2022-2023 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who has received the MSTP secondary please post the prompts here?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who has received the MSTP secondary please post the prompts here?
I don't remember there being any MSTP-specific prompts, they did ask me for a CV tho so make sure you have one updated and handy

Reactions: 1 users
II just now! Extremely pumped, this is my first one, and didn't get any last cycle. ORM OOS

Reactions: 5 users
How long did it take for everyone's letters of recommendation to be verified? The rest of my application was finished on 8/12 but my letter approval is still pending.

How long did it take for everyone's letters of recommendation to be verified? The rest of my application was finished on 8/12 but my letter approval is still pending.
That’s normal I think, took about two weeks for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS. (175 char)

Should shadowing be included in these entries?

Please list and briefly describe all medically related experiences (paid/volunteer) you have completed during the past 5 years. Do NOT forecast future hours. Please include experiences listed on your AMCAS and also provide any additional experiences NOT listed on your AMCAS. (175 char)

Should shadowing be included in these entries?

I listed shadowing in my entries

II received this morning! IS reapplicant, LM 71, submitted 7/25.

OOS II received this morning! Thank god for virtual interviews.

II today, OOS LM 73! Submitted Late July. Thrilled since this is one of my top choices!

II invite received yesterday morning. IS, very strong ties to CCOM. Complete 8/9
Absolutely SHOCKED and so excited!

II just now! Email at 9:29 EST. OOS with no ties. Complete 8/2 I believe. Stats in signature.

Has anyone for MSTP heard anything?

I was verified on August 12th but still haven't received a secondary. Is this normal and/or does Carver pre-screen before sending out secondaries?

I was verified on August 12th but still haven't received a secondary. Is this normal and/or does Carver pre-screen before sending out secondaries?

I think they’re just slow - I was verified before transmission and got my secondary on 7/18.

Has anyone for MSTP heard anything?
Not that I know of, but I suspect they may send soon cuz their first MSTP interview date is Sept 21 (assuming they haven't been sent out already and we just don't know)

I don't remember there being any MSTP-specific prompts, they did ask me for a CV tho so make sure you have one updated and handy
Where did you find that it asked for your CV? Is it part of the primary application page or part of the supplemental questions?

Where did you find that it asked for your CV? Is it part of the primary application page or part of the supplemental questions?
Neither, part of the "MD/PhD Application" option (the 5th/last one, looks like an erlenmeyer flask)

II received yesterday, 8/29. Complete on 8/22. IS reapplicant.

OOS MSTP II received today! Completed 7/12, scheduled for 9/20!

Received secondary today for anyone that is curious

Current 3rd year at Carver, let me know if you have any questions!

What's Iowa City like?
Iowa City is a mid-sized city/college town with a lot to do given its size. There several great parks near by with great beaches, mountain biking, hiking, boating, etc. Downtown has many bars, shops, entertainment. If you are used to a big city, it will feel smaller but there really is most things you would expect to find in a bigger city (maybe just less variety). If you want something bigger, you can do your clinical year at the Des Moines branch campus and there are 4th year rotation options there as well (room and board is covered). Iowa city is a drivable distance to both Des Moines (1.5 hours) and Chicago (3.5 hours). Cedar Rapids is 30 mins away which is another mid-sized city. Overall, there is plenty of things to do during your down time.

Reactions: 2 users
Flying in to Iowa today for the 9/7 interview! 🐷🌽🐷🌽🐷🌽 (first time in the Midwest!!)

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know if the structured portion of the interview is 25 minutes and another 25 unstructured? Or is it 25 minutes total between the two?

Current M1 at carver- for anyone worried about not having an interview yet, take a deep breath the cycle is SO LONG here! My class hasn’t even taken our first anatomy test yet, it’s v early :) but on that note, it is exciting to see y’all here to interview!! Can’t believe it’s already going again!

For anyone who has already interviewed (virtually, or even in person) what was the day like?

For anyone who has already interviewed (virtually, or even in person) what was the day like?
It goes by rather quickly. There are two "interview" sections for the MD-only interview process: The "Case-based learning" session which simulates part of the clinical curriculum, and the 25-minute closed-file interview with two faculty members at the same time.

The closed-file interview begins with structured questions, where they ask ~3 questions and only record notes on your responses. No further elaboration or reaction to your answers. Once those are out of the way, the rest of the interview becomes more of a dialogue, going back and forth and so on.

The Case-based learning can last about an hour and takes place while other applicants are going through the 25-minute interviews. Here, several applicants are grouped and moderated by current students. You'll examine a case as a group and discuss it, trying to answer the questions related to it and learning more as the case goes on. Emphasis is given on how you work as a team, rather than whether you get it right or not. The students are able to clarify medical topics if there's info that isn't clear, since you're not really expected to at this stage know all of the ins and outs of the case.

The rest of the interview process includes learning more about the program, the location, and overall it was a relatively stress-free experience. All of the faculty and students were extremely friendly, easy to talk to, non-judgmental, and eager to hear more about you. I know it's easy to get stressed out during an interview, but they make it very easy to build rapport and before you know it, the interview is over and I found myself wanting to keep going a bit and talking longer with them. Nothing to worry about at all, I think you'll find this to be a very smooth interviewing experience

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
It goes by rather quickly. There are two "interview" sections for the MD-only interview process: The "Case-based learning" session which simulates part of the clinical curriculum, and the 25-minute closed-file interview with two faculty members at the same time.

The closed-file interview begins with structured questions, where they ask ~3 questions and only record notes on your responses. No further elaboration or reaction to your answers. Once those are out of the way, the rest of the interview becomes more of a dialogue, going back and forth and so on.

The Case-based learning can last about an hour and takes place while other applicants are going through the 25-minute interviews. Here, several applicants are grouped and moderated by current students. You'll examine a case as a group and discuss it, trying to answer the questions related to it and learning more as the case goes on. Emphasis is given on how you work as a team, rather than whether you get it right or not. The students are able to clarify medical topics if there's info that isn't clear, since you're not really expected to at this stage know all of the ins and outs of the case.

The rest of the interview process includes learning more about the program, the location, and overall it was a relatively stress-free experience. All of the faculty and students were extremely friendly, easy to talk to, non-judgmental, and eager to hear more about you. I know it's easy to get stressed out during an interview, but they make it very easy to build rapport and before you know it, the interview is over and I found myself wanting to keep going a bit and talking longer with them. Nothing to worry about at all, I think you'll find this to be a very smooth interviewing experience
Omg thank you so much!! This is so helpful