2022-2023 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At the info session thing last week they said we could send a quick booster email to let them know that you put uploaded something
Who do we email? medadmissions@downstate??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!! The waitlist movement has been giving me some hope 🤞 if you don’t mind me asking, had you received a confirmation email about being on the alternate list / making a suny downstate account? Some people got that email and some didn’t it looks like
Thank you! I just got an email to check my portal on April 3rd when I was put on AL, and I got a similar email yesterday.
Also, today I got an email with netID and a new downstate email address.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I just got an email to check my portal on April 3rd when I was put on AL, and I got a similar email yesterday.
Also, today I got an email with netID and a new downstate email address.
Thank you for your help! That lessens my anxiety then, thought I messed up for not getting an email with the netid lolol

• Love
are there internal rankings for Pass/Fail for pre-clinicals?
Yeah, it's not really just Pass/Fail. This is what I found:

"Bolded in the summary paragraph are the descriptors Outstanding, Superior, Excellent, Very Good, Good or Competent. The numerical boundaries for these category are found in two locations, including a table immediately preceding the summary paragraph. The size of each category is Outstanding 5%, Superior 15%, Excellent 30%, Very Good 30%, Good"

So you'll be ranked in comparison to how well your classmates do.

• Wow
Hey,
Can one of the current students briefly describe the on-campus gym? does it have most of the standard machines/dumbells, and equipment that a regular gym would have?

Hey,
Can one of the current students briefly describe the on-campus gym? does it have most of the standard machines/dumbells, and equipment that a regular gym would have?
Not a current student but from my tour I remember like 2 squat racks, a deadlift platform. A bench or two. Dumbbells. It’s not like a commercial gym but has the essentials. There’s also a basketball court and pool

Hey,
Got a small look during campus tour. The equipment was quite old, possible nearing ~15-20 yrs and the size was quite small. Like other person said, it has the essentials. Basketball court looked fine, didn't get to see pool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's not really just Pass/Fail. This is what I found:

"Bolded in the summary paragraph are the descriptors Outstanding, Superior, Excellent, Very Good, Good or Competent. The numerical boundaries for these category are found in two locations, including a table immediately preceding the summary paragraph. The size of each category is Outstanding 5%, Superior 15%, Excellent 30%, Very Good 30%, Good"

So you'll be ranked in comparison to how well your classmates do.
Current student here: pre-clinicals are pass/fail with NO internal ranking. Those adjectives are for the MSPE and are based off your clinical grades which they use to rank you into quartiles and determine AOA eligibility. There is a preclinical honors called “Distinction in Foundations” which you get for having 90+ averages throughout preclinicals, but from to my knowledge most residencies don’t even know what this is and it doesn’t help or hurt your application.

Anyone waitlisted receive reminder to complete health forms? This is so much stuff to do to later find out you're not accepted

Reactions: 6 users
Facts, so much private data to share for a school that's gonna send me an R in a few months?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I also got the email just now! And they said to upload by May 11?!? That is so soon!! I thought we had until July 1st??

I got the email too and will not be doing all that without an acceptance.

Got the Health Forms email as well. I'm not sure what the real deadline is now...

Besides the Health Forms is anything else due around that time/ now for alternates?

i thought the site said the pre-matric checklist is due 7/1 - do you guys think the 5/11 deadline is a mistake?
it's incredibly hard to make a doctor's appointment nowadays and i feel like with most college kids graduate around early may; 5/11 deadline is too tight

Reactions: 1 users
i thought the site said the pre-matric checklist is due 7/1 - do you guys think the 5/11 deadline is a mistake?
it's incredibly hard to make a doctor's appointment nowadays and i feel like with most college kids graduate around early may; 5/11 deadline is too tight
I emailed downstate to clarify the due date and they said all checklist items are due by the date stated on the pre-matric checklist :/ so now I’m so confused lol

Does anybody know if there is an admitted student's Facebook or GroupMe? I emailed the admissions asking on March 28th and they said they would send it out in a few weeks, but I haven't seen anything. Thanks!

Not a current student but from my tour I remember like 2 squat racks, a deadlift platform. A bench or two. Dumbbells. It’s not like a commercial gym but has the essentials. There’s also a basketball court and pool
MS3 here. Pool has been broken for years and will not be functional for years more. Also see my previous comment about how toxic and punitive this school is. I and many of my classmates strongly advise that you dont come here.

MS3 here. Pool has been broken for years and will not be functional for years more. Also see my previous comment about how toxic and punitive this school is. I and many of my classmates strongly advise that you dont come here.
Respectfully, what is the purpose of your fear mongering? Because at this point it seems like you have a vendetta against the school which is well within your rights. I’m sure most of us have seen the perspectives both good and bad from students who have popped in.
Some of us only have one option and really want to be a doctor so we’re gonna go where we can. I think more helpful advice would be how to survive in a system that may not be the best. So if anyone has advice like that I’m sure we would all appreciate it.

Reactions: 20 users
just to be clear, alternates can't use the medicat portal because we don't have a downstate email, correct?

also, is the BLS verification required for alternates? on the first pre-matric page it says "accepts + alternates" but on the checklist, it says "if accepted to medicine")

i am just confused about everything because conflicting information is being sent out

I just checked the tour, this doesn't paint an accurate image, looks fine to me

See 1:38 here

I emailed downstate to clarify the due date and they said all checklist items are due by the date stated on the pre-matric checklist :/ so now I’m so confused lol
I was wondering the same thing. I cant make an appointment by May 11th so idk what to do. I'm gonna email them as well

I emailed them to ask about the discrepancy in the May 11th date and the July 1st date on the portal. They said everything was due July 1st but you can get it in before then as the waitlist moves. It seems like a gentle nudge to not wait until July 1st to get everything done/submitted.

Reactions: 3 users
I also emailed and told them I have an appointment in mid-may but shortly after May 11th and they said it's fine. Phew!

Sounds like you're on the WL trying to get people to withdraw their A's. Love the toxicity lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Sounds like you're on the WL trying to get people to withdraw their A's. Love the toxicity lol.
Even if it were true, we out here fighting for our livesss to get into med school. They would have to put satan himself at the gate of Downstate to try and stop me if I got in and I promise satan is losing at this point 😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I'm surprised theres not that much waitlist movement this week. Historically, there was a least a little movement on sdn the week before the May 1st date.

This cycle seems a bit different for Downstate given how most people got AL status on 4/3 instead of the last 7 days. Wonder what this means

This cycle seems a bit different for Downstate given how most people got AL status on 4/3 instead of the last 7 days. Wonder what this means
Hopefully it means that there will be a lot of WL movement next week!! Fingers crossed for the best

Alternative list today. If we get of the waitlist is there still a chance for scholarships?

Even if it were true, we out here fighting for our livesss to get into med school. They would have to put satan himself at the gate of Downstate to try and stop me if I got in and I promise satan is losing at this point 😂😂😂😂
Right like I was on 5 waitlists. You could tell me I have to climb a mountain and do a Mortal Kombat boss fight everyday on my way to school and that still wouldn't make a difference to me 😆

Bored post-match MS4 here: everyone has their own experience with Downstate. I and many of my friends and classmates really enjoyed our time here. There are some rough edges regarding administration though, particularly on-boarding at the many hospitals.

Reactions: 4 users
I GOT IN 😭😭

I truly truly wish everyone the best on this thread - this process is torturous. I know what everyone is curious about for the stats so I'll try to be as helpful as possible without ddoxing myself.

OOS, ORM, 513, 3.8, Interviewed 4/7, waitlisted 4/19, received the email this morning. I sent in letters of intent and did not do the health forms yet.

Movement is coming...You guys all got this

Edit: adding some more information for future stalkers of this thread. This was my only chance at an A this cycle (other than a waitlist I was on that doesn't move) so I went all in as soon as I got the interview invite late march. I'm eternally grateful as I was already planning for a reapp and this was one of my top pick schools. I sent multiple, very short letters of intent to express my continued interest. These letters were followed up by an email to admissions. I feel like I did do quite well on my interviews so even though I interviewed super late I'm assuming I was placed on the top of the waitlist which is why I heard back quite early.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Do you mind sharing the exact date? I interviewed April 12th and haven’t heard anything :( I reallly want to go and I already sent in a bunch of stuff including a letter of intent.