A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did both you and you're wife get accepted?

I'll probably wait until next week to put the deposit down so it goes on the next billing cycle on my CC :).

Ah, no. My wife just liked the feel of the school, as she toured it with me. The thought of loans for me alone nearly makes my hyperventilate, I can only guess what the thought of 500k+ would do to me! hah! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, no. My wife just liked the feel of the school, as she toured it with me. The thought of loans for me alone nearly makes my hyperventilate, I can only guess what the thought of 500k+ would do to me! hah! ;)

The thought of the debt nearly makes me do the same. I'm have never been involved a transaction anywhere near amount of the tuition. My wife really likes the town and it will be a good fit for our family. I hope we have success in finding a good place to live and she can find a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok hey all. I interviewed on Oct 21st and received an email stating they were waiting to decide on me until January 24th. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I was nervously awaiting the 3-week period only to have that slapped on me and now I don't know what to do. I've been hesitant to post on here but just looking for some sort of idea. Is this their form of being an alternate? I sent a "thank-you" email to the admissions person I interviewed with. Anything else I could do?

Ok hey all. I interviewed on Oct 21st and received an email stating they were waiting to decide on me until January 24th. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I was nervously awaiting the 3-week period only to have that slapped on me and now I don't know what to do. I've been hesitant to post on here but just looking for some sort of idea. Is this their form of being an alternate? I sent a "thank-you" email to the admissions person I interviewed with. Anything else I could do?

I looked into some old posts a while back. There were people in your situation who were accepted come January. You are definitely still being considered.

Just received my post-interview "alternate list" letter. :( Any current students that can shed light on the movement of this list? KCOM is my top choice so really hoping to get in!!

Just received my post-interview "alternate list" letter. :( Any current students that can shed light on the movement of this list? KCOM is my top choice so really hoping to get in!!

I'm sorry to hear that, but it's better than a rejection! When did you interview?

Same with me. I haven't heard of any movement yet unfortunately. KCOM is also my wife and I's top choice for multiple reasons so we are still hoping!

I interviewed on 11/18. Agreed, definitely better than being rejected! Hoping that it is early enough in the cycle that I will be pulled off the list eventually. I contacted the admissions office today and they said the alternate list movement typically starts in April/May but weren't able to give any additional info about how many people they usually accept from the list

I interviewed on 11/18. Agreed, definitely better than being rejected! Hoping that it is early enough in the cycle that I will be pulled off the list eventually. I contacted the admissions office today and they said the alternate list movement typically starts in April/May but weren't able to give any additional info about how many people they usually accept from the list

Goodluck to both of you! I interviewed 11/22, but haven't heard anything yet.

Complete in September, rejected for ii in December

30 MCAT, 3.4 cgpa, 3.1 sgpa

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an interview to KCOM for Dec 13. I am from Florida and I am very nervous about what to wear with the cold weather. I am concerned about whether or not I should wear a jacket over my suit. I was wondering if I do wear a jacket, if they are going to have a place to put it or if i will have to carry it. i was wondering what everybody else is doing concerning a jacket and scarf. I know this sounds like a stupid question but I have no experience with cold weather because it is in the 70s in December where I live in Florida. Thanks!

I just received an interview to KCOM for Dec 13. I am from Florida and I am very nervous about what to wear with the cold weather. I am concerned about whether or not I should wear a jacket over my suit. I was wondering if I do wear a jacket, if they are going to have a place to put it or if i will have to carry it. i was wondering what everybody else is doing concerning a jacket and scarf. I know this sounds like a stupid question but I have no experience with cold weather because it is in the 70s in December where I live in Florida. Thanks!

It's pretty frigid in the Midwest. Wear a coat. They have a locker for you. Don't worry. Good luck

Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?

Just got an email saying they are going to release a decision on January 24th. Is this typically bad news when they postpone making a decision?

Just got an email saying they are going to release a decision on January 24th. Is this typically bad news when they postpone making a decision?

Got the same one 2 hours ago. I called and asked if there was a way to increase my standing between now and then. They said not really. Just sit tight. At least I'm not the only one. But yes, I'd be interested to know as well.

Accepted, what a great feeling. Is there an a facebook page for the class of 2018?

Got the same one 2 hours ago. I called and asked if there was a way to increase my standing between now and then. They said not really. Just sit tight. At least I'm not the only one. But yes, I'd be interested to know as well.

I'm in the same boat. From past threads, it doesn't look like a death sentence. I've seen many who were accepted or put on the accepted pending a seat list. So I'm hoping we hear good news on the 24th.

Reactions: 1 user
secondary complete 11/26, ii 12/3, interview date 12/13

Accepted, what a great feeling. Is there an a facebook page for the class of 2018?
There is, but I'm never on the computer so I can't really post a link. Email Andrea in admissions and she can invite you or give you a link.

I interviewed on 11/18 and still haven't heard anything... has anyone from that date heard back yet?

I applied in august but have not heard anything from this school--not pre interview hold or rejection. Should I send an update letter? I have admits from other programs but I would consider KCOM. Or is the best thing to do just wait?

I applied in august but have not heard anything from this school--not pre interview hold or rejection. Should I send an update letter? I have admits from other programs but I would consider KCOM. Or is the best thing to do just wait?
I'd give them a call but don't pester. They'll give you an idea on a timeframe.

Accepted! Got the call yesterday from Donna Sparks. Interviewed in the afternoon of 12/6. Can't wait to meet the class of 2018.

Has anyone heard anything from the 11/25 interview day?

Has anyone heard anything from the 11/25 interview day?

Has anyone who was marked complete late Nov heard anything back?

Has anyone who was marked complete late Nov heard anything back?

Nope, still waiting. It looks like someone above got an ii a week after being complete. Trying not to be disheartened, but it's tough because I really like this school.

Nope, still waiting. It looks like someone above got an ii a week after being complete. Trying not to be disheartened, but it's tough because I really like this school.
Yeah, I'm not sure if that means we are "out" or if it just means they are taking more time to review specific apps?! Ahh, the waiting game...

Yeah, I'm not sure if that means we are "out" or if it just means they are taking more time to review specific apps?! Ahh, the waiting game...

The waiting game does suck, but don't give up hope. I have declined acceptances to four other schools this week and I'm sure many others declined acceptances at KCOM. Many people have been sitting on multiple acceptances and now that the deposit deadline has passed things should start to become more fluid and after Christmas more acceptances and interview invites will go out.

Reactions: 1 users
Bummed, put on the alternate list. Hopefully there will be some movement. I was very excited to attend here after my interview day

Interview invite today. Been complete since early November

Reactions: 1 user
Got a rejection letter from ATSU-KCOM today... :(
Good luck to all those who will interview and congrats to those who got in.

Called to check on my app status since I haven't received my "complete" email yet and the lady said everyone was out of the office for a meeting for the rest of the day. Don't know if it's an adcom meeting but wanted to share.

Received a call today! Accepted! Excited for the opportunity at such a historic school!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I am a current first year and remember this SDN craze when I was applying. I chose KCOM above about 6 other schools I interviewed at. Feel free to message me with any questions I am fairly open about my KCOM experience. To be completely honest I don't think I could have chosen a better school MD/DO to study medicine at. The teachers and fellow students truly want everyone to succeed and are always offering help.

Good luck in the application process!

Reactions: 2 users
I was recently accepted to KCOM, and I love the school; however, I wanted to ask if anyone can provide me with the first 2 years' schedule. I was told by some people during my interview day that the curriculum is constantly changing, but, of course, I would like to know what I am getting myself into. As far as I understand the first semester is traditional and then it becomes more organ-based? I may be wrong, but I would appreciate if someone could give me a copy of their last year schedule or just explain it a bit better for me. Also, some people say that the curriculum is harder than in other DO schools? Is that true? If yes, why is that? Thank in advance, everyone!

I was recently accepted to KCOM, and I love the school; however, I wanted to ask if anyone can provide me with the first 2 years' schedule. I was told by some people during my interview day that the curriculum is constantly changing, but, of course, I would like to know what I am getting myself into. As far as I understand the first semester is traditional and then it becomes more organ-based? I may be wrong, but I would appreciate if someone could give me a copy of their last year schedule or just explain it a bit better for me. Also, some people say that the curriculum is harder than in other DO schools? Is that true? If yes, why is that? Thank in advance, everyone!

As I understand, the biggest changes in curriculum have already happened and following years will be MUCH more similar to ours than ours is to c/o 2016. As far as schedule goes, I'm not sure if you're wanting a DAY to DAY schedule (not going to happen. You'll get that semester by semester) but if you're just looking to know dates of starts and finishes and breaks, see this page http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/calendar/classof2018_Y1.htm . As far as curriculum goes, you're right this semester was much more general sciences for us (histology of tissues, anatomy from the pelvis up, biochem, physiology, micro (general and all relevant bacteria, viruses, mycology, and parasites), pharm relevant to micro stuff, nutrition, and basic pathology). Each block is 3-4 weeks long and at the end of each block we have a single test that has 3 questions from each lecture in that block (so usually between 80 and 130 questions) and the courses are split up into certain blocks, for example all of nutrition was taught only in blocks 5 and 6 while histology was done after block 3. I have only been a medical student at 1 school so I don't know how the rigor compares to that of my fellow MS1's but I did not think it was exceptionally hard; it's just a lot of work (would you expect anything else?). Next semester will be system's-based and we'll be starting with a 5 week block covering the GI system (histology, physiology, pathology, etc... everything-ology). OTM is reserved for 8am-10am on Tuesday and Thursday generally speaking (sometimes it's only an hour, or is omitted entirely) and there is written midterm and final (seriously not hard) that are separate from our other usual classes. There are also a few practicals throughout the semester and with some practice you should easily get almost all your points on those.

Sorry for my major ramble-fest but just so you know, I do not go to class. I started by going to classes to see if I enjoyed certain lecturers and have found that it's a huge waste of my time. I learn a lot more effectively on my own so I get up in the morning whenever I want (except OTM you have to be there on time), go to the school, and settle into a breakout room to study for the day. Going to class makes me get way behind. If you have additional questions PM me and I'll see if I can help with your more specific concerns. Overall I love the school, I love my class, and I love the education I'm getting. It's refreshing to actually learn things that are relevant to my future career...

Hi all,

I was recently accepted to KCOM. I know that KCOM is a small town, but is there still a night life to meet other people (single women) and mingle? Where do the undergrad girls at Truman State hang out on the weekends? (completely serious) Any nice bars and clubs?

Thanks in advance.

While I am married so I can't speak to this first-person. I assure you my single classmates definitely manage to entertain themselves just like anyone else. It seems like a lot of people meet up at Dukum's to hang out. Also if you're ever feeling a need for some slightly bigger city (like a mall and a bunch more food options) people go to Columbia pretty frequently which is only an hour and a half away.

Reactions: 1 users