Drexel DPMS 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aquanaut

Optimist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any early birds out there applied yet?

I'm paying the program a visit during one of its Info sessions, mine's on Sun, October 11.

Let me know if you'll be there! :D

Ps. They waive the app fee if you hand in the app then!

Members don't see this ad.

I was strongly considering applying to this program but I won't have my grades ready from spring semester until the second or third week of May which is after the application deadline.

I need that last semester too because my AMCAS science gpa is somewhat low because of three retakes. That is definitely my least favorite med school (allopathic) application policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you considering attending any of their info sessions though?

@Coat0023, I think you should still apply. We are our worst critics.
I would say let them rule you out, don't do it for them. :)

Because I am white will I not be considered for this program?

Because I am white will I not be considered for this program?

No, this program is also directed toward those that are economically disadvantaged. I myself am I a white male so I am obviously not an under represented minority but I would definitely consider myself economically disadvantaged.

Did you come from a single parent family? Was your family on government assistance? Etc. etc.

I know that these previous conditions apply to me and we were in fact living out of a car for awhile.

I think it really comes down to having a legitimate reason to be considered under represented in health care, not just minority status. I could be wrong, however, so don't quote me but if you have a real honest reason to apply to this program I think you should.

Just don't be a douche bag and lie.

No, this program is also directed toward those that are economically disadvantaged. I myself am I a white male so I am obviously not an under represented minority but I would definitely consider myself economically disadvantaged.

Did you come from a single parent family? Was your family on government assistance? Etc. etc.

I know that these previous conditions apply to me and we were in fact living out of a car for awhile.

I think it really comes down to having a legitimate reason to be considered under represented in health care, not just minority status. I could be wrong, however, so don't quote me but if you have a real honest reason to apply to this program I think you should.

Just don't be a douche bag and lie.

Well I was working 2 jobs to pay for college because my parents wouldnt....would that qualify?

im confused on how to apply for this program.. it doesnt quite say on the site..atleast i dont see anything other than the program info..

Why don't you just call the contact number on their website if your confused about whether or not you eligible or if you have any questions applying.

whats the application deadline? If you arent economically disadvantaged are your chances significantly reduced?

whats the application deadline? If you arent economically disadvantaged are your chances significantly reduced?

Well this program is for underrepresented minorities or those that consider themselves economically disadvantaged. If you fall under neither of these then your chances are pretty much zero.

i'm planning to apply this March too! I need motivation though because the applicaton, letter of recomm. so much stuff... I think it's better to apply to other programs too, to increase the probability!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I'm currently in the DPMS program right now so let me know if you have any questions that I can answer for you.

Are you familiar with how they view non-traditional students. Meaning they've taken the minimum pre-requisites but are not exactly the "pre-med" profile. Also, how do you like the program? :) Are your classes live or are they video conferenced?

Hi Everyone, I'm currently in DPMS too so let me know if you have questions. I'm going to respond to a few comments I've seen on here. Some of our classes are live and some are video conference style. Non-traditional students aren't viewed any differently than traditional students. Just make sure you do all the req. and you'll be fine. As far as being white...you def. can be white and apply, we've had former DPMS students that have been white HOWEVER you need to be economically disadvantaged. I dont why ppl make this term complicated because it's not. If I were to ask you if you grew up poor, then you're response should be yes if you are trying to apply as an economically disadvantaged student. I hope this helps.

Hi Everyone, I'm currently in DPMS too so let me know if you have questions. I'm going to respond to a few comments I've seen on here. Some of our classes are live and some are video conference style. Non-traditional students aren't viewed any differently than traditional students. Just make sure you do all the req. and you'll be fine. As far as being white...you def. can be white and apply, we've had former DPMS students that have been white HOWEVER you need to be economically disadvantaged. I dont why ppl make this term complicated because it's not. If I were to ask you if you grew up poor, then you're response should be yes if you are trying to apply as an economically disadvantaged student. I hope this helps.

First off thanks for the info! I'm taking the MCAT this JAN and I'm planing to apply for DPMS this March. I was wondering if you could tell us how you decided to apply to this progam and when you applyed? Did you consider other programs, if any, would you mind sharing? THanks!!

Last edited:
I decided to apply to DPMS because I wanted to bypass the traditional medical school process. I knew that my stats were not competitive enough to be a strong candidate at an allopathic school, so I never applied to medical school. I applied to DPMS in mid april, but I had all my transcipts, letters of rec., etc sent before then because I knew they would take awhile to get. Honestly it doesnt matter how early you apply, as long as you send in everything (and confirm everything got there) my the deadline. The adcom dont make any decisions about the final class until everyone is interviewed. I also applied to UCSF, UCI, UCSD post bacs as back up since I'm from California. If you apply to DPMS I highly recommend you apply to other post bacs that give you a seat in their med school upon successful completion of the program, like Georgtown GEMS, Wake Forest, etc.

Do you guys know how you pay for this program? Is it loans only? Seeing that a large portion of the students are economically disadvantaged, shouldn't they receive financial aid in grants?

Also, does anyone know what happens after you complete the program and begin as M1, if you have to re-take all the courses you took in the DPMS program?

Thanks Ethiopian Queen for your inside info.

One question that I had off the top of my head was abt the Track I / Track II thing. Is it clear cut that if you don't score a V7 P8 B8 you'll be Track I or does GPA & Clinical experience factor in the decision?
Also, you're provided housing for the Summer session it says, bt what's available and how much is it rentwise once you move out?

Feel free to chime in anyone. :p

I'm getting my packet ready to send off by 12/4/09. I just hope I'm not too early.

Just wanted to answer some questions that I saw posted...Most of the people in the program have to take out loans to cover tuition and living expanses just like any other grad program. Tuition this yr was roughly around 24,000 and then you have to take into consideration your living expenses. This year during the summer we were given a 3000 institutional loan that was not credit based to help with our expenses. It is very expensive but well worth it to get into medical school.

The medical school classes that we take are biochem, physio and immuno if you are in tract 2. (Tract 2 means you have the mcat score needed so you don't have to take it again). If you matriculate you can test out of those classes but it is advised that you don't do that because when it's time to take the boards you wouldn't have seen any of that infor for a long time, plus you can do really well in the classes and get honors, which looks good when you're applying to get a residency.

It's never too soon to get you application in, but unfortunately you still will have to wait a while before you get an interview and hear if you get accepted. This yr we were notified of being accepted roughly a wk before we needed to be in Philly, which of course did not give us much time. The summer portion started for us on June 15th.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Just wanted to answer some questions that I saw posted...Most of the people in the program have to take out loans to cover tuition and living expanses just like any other grad program. Tuition this yr was roughly around 24,000 and then you have to take into consideration your living expenses. This year during the summer we were given a 3000 institutional loan that was not credit based to help with our expenses. It is very expensive but well worth it to get into medical school.

The medical school classes that we take are biochem, physio and immuno if you are in tract 2. (Tract 2 means you have the mcat score needed so you don't have to take it again). If you matriculate you can test out of those classes but it is advised that you don't do that because when it's time to take the boards you wouldn't have seen any of that infor for a long time, plus you can do really well in the classes and get honors, which looks good when you're applying to get a residency.

It's never too soon to get you application in, but unfortunately you still will have to wait a while before you get an interview and hear if you get accepted. This yr we were notified of being accepted roughly a wk before we needed to be in Philly, which of course did not give us much time. The summer portion started for us on June 15th.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

When was your application complete and when did you interview? Also, how many students are in the program? It says that there's 25, so does that mean that about half are in track 1 and the other half in track 2?

When was your application complete and when did you interview? Also, how many students are in the program? It says that there's 25, so does that mean that about half are in track 1 and the other half in track 2?

I mailed my application at the end of Feb and I interviewed on May 9th. This year there are 29 students and only 4 students are doing track 2.

To those who are currently in the program and are gracious enough to be posting on this thread, I have a few questions.

For you to maintain your seat in the next year's M1 class you need a 3.0 postbacGPA they state, how difficult is it to make that grade?
And if i'm not wrong, a B is determined by the current M1's test average so does that make it more difficult as the value for a B might flactuate considerably?
Thanks in advance.

To those who are currently in the program and are gracious enough to be posting on this thread, I have a few questions.

For you to maintain your seat in the next year's M1 class you need a 3.0 postbacGPA they state, how difficult is it to make that grade?
And if i'm not wrong, a B is determined by the current M1's test average so does that make it more difficult as the value for a B might flactuate considerably?
Thanks in advance.

Current DPMS here. Yes, a 3.0 or B is determined by the M1's average on each test and, yes, it fluctuates but not greatly. For example, sometimes a B will be an 86 or an 83. That being said, you can imagine that earning an 83 on a medical level exam is not easy so be ready to put in some serious hours. So how do you succeed? Your goal is to stay at a decent level above the mean (aka 87+) as much as possible to create a buffer zone for the occassional hiccup (aka a <80) here and there.

You will hear from various sources that roughly 40% of the class does not successfully matriculate into DUCOM but do not be discouraged by this number. Simply put, you put in the work and you'll succeed. The summer enrichment program will give you an idea of what "work" means.

Good luck and I wish you all the best. This is a great program for very special people. Hope to see you among us next year.:thumbup:

I am interested in applying for this program however, I have a 2.6 science gpa. I know that it says a 2.90 is needed for undergraduate overall and science/math gpa. So should I not bother applying? Or still apply and wait until they see my spring grades or will that be too late? Thanks!

I am interested in applying for this program however, I have a 2.6 science gpa. I know that it says a 2.90 is needed for undergraduate overall and science/math gpa. So should I not bother applying? Or still apply and wait until they see my spring grades or will that be too late? Thanks!

Are you in the Philadelphia area? If you are I would suggest going to the open house and speaking to Dr. Walker if you think that your spring grades will raise your gpa to what is required. The program is very competitive and with only 25-30 spots available for over 250 applicants you have to stand out. Your acceptance ultimately comes from the College of Medicine so your gpa is very important.

8 biological, 8 physical, 7 verbal and M on the writing section and it has to be in that distribution.
thank u.. i have atleast those number sin each sections..however just like a previous poster my bcpm gpa is around 2.6.. should i not even bother applying to this program?

thank u.. i have atleast those number sin each sections..however just like a previous poster my bcpm gpa is around 2.6.. should i not even bother applying to this program?

As nkb said, the program is very competitive and the requirements are as posted. If you have a low GPA you really need a good reason for it and compensating with a strong MCAT (>=30) is highly recommended, IMO...but even if you dont fit this profile, dont disqualify yourself by not even applying. At least give yourself a shot and let them decide for themselves whether or not to disqualify you.

As nkb said, the program is very competitive and the requirements are as posted. If you have a low GPA you really need a good reason for it and compensating with a strong MCAT (>=30) is highly recommended, IMO...but even if you dont fit this profile, dont disqualify yourself by not even applying. At least give yourself a shot and let them decide for themselves whether or not to disqualify you.

thanx for the response.. i have a decently strong mcat.. well i will apply.. i wonder why they are so stringent on the gpa.. but lenient on mcat.. relatively speaking that is.. 2.9 is by no means stringent.. but i think that a 29+ mcat is worth more than a 2.9 gpa.. seems to me if they only require a 20mcat.. they should lower that gpa requirement.. or maybe they believe gpa is a better predictor of success vs. mcat score.. who knows.. ill go ahead and play the cards

..or maybe they believe gpa is a better predictor of success vs. mcat score.. who knows.. ill go ahead and play the cards
Word on the street is usually that the MCAT is a better predictor of how a student will do on the shelf exams i.e. USMLEs
But I know for a fact that a strong GPA is a show of commitment.

Here's a scenario. Ask yourself, if an MCAT or GPA was required, not both, If you were an Admissions person would you?
Pick a kid with a 3.75 GPA from 110+ credits or a kid with a 30 on the MCAT?

I would like to think you'd go for the kid with the most promise and go for the GPA.
But what do I know? :rolleyes:

Word on the street is usually that the MCAT is a better predictor of how a student will do on the shelf exams i.e. USMLEs
But I know for a fact that a strong GPA is a show of commitment.

Here's a scenario. Ask yourself, if an MCAT or GPA was required, not both, If you were an Admissions person would you?
Pick a kid with a 3.75 GPA from 110+ credits or a kid with a 30 on the MCAT?

I would like to think you'd go for the kid with the most promise and go for the GPA.
But what do I know? :rolleyes:

true.. i mean.. it also depends on a 3.75 from where.. i know when i went to clark atlanta.. i took 66 hrs and didnt have to think or do any hw..and made a 3.97 while working fulltime.. i went to a state school and busted my butt for a 3.4 also while working fulltime.. but took a hit on 2 sems of all science courses.. that dumped my science gpa.. i know its hard to tell how which schools are grading their courses.. but at any given rate.. i def would choose a 3.0 gpa 30 mcat at my state school vs a 3.9 gpa 20 mcat from cau... but thats only because i know the difference in difficulty .. and what the schools do to prepare students for rigorous course loads..

so overall its hard to say which would i pick.. given the circumstances..

true.. i mean.. it also depends on a 3.75 from where.. i know when i went to clark atlanta.. i took 66 hrs and didnt have to think or do any hw..and made a 3.97 while working fulltime.. i went to a state school and busted my butt for a 3.4 also while working fulltime.. but took a hit on 2 sems of all science courses.. that dumped my science gpa.. i know its hard to tell how which schools are grading their courses.. but at any given rate.. i def would choose a 3.0 gpa 30 mcat at my state school vs a 3.9 gpa 20 mcat from cau... but thats only because i know the difference in difficulty .. and what the schools do to prepare students for rigorous course loads..

Both high GPA and high MCAT say great things about the applicant so it's a toss up really.

I think the reason that the mcat is low is because the dpms course has a built in mcat course to help with mcat. They put alot of weight on the gpa because it gives them an idea of whether or not you can handle the medical school workload. Mcat is based on a one day test and your gpa is 4 yrs worth of work. Former dpmsers have stated that during the dpms yr it's more likely that you'll matriculate if you have the gpa but miss the mcat by a point, then if you get the mcat and are off on the gpa. Nevertheless both are very important.

Former dpmsers have stated that during the dpms yr it's more likely that you'll matriculate if you have the gpa but miss the mcat by a point, then if you get the mcat and are off on the gpa. Nevertheless both are very important.

Great advice! Thanks again for your input as an insider.

As it is a season for Resolutions, here's a proposal.
..Wherever we get accepted guys, be ready to bust yo' a**, for real!

Here's to a New Year! :claps:

I will be applying to this program and to the Georgetown GEMS as well... but I was wondering if anyone knew what other programs are there that are similar to these two?

I will be applying to this program and to the Georgetown GEMS as well... but I was wondering if anyone knew what other programs are there that are similar to these two?

osu medpath
wake forrest pb
siu medprep
ucla rap
msu able
indiana msms (2yrs)
ucla rap

All of these have early assurance linkages for URMs and are very reputable. I'm sure there are more out there. Dont forget D.O. pb programs.

Reactions: 1 user
osu medpath
wake forrest pb
siu medprep
ucla rap
msu able
indiana msms (2yrs)
ucla rap

All of these have early assurance linkages for URMs and are very reputable. I'm sure there are more out there. Dont forget D.O. pb programs.

Those are good but the deadline for most of them already passed... or others like the UCLA RAP are for California residents only, or the MSU ABLE is only for students that have already applied to MSU...

Does anyone know if there are still URM early assurance programs out there for which the deadline has not expired yet?

Bump...Anyone know when they start reviewing applications?

Bump...Anyone know when they start reviewing applications?

They review you application once they have received all the requirements. After reviewing your application it still takes a while for them to get back to you about interviewing. Most people in this yrs class didn't interview until March. My interview wasn't until May.

They review you application once they have received all the requirements. After reviewing your application it still takes a while for them to get back to you about interviewing. Most people in this yrs class didn't interview until March. My interview wasn't until May.

Oh okay, Thanks.

..After reviewing your application it still takes a while for them to get back to you about interviewing. Most people in this yrs class didn't interview until March.

Yeah, I received an email stating that mine was sent to the adcom for review a while back, haven't heard anything since. ..I suggest we hold tight. :p

As far as the class requirements (psychology, sociology and philosophy), does anyone know if they will accept any others in place of these?

Packet is in the mail as of Tuesday morning... Now to play the waiting game... and of course retake the MCAT in March... but no pressure... no pressure at all