2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How is everyone finding MMIs? Someone complained to me that people had to read the prompt to them because they couldnt make it visible to them and had to waste time figuring out how to give it. This was a week ago. Apparently they also have smart alecky students getting on interviewees' nerves.

Members don't see this ad.

How is everyone finding MMIs? Someone complained to me that people had to read the prompt to them because they couldnt make it visible to them and had to waste time figuring out how to give it. This was a week ago. Apparently they also have smart alecky students getting on interviewees' nerves.
I will say that this was my first MMI and it was quite refreshing. I did have a little bit of trouble on one zoom link and lost about a minute, but I don’t think that mattered too much.

The students overall were super friendly and I was able to have some kind of conversation with them (and most interviewers) rather than simply discussing ONLY the prompt. There was one instance where it felt like an interviewer was trying to get me to stand my ground on an ethical situation but I assume it’s normal in these kinds of interviewers.

Joining the calls was a little awkward but every interviewer asked if I had time to review the prompt before we really got started on the discussion.

Overall was a really good experience and made me a lot less afraid of MMIs in general.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will say that this was my first MMI and it was quite refreshing. I did have a little bit of trouble on one zoom link and lost about a minute, but I don’t think that mattered too much.

The students overall were super friendly and I was able to have some kind of conversation with them (and most interviewers) rather than simply discussing ONLY the prompt. There was one instance where it felt like an interviewer was trying to get me to stand my ground on an ethical situation but I assume it’s normal in these kinds of interviewers.

Joining the calls was a little awkward but every interviewer asked if I had time to review the prompt before we really got started on the discussion.

Overall was a really good experience and made me a lot less afraid of MMIs in general.
So you were able to get the prompt without anyone reading it to you?

So you were able to get the prompt without anyone reading it to you?
Yes for every session I was able to read the prompt on my own. I will say that I noticed interviewers asking something alone the lines of “did you get to read all the questions?” when there was only really one prompt/question per session which I thought was odd but no one brought up anything other than the actual prompt I had based my answer on.

Yes for every session I was able to read the prompt on my own. I will say that I noticed interviewers asking something alone the lines of “did you get to read all the questions?” when there was only really one prompt/question per session which I thought was odd but no one brought up anything other than the actual prompt I had based my answer on.
Interesting. This person didn't get any of their prompts and so time was wasted waiting for someone to read the prompts.

Interesting. This person didn't get any of their prompts and so time was wasted waiting for someone to read the prompts.
That seems odd especially if they interviewed recently. The way it worked for us was we spent 3 minutes in the AMP portal and the prompt would be available to read (you had to click a button to get it to show up so it could’ve been that they didn’t know to do that). At around the 2:45 mark the zoom link would appear and you’d be able to log in

Has anyone received an II for the MD/PhD program or heard anything regarding interviews? I have not heard from utmb since I was invited to "take the next step with your application" in an email that simply had a link to more essays.

Last edited:
Has anyone received an II for the MD/PhD program or heard anything regarding interviews? I have not heard from utmb since I was invited to "take the next step with your application" in an email that simply had a link to more essays.
I know they screen applicants to send out that link, but I have no idea who gets it or how many people get it. I'm a reapplicant, received the same email last time and never got an interview

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all

I am interviewing here this week and realized I did not complete Duet. Is this mandatory for UTMB? TMDSAS says it's recommended, but the info seems to refer to 2021, not this year. It is not clear on UTMB's website unless I'm not looking at the right place.

Hi all

I am interviewing here this week and realized I did not complete Duet. Is this mandatory for UTMB? TMDSAS says it's recommended, but the info seems to refer to 2021, not this year. It is not clear on UTMB's website unless I'm not looking at the right place.
UTMB, Texas A&M, and UT Tyler require Duet this year.
It will take you 15-20 minutes max to complete it, just do it when you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all

UTMB's admission requirements page says they require Casper and Duet. It also says Duet is a pilot program for them and won't be used for screening. I'd interpret this as them potentially using Duet at some other stage of the cycle besides screening, but that it is required to be eligible for admission.

UTMB's admission requirements page says they require Casper and Duet. It also says Duet is a pilot program for them and won't be used for screening. I'd interpret this as them potentially using Duet at some other stage of the cycle besides screening, but that it is required to be eligible for admission.

UTMB, Texas A&M, and UT Tyler require Duet this year.
It will take you 15-20 minutes max to complete it, just do it when you can.
Thank you very helpful!

Hi everyone. For UTMB and TAMU, my portal says "application is ready" but I have never taken the Duet test. Are you all sure that Duet is required for interview invites? Their websites are ambiguous about whether it is needed or not. Thanks!

from the TMDSAS Application guide ( keep referring back to it when you have questions, they are always updating it! )

Texas A&M University College of Medicine​

• All applicants applying to the College of Medicine at Texas A&M University are required to complete CASPer and Duet from the Altus Suite as part of their application. The College of Medicine is piloting Duet in 2021 to determine how the additional information will assist us further in our review and selection of applicants.

The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston​

• All applicants applying to the School of Medicine at The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston should complete both the CASPer and Duet assessments via the Altus Suite. Successful completion of CASPer is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility for screening. Duet is a pilot and only strongly encouraged. Applicants will not be penalized if they choose not to complete it.
  • October 14, 2021 is the last CASPer test date that UTMB will accept

Is UTMB very prematch heavy? If so when are those generally sent out for them

Is UTMB very prematch heavy? If so when are those generally sent out for them
Afaik, UTSW and UTMB are the most prematch heavy schools. McGovern and Long don't give many. Techs give a decent amount I believe (from previous threads)

Reactions: 1 users
Any current MS want to share their experience? I've heard quality of life here is relatively high for med school. Seems students here are consistently very happy :)
they are all attending classes online while sipping margaritas on the beach.

Funny that you link this.

Once upon a time, I was interviewing virtually for a remote position. It was a very basic data entry, chimpanzee-level position for undergrads with no prior experience. I was a little overqualified but I just needed something to tide me over while between jobs. The interview was very basic -- why do you want to work for us? why should we hire you? what is your greatest strength? -- and so on, just a list of questions probably from a Vox article titled "50 Most Common Interview Questions", stuff I'd been asked in interviews since I was sixteen. They were lovely interviewers and I actually enjoyed it, if it felt a little mechanical.

Then they asked me to stand up. On camera.

Now, at that moment, I had the top half of my professional wardrobe -- a dress shirt, a tie -- but the bottom half was, I believe, boxers with rubber duckies. They said something along the lines of "prioritizing professionalism" and I understood what they meant, but they didn't explicitly ask "are you wearing pants for this interview?"

There was a quick beat of silence as I processed their request, and my heart sank down to lie with the bug-eyed, neon yellow duckies plastered across my skivvies.

Now, fortunately, I am shorter than Gordon Ramsey's temper. I am locked in leprechaun mode 24/7 and I've learned to take advantage of it. So I called their bluff. I said "sure" in a confused voice, as if I had no idea why they would ask, then stood up. By virtue of my shortened leg bones and by bending my knees ever so slightly, I kept everything below my shirt hem out of the camera view. This way, I was forcing them to either directly ask me to show my pants, which would be bizarre and I could gracefully refuse that request, or they would back out and not push it.

Incredibly fortunately, they took option B and they didn't push on it. They thanked me and I immediately sat back down and my rear was glued to that chair. I think I asked if they were checking if I was a bot or something but I don't remember what their response was. I left the Zoom call and literally just sat there for a second, thinking about how I almost flashed an interview panel of three middle-aged white men my cartoon duckie boxers.

In the end, I got the job -- and I swear to God, I did not wear pants for a single second that I was clocked in. However, I will be fully pantsed, with belt and zipper and button done, for my Sealy interview, especially as this is my #1 school. UTMB is fully deserving of pants and I'll try to class up my underwear with briefs or something, maybe bust out the lacey black lingerie for them.

Update: UTMB didn't ask me to stand up, but Long SOM did.

Again, I'm short, so it didn't matter.

Wear pants.

Reactions: 7 users
I feel like it is easier to just wear pants and not have to worry about whether or not you’ll need to stand

Wear pants.
Love the advice lol just wanted to comment in case this falls under it, but make sure you're not sharing any info the school would deem part of the privacy/confidentiality agreement. Would hate for it to end up on their radar or something!

OOS II received! 71 LM, ORM, and complete on 5/20/22. Good luck to the other applicants!

I am BEYOND excited for this II because I constantly daydream about going here.

Reactions: 5 users
Also got a II today! Transmitted 8/17, complete 8/20. Beyond excited, wasn’t expecting this one!

+1 on the II! IS, ORM, LM 73, complete 9/2. Available dates in early November

Reactions: 4 users

Wear pants.
Haha, Dr. K said "stand up and move your camera if you'd like" so I thought to myself "huh, ok. I guess they still want to see my face while we do our little pre-interview exercise." so I moved the camera up. If UTMB asks me to stand up I'll do the same -- I hope they think I was rocking some boxers with rubber duckies. Keeps 'em on their toes.

Haha, Dr. K said "stand up and move your camera if you'd like" so I thought to myself "huh, ok. I guess they still want to see my face while we do our little pre-interview exercise." so I moved the camera up. If UTMB asks me to stand up I'll do the same -- I hope they think I was rocking some boxers with rubber duckies. Keeps 'em on their toes.
Shouldn't UTMB require all their students to be wearing Swimming trunks all the time?

What were your Casper Quartiles ?
Q4 but don’t think too much of it, I’m an outlier. I’m a mental health therapist, the topics on CASPer are things I’ve had plenty of practice talking about, (and by nature of being a therapist, have had lots of practice with speaking in general) and used to do data entry (so my WPM is 115 and that helped to get my answers fully typed).

Last edited:
Q4 but don’t compare yourself to me, I’m an outlier. I’m a mental health therapist, the topics on CASPer are things I’ve had plenty of practice talking about, and I have had lots of practice with speaking in general (for the video questions) and used to do data entry (so my WPM is 115 and that helped to get my answers fully typed).
There is not a single test in the world that cant be gamed with practice. When they say aptitude and you are what you are, never trust that to be true.

Love the advice lol just wanted to comment in case this falls under it, but make sure you're not sharing any info the school would deem part of the privacy/confidentiality agreement. Would hate for it to end up on their radar or something!
Thanks for looking out for me. It definitely wasn't an interview question, it was just for a stretch break where everyone stood up.

II today, In-state. Complete 9/1. LM 61 but with a strong post-bacc.
First II after two cycles. Just a huge relief honestly.
I'm so, so happy for you. You're going to shine on the interview. Best of luck.

What were your Casper Quartiles ?
I'm Q1, OOS, II on 7/23

Last edited:
Hi guys! I'm interviewing here on Wednesday. Since it's a zoom interview I was wondering if you guys think I should have my prosthetic leg on? I know this is a weird question. But I had always planned for zoom interviews to leave it off because I want to be more comfortable. However I am seeing that some interviewers have asked people to stand. Will UTMB ask this?

Hi guys! I'm interviewing here on Wednesday. Since it's a zoom interview I was wondering if you guys think I should have my prosthetic leg on? I know this is a weird question. But I had always planned for zoom interviews to leave it off because I want to be more comfortable. However I am seeing that some interviewers have asked people to stand. Will UTMB ask this?
They did NOT ask us to stand! It was a very relaxed experience (as much as one can feel relaxed with their future on the line, lol), and they try to make everyone as comfortable as possible.

First one this coming friday! My TMDSAS schools had interviews available starting way earlier than my OOS schools lol
Usually the case. You may have some TMDSAS admissions before you do some of those interviews!

• Love
They did NOT ask us to stand! It was a very relaxed experience (as much as one can feel relaxed with their future on the line, lol), and they try to make everyone as comfortable as possible.
+1 Interviewed here on Thursday - no standing required