2022-2023 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It appeared on the interview scheduling tab about a day before.
Sorry; I can't find the zoom link? I don't see any indication for a zoom link. It looks the same as a week ago and my interview is tomorrow. I'm looking everywhere in the Interview Management tab.

Never mind. As per the Pitt email sent a few weeks ago: The Zoom links to connect to your interviews will become available the morning of your scheduled interview day. These links can be found in the "Interview Management" Tab of the UPSOM Admissions Database under the "Schedule Interview" section. Each event and interview will have a participant specific link next to each session.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry; I can't find the zoom link? I don't see any indication for a zoom link. It looks the same as a week ago and my interview is tomorrow. I'm looking everywhere in the Interview Management tab.
You may look at your email Calendar. Example Gmail Calendar. From Zoom, meetings can be scheduled directly using an email.

Do those who have already been interviewed have any tips? Also, were you told who your interviewers were before the interview? If so, how far before the interview were you told?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update on the Curriculum starting next class in 2023 (useful info for future applicants): PittMed Admissions: Curriculum Update 2022

As for the interview date, I just wrapped up my interview with my faculty member. Very nice person, though I'm not sure if they read my full application (it's okay if they didn't!). Both the Faculty and Student are blind to MCAT and GPA. Student just knows your name and school attended (that's it!).
Student interview was also fantastic! We spoke about hotdogs in Pittsburgh and coffee. Within both interviews, I was asked Why Medicine, Why Pitt, and What Made You Want To Be A Doctor? Also, describe a time you worked as a team and what did you learn from it? What was your role?

Pitt does not have any time for information panels regarding the school. Rather, they dedicate the day for interviews and the group activity.
Regarding the activity (which I have yet to do), Dr. Rao (assistant admissions dean) stated that you will be broken into groups of 4 (which is weird because there's only 14 of us interviewing today; lovely people by the way; no gunners here!) and engage in a 30 minute discussion regarding a patient or problem. This is meant to replicate Pitt's problem based learning. Make sure to contribute to the discussion, as this will be rated by a non-partial staff member (blind to everything). Do not hog the time (you will be asked to hush), do not put others down, collaborate with others, and build on the other's experiences and statements to learn from each other.

As for the group session, we covered a small case study about being home sick and culture shock. What what you do to help comfort the student? Have you ever felt homesick? What did you do? What can we do within our personal time to learn more about the culture of the people in this foreign country? We then took turns giving our viewpoints. We never spoke over each other, we were monitored, and we worked pretty well! There was no atmosphere of gunners or "I'm better than you." Super collaborative. By far, this is the best interview session I've had.
GO PANTHERS!

Stats: Starting in September, the school begins ranking students. "Pitt doesn't really reject interviewees. We usually waitlist and direct admit. We have to accept about 300 students from a pool of 700 to fill a 150 person class. If you get waitlisted by the MD program, the MD/PHD program may look at you and decide that you're a great fit and will automatically accept you from the waitlist to help fill in the gap for MD/PHD." Straight from Dr. Piraino's mouth (Dean of Admissions).

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 27 users
Hopefully y'all find this helpful. I'll try to do this for all the interviews I have this cycle and the next cycle (if I don't get into a school) so that future applicants and current applicants can know what to expect. Who knows, this may be your top school.

Reactions: 7 users
Hopefully y'all find this helpful. I'll try to do this for all the interviews I have this cycle and the next cycle (if I don't get into a school) so that future applicants and current applicants can know what to expect. Who knows, this may be your top school.
god i could kiss you on the mouth

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Update on the Curriculum starting next class in 2023 (useful info for future applicants): PittMed Admissions: Curriculum Update 2022

As for the interview date, I just wrapped up my interview with my faculty member. Very nice person, though I'm not sure if they read my full application (it's okay if they didn't!). Both the Faculty and Student are blind to MCAT and GPA. Student just knows your name and school attended (that's it!).
Student interview was also fantastic! We spoke about hotdogs in Pittsburgh and coffee. Within both interviews, I was asked Why Medicine, Why Pitt, and What Made You Want To Be A Doctor? Also, describe a time you worked as a team and what did you learn from it? What was your role?

Pitt does not have any time for information panels regarding the school. Rather, they dedicate the day for interviews and the group activity.
Regarding the activity (which I have yet to do), Dr. Rao (assistant admissions dean) stated that you will be broken into groups of 4 (which is weird because there's only 14 of us interviewing today; lovely people by the way; no gunners here!) and engage in a 30 minute discussion regarding a patient or problem. This is meant to replicate Pitt's problem based learning. Make sure to contribute to the discussion, as this will be rated by a non-partial staff member (blind to everything). Do not hog the time (you will be asked to hush), do not put others down, collaborate with others, and build on the other's experiences and statements to learn from each other.

As for the group session, we covered a small case study about being home sick and culture shock. What what you do to help comfort the student? Have you ever felt homesick? What did you do? What can we do within our personal time to learn more about the culture of the people in this foreign country? We then took turns giving our viewpoints. We never spoke over each other, we were monitored, and we worked pretty well! There was no atmosphere of gunners or "I'm better than you." Super collaborative. By far, this is the best interview session I've had.
GO PANTHERS!

Stats: Starting in September, the school begins ranking students. "Pitt doesn't really reject interviewees. We usually waitlist and direct admit. We have to accept about 300 students from a pool of 700 to fill a 150 person class. If you get waitlisted by the MD program, the MD/PHD program may look at you and decide that you're a great fit and will automatically accept you from the waitlist to help fill in the gap for MD/PHD." Straight from Dr. Piraino's mouth (Dean of Admissions).
Legendary. Thank you sm 🙏🏼 Just to clarify, no access to ECs, PS, LORs, etc.? Only UG attended?

GO PANTHERS!

Thank you very much! Very kind of you to share your interview experience. Wish you good luck. BTW, where did you find the interview link you were looking for yesterday? :)

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much! Very kind of you to share your interview experience. Wish you good luck. BTW, where did you find the interview link you were looking for yesterday? :)
I found it within the Interview Management tab a few hours before the interview. Each event has its individual link.
For instance:
Thanks for scheduling your UPSOM Gremlin interview for 8/26/22!

Dean welcome remarks at 10 EST: Link
Faculty interview 10:45 EST: Link

Also check out my gremlin pic. I love it so much.

Last edited:
Best of luck! You were great in the small group activity! Hoping you get in here
Thank you so much! I thought everyone in our group did great as well (the conversations were really interesting and everyone put in so many great ideas). Hope you get in here as well :)

For those that have interviewed, could you control your zoom background? I don't have a separate office and my computer set-up just faces my bed lol so I was planning to blur my background

For those that have interviewed, could you control your zoom background? I don't have a separate office and my computer set-up just faces my bed lol so I was planning to blur my background
Yes, just set up a blurred background on Zoom prior to the interview. Many of my interviewers blurred their background.

• Love
OOS II, LM 75, WARS 85, strong research background, complete 7/22

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
OOS II complete 8/9. LM 71 w/ 1000+ research, clinical hours, and non clinical volunteering.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
OOS II 9/1 this morning, LM 72.4, URM. Submitted 8/7. Email notification

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone attend the PTSP session or student panel yet?
when is that?

edit: nvm, just realized that is an info session for post-interview day? Are there any Pitt students on here I could DM with a couple questions about the PTSP?

Last edited by a moderator:
First II and super excited.

OOS II, submitted 7/23, ORM, LM 73.7, lot of research experience.

The first available interview date is Nov third week.

Earlier someone mentioned about ranking from Sep.

Is doing an interview on Nov 3rd week too late?

I mentioned it, and no. Take the interview and ace it. You miss the shots you don’t take.

Wdym by ranking from Sept?

Like they start ranking the students they’d prefer to take souls from first. The higher the rank= the higher the chance of admittance.

Last edited:
Like they start ranking the students they’d prefer to take souls from first. The higher the rank= the higher the chance of admittance.
I’m confused isn’t that every med school? Don’t they all rank then accept from top till the fill seats?

An II on the weekend?!? Guess I know how I’m spending my Saturday night ~ checking my email :):

I'm MCAThiccy. I know things.

Since they do not release the final list until Jan, I presume later interviews do not have any disadvantage as they can be inserted in the list anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
II received today. OOS, LM 76. Submitted 7/20.

has anyone submitted to PTSP? If so, what are the prompts and word counts?