2022-2023 NYU - Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received an II, literally in tears. This is my dream school. I know its still going to be such a crapshoot to get in post-interview but it's very exciting nonetheless!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II 1 hour ago!!! Never expected an interview so I am very excited!! Completed 7/27

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
LM 68, IS, ORM- As I never expected an ii, I just want to tell people, have hope!! sending good luck to everyone!
Also never expected one...literally applied just because I knew I would always regret it if I didn't, assuming I would get an R, but I could not be happier I decided to go for it!! (LM 71)

• Care
Also never expected one...literally applied just because I knew I would always regret it if I didn't, assuming I would get an R, but I could not be happier I decided to go for it!! (LM 71)
same! I knew my chances were less than 1% but I did not want to make that 1% into a 0% by not applying :')

Awe many congrats to you both 😁 that is so so exciting!!!!!

• Care
So the "application elegible for review" status is a new standard for everyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Right, which rise the question is the same for everyone on here? since the last cycle only said completed....
Ohh I see what you are saying now. I am not sure, all of my other AMP portals said "application is ready/complete" some variation of that, this is the only one that was different

longtime lurker here just made an account to talk about this school.

II received last week. Does anyone have insight into the school's selection process? From MSAR it looks like they interview 500 applicants for 24 spots. (so maybe 40ish people accepted in total?) Is it MMI?

longtime lurker here just made an account to talk about this school.

II received last week. Does anyone have insight into the school's selection process? From MSAR it looks like they interview 500 applicants for 24 spots. (so maybe 40ish people accepted in total?) Is it MMI?
Got II here too this week.
Someone said closer to 30 accepts , guess not too many folks turn down the free tuition. Still 30/500 are good odds to save 4yr of tuition plus the 1yr of extra attending or residency salary depending on how you want to look at it , great location too, right on lirr close to tons of stuff. Mmi plus a group activity it looks like.

Reactions: 1 user
From the interview day, we were told they would only accept 24 people. If someone declines the spot, that is when they'd start making acceptances off of the waitlist or otherwise. They were very clear that they will not over-accept for the 24 spots -- so they would only have above that number if someone declines

Reactions: 2 users
ah got it, well 24/500 isn't a 0% chance so lets see what we've got:)

II received yesterday -- submitted end of August! OOS, ORM super surprised, was not expecting an interview but hopeful :)

Nov. 3 was also the earliest date I could schedule -- does anyone know how long it takes them to notify you (post interview) of an acceptance or rejection?

II received yesterday -- submitted end of August! OOS, ORM super surprised, was not expecting an interview but hopeful :)

Nov. 3 was also the earliest date I could schedule -- does anyone know how long it takes them to notify you (post interview) of an acceptance or rejection?
I browsed through last year's thread and I think all their accpetances come around February (un)fortunately

I browsed through last year's thread and I think all their accpetances come around February (un)fortunately
From my interview day here, NYU LI cuts down on who they are considering post-II about 6-8 weeks after they interview. All final decisions take place in mid-Feb.

To rephrase that, you find out if your application is going to be passed on from the NYU LI admissions team to the residency program directors 6-8 weeks after your interview. Additionally, they accepted exactly the number of seats they have (2 Gen Surg, 2 Ob/Gyn, 6 Peds, and 14 IM). If someone who is accepted for Peds decides not to take their seat, then they send out a single acceptance to one more Peds interviewee they really liked (they do NOT have a ranked waitlists).

its my first interview tmrw and im feeling pretty nervous. i was wondering how it was like for others / how much preparation is needed. esp, thoughts on group activity and traditional 1 on 1?

Does anyone know if post-interview thank you letters are uploaded to the portal as additional documents, or as an email to the admissions office through the communication status tab?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if post-interview thank you letters are uploaded to the portal as additional documents, or as an email to the admissions office through the communication status tab?
it was mentioned that they should be uploaded as additional documents! if you email them to adcom they add it to the portal for you but it would take some time

II OOS ORM
complete late June, definitely a surprising one haha

II IS, also completed late June

LM 81.6 || ORM || Non-Trad || EMT || Research

Does anyone know if they accept Letters of Intent and if those should be uploaded directly to the portal or if we should also email the admissions office to let them know?

Just got the update that I'll be moving on to the next steps- anyone know how many applicants are in this pool?

Just got the update that I'll be moving on to the next steps- anyone know how many applicants are in this pool?
Did your email indicate which pool you were in? There was some messiness last cycle with applicants who were part of the pool vs top pool.

Got an email for final pool for consideration

Meanwhile some of us need to wait till the Spring for the big FAT R.

• Haha
Can you also please clarify what these "pools" or "next steps" are? Do you mean IIs? Or are these pre-II emails? Or post-II?
So at your interview (they will explain this to you) you will hear back in (I forgot how many weeks they said) following you interview if you are moving on to the next step. The next step is the "final pool" of those being seriously considered for admission. Hope that helps

Also read above in the thread, someone explained it much better than I did

Can you also please clarify what these "pools" or "next steps" are? Do you mean IIs? Or are these pre-II emails? Or post-II?
The process at LISOM is basically

Primary -> Secondary -> R or Interview -> R or Sent to residency programs for final selection -> A/WL/R

The process at LISOM is basically

Primary -> Secondary -> R or Interview -> R or Sent to residency programs for final selection -> A/WL/R
Thank you both for clarifying. So after the initial interview date is there another interview/interaction with you to help the residency program decide?

Thank you both for clarifying. So after the initial interview date is there another interview/interaction with you to help the residency program decide?
no its as if they put you on "hold" until they do a final consideration. you just wait for further news

What time did you get the email and when did you all interview? If you don't mind me asking.
Sure- I interviewed a few days over a month ago and got the interview at around 1 PM. Here's what the email said: "final pool for acceptance consideration to the NYU Long Island School of Medicine"

Sure- I interviewed a few days over a month ago and got the interview at around 1 PM. Here's what the email said: "final pool for acceptance consideration to the NYU Long Island School of Medicine"
Thank you!! I interviewed like two weeks ago so I’m hoping that means they haven’t gotten to review us yet

I think they said they're interviewing until mid December. Someone who recently got an II can probably tell you what the first interview date available was and then you can sort of guesstimate ...