Drexel DPMS 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much is the taxi ride from PHL to the medical campus ? And how long is it?
It took me about 30-35 minutes. Different taxi services charge you different rates; you should call them and check: http://www.phl.org/ground_transportation.html#taxi.
There is metro, too (but I'm not familiar with that) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know how many applicants they usually interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have been through the process, what was the interview like? What did you do prepare for the interview?

They look at all applications as long as they receive them (and all additional materials) by May 15th. You could definitely call to ask, but because Dr. Walker is hardly ever at her desk, u should press the option that says "if you have questions about MSP" I think option 1. This is the person that puts the applications together for Dr Walker who then reviews them and either sends a rejection email or forwards it to the committee for additional review. But you probably won't get the card, they do it by email now.

I actually received two cards; the first showing they needed one more transcript and the second saying my application is complete.
How long did it take everyone after they were complete to go to comittee or be rejected and are we notified if we are being sent to comittee?

Does anyone know if DPMS students entering M1 year are eligible for scholarships and/or grants? If yes, what are the qualifications?

So I got rejected from the program. Sadness.

Last edited:
O
So I got rejected from the program. Sadness. But I sent an email asking for weaknesses in my application and how I can become a better applicant. Here is the reply:

"At this time your profile does not add to the diversity that the medical school is attempting to satisfy. The medical school as referred your application to the IMS program based on your MCAT scores."

Does that mean what I think it means?

sorry to hear that... but what is your mcat score?

28O (10-9-O-9). Hopefully that is able to get me into the IMS this late.

Does anyone know if DPMS students entering M1 year are eligible for scholarships and/or grants? If yes, what are the qualifications?

I'm curious about this also. Are they eligible for the Army and Navy scholarships as well?

Received and interview!!! 38P, economically disadvantaged, 2.7 Undergrad GPA and 3.4 GPA in my MS program. Does anyone know if the link to schedule an interview is immediately posted to your application page or if there is some sort of lag?

Received and interview!!! 38P, economically disadvantaged, 2.7 Undergrad GPA and 3.4 GPA in my MS program. Does anyone know if the link to schedule an interview is immediately posted to your application page or if there is some sort of lag?
WOW at your MCAT :D :thumbup:
I was invited for an interview by email. They gave me flexible dates and I replied with my preferred date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks,

I'm wondering how detrimental this is. My application wasn't completed for about a week since the school was waiting on official documents. The problem is that I sent them ahead of time since the amount of time it take for those things to be sent/arrive were variable, but they weren't matched up until I called a bunch of times.

So as of now, my application was only completed late last week. Any idea on when I should be hearing from them and if this is going to put me out of the running, so to speak?

WOW at your MCAT :D :thumbup:
I was invited for an interview by email. They gave me flexible dates and I replied with my preferred date.
Thanks. I saw the update on my status page on their site...praying it wasn't some sort of computer glitch

Question to former DPMSers: In your opinions, what are the cons of the program?

So as of now, my application was only completed late last week. Any idea on when I should be hearing from them and if this is going to put me out of the running, so to speak?
The deadline is May 14th.
They will mail out decisions by May 31st.
The program will start in the 3rd week of June. They'll give accepted applicants 2 weeks to decide whether to enroll.

Some questions posted:

How many people do they actually interview? around 60

Are DPMS M1's eligible for armed forces grants and other scholarships? Yes, you apply for finaid just like everyone else and are considered for all grants and scholarships if you apply to them.

I sent in my materials late or I havent been contacted yet, should I worry? People were called for interviews as late as 3 weeks before the program started last year so not really.

To the dude with the 38P, that is a sick score man. Congrats. But, warning, when you're in immuno you'll wish you were dead so be ready :laugh:

Some questions posted:

Are DPMS M1's eligible for armed forces grants and other scholarships? Yes, you apply for finaid just like everyone else and are considered for all grants and scholarships if you apply to them.

I sent in my materials late or I havent been contacted yet, should I worry? People were called for interviews as late as 3 weeks before the program started last year so not really.

To the dude with the 38P, that is a sick score man. Congrats. But, warning, when you're in immuno you'll wish you were dead so be ready :laugh:

Thanks for response!

Some questions posted:

Haha thanks man! Got the official email and scheduled my interview for the 18th. Anyone else going that day? I have never taken any immuno so I am sure it will kick my ***** if I get in.

Haha thanks man! Got the official email and scheduled my interview for the 18th. Anyone else going that day? I have never taken any immuno so I am sure it will kick my ***** if I get in.
I'll see you on the 18th. Are you from the area or are you flying in? I'm in the process of making flight and hotel reservations.

Just got an interview for the 18th. Looking forward to an acceptance and meeting you peoples....

--coincidence is an artifact of good planning.

For those guys who just had an interview yesterday, how was it?

Did anyones interviewer ask them why they felt they were qualified for the DPMS program?

I was wondering if anyone knows how they decide who gets interviewed? Is it simply everyone they decide meet requirements for the program or does it go further than that?

I was wondering if anyone knows how they decide who gets interviewed? Is it simply everyone they decide meet requirements for the program or does it go further than that?

It's like a normal med school admissions where they primarily are interested in your ability to succeed in med school and, secondarily, your background... except that DPMS is looking for folks who are soc-econ. disadvantaged.

Howdy yall,

I'm planning on interviewing next week. Does anyone have any interview specific advice? Good luck to all............

So I didn't find out about this program until way late. My application was turned in a week ago. I checked both DPMS and MSP on the application, but the MSP program called today to offer an interview. Yesterday I checked and they were still missing one transcript (sent out: April 29th). Yet, somehow I received MSP interview...
So I have many questions: Does that mean I am no longer being considered for the DPMS program? Or can I interview for both? Will they let me know via email if I am rejected? Anyone know if the 5/18 date is the last interview slot for DPMS? I don't want to ask the MSP program. My reasoning: perhaps they will assume I am not interested in their program if I ask. Fact: I am interested in both, but the DPMS program more so than the MSP. Is the MSP of value? PA is a big move to make from CA so I do not want to make a poor decision. Please respond. I am worried. I had my eyes set on DPMS :confused: I know I asked a lot, but that was me being modest :D

Yet, somehow I received MSP interview...
So I have many questions: Does that mean I am no longer being considered for the DPMS program?
Yes, it means that you're now being considered ONLY for MSP program.

Fact: I am interested in both, but the DPMS program more so than the MSP. Is the MSP of value?
MSP does not offer you conditional acceptance of any sort; that means you will have to go through another application cycle if you do MSP.

Has anyone stayed at the Moving Arts and Bed Respite or the Student Guest House? Any thoughts, recommendations, or concerns you'd like to share about either one?
Thanks in advance.

hello, how do you like the program and do you feel that it is beneficial towards ur future medical school goals? I was recently granted an interview at Drexel.....do you have any tips?

Has anyone stayed at the Moving Arts and Bed Respite or the Student Guest House? Any thoughts, recommendations, or concerns you'd like to share about either one?
Thanks in advance.
I was staying at Moving Arts Bed and Respite on Greene Street.
- The place was VERY old and a bit dirty.
- No meal was provided.
- There were soap & towels, but no shampoo.
- The hairdryer was so old it hardly worked :D
- You can get a free ride to Drexel on the interview day.
- Airport pickup is $40/trip. You can split the cost if you find someone to share the ride.

That's all I want to say :D

Any news anybody? Just a question, if your application is under adcom review, do you just wait for an e-mail or call them? I am just so impatient...

Is there anyone out there that has already completed the DPMS program? can you please tell me some pro and cons of this program and the important benefits also the difficulty of the curriculm!:)

Any news anybody? Just a question, if your application is under adcom review, do you just wait for an e-mail or call them? I am just so impatient...

Your best bet is waiting for that email man. It will come.

Also to everybody waiting on an acceptance: you need to have a $500 deposit and your immunization records ready by early June when orientation starts. Having these ready on such short notice is a pain so a head start is recommended. Remember, for the immunizations you need to have up to date your PPD, meningitis and Diptheria shots (standard college stuff).

Well, our DPMS year is officially over and I just wanted to say to all you hopefuls that this has been the longest and yet most fulfilling year of my life.:D You have alot to look forward to folks.

Your best bet is waiting for that email man. It will come.

Also to everybody waiting on an acceptance: you need to have a $500 deposit and your immunization records ready by early June when orientation starts. Having these ready on such short notice is a pain so a head start is recommended. Remember, for the immunizations you need to have up to date your PPD, meningitis and Diptheria shots (standard college stuff).

Well, our DPMS year is officially over and I just wanted to say to all you hopefuls that this has been the longest and yet most fulfilling year of my life.:D You have alot to look forward to folks.

Ok, I guess I'll just wait for that email...
Cornflakes, I assume now you about in med school ?!? If so, congratulations!!!

Yes, it means that you're now being considered ONLY for MSP program.

MSP does not offer you conditional acceptance of any sort; that means you will have to go through another application cycle if you do MSP.

I talked to Dr. Walker and she said that my app had been sent to adcom and is currently under review. I applied to both programs, not just DPMS so she said MSP is faster at getting back. Just thought I would update this reply for anyone else who applied to both. All hope is not lost :D

My bad missed this one. Correct Hart. Being considered for IMS or MSP does not exclude you from the DPMS running.

....and thanks Belochka. The majority of the class did very well too so now they're waiting for their MCATs to roll in.

I talked to Dr. Walker and she said that my app had been sent to adcom and is currently under review. I applied to both programs, not just DPMS so she said MSP is faster at getting back. Just thought I would update this reply for anyone else who applied to both. All hope is not lost :D

For you guys who interviewed, did they give you an exact day for the six week summer term start?

Hi BeautifulKay 87,
If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them. I just completed dpms. Otherwise if you scroll back through this thread on pages 2-4 we've answered alot of the general questions about the program. If you have anything in particular you would like to know, let me know.

Is there anyone out there that has already completed the DPMS program? can you please tell me some pro and cons of this program and the important benefits also the difficulty of the curriculm!:)

I was staying at Moving Arts Bed and Respite on Greene Street.
- The place was VERY old and a bit dirty.
- No meal was provided.
- There were soap & towels, but no shampoo.
- The hairdryer was so old it hardly worked :D
- You can get a free ride to Drexel on the interview day.
- Airport pickup is $40/trip. You can split the cost if you find someone to share the ride.

That's all I want to say :D

Thanks for sharing! That's the kind of info I wanted to know.

Rejected... quite disappointing... sad. But I don't give up. They offered me to apply for MAP program, but I am not sure if I want to spent all these money for just MCAT preparation.I will probably just study on my own.

Rejected... quite disappointing... sad. But I don't give up. They offered me to apply for MAP program, but I am not sure if I want to spent all these money for just MCAT preparation.I will probably just study on my own.
Did you interview and get rejected or was this pre-interview rejection?

Did you receive any feedback as to why you were rejected?

I will be calling them tomorrow. I am really curious. I thought I had a pretty good chance at least to be selected for an interview. But I am sure that everybody who applied thought that way... I will let you know about the reason if I get an answer.

hey did u get interview yet? I interviewed on april 20,2010 and it was awesome. i liked the campus and the faculty as well as the students. still waiting to hear back from them...kind of anxious by now :/