2022-2023 Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Are y'all completing the AAMC Preview? It's recommended this year but I really don't want to spend any more money than I have to

Beginning my third year here soon! Feel free to reach out for anything!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear anything? I haven't heard of anyone getting secondaries yet but want to make sure I'm not missing anything

Anyone hear anything? I haven't heard of anyone getting secondaries yet but want to make sure I'm not missing anything
If I recall, secondaries don’t go out until late august or September for OU. OU is quite a bit “slower” than most other schools. Don’t worry!

OOS secondary received today. Strong ties to state. No essays for the OKC track. I believe there are for the community medicine track.

If I recall, secondaries don’t go out until late august or September for OU. OU is quite a bit “slower” than most other schools. Don’t worry!
as is tradition, i am completely wrong

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I'm taking the MCAT again in September, I've got a 497 and 3.4 gpa IS right now with research, 4000 hours in Healthcare and 5 LORs, 3 of them are from physicians from OU. Should I go ahead and apply and let them know I plan on retaking or wait until I retake the mcat?

I'm taking the MCAT again in September, I've got a 497 and 3.4 gpa IS right now with research, 4000 hours in Healthcare and 5 LORs, 3 of them are from physicians from OU. Should I go ahead and apply and let them know I plan on retaking or wait until I retake the mcat?

That's a tricky one. I'd say there's no harm in applying -- the only downside I can think of is the financial aspect of submitting an application -- but keep in mind that being considered for an interview/the order of interviews offered is based on MCAT and GPA. Admitted OU med students have an average MCAT of 509 and GPA of 3.81 so I definitely think you could benefit from retaking the MCAT. If you retake it and get your score before the end of interview season, you might be able to send them an update and increase your chances of getting in or at least getting an interview invite this year. Otherwise, that's a very impressive list of activities! Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a tricky one. I'd say there's no harm in applying -- the only downside I can think of is the financial aspect of submitting an application -- but keep in mind that being considered for an interview/the order of interviews offered is based on MCAT and GPA. Admitted OU med students have an average MCAT of 509 and GPA of 3.81 so I definitely think you could benefit from retaking the MCAT. If you retake it and get your score before the end of interview season, you might be able to send them an update and increase your chances of getting in or at least getting an interview invite this year. Otherwise, that's a very impressive list of activities! Best of luck!
Do you know if the ranking is based on overall GPA or science GPA?

Is there any downside to applying both tracks? Like I'm interested in community medicine, but it seems super competitive and I doubt I would be able to get in.

Is there any downside to applying both tracks? Like I'm interested in community medicine, but it seems super competitive and I doubt I would be able to get in.
The only difference is location but it doesn't change your admission chances as you have to be admitted to OUCOM before you are accepted into the track

Hey there! I had an interview at OU last year and went to the reapplicant workshop. Does anyone know if they review those applications from workshop attendees earlier in the cycle, or do they still go off of stats?

Hey there! I had an interview at OU last year and went to the reapplicant workshop. Does anyone know if they review those applications from workshop attendees earlier in the cycle, or do they still go off of stats?

I'm not sure. I can tell you about my personal experience -- the first year I got my invitation to interview on 10/9, and the second year (when my stats were the same and I had attended the workshop) it came on 10/1. But, I don't know if that had to do with the workshop, different overall stats of the applicant pools, etc.

I am a non-trad who went to a smaller undergrad. I am having difficulties getting the 3 letter of rec from professors. (5 years out from graduation). Anyone heard of OU giving some leniency for their LORs? I have 2 faculty letters and two from physicians.

I am a non-trad who went to a smaller undergrad. I am having difficulties getting the 3 letter of rec from professors. (5 years out from graduation). Anyone heard of OU giving some leniency for their LORs? I have 2 faculty letters and two from physicians.
I want to say yes. I think i remember hearing some other nontrads talk about this. but definitely reach out to admissions! Knowing OU, I have a hard time imagining that they wouldn't be flexible. Especially given your circumstances!

If anyone wants any advice from a current MS1 that just went through this process with OU (including the waitlist) I also am here to answer anything!

Reactions: 1 users
Does the portal go down often? It seems like every time I go there a different part that is down. :(

Edit: Lol yeah it just linked me to Columbia University Irving Medical Center.

Does the portal go down often? It seems like every time I go there a different part that is down. :(

Edit: Lol yeah it just linked me to Columbia University Irving Medical Center.
I never had any issues with OU's portal really (other then it feeling like it was straight out of the early 2000s) but I also wouldn't put it past them.

I'm a current MS1 at the Tulsa SCM. Feel free to reach out with any questions!

Reactions: 2 users
I want to say yes. I think i remember hearing some other nontrads talk about this. but definitely reach out to admissions! Knowing OU, I have a hard time imagining that they wouldn't be flexible. Especially given your circumstances!
yeah, I feel like i have been told by multiple students they allowed this for them. I emailed admissions and was told they are strict on it and wouldnt allow any flexibility from it. :(

yeah, I feel like i have been told by multiple students they allowed this for them. I emailed admissions and was told they are strict on it and wouldnt allow any flexibility from it. :(
Same. I told them I had different letters from ppl who knew me better and they said they would be nice to include but no exceptions to the LOR rule. I ended up sending them an old one I got when I was about to apply couple years ago. They took it but idk how it was viewed. Still no II.

Does anyone know the official deadline for LOR… Is it Oct 15 or Nov 1st?

Does anyone know the official deadline for LOR… Is it Oct 15 or Nov 1st?
October 15th should be the AMCAS deadline, and Nov. 1st (I believe) should be the supplemental materials deadline (though I would try to get everything in ASAP truthfully if possible).

Congrats! Standard question, when were you complete and stats?

Not the original commenter, but I got II the last week of September and submitted mid-August. UG gpa 4.0 grad gpa 3.9 mcat 518 and weaker clinical experience, but I am already a student at OU

II today as well for both campuses!

Reactions: 1 users
Got an interview scheduled for Nov 30th. Any tips for prepping for the interview?

Got an interview scheduled for Nov 30th. Any tips for prepping for the interview?
Stick to the AAMC core competencies and have questions for the end! About a third of my interview was me asking questions about the school.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I urge you to be yourself, I know interviews can be nerve-racking but being able to show personality (that is not a total red flag) goes a long way because at the end of the day they are looking for the human component to go alongside with the rest of the profile. Come prepared with questions, but questions about things that you actually have interest in rather than just looking up something you think they may want to hear you ask. I can definitely say an interview can make or break an application, as my interview single-handedly probably carried me to the end. Also definitely speak to the AAMC core competencies and you will be golden. I recommend thinking about questions you may expect to be asked as well and making sure you have an answer so you aren't totally blindsided hopefully at any point.

I urge you to be yourself, I know interviews can be nerve-racking but being able to show personality (that is not a total red flag) goes a long way because at the end of the day they are looking for the human component to go alongside with the rest of the profile. Come prepared with questions, but questions about things that you actually have interest in rather than just looking up something you think they may want to hear you ask. I can definitely say an interview can make or break an application, as my interview single-handedly probably carried me to the end. Also definitely speak to the AAMC core competencies and you will be golden. I recommend thinking about questions you may expect to be asked as well and making sure you have an answer so you aren't totally blindsided hopefully at any point.
Thank you! This was very helpful

@WillOfTheSon I'm preparing for my interview and I hope to have a few solid reasons for wanting to attend OU outside of familial connections to the state. I'm looking on the website for unique bits about OU, but also thought I'd ask a current student... What makes OU unique? What resources does the school have that would make you want to go there? Input appreciated!

IS II reciveed today!! Scheduled for 11/30 I wanted to sign up for the 3rd but it filled up while I was filling out their prerec form.

@WillOfTheSon I'm preparing for my interview and I hope to have a few solid reasons for wanting to attend OU outside of familial connections to the state. I'm looking on the website for unique bits about OU, but also thought I'd ask a current student... What makes OU unique? What resources does the school have that would make you want to go there? Input appreciated!
One thing that I really like about OU that they highlight a lot of in the first two years is the Module system where you are assigned a mod with about 14 to 15 other classmates where you each have your own desk, discussion room, lockers, small kitchenette, etc. and basically these people will be right with you for the next two years. While the mod system is sort of what you make of it, my mod is very close and includes some of my best friends that I may not have otherwise met beyond my friends not in my mod. In a way they almost give you a group of people to trauma bond with while also serving as your partners for a lot of group clinical work. Obviously its sort of luck of the draw but something that I have loved.

I also really like how much OU prioritizes early exposure to different fields, there is always at least three interest groups for different subspecialties going on, and with each of those there are workshops and doctors that come in and talk about what you can do to pursue that field. Faculty are very accessible and care about your grades, and while they acknowledge it is hard, they also will work with you and help you improve rather than let you flounder like a lot of other schools and will help you put together things that you my be missing in your skills that can take you above and beyond. (I wouldn't say this one is as unique but a positive so far with my time here.)

Edit: As well attendings are directly involved in our clinical and lecture courses, all the way up to the chiefs and administrators of each department and even they make themselves accessible to be discuss with you course of actions in pursuing a specialty and taking a first-hand role in our teaching. It can be scary trying to interact with attendings and residents in the field when we are medical students but OU gives you a lot of opportunities (if you take them) to make connections with doctors that can have a tremendous impact in mentorship and teaching. Again, something that you have to sort of grab by the horns but I've heard may not be the same at all schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users