2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today. LM 76, complete 7/12 but LOR didn’t get there until like 7/25

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't receive an interview but other people who were complete after me did. I was wondering if that meant that they looked at my application and didn't like me.
Depends how they sort their applications.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't receive an interview but other people who were complete after me did. I was wondering if that meant that they looked at my application and didn't like me.
Someone who completed 6/8 also received today but there were interview invites before today so you can see it is not based off of a completion date.

They have internal processes that dictate who and when someone is ready to be called or kept in a pile to be compared to others and called later. Not sure how UTMB is doing them now but in the past, they used to call their top applicants early irrespective of application date. I can see that 74.5 LizzyM fits that criteria to be invited quickly while they review other applications in the order received.

Reactions: 4 users
II today at 4:52. App completed 6/30. LM 70.7 IS

I was complete on 7/7, IS, LM 74, should I be worried that I haven't received interview yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
No. you will get an interview.
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm just worried because it seems like UTMB does one big wave per month that invites all the applicants from the previous month and people with complete dates after mine have already been invited.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm just worried because it seems like UTMB does one big wave per month that invites all the applicants from the previous month and people with complete dates after mine have already been invited.
I have nothing else to go by other than the 74 being high performance indicator for UTMB to ignore.
UTMB is high on GPA and if you have 524 and 3.2 GPA I can be wrong. :(

On a side note, UTMB does interview a lot more people than other Texas schools although since the pandemic the other schools are also able to accommodate a higher number.

Has anyone gotten an email about the zoom link for tomorrow's interview (8/11/22)? I checked the portal and there is no zoom link or internal zoom application.
I got the link an hour ago! However, I don't see my interview tab updated to show the AMP links for the MMIs yet.

I got the link an hour ago! However, I don't see my interview tab updated to show the AMP links for the MMIs yet.
Just get up early for your interview tomorrow in your quiet spot with no interruptions and you will get the links the day of the interview.
You don't need them today :) You can't preview the MMI questions today either, it is meant to be your spontaneous response tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
Just get up early for your interview tomorrow in your quiet spot with no interruptions and you will get the links the day of the interview.
You don't need them today :) You can't preview the MMI questions today either, it is meant to be your spontaneous response tomorrow.
I hope we do well tomorrow on the MMI. Thanks Wysdoc for your suport for real :D

Last edited:
You mean they dont get a whole day to prepare? :)

+1 but LM 82 - I was complete all the way back in mid June :'(
They probably don't think you will show up even if they interview and admit you! Some of the Texas schools are getting a little aggressive lately.

They probably don't think you will show up even if they interview and admit you! Some of the Texas schools are getting a little aggressive lately.
Is there anything at all I can say or do to change that? I really am interested in both UTH and UTMB because they seem to have strong focuses on raising doctors who can give back to Texas - which makes it all the more sad that both those schools have ghosted me

I have nothing else to go by other than the 74 being high performance indicator for UTMB to ignore.
UTMB is high on GPA and if you have 524 and 3.2 GPA I can be wrong. :(

On a side note, UTMB does interview a lot more people than other Texas schools although since the pandemic the other schools are also able to accommodate a higher number.
My gpa is on the higher end so so I don't think that's the reason. I can only hope that there will be more waves that will include those complete earlier but starting to have doubts :(

Is there anything at all I can say or do to change that? I really am interested in both UTH and UTMB because they seem to have strong focuses on raising doctors who can give back to Texas - which makes it all the more sad that both those schools have ghosted me
Y’all are all panicking for no reason; your chance to express interest was in your secondaries and now it is a waiting phase for everyone as schools make their way through thousands of applications.

Reactions: 2 users
Can I name drop you during the MMI? I feel that will get me some brownie points.
Sure why not! If someone wants to quote me - MMI are a stupid way to recruit medical students and it is a highly impersonal method to gauge a future doctor who needs to exhibit a good bedside manner in a very highly personal business.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Personally, I think Dell interview process is the best. They have someone interviewing you, they want to see you do a group task to see how you fit in with others, and do an MMI to see how you analyze. This way they are getting a good picture of you as a person fit to practice medicine. I don't know why people are blindly going into MMI and you are done as an interviewing process at some of these schools.

Personally, I think Dell interview process is the best. They have someone interviewing you, they want to see you do a group task to see how you fit in with others, and do an MMI to see how you analyze. This way they are getting a good picture of you as a person fit to practice medicine. I don't know why people are blindly going into MMI and you are done as an interviewing process at some of these schools.

Sam Houston used this as well (plus a writing prompt) and I felt I was really able to show who I was as a person. It was a nice way to start the interview season. The MMIs I have upcoming are stressing me out.

Interview day is going nicely. The students are kind and chill. We did have a gunner in the group though. Will update you when I'm done with the MMI. UTMB seems to value collaborative efforts such as teaching others or TA's (for future applicants).

Reactions: 8 users
Interview day is going nicely. The students are kind and chill. We did have a gunner in the group though. Will update you when I'm done with the MMI. UTMB seems to value collaborative efforts such as teaching others or TA's (for future applicants).

You got this!! Good luck with the MMI.

Update: So the MMI is pretty good 8/10. Mainly situational based. Two of them were ethical and most of them were asking what I would do as a physician in a team or what qualities a doctor should have and why. Two of my interviewers had tech difficulties and so I only had two minutes in total to answer the prompt (I did great imo). Most of the interviewers are sweet and kind. One was kinda dismissive of my answer and cut our meeting two minutes early :( but that's okay. Yeah, don't stress about this MMI.

Reactions: 10 users
Update: So the MMI is pretty good 8/10. Mainly situational based. Two of them were ethical and most of them were asking what I would do as a physician in a team or what qualities a doctor should have and why. Two of my interviewers had tech difficulties and so I only had two minutes in total to answer the prompt (I did great imo). Most of the interviewers are sweet and kind. One was kinda dismissive of my answer and cut our meeting two minutes early :( but that's okay. Yeah, don't stress about this MMI.
Also do y'all like my evolved profile picture?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
that kind of sounds rude. did they say who they were - students or faculty members?

Hello y’all! Are the interview times listed on AMP for the central time zone? Sorry if this is a silly question, I just wanted to make sure!

Does anyone have any suggestions for resources to prepare for MMI? Like are there any websites where we can practice MMI with someone?

Does anyone have any suggestions for resources to prepare for MMI? Like are there any websites where we can practice MMI with someone?
Shemassian and BeMo have practice questions but you’d have to have someone work through them with you (asking you questions and reviewing).

Shemassian and BeMo have practice questions but you’d have to have someone work through them with you (asking you questions and reviewing).
I got an email from shemassian but felt like it's too much money for just 90 minutes of interview coaching. Is that what people use to prepare? I would like to believe there are low-cost options.

I got an email from shemassian but felt like it's too much money for just 90 minutes of interview coaching. Is that what people use to prepare? I would like to believe there are low-cost options.
Have a friend or family member do a mock interview where they ask you the questions on Zoom. Give them some guidance of what needs to be addressed during an MMI. It really helped me prepare for another interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I was lucky enough to get a family member to rehearse/practice with me. We only used Shemassian's practice questions, but I didn't end up paying for the coaching.

MD/PhD secondary received OOS. Does anyone know if the secondary screening for the program is stringent?

Is the interview open file or closed? Or does it matter with an MMI?