2021-2022 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any current M3 or M4 Keck students that would be willing to answer questions?
I'm a current M2. Not your class of choice but willing to answer questions to the best of my ability!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Y’all get anything that comes included with tuition (laptop, tablet, Uworld etc)?
We get access to some 3rd party resources (I use Exam Master) but not UWorld. As for laptops, tablets, or anything else...nope

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We get access to some 3rd party resources (I use Exam Master) but not UWorld. As for laptops, tablets, or anything else...nope
Damn. Now I must save for an iPad and new laptop lol

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a current M2. Not your class of choice but willing to answer questions to the best of my ability!
Yay thank you!

I have a few questions so apologies in advance for length!

1. Is there any internal ranking at Keck? (like AOA, Dean's Letter phrasing, etc)
2. From what you might have heard from upperclassmen, are any of the rotations particularly toxic or stressful?
3. Did you or your classmates get any scholarships? Do a lot of people take out that 400k+ loan amount?
4. Do you feel like you've made a lot of friends in your class? Is everyone approachable?

Anyone getting calls? Edit: (Interviewed 11/16)

Last edited:
Pray for us expecting a call, Dr. Arias, hit me upppppp

• Care
When did you all interview? Interviewed 11/19 and was wondering if it's too soon to expect anything. Seems like a lot of ppl on this thread are getting calls closer to 4 weeks out rather than 2 weeks. Especially considering the Thanksgiving holiday...

When did you all interview? Interviewed 11/19 and was wondering if it's too soon to expect anything. Seems like a lot of ppl on this thread are getting calls closer to 4 weeks out rather than 2 weeks. Especially considering the Thanksgiving holiday...
I interviewed 11/3. The people who got an A last time interviewed the week before me so I'm wondering if they will call us today...

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 10/27 and still haven't heard anything...

I interviewed 11/3. The people who got an A last time interviewed the week before me so I'm wondering if they will call us today...
Yeah that definitely sounds more likely! Fingers crossed for you. It's hard to keep track of when they have interview dates so thanks for letting me know!

• Care
I GOT THE CALL!!! I'm crying, so many years of grinding and almost giving up so many times. I still can't believe it!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I also got the call from Dean Arias earlier! Interviewed 11/5- USC is such an amazing school, I’m beyond thrilled.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Received a non-spam call today from a 323 number. It was unreal to hear Dr. Arias on the other side saying I was accepted. Interviewed 11/2

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Yay thank you!

I have a few questions so apologies in advance for length!

1. Is there any internal ranking at Keck? (like AOA, Dean's Letter phrasing, etc)
2. From what you might have heard from upperclassmen, are any of the rotations particularly toxic or stressful?
3. Did you or your classmates get any scholarships? Do a lot of people take out that 400k+ loan amount?
4. Do you feel like you've made a lot of friends in your class? Is everyone approachable?
1. Yes. There is AOA for sure. I've heard that there's internal class ranking (that you will never find out about), but cannot 100% confirm
2. Stressful? The normal ones (surgery, IM, etc.), but I doubt that they're more stressful than other schools. Toxic rotations: I've haven't heard anything about toxic rotations at all!
3. A decent amount of my classmates got half scholarships. I personally did not and I will be taking on the full >$400k in loans.
4. Everyone in the class is dope af. Honestly, the reason why I chose Keck (apart from location) is bc the school just seemed chill. My classmates are really good at maintaining a work-life balance. Use the interview and secondary questions as a view into the chill school culture

1. Yes. There is AOA for sure. I've heard that there's internal class ranking (that you will never find out about), but cannot 100% confirm
2. Stressful? The normal ones (surgery, IM, etc.), but I doubt that they're more stressful than other schools. Toxic rotations: I've haven't heard anything about toxic rotations at all!
3. A decent amount of my classmates got half scholarships. I personally did not and I will be taking on the full >$400k in loans.
4. Everyone in the class is dope af. Honestly, the reason why I chose Keck (apart from location) is bc the school just seemed chill. My classmates are really good at maintaining a work-life balance. Use the interview and secondary questions as a view into the chill school culture
How do you apply/get scholarships?

How do you apply/get scholarships?
Don’t hold me to it but I think they’re recruitment scholarships. Only desirable students get them. Maybe some need based aid here and there, if the school has it.

Do people really interview here through March?! Complete late July, silence.

• Hmm
Thank you for answering these questions!

Don’t hold me to it but I think they’re recruitment scholarships. Only desirable students get them. Maybe some need based aid here and there, if the school has it.
Pretty much correct. I believe that they’re merit based scholarships. Have not heard of any need-based aid

I know LA is pretty expensive to live in. I live with my partner and dog so it’s important for us to live by ourselves. Are there any areas/neighborhoods you know of that might suit a couple looking for a one bedroom place?

Anyone else complete in early July and still have only gotten silence? I'm pretty confused because it seems like almost all early submitters have already gotten an II or an R

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone else complete in early July and still have only gotten silence? I'm pretty confused because it seems like almost all early submitters have already gotten an II or an R
Still waiting here too! I imagine this is a silent 'hold' type situation. Does Keck accept updates/letters of interest pre-II?

Based on last year's thread, there were still IIs being sent out to July submitters into the next year. A lot of them got the R at the end of April. I assume it's some kind of hold situation

Would you say most M1s live in Currie Hall? I really love running outside, so I'd prefer to be in a better neighborhood for that but I also wouldn't want to miss out on socializing with my cohort. Also, the train being right outside makes me a bit nervous for sleeping. Any thoughts on Currie?

Thanks so much!

Does anyone know when they send out interview information? My interview is early next week and I haven't received anything about the Zoom links yet.

Does anyone know when they send out interview information? My interview is early next week and I haven't received anything about the Zoom links yet.
I got the welcome session link almost a month before. Links for the interview itself showed up on portal right before the interview.

Would you say most M1s live in Currie Hall? I really love running outside, so I'd prefer to be in a better neighborhood for that but I also wouldn't want to miss out on socializing with my cohort. Also, the train being right outside makes me a bit nervous for sleeping. Any thoughts on Currie?

Thanks so much!
I’ve unfortunately heard some bad things about Currie regarding management and bugs. I hope someone can clarify.

I know LA is pretty expensive to live in. I live with my partner and dog so it’s important for us to live by ourselves. Are there any areas/neighborhoods you know of that might suit a couple looking for a one bedroom place?
Sorry for the late reply!

Currie Hall will let you live with a pet! Alhambra is really good. Monterey Park and South Pasadena are great choices as well. Highland park if you're into the night life but living might not be as comfortable.

• Love

Thanks so much!
Yes, most M1's live at currie hall! I ran half marathons last year and trained around currie. Definitely doable but of course gotta be safe. Live in phase 1 if you're worried about the train. I barely even hear the noise

Sorry for the late reply!

Currie Hall will let you live with a pet! Alhambra is really good. Monterey Park and South Pasadena are great choices as well. Highland park if you're into the night life but living might not be as comfortable.
Wait really?! I thought they had a no pets policy. Thank you for this insider information because I really want to get a pet:cool:

Got the pre-II R from MD ANDDDD MSTP program. 2 R's 1 email :,(

• Care
I emailed and was told that if no update has been received then the application is actively under consideration. Seems to be like a "hold." I was complete 7/4/21 and have not heard back either.
Complete 7/25/2021 and haven't heard anything yet. Is this just a soft R or do you think they haven't reviewed my file yet? I'm not too hopeful, but I'd like to hear back. From what I understand, they send rejections in waves, and don't wait until the end of the cycle to do it--is that correct?

Reactions: 5 users
I got an email that said I accepted offer of admission but was never asked for a deposit? There was no deposit fee for As, right?