2022-2023 NYU - Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do we know if the university accepts updates?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday morning; it went to my junk mail!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who interviewed on 09/29 or 09/30 heard anything back yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Interview 9/30, placed on hold. I'm taking this as a rejection as they only have 2 seats for what I applied for. Good luck to everyone else!

• Care
Just got word I will be moving onnnn!! 🥳🥳🥳 My interview was October 11th (

Reactions: 3 users
Moving on, interviewed 10/13! Anyone know how many applicants make it through this final filter?

Reactions: 2 users
Advanced to final pool for acceptance consideration. Interviewed 10/13

Members don't see this ad :)
Final Pool, Interviewed 09/30!

Are they emailing status updates? Interviewed 10/13 and haven't heard about hold or next round.

I’m not sure. I think there’s three outcomes post interview: final pool, hold, and maybe rejection though it’s not been reported.

I looked through last year and there seemed to be four outcomes: final pool, top applicants of final pool (or something like that), hold or rejection. I’m not really sure and I haven’t see a high priority hold yet.

I’m not sure. I think there’s three outcomes post interview: final pool, hold, and maybe rejection though it’s not been reported.

I looked through last year and there seemed to be four outcomes: final pool, top applicants of final pool (or something like that), hold or rejection. I’m not really sure and I haven’t see a high priority hold yet.
those who received the final pool email earlier this week, did anyone's email say "top applicants of final pool" or something like that? I know last year people got an email saying they were in the final pool or "top applicants" and I am wondering if admissions are doing the same thing this year.

I received final pool and mine read final pool of applicants (same as newyorkgal’s quoted message).

Last edited:
For those who have already interviewed, is the student panel a webinar or are you expected to have your video on?

For those who have already interviewed, is the student panel a webinar or are you expected to have your video on?
The Sunday night one? It's a conversation, so definitely have your camera on and be prepared with a q or two

did they say interview thank you notes should be put through the portal?

They started by saying that it was casual and was not recorded or reported in any way to the admission committee. It was super chill. Camera on and being interactive is good to start building relationships even just with other interviewees but you’d be fine to not have it on imo

Has anyone from the 10/13 interview day still not heard back on status? They said we would learn if we were in the final round in 4-6 weeks, so does not hearing back mean you're not moving on?

Can anyone comment on how their curriculum style for content courses differs from NYU Grossman (if at all)? Does NYU LI have more PBL?

II received this morning! UG GPA 3.53, SMP GPA 3.90; MCAT 518; complete 7/6. ORM (but LGBT, if that means anything)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
II received this morning! UG GPA 3.53, SMP GPA 3.90; MCAT 518; complete 7/6. ORM (but LGBT, if that means anything)
Do you mind sharing when the interview date is? I was under the impression that the last interview day was December 15th. (I'm trying to hold out hope here haha)

Do you mind sharing when the interview date is? I was under the impression that the last interview day was December 15th. (I'm trying to hold out hope here haha)
The only date available for me was 10/13

For those who interviewed and made it to the final pool -- is there any benefit of sending a LOI/update? Would they even share it with the residency committee? I had an interview early on and I know they don't release decisions until February, so wasn't sure if it would be beneficial to send something to them.

Hello all! I just received an OOS interview invite and need some advice: there were only two interview dates available to schedule -- tomorrow or December 15th. Unfortunately, I am not available on December 15th, and I think this could be the last interview day (since they interview until mid-December). I could do the one tomorrow, but I already missed the Sunday Zoom meet and greet since I only received the invite today. I emailed admissions and explained the situation, but I'm not sure they will get back to me in time. Does anyone know if 1) the student meet and greet is mandatory, or 2) if I could possibly attend the meet and greet the week after I interview instead of the week before?

Also, should I just bite the bullet and schedule the interview for tomorrow, or wait until the admissions team responds to me?

Thanks all! Btw, I was complete on 9/8.

Hello all! I just received an OOS interview invite and need some advice: there were only two interview dates available to schedule -- tomorrow or December 15th. Unfortunately, I am not available on December 15th, and I think this could be the last interview day (since they interview until mid-December). I could do the one tomorrow, but I already missed the Sunday Zoom meet and greet since I only received the invite today. I emailed admissions and explained the situation, but I'm not sure they will get back to me in time. Does anyone know if 1) the student meet and greet is mandatory, or 2) if I could possibly attend the meet and greet the week after I interview instead of the week before?

Also, should I just bite the bullet and schedule the interview for tomorrow, or wait until the admissions team responds to me?

Thanks all! Btw, I was complete on 9/8.
Just schedule it. You will definitely just be told to attend this coming Sunday instead, but also email them again clarifying that you will plan to attend tomorrow unless you hear otherwise from them. Then ask if it would be appropriate to attend Sunday's meet and greet. Apologize that you can't make the 15th -- but they get it, it's a last minute invite.

Reactions: 2 users
I received an II today but the portal isn’t allowing me to schedule, has anyone else ever had this issue?

Just schedule it. You will definitely just be told to attend this coming Sunday instead, but also email them again clarifying that you will plan to attend tomorrow unless you hear otherwise from them. Then ask if it would be appropriate to attend Sunday's meet and greet. Apologize that you can't make the 15th -- but they get it, it's a last minute invite.
Ok, I did this, and they confirmed I'll be interviewing tomorrow! Ahhhh....

Do you, or does anyone else, have any interview tips? Since it's so last minute, I have very little time to prep. Is it a normal MMI? Are they all ethical scenarios, or are there also traditional interview stations? Should I prep a "why NYULISOM" answer?

Thanks to everyone!

I received an II today but the portal isn’t allowing me to schedule, has anyone else ever had this issue?
Also had that issue, then I realized I hadn't uploaded my photo

Also had that issue, then I realized I hadn't uploaded my photo
I had uploaded a photo, it was a weird thing where I could see the calendar but when I clicked confirm it wouldn’t actually confirm. I emailed admissions and got scheduled by them manually so it is all good now :)

This is for next cycle, but curious what you have learned from applying and interviewing (and attending).

1. If you decide NOT to rank NYU LI at the end of the program, do they still keep you at #1? Won't this inevitably lead to you matching there anyway, since they must not get a lot of outside applications since the spots are almost guaranteed to be filled by their med students? (Do they even have open applications for residency spots for non-NYU LI students?)

2. Is there any flexibility to switch specialties within the program? Ex. going from IM to OB in your second year. Does that mean you are forced to do the match because all the OB spots are taken by your original OB pathway classmates?

3. What is the general feeling from the medical community towards 3 year programs in general, and the 3 year NYU LI program? The big name must help, but I think a lot of people don't realize there is the LI campus.

This is for next cycle, but curious what you have learned from applying and interviewing (and attending).

1. If you decide NOT to rank NYU LI at the end of the program, do they still keep you at #1? Won't this inevitably lead to you matching there anyway, since they must not get a lot of outside applications since the spots are almost guaranteed to be filled by their med students? (Do they even have open applications for residency spots for non-NYU LI students?)

2. Is there any flexibility to switch specialties within the program? Ex. going from IM to OB in your second year. Does that mean you are forced to do the match because all the OB spots are taken by your original OB pathway classmates?

3. What is the general feeling from the medical community towards 3 year programs in general, and the 3 year NYU LI program? The big name must help, but I think a lot of people don't realize there is the LI campus.
1. If you are not going to be applying to the NYU residency, you have to apply just like a normal resident would in the match
2. There is flexibility in the sense that if your interests change, you can ask to switch to OB but you’re no longer guaranteed a residency spot.
3. Your degree comes from NYU, they stress that during the interview day. I really don’t think a three year program is going to put you at a disadvantage since a lot of schools are doing it this way now (Hackensack, Penn state has 3yr programs) with a condensed pre-clinical and then a fourth year with a little more flexibility.

Interviewed 10/14 but still haven't heard back... anyone else also waiting? :/

I don’t know how it really works but I think there is evidence of switching specialties and pursuing other residency spots on their match list from March 2022 (their first and only graduated class so far)

For example, Pediatrics Match List
Mass General, Johns Hopkins, Cornell and NYU LI

So if there are truly 6 Pediatrics Med student spots, then 2 people switched completely out of Pediatrics and 3 of the remaining 4 managed to match at top Pediatric residencies elsewhere

Idk if it’s socially or professionally acceptable to say that you have an interest in switching out or going elsewhere but it’s at least very doable.

I don’t know how it really works but I think there is evidence of switching specialties and pursuing other residency spots on their match list from March 2022 (their first and only graduated class so far)

For example, Pediatrics Match List
Mass General, Johns Hopkins, Cornell and NYU LI

So if there are truly 6 Pediatrics Med student spots, then 2 people switched completely out of Pediatrics and 3 of the remaining 4 managed to match at top Pediatric residencies elsewhere

Idk if it’s socially or professionally acceptable to say that you have an interest in switching out or going elsewhere but it’s at least very doable.
It is but also this isnt the ideal school for someone who wants to have flexibility. Also - the medical students mentioned it is difficult to apply out because you are in a 3yr curriculum as opposed to 4yr so you have much less time to do research/pubs/other stuff for your residency app.

All in all, I would say this is not the ideal school for someone who doesn't know what they want to pursue. Almost every other medical school in the country is set up to allow you to have the most freedom, why would you apply to this school if you were not interested in peds/IM/surg/OBGYN?

Its certainly a different story if you change your mind after attending but as an applicant I don’t get why you would apply if you don’t know where your interests lie