2022-2023 UTMB (Sealy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Describe a situation where you have sought to enrich and/or improve the life of another individual."

For this question, I wanted to write about a public health initiative to increase education and improve women's health in my community. Would this be a good topic for the question or would it have to be specifically focused on one person?

Members don't see this ad.

"Describe a situation where you have sought to enrich and/or improve the life of another individual."

For this question, I wanted to write about a public health initiative to increase education and improve women's health in my community. Would this be a good topic for the question or would it have to be specifically focused on one person?
Could work if you focus on the story of one specific woman you helped

You could make it general and focus on any people you interacted with personally to discuss the impact of your initiative for that person or more than one example.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be completely fair, it is EXTREMELY early in the cycle. From what I can tell, UTMB didn't even send their very first II until July 28th and that was their VERY FIRST II. From what I can tell, August is going to be the highest traffic month.

To be completely fair, it is EXTREMELY early in the cycle. From what I can tell, UTMB didn't even send their very first II until July 28th and that was their VERY FIRST II. From what I can tell, August is going to be the highest traffic month.
Yep. They're doing orientation for incoming MS-1, White Coat ceremony, & all that this week.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
ahh yeah tru - i was really surprised tho cause it seems like some schools are moving quicker. but this is a good pt - august can't come soon enough
Yep. They're doing orientation for incoming MS-1, White Coat ceremony, & all that this week.
Ohhhhh that makes sense

Members don't see this ad :)
IS II received today at noon!
LizzyM: 66, sent by email, application completed 06/23, available interview dates are August 11th,17th, and 18th

IS II.
Surprised because it's the weekend.
LizzyM: 77.8.
App complete on 6/17.

• Love
OOS II but in-state ties. I'm so excited. Good luck to everyone interviewing.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Damn I submitted early June and didn’t get an II. Looks like my time here is done. Good luck to all those future docs who were invited! And good luck the rest of the cycle!

May I suggest that you smother yourself with an odorless antiperspirant during your interview day. Being outside for 5 minutes or less moving from one AC building to another, good luck not being drenched in sweat in your conservative black or blue navy suits or jackets under the 10000% humidity of Galveston bay and the relentless Texas sun.

Don't be like George during your interviews. :rofl:

Sweating to the oldies

Damn I submitted early June and didn’t get an II. Looks like my time here is done. Good luck to all those future docs who were invited! And good luck the rest of the cycle!
My brother in Christ, that is simply not how the application cycle works. Just because you weren't invited yet doesn't mean you're out of the running. You can be invited to an interview as late as January. Just gotta wait.

Reactions: 2 users
My brother in Christ, that is simply not how the application cycle works. Just because you weren't invited yet doesn't mean you're out of the running. You can be invited to an interview as late as January. Just gotta wait.
I think @Iwanttobeadoctor08 just needs lots of reassurance, because I have told them this in at least one other school’s thread.
All y’all, there are months of interview invites still to come and not getting one the first week does not mean you won’t get one later.

May I suggest that you smother yourself with an odorless antiperspirant during your interview day. Being outside for 5 minutes or less moving from one AC building to another, good luck not being drenched in sweat in your conservative black or blue navy suits or jackets under the 10000% humidity of Galveston bay and the relentless Texas sun.

Don't be like George during your interviews. :rofl:

Sweating to the oldies
Fortunately, this is the year of our Lord 2022. We've evolved to virtual interviews now. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
II this morning! Surprised to receive one during the weekend.

• Care
Great!

Don't be this guy.

LOL
Funny that you link this.

Once upon a time, I was interviewing virtually for a remote position. It was a very basic data entry, chimpanzee-level position for undergrads with no prior experience. I was a little overqualified but I just needed something to tide me over while between jobs. The interview was very basic -- why do you want to work for us? why should we hire you? what is your greatest strength? -- and so on, just a list of questions probably from a Vox article titled "50 Most Common Interview Questions", stuff I'd been asked in interviews since I was sixteen. They were lovely interviewers and I actually enjoyed it, if it felt a little mechanical.

Then they asked me to stand up. On camera.

Now, at that moment, I had the top half of my professional wardrobe -- a dress shirt, a tie -- but the bottom half was, I believe, boxers with rubber duckies. They said something along the lines of "prioritizing professionalism" and I understood what they meant, but they didn't explicitly ask "are you wearing pants for this interview?"

There was a quick beat of silence as I processed their request, and my heart sank down to lie with the bug-eyed, neon yellow duckies plastered across my skivvies.

Now, fortunately, I am shorter than Gordon Ramsey's temper. I am locked in leprechaun mode 24/7 and I've learned to take advantage of it. So I called their bluff. I said "sure" in a confused voice, as if I had no idea why they would ask, then stood up. By virtue of my shortened leg bones and by bending my knees ever so slightly, I kept everything below my shirt hem out of the camera view. This way, I was forcing them to either directly ask me to show my pants, which would be bizarre and I could gracefully refuse that request, or they would back out and not push it.

Incredibly fortunately, they took option B and they didn't push on it. They thanked me and I immediately sat back down and my rear was glued to that chair. I think I asked if they were checking if I was a bot or something but I don't remember what their response was. I left the Zoom call and literally just sat there for a second, thinking about how I almost flashed an interview panel of three middle-aged white men my cartoon duckie boxers.

In the end, I got the job -- and I swear to God, I did not wear pants for a single second that I was clocked in. However, I will be fully pantsed, with belt and zipper and button done, for my Sealy interview, especially as this is my #1 school. UTMB is fully deserving of pants and I'll try to class up my underwear with briefs or something, maybe bust out the lacey black lingerie for them.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Funny that you link this.

Once upon a time, I was interviewing virtually for a remote position. It was a very basic data entry, chimpanzee-level position for undergrads with no prior experience. I was a little overqualified but I just needed something to tide me over while between jobs. The interview was very basic -- why do you want to work for us? why should we hire you? what is your greatest strength? -- and so on, just a list of questions probably from a Vox article titled "50 Most Common Interview Questions", stuff I'd been asked in interviews since I was sixteen. They were lovely interviewers and I actually enjoyed it, if it felt a little mechanical.

Then they asked me to stand up. On camera.

Now, at that moment, I had the top half of my professional wardrobe -- a dress shirt, a tie -- but the bottom half was, I believe, boxers with rubber duckies. They said something along the lines of "prioritizing professionalism" and I understood what they meant, but they didn't explicitly ask "are you wearing pants for this interview?"

There was a quick beat of silence as I processed their request, and my heart sank down to lie with the bug-eyed, neon yellow duckies plastered across my skivvies.

Now, fortunately, I am shorter than Gordon Ramsey's temper. I am locked in leprechaun mode 24/7 and I've learned to take advantage of it. So I called their bluff. I said "sure" in a confused voice, as if I had no idea why they would ask, then stood up. By virtue of my shortened leg bones and by bending my knees ever so slightly, I kept everything below my shirt hem out of the camera view. This way, I was forcing them to either directly ask me to show my pants, which would be bizarre and I could gracefully refuse that request, or they would back out and not push it.

Incredibly fortunately, they took option B and they didn't push on it. They thanked me and I immediately sat back down and my rear was glued to that chair. I think I asked if they were checking if I was a bot or something but I don't remember what their response was. I left the Zoom call and literally just sat there for a second, thinking about how I almost flashed an interview panel of three middle-aged white men my cartoon duckie boxers.

In the end, I got the job -- and I swear to God, I did not wear pants for a single second that I was clocked in. However, I will be fully pantsed, with belt and zipper and button done, for my Sealy interview, especially as this is my #1 school. UTMB is fully deserving of pants and I'll try to class up my underwear with briefs or something, maybe bust out the lacey black lingerie for them.
Wouldn’t it be better to wear a swimsuit to show you’re “all-in” on Galveston?

Not a speedo or swimsuit to show you're all in on Galveston.

I suggest a hazard suit to show you're all in if you know anything about the waters of Galveston bay.

Kidding aside. GL with your interviews everyone!

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Are there any UTMB students floating around who can talk a little bit about their interview experience? What sort of questions were asked, the format, etc.?

Are there any UTMB students floating around who can talk a little bit about their interview experience? What sort of questions were asked, the format, etc.?

I believe it's MMI and scenario-based

For anyone that has received an interview, do you recall any instructions on when we will receive the link for the virtual interview? I'm wondering if I overlooked this information. I don't see anything in the interview invite e-mail or the "interview information" in the portal. My other upcoming virtual interview said they would send something 24 hours beforehand.

For anyone that has received an interview, do you recall any instructions on when we will receive the link for the virtual interview? I'm wondering if I overlooked this information. I don't see anything in the interview invite e-mail or the "interview information" in the portal. My other upcoming virtual interview said they would send something 24 hours beforehand.
Mine said there will be “seven 8-minute interviews. Applicants will have 3 minutes to read a scenario before each interview. Your interviewer will then connect, and you will have 8 minutes to respond and engage in dialogue regarding the scenario. You will be interviewed by UTMB faculty, staff, residents, and students. During one of the seven interviews, you will have the opportunity to sell yourself, discuss your interest in JSSOM, and ask questions of our faculty.”

Mine said there will be “seven 8-minute interviews. Applicants will have 3 minutes to read a scenario before each interview. Your interviewer will then connect, and you will have 8 minutes to respond and engage in dialogue regarding the scenario. You will be interviewed by UTMB faculty, staff, residents, and students. During one of the seven interviews, you will have the opportunity to sell yourself, discuss your interest in JSSOM, and ask questions of our faculty.”
Thanks for the reply. I received the same information. I was wondering how we would access the interview on the interview date.

Thanks for the reply. I received the same information. I was wondering how we would access the interview on the interview date.
Normally the virtual connect information should come to you just before the interview, probably a day in advance because they need to provide the same information to your interviewers.

If my complete date was earlier than that, does it mean that I'm done for this school?

I don't think so. Date of completion is just one attribute for a II.
I didn't receive an interview but other people who were complete after me did. I was wondering if that meant that they looked at my application and didn't like me.

I didn't receive an interview but other people who were complete after me did. I was wondering if that meant that they looked at my application and didn't like me.
In the same boat!

Reactions: 2 users
II just now! I was complete 6/8.