2022-2023 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
any knowledge on when they start throwing the interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

any knowledge on when they start throwing the interviews?
People on last year's SDN thread received a notification on their portal saying their app had been scored around the middle of July, and then around Aug 10 people began to receive interview invites.

What did you guys put for the "Behavioral sciences" prereq?
I am not sure which courses fall into humanities

Members don't see this ad :)
3. Please provide a chronological list with dates AND a brief description of your clinical experiences/shadowing."

For the brief description, did you guys stick to a couple sentences or did you fill write to meet the 500 word count?

Anyone know if we can use our passport number for the naturalized citizen number question? I emailed but no response and can't seem to get in contact with a live person via phone.

3. Please provide a chronological list with dates AND a brief description of your clinical experiences/shadowing."

For the brief description, did you guys stick to a couple sentences or did you fill write to meet the 500 word count?
Definitely kept it brief and straightforward

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what to do if you have overlap between the chronological lists? For example, I have clinical experiences that are also employment so not sure if I choose to keep it in only one? But it asks for chronological lists so I'm not sure because then would I need to repeat a brief description?

Anyone know if we can use our passport number for the naturalized citizen number question? I emailed but no response and can't seem to get in contact with a live person via phone.
That's what I did and submitted it because I don't even know what a citizenship number is

Does UM pre-screen applicants?
On the MSAR it says they send out secondaries to "most U.S citizens & residents".

The naturalized citizenship number is on the top of your Certificate of Naturalization (the one they give you when you take the oath of allegiance)

For listing volunteer and medical activities, are you guys only listing the ones on your AMCAS application? I did more than that, and was thinking of listing them on the secondary because I have the room to do so

For listing volunteer and medical activities, are you guys only listing the ones on your AMCAS application? I did more than that, and was thinking of listing them on the secondary because I have the room to do so
no reason you couldn't do that, since the AMCAS app limits the number of activity entries you could make

All just to be clear, we only provide descriptions of our activities when asked? Like we don't provide descriptions for volunteering and employment

Members don't see this ad :)
All just to be clear, we only provide descriptions of our activities when asked? Like we don't provide descriptions for volunteering and employment
question 3 asks for a brief description and question 4 just asks for a list with the dates, so yes just follow their instructions.

Just to confirm, when they ask for your composite MCAT score, they mean in one sitting and not a super-score, correct?

Do we know if there is any rhyme or reason to when people get secondaries? Or is it just completely random?

I applied previously and only got a secondary in early August, but this cycle, I got my secondary in late June. Wondering if that's a good sign or nothing to read into

For the research question, I have no previous experience working on official research. Should I mention that and show my interest in pursuing research opportunities at Miami Miller? I feel like I'm shooting myself in the leg here.

For the research question, I have no previous experience working on official research. Should I mention that and show my interest in pursuing research opportunities at Miami Miller? I feel like I'm shooting myself in the leg here.
def do that! It shows that you put effort in

For the courses section, are you guys listing just the bare minimum needed or are you trying to fill up all 3 slots?

Also if I have taken more recent biology courses, should I list those instead of my older intro courses?

For the courses section, are you guys listing just the bare minimum needed or are you trying to fill up all 3 slots?
I believe the 3 spots are for people whos schools are on a quarter system, My school is on a semester system, so I followed the instructions and listed only the min

For "Please briefly discuss your research experience", I discussed my experience and tied it to my future goals and UMiami, I was given advice by an advisor that "they don't ask about your goals, they ask about your experience." So should I remove the part about my future goals?

I believe the 3 spots are for people whos schools are on a quarter system, My school is on a semester system, so I followed the instructions and listed only the min
Did you list upper division courses over intro courses as they are more recent?

For "Please briefly discuss your research experience", I discussed my experience and tied it to my future goals and UMiami, I was given advice by an advisor that "they don't ask about your goals, they ask about your experience." So should I remove the part about my future goals?
Yeah I would remove the future goals, they aren't asking about that. It's just you providing some more information about your research background

Yeah I would remove the future goals, they aren't asking about that. It's just you providing some more information about your research background
But my goals are connected to the research background, and tied directly to why I want to attend UMiami - IDK I guess I'm just very confused b/c I was trying to show fit

But my goals are connected to the research background, and tied directly to why I want to attend UMiami - IDK I guess I'm just very confused b/c I was trying to show fit
I would mention it that in the why Miami essay

Does anyone know where we put lab courses if they are separate? The app says "* Do not enter lab courses in this prerequisites section," but I am not sure where else to put them. Thanks!

Just to confirm, when they ask for your composite MCAT score, they mean in one sitting and not a super-score, correct?
On MSAR under MCAT considerations, they put that they consider the highest total score.

Last edited:
On MSAR under MCAT considerations, they put that they consider the highest total score. I might interpret that as super-scoring, no?
Superscoring would be cherry-picking your best sub scores from your MCAT tests.
Highest total score = your 512 being better than your 509, even if you scored higher on the CARS sub score in your 509 attempt.

Reactions: 1 users
Superscoring would be cherry-picking your best sub scores from your MCAT tests.
Highest total score = your 512 being better than your 509, even if you scored higher on the CARS sub score in your 509 attempt.
Got it. Thank you!

If you hit the “watch” button for the Miami thread, you’ll be notified of new posts.
Hilarious. I tried looking for something to click to follow a thread but couldn't find anything. Thanks for pointing that out.

For "a description of your travel experience/activities involving sports", does that mean just a cut and dry description or are they looking for little stories and stuff? Also...is everyone filling the 500 word limit for questions that are asking for more than just a list?

For "a description of your travel experience/activities involving sports", does that mean just a cut and dry description or are they looking for little stories and stuff? Also...is everyone filling the 500 word limit for questions that are asking for more than just a list?
tell a story! aka why you enjoy these things

I submitted a couple days ago and it still says that my LORs aren't received. My school definitely sent them out though. Anyone know if I should contact admissions or just wait to see if they get confirmed?

Is the "Application currently under review" line one that appears for everyone right after submission? Or is it something new that appears indicating we are on a new step in the review process?

Attachments

• Screenshot (70).png
    Screenshot (70).png
    33.8 KB · Views: 255
Is the "Application currently under review" line one that appears for everyone right after submission? Or is it something new that appears indicating we are on a new step in the review process?
Hmm.. mine says that also and also sayS they haven't received my LOR...even tho AMCAS is showing it was sent with my primary.

I submitted a couple days ago and it still says that my LORs aren't received. My school definitely sent them out though. Anyone know if I should contact admissions or just wait to see if they get confirmed?
Mine says this too, maybe its a mistake? I'm going to give it a week

I’ve heard they have a minimum Casper score for offering interviews, does anyone know how true that is?

I’ve heard they have a minimum Casper score for offering interviews, does anyone know how true that is?
I saw a reddit post from last year where someone was "under-review" the entire cylce, and when asked why, Miller replied saying their Casper score was insufficient for an interview. As someone who did very poorly on Casper, I hope it isn't true.

I saw a reddit post from last year where someone was "under-review" the entire cylce, and when asked why, Miller replied saying their Casper score was insufficient for an interview. As someone who did very poorly on Casper, I hope it isn't true.
Yikes I’m trying to decide if it’s even worth submitting a secondary then

UGH I just realized I didnt send CASPER to miami!! i submitted weeks ago on july second. Think this will negatively affect me?

• Wow