DPMS students can get together and form an MCAT study group! Best wishes!

It really depends on each individual situation. If you have a 2.95 and a 25 mcat they would probably let you in, but it's not a guarentee. Last year only 4 or 5 ppl made it on contract. Most of the ppl were off by a pt on mcat and had the gpa. Both are important but you have a better chance of matriculating if you have the gpa and miss mcat by a point than if you have mcat and miss the gpa.

nkb, so if your MCAT is off by 1 point in one subject, say like physical sciences, or if your GPA is just at like a 2.9 at the end of the year, is there a GREATER probability of NOT matriculating? Or would you still have a pretty good shot at getting in? Just didn't know how stickler to the rules that they may be.

Hi. I've been reading all the posts. There's some wonderful energy and enthusiasm going on about the upcoming dpms year. That's wonderful. Everyone that's been accepted, congratulations. You will come to find it's much different than you can imagine...but that's not to scare you. Qwerty stated it well so not reiterations there on my part. Congrats to those who were accepted into ims as well. It's a tough tract...but well worth in upping your stats if you do well and take it seriously.

So, I'm here to off you guys & girls a contact. I went through dpms...now proceding onto my 3rd year in med school. Studying for boards right now as I'm typing and this is my little study break. If you have any Qs, ANY at all, ANY thoughts, concerns, etc... I'm here. Just ask. It's nice to have point people to come to, get a different perspective, a pep talk, someone to show you were the light is if you feel lost, and someone to help you out w/ resources. Anyone that's interested.... Send me a line or 2. I'll give you my contact info and help you out/advise you w/ what may be very helpful to you all. In the meantime, enjoy your break before dpms starts. Have a positive outlook on it (even though you are giving up your summer) and realize that if you have a spot, you are currently holding a GOLDEN TICKET to medical school and that is no light matter. It's up to you to make sure you don't lose that ticket along the way :)

Best of luck... enjoy and relax, pretty soon you will be full fledged studying so don't do any right now.
jmg

Hello Everyone!!!
I have a quick question for the former DPMS students. I currently live in FL and I feel kind of uneasy about the big move to Philadelphia although I am excited about the opportunity that DPMS offers and will move in a heartbeat if I am accepted. However I am concerned about the cost off living there. I was wondering if you guys felt that the financial aid package that you were awarded was sufficient to foot all your living expenses or did you often have to ask your parents or take extra loans to make ends meet?e Additionally, I was wondering are loans the primary way to finance this program or do they offer grants? Lastly, when are moneys disbursed during the program? This will give me an idea of how to budget for the upcoming academic year. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Thanks for asking a lot of questions I also had. Did you interview on the 21st?

Hello Everyone!!!
I have a quick question for the former DPMS students. I currently live in FL and I feel kind of uneasy about the big move to Philadelphia although I am excited about the opportunity that DPMS offers and will move in a heartbeat if I am accepted. However I am concerned about the cost off living there. I was wondering if you guys felt that the financial aid package that you were awarded was sufficient to foot all your living expenses or did you often have to ask your parents or take extra loans to make ends meet?e Additionally, I was wondering are loans the primary way to finance this program or do they offer grants? Lastly, when are moneys disbursed during the program? This will give me an idea of how to budget for the upcoming academic year. Thank you so much for your help!!!

I actually interviewed on May 4th but they didn't really say nothing about financial aid at all....

Most students pay for dpms with loans unless their parents are able to pay for it, which is a select minority. The financial aid office wil package you and that includes living expenses. They allot for housing, food, books, health ins and misc. My personal total loan amout for tuition and for living for the entire yr was around 49,000. 25,000 was for tuition and the rest living expenses. Since no one can work you need to budegt your money until the following august which is when you would get another yr of loan money. They also give you a 3000 insitiutional loan in June to help you get through the summer and until you get your loan money.

I would suggest that you come into the program with a little money because meals are not provided during the summer so you will have to buy food everyday. Also remember that if you're going to be living in Queen Lane during the summer (thats what I did), you'll need to have 1st, last and security to get an apt. I know last summer it was a bit of a problem for some people because the financial aid checks that we live on came late so it was difficult to get apts.

Hello Everyone!!!

Loans are the primary way that the majority of people pay for the program. The first loan disbursement is suppose to be around the end of July but many people didn't get it until Aug. The first disbursement was around 11,000 and the second is in January for about the same.

Hello Everyone!!!

Hopefully we'll know our fate by the end of this week :xf::xf: Also, to all those that interviewed but already know that they are going somewhere else ( gems program, medprep, got off med school waitlist, other program,etc) please let the committee know so one of us can have a better chance :) Good Luck! :luck:

Yes! please let the committee know. I am so anxious right now! Can't wait to hear back :xf:Good luck everyone:luck:

Yes! please let the committee know. I am so anxious right now! Can't wait to hear back :xf:Good luck everyone:luck:
If you have gotten in somewhere else and are withdrawing yourself from dpms consideration, could you let us know on here?
thanks!

Someone at the office told me we should hear back by the end of next week!!!