A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I was recently accepted to KCOM. I know that KCOM is a small town, but is there still a night life to meet other people (single women) and mingle? Where do the undergrad girls at Truman State hang out on the weekends? (completely serious) Any nice bars and clubs?

Thanks in advance.

Most of the med students that like to go out will go to Dukum (especially after a hard block), and you'll have Truman kids in there too. There's actually an OTM table upstairs if you're feeling bold about treatments lol

I will say that before I came up here, I asked Truman grads about the night life and they said it mostly revolved around house parties, which as a KCOM student I'm not really in the loop about. But Dukum provides more than enough entertainment so I'm not bummed about that in the slightest. I'd say it's the main stop, but people occasionally trickle out to a few of the other bars.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i also got put on hold pre-interview. i don't know when they will get back to us :(
I know that feel, bro. It's been 7 days since I've heard from them after I sent them my Fall grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance at KCOM a couple of weeks ago. Best of luck, everyone! :luck:

Any thoughts on good quiet housing options, and an appropriate time of year to begin the search? A student I spoke with on interview day mentioned being asked for a commitment for renewal >6 months in advance due to interest in the property from other prospective renters. Thanks for your input/shared experience.

Any thoughts on good quiet housing options, and an appropriate time of year to begin the search? A student I spoke with on interview day mentioned being asked for a commitment for renewal >6 months in advance due to interest in the property from other prospective renters. Thanks for your input/shared experience.

Start looking now. Landlords put places on the market as early as October (when I had to resign my lease).

Most of the housing options are pretty quiet... I'm right next to campus and occasionally I get some of the riff raff from the bar crowd at closing time, but so far it's never been loud enough to be an issue.

Thanks for the input. I've been snooping online. Guess I'll head that way to see the options incarnate.

Have Feb interview invites gone out yet? Any idea how full the class is?

I was recently accepted and plan to be living off campus but most likely want to live with a roommate. What is the best way to go about finding a roommate and finding a solid place to live?

I was recently accepted and plan to be living off campus but most likely want to live with a roommate. What is the best way to go about finding a roommate and finding a solid place to live?
Admissions might be able to help you, but I'd say check the 2018 facebook page.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an invite today. The only day open was Feb 7. Not sure if this means feb interview slots are full or not.
Oh jeez man. This doesn't look good for us. Anyone know the class size at KCOM?

Congrats on getting an interview.

Last edited:
Congrats! When were you complete?

I got two different emails; one on Jan 4th that my secondary was received, and one today giving me the confirmation code to check the status of my application. So in short sounds like I was complete today, then ii today.

Anyone with great advice I have listening ears! Have an interview and am so nervous this is one of my top choice schools. This is my second year applying to schools, but first year applying to KCOM. I have average stats 26 MCAT/3.7 cGPA/3.8 sGPA. Here are my questions: what does the interview day look like? Tours? Lunch? Group interviews? Ethical questions? Current event/political questions?

Any advice at all? I'm listening (or reading) closely!

Anyone with great advice I have listening ears! Have an interview and am so nervous this is one of my top choice schools. This is my second year applying to schools, but first year applying to KCOM. I have average stats 26 MCAT/3.7 cGPA/3.8 sGPA. Here are my questions: what does the interview day look like? Tours? Lunch? Group interviews? Ethical questions? Current event/political questions?

http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/alumni_friends/ambassador_program/pdfs/alumambastrainman091708.pdf

I found a thing...

Class of 2015 was 172.... Can't find if it's remained the same since then.

Class of 2015 was 172.... Can't find if it's remained the same since then.
Still 172 for c/o 2017 so I'd imagine it's not changing. Congrats!
I'd recommend using the search on this thread for info about interview days and whatnot. Also check out the interview feedback here on SDN for an awesome resource.

Don't be nervous about the interview. The day goes by super fast and they try to make you as comfortable as possible. I had my interviews in the afternoon and by the time my interviews rolled around I was not nervous at all. All of my interviews were very conversational and the time pasted by fast. They just want to get to know who you are as a person and see if your goals fit with theirs. My advice to you is know your application because it is open file and figure out what you can bring to KCOM. Hope this helps and congrats.

Don't be nervous about the interview. The day goes by super fast and they try to make you as comfortable as possible. I had my interviews in the afternoon and by the time my interviews rolled around I was not nervous at all. All of my interviews were very conversational and the time pasted by fast. They just want to get to know who you are as a person and see if your goals fit with theirs. My advice to you is know your application because it is open file and figure out what you can bring to KCOM. Hope this helps and congrats.
thanks! Did you get an acceptance!?

I got two different emails; one on Jan 4th that my secondary was received, and one today giving me the confirmation code to check the status of my application. So in short sounds like I was complete today, then ii today.

So when you put in your confirmation code, you had the option to schedule an interview? I'm just wondering because I was complete a couple weeks before you were and called and she said I wouldn't hear til mid January.

Congrats on the interview though and good luck!

Not sure if everyone has the same interview layout, but I interviewed/was accepted a couple months ago, and not to stress you out, but I kind of disagree with the above poster(s) about the interviews. The interviewers are definitely friendly and want you to do well, and the interview day ran smoothly, but it was still one of the more stressful interview days I've had. There were 3 interviews: one was conversational/traditional, one was scenario-based, and the other one was a behavioral interview. I'd suggest that you practice for the behavioral interview if you've never had one (I hadn't).

Not sure if everyone has the same interview layout, but I interviewed/was accepted a couple months ago, and not to stress you out, but I kind of disagree with the above poster(s) about the interviews. The interviewers are definitely friendly and want you to do well, and the interview day ran smoothly, but it was still one of the more stressful interview days I've had. There were 3 interviews: one was conversational/traditional, one was scenario-based, and the other one was a behavioral interview. I'd suggest that you practice for the behavioral interview if you've never had one (I hadn't).
What on earth are you taking about? You should just do 3interviews with 3 people. 1 with admissions, 1 with a doc, 1 with a professor. They were all just straight forward interviews.

What on earth are you taking about? You should just do 3interviews with 3 people. 1 with admissions, 1 with a doc, 1 with a professor. They were all just straight forward interviews.

I did have 3 interviews with 3 people, but like I said, they were 3 different types of interviews. There's nothing wrong with that, it was just unexpected and I wasn't prepared for the more behavioral questions because all my other interviews had been more traditional (i.e. conversations about my file). My first interview was traditional, but my second interview consisted of talking through a scenario, and my third was behavioral (I.e. mostly consisting of questions not about medicine or my file). I was really impressed by the interview day and as of now I'm probably going to KCOM, but I just disagree that it's an easy or relaxing interview day (not that interviews are ever stress-free), and I think my experience would have been less stressful if I had been aware that the interviews would be more challenging/varied in style than some other schools.

I did have 3 interviews with 3 people, but like I said, they were 3 different types of interviews. There's nothing wrong with that, it was just unexpected and I wasn't prepared for the more behavioral questions because all my other interviews had been more traditional (i.e. conversations about my file). My first interview was traditional, but my second interview consisted of talking through a scenario, and my third was behavioral (I.e. mostly consisting of questions not about medicine or my file). I was really impressed by the interview day and as of now I'm probably going to KCOM, but I just disagree that it's an easy or relaxing interview day (not that interviews are ever stress-free), and I think my experience would have been less stressful if I had been aware that the interviews would be more challenging/varied in style than some other schools.

The interview should be at least a little challenging, but if you can just be yourself and maintain your composure you will do well. The only challenging part of my interview was the admissions interview because it was rapid fire questioning. Everyone during the entire day was friendly. The description by abolt18 was exactly how the interviews are setup.

I think that's just how YOUR specific interviewers asked questions because that's not a set thing. All of mine (and everyone I know of) just had 3 simple question answer interviews. You must have just had a couple people who like to interview in different ways. In any case, KCOM is a great school and you won't regret going here if you decide to do so (unless you get accepted to someplace way cheaper).

So when you put in your confirmation code, you had the option to schedule an interview? I'm just wondering because I was complete a couple weeks before you were and called and she said I wouldn't hear til mid January.

Congrats on the interview though and good luck!
No the confirmation code just let me see that everything was in. A few hours after that email with the confirmation code I received an email titled invitation to interview.

What kind of 'behavioral' questions?

Based on what I've heard about other schools' interviews, KCOM (and WVSOM) were incredibly relaxed. The faculty interviewers grilled on my grades a little bit, then we moved on.

No the confirmation code just let me see that everything was in. A few hours after that email with the confirmation code I received an email titled invitation to interview.

Gotcha, thanks. Good luck!

Maybe my experience as the interviewer in my current career helped, but I found the actual interviews to be fairly conversational and as relaxed as one could hope for given the circumstances. I had "DON'T BLOW IT!!! THIS IS YOUR DREAM!!" running through my head, but I just shut it up and told myself "hey, you got this far, they aren't gonna try to make you fail, just be real, be honest, and be professional". I suppose the variance in experience is a result of the "superposition" if you will, of the individual experience as administered and the perception of the experience by the individual in the experience.

One other note, you get cards with info on your interviewers and their interests... leverage that. Like Benjamin Disraeli said: "talk to a man about himself and he will listen for hours". If you can generate a two-way discourse, it both eases the mood of the interview for both parties, but it also demonstrates the ability to listen which will be critical in most careers, probably even more so in medicine.

I make no claim that this is "the way it is", it's just the way it was for me. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Have there been acceptances with Feb interviews? Or is it usually accepted pending a seat?

Congrats! It sounds like they really jumped at the chance to interview you. Would you mind sharing your stats?

Does anyone know KCOM's interview schedule -- is it every Monday & Friday?

I haven't heard of any Jan interviews(well based off of SND). Are they interviewing this month?

Congrats! It sounds like they really jumped at the chance to interview you. Would you mind sharing your stats?
3.79 overall, 3.9 science, 26MCAT..... Ive worked in the healthcare field for 8 years, so many thousands of hours of patient care. 300 or so volunteer hours, 96 shadowing hours (all MD's), and I have worked with a DO.
I hope they also jump on the chance to accept me! This is my only interview scheduled so far..... and as a new day comes and passes without any ii I am becoming more and more stressed for the interview! I can't blow it if its my only one! Hopefully you hear soon too! There still is chance, don't loose hope! (reading SDN causes me anxiety, if your the same try to stay positive!)

I haven't heard of any Jan interviews(well based off of SND). Are they interviewing this month?
I have an interview Feb 7th.

Hey I recently was accepted into ATSU and I had a question about the boards. I was wondering if anybody knew how much time do they give 2nd year medical students to study for the comlex step 1 once classes end.

I can't be certain, as our schedule is very different from that of the 2016 class, but looking at the schedule, we get out mid may, then you can take your boards mid to end of June (not sure what is the latest you can take it) so I'd say you get between 4 and 7 weeks (plus or minus a few depending on your registration).

Just got the call after being notified they would make a decision on the 24th: ACCEPTED!!

Reactions: 1 users