2022-2023 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone complete around 9/20 get a II?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if 3rd and 4th year medical students have to set up their own rotations? And if so how difficult have they been to set up? Is it pretty competitive to stay in Saint George during those years? And how has your experience been applying for residencies? Do you feel like you've had a good amount of options for specialties?
(This might be better in the RVUCOM-Utah thread) I think there are about 10 core sites that have your rotations. I think you set up the elective ones. A student there said you don't have to set them up yourself. My interviewer said most people want to stay in St. George for the third year, and SLC is probably the next most sought-after location. You rank your top choices and it is a lottery. I can't comment on specialties, but the match list is pretty impressive. I was told there are a lot of opportunities for research and other things to make you competitive, but there are a lot of people that just want to go to school and not pursue anything competitive. I was able to visit the campus and I was blown away. I didn't have them at the top of my list, but after seeing the campus I think they are now. There are a lot of study spaces and the facility seems nicer than other med schools I have visited.

I don't love the for-profit status, but quite a few schools made over $20 million dollars in 2020. I don't think there really is a significant difference in the philosophy of non-profit and for-profit, especially when they cost about the same.
This website shows you the financial data for med schools if you are interested.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've noticed that the tuition has increased by about $2,000 the past couple of years. Do you pay the same fee for all four years? Or are you at the mercy of the school? Is there anything stopping the school from charging you 70k next year?

(This might be better in the RVUCOM-Utah thread) I think there are about 10 core sites that have your rotations. I think you set up the elective ones. A student there said you don't have to set them up yourself. My interviewer said most people want to stay in St. George for the third year, and SLC is probably the next most sought-after location. You rank your top choices and it is a lottery. I can't comment on specialties, but the match list is pretty impressive. I was told there are a lot of opportunities for research and other things to make you competitive, but there are a lot of people that just want to go to school and not pursue anything competitive. I was able to visit the campus and I was blown away. I didn't have them at the top of my list, but after seeing the campus I think they are now. There are a lot of study spaces and the facility seems nicer than other med schools I have visited.

I don't love the for-profit status, but quite a few schools made over $20 million dollars in 2020. I don't think there really is a significant difference in the philosophy of non-profit and for-profit, especially when they cost about the same.
This website shows you the financial data for med schools if you are interested.

Thank you so much!

Just got the A call :') my top school so happy!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the A call while at work so I missed it, but they left a voicemail! Interviewed 10/31 :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask why RVUCOM your top choice? :) Just submitted the secondary, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. Also CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Yes!! First their pass rates are consistently fantastic, same with their match rates. I also consider the match schools and they have a lot of students match to universities with more opportunists for residency. I love P/F and honors.. so it’s not as stressful as graded but you can still stand out academically with honors. I like how I will be able to plan my study schedule since some lectures aren’t mandatory. Student funding with public loans instead of private is important to me. I also have a friend at the Utah campus that has been super honest with me and how much she enjoys the school. Also love Denver, opportunities to shadow in large hospitals etc. The only con for me is there isn’t a lot of research (I have a strong research background).

Reactions: 3 users
So what are the honest cons about the school?
Waiting for someone to mention for profit even though that genuinely shouldn’t matter bc either way the deans of schools are making bank

Reactions: 1 users
So what are the honest cons about the school?
Lack of research
I'm skeptical of rotation sites after class expansion and even more once Montana starts rotations
Expensive
For profit
Basically no cafeteria
No football team

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Lack of research
I'm skeptical of rotation sites after class expansion and even more once Montana starts rotations
Expensive
For profit
Basically no cafeteria
No football team
I'm also accepted here as of 11/21. I have also heard issues with year 3 and 4 rotations and Sub-I opportunities, and with advising at the school. Can any current medical students who might see this post add to any pros/cons for RVU Colorado?

I'm also accepted here as of 11/21. I have also heard issues with year 3 and 4 rotations and Sub-I opportunities, and with advising at the school. Can any current medical students who might see this post add to any pros/cons for RVU Colorado?
I have had descent rotations in 3rd year so far, but like I said I could see it becoming a bigger problem with the bigger class. Thats also just my experience, and im sure some people may have had problems. 4th year you are on youre own to find rotations. I think thats pretty common with DO schools. I havnt many encounters with advising, they seem fine.

Pros:
Great boards
Great location
Very good matches
Tracks
Everyone takes Step

Does anyone know if the drug screen is a urine sample or hair follicle test lol

Yes!! First their pass rates are consistently fantastic, same with their match rates. I also consider the match schools and they have a lot of students match to universities with more opportunists for residency. I love P/F and honors.. so it’s not as stressful as graded but you can still stand out academically with honors. I like how I will be able to plan my study schedule since some lectures aren’t mandatory. Student funding with public loans instead of private is important to me. I also have a friend at the Utah campus that has been super honest with me and how much she enjoys the school. Also love Denver, opportunities to shadow in large hospitals etc. The only con for me is there isn’t a lot of research (I have a strong research background).
There is actually a research track for first year medical students that you can apply to. It's competitive to get selected but once you're in you're doing research until you graduate.

There is actually a research track for first year medical students that you can apply to. It's competitive to get selected but once you're in you're doing research until you graduate.
Oh wow I didnt know that! that sounds so fun- I will look into it. thank you!

Oh wow I didnt know that! that sounds so fun- I will look into it. thank you!
Here you go and no problem!

Pros:
Great boards
Great location
Very good matches
Tracks
Everyone takes Step
Seems like we have similar interests (football and skiing). Obviously med school is hard and insanely time consuming, just curious as to how often you get to ski/take advantage of CO's outdoor scene. I'm familiar with the hell that is I-70 in the winter.

Seems like we have similar interests (football and skiing). Obviously med school is hard and insanely time consuming, just curious as to how often you get to ski/take advantage of CO's outdoor scene. I'm familiar with the hell that is I-70 in the winter.
I think some people go a lot more than I do. But Ive been able to get like 6-12 days in. Thats mostly skiing. I dont normally go into the mountains for other activities. The cool thing about med school and recorded lectures is you can go on week days and avoid traffic.

Is the accepted student day worth going to? I live pretty far but I can make it work if it's really helpful for incoming students. Otherwise I'll just attend the Zoom Q&A sessions lol

II today 12/03.
Secondary completed on 9/18.

Is the accepted student day worth going to? I live pretty far but I can make it work if it's really helpful for incoming students. Otherwise I'll just attend the Zoom Q&A sessions lol
I’m wondering this too…

Withdrew my A from here to one of you future doctors! Best of luck everyone

Pre II R via email today. Complete in November. LM 70. Pretty bummed.

• Wow
Withdrew my A. I really liked their the program, but wanted to stay closer to home. Hopefully the A goes to one of you all!

Reactions: 1 users
Who is ready for the A's coming Tuesday 12/20?
Look At Me Reaction GIF by WWE

i have a 3.3 gpa + moderate upward trend and 510 MCAT but no II here :( or anywhere lmao, I was treating this as a somewhat mild safety school, do you guys have an idea if my gpa killed my chance here?

The A came today!!!
Interviewed on 12/06.
II received 12/03.
Secondary completed on 9/18.

i have a 3.3 gpa + moderate upward trend and 510 MCAT but no II here :( or anywhere lmao, I was treating this as a somewhat mild safety school, do you guys have an idea if my gpa killed my chance here?
I'm not sure if this will help but my cGPA is 3.48 and sGPA is 3.44 according to AACOMAS (my MCAT is lower than yours) and I have an acceptance to this school. It can be done! The application cycle isn't over yet, I'll be sending positive thoughts your way :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Is there an accepted students groupme or facebook page? How do we go about getting added to those :)

Is there an accepted students groupme or facebook page? How do we go about getting added to those :)
There is a Facebook page its called RVUCOM-CO Class of 27, ask to join and they will add you if you are holding an acceptance.

anyone have any info on what rvu offers to make competitive applicants? i heard there was lack of research here so I was a little worried about that!

There is a Facebook page its called RVUCOM-CO Class of 27, ask to join and they will add you if you are holding an acceptance.
Do you know how long take them to accept? I sent a request a few days ago, and nothing so far.

anyone have any info on what rvu offers to make competitive applicants? i heard there was lack of research here so I was a little worried about that!
They do offer the Physician-Scientist Track, so I’m assuming research is not a problem there.

II received this morning. Earliest available is 1/12.