2021-2022 University of Chicago (Pritzker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have no idea what to even expect. On one hand, maybe silence is good because we aren't rejected yet? Or maybe they are just waiting to reject us, who knows...

Reactions: 3 users
Still pretty early in the cycle so not worth stressing

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still pretty early in the cycle so not worth stressing
THIS^^^^^^^. Since Chicago is one of the very few schools sending out both IIs and Rs at this early date, the only thing for certain is that no news is no news. It's neither good nor bad, and there is no insight to be gained through speculation.

If you are complete, and haven't yet received an II or R, you have either been reviewed and put to the side with no action, or you haven't been reviewed yet. Neither is especially good or bad. As the adcoms like to say, patience is a virtue. Believe me, no one is less patient than me, but there really is nothing to do at this point except wait, and stressing definitely doesn't help.

Reactions: 7 users
THIS^^^^^^^. Since Chicago is one of the very few schools sending out both IIs and Rs at this early date, the only thing for certain is that no news is no news. It's neither good nor bad, and there is no insight to be gained through speculation.

If you are complete, and haven't yet received an II or R, you have either been reviewed and put to the side with no action, or you haven't been reviewed yet. Neither is especially good or bad. As the adcoms like to say, patience is a virtue. Believe me, no one is less patient than me, but there really is nothing to do at this point except wait, and stressing definitely doesn't help.
THISSS^^^^ was much needed, thank you so much. I don't know if anyone else can relate but ngl the no news across the board has started to get to me to the point where I find myself re-evaluating my entire application. Then I remember it's literally the beginning of August and I can't stress over 2 schools who have sent out their very first IIs. A long road ahead of us this year, wishing much success and even more patience to us all. <3

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
THISSS^^^^ was much needed, thank you so much. I don't know if anyone else can relate but ngl the no news across the board has started to get to me to the point where I find myself re-evaluating my entire application. Then I remember it's literally the beginning of August and I can't stress over 2 schools who have sent out their very first IIs. A long road ahead of us this year, wishing much success and even more patience to us all. <3
I'm going through the same exact thing. We are in this together, and it is worth keeping in mind that the cycle extends all the way into next spring and summer.

I'm not sure how representative this is of what happens at other schools, but Michigan is extraordinarily transparent in sharing its numbers, and I can't imagine its admissions office functions that differently than peer schools. Anyway, while they dribble IIs out over the course of several months (in 2018-19 it went from 7/16/18 through 1/14/19, and this year it just started yesterday), their 5-year tracker shows that of 495 IIs extended on average each year, 429 went to people who were complete in July and 48 in August. Yes - 87% of all IIs, for the entire cycle, go to people complete in July, with another 10% going to people complete in August! Assuming this comes anywhere close to tracking at other schools, A TON of successful applicants are complete very early but are not in the first few waves of IIs.

I think this makes sense on several levels. Only so many early applicants can be the "best among the best" and receive the very earliest of IIs, but, as the cycle drags on, they look better and better as compared to the later submissions. Add on top of that the fact that only so many applications can be reviewed in the very beginning in order to receive early IIs, and it all leads to the lack of early IIs for early completes to mean NOTHING in the absence of a R.

The Michigan numbers, plus the general advice from the adcoms that you really need to be complete by Labor Day to have the best shot, indicate that the vast majority of IIs are going to go to people complete in July and August, apparently because they tend to be the strongest applicants. This does not, however, mean they will receive their IIs in July or August, since schools can only get through so many applications during any given period of time.

As a result, it is extremely premature to get excited over the lack of IIs in early August. The common wisdom is to wait until Thanksgiving before even starting to freak out. This applies even if you are complete in early July, considering some schools will still be issuing IIs next March.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I'm going through the same exact thing. We are in this together, and it is worth keeping in mind that the cycle extends all the way into next spring and summer.

I'm not sure how representative this is of what happens at other schools, but Michigan is extraordinarily transparent in sharing its numbers, and I can't imagine its admissions office functions that differently than peer schools. Anyway, while they dribble IIs out over the course of several months (in 2018-19 it went from 7/16/18 through 1/14/19, and this year it just started yesterday), their 5-year tracker shows that of 495 IIs extended on average each year, 429 went to people who were complete in July and 48 in August. Yes - 87% of all IIs, for the entire cycle, go to people complete in July, with another 10% going to people complete in August! Assuming this comes anywhere close to tracking at other schools, A TON of successful applicants are complete very early but are not in the first few waves of IIs.

I think this makes sense on several levels. Only so many early applicants can be the "best among the best" and receive the very earliest of IIs, but, as the cycle drags on, they look better and better as compared to the later submissions. Add on top of that the fact that only so many applications can be reviewed in the very beginning in order to receive early IIs, and it all leads to the lack of early IIs for early completes to mean NOTHING in the absence of a R.

The Michigan numbers, plus the general advice from the adcoms that you really need to be complete by Labor Day to have the best shot, indicate that the vast majority of IIs are going to go to people complete in July and August, apparently because they tend to be the strongest applicants. This does not, however, mean they will receive their IIs in July or August, since schools can only get through so many applications during any given period of time.

As a result, it is extremely premature to get excited over the lack of IIs in early August. The common wisdom is to wait until Thanksgiving before even starting to freak out. This applies even if you are complete in early July, considering some schools will still be issuing IIs next March.
Just wanted to say thanks for this. I've been giving myself more anxiety than necessary over this cycle. Best of luck to all. :luck:

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you so much for this. I was feeling extremely low yesterday after not hearing from Michigan despite being complete on Day 2, and this really helped put things into perspective.

=

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got R’d too. Complete 7/1. Well that’s super disappointing 😞

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
First R of the cycle, feeling a little bummed as I really put a lot of time and thought into their secondary :/ complete 7/1

• Care
I’ve seen so many of you guys thriving in other threads, I know we will all end up where we need to be!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
First R of the cycle here too :cryi: complete 7/10

• Care
Just saw the R in my inbox too, sadness...

LM - 80.2
WARS ~ 92
Complete 7/5

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
It’s a selective school for sure - surprisingly not as bummed as I thought I’d be. Definitely sucks to get an R before an II. Makes me question my LORs but hey nothing I can do now. Anyone else who got rejected a CA resident?

• Care
It’s a selective school for sure - surprisingly not as bummed as I thought I’d be. Definitely sucks to get an R before an II. Makes me question my LORs but hey nothing I can do now. Anyone else who got rejected a CA resident?
CA resident! 🙋‍♀️

Did anyone who got a R have an MCAT below 522?

Any interviews for post 7/20 completion?

Last edited:
Mom come pick me up I'm scared 😅 Complete 7/10 but avoiding the R train so far

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
One of my current suitemates, who went here for undergrad, just caught an R this morning as well. Not sure wtf happened considering he worked with their population for 3+ years...high stat too.

• Sad
I find it kinda weird that they're being so bold with the Rs right off the bat, I mean they haven't even had a single interview yet...

I find it kinda weird that they're being so bold with the Rs right off the bat, I mean they haven't even had a single interview yet...
It has to be some sort of filter. Hard to say what it is though.

I wonder if it's a community service filter (ie, anyone with <500 hrs gets an R or something). Anyone get R'd with a lot of service?
Could be true. I got an II with 800 hrs volunteering with an under-resourced population. Seems very random though.

I wonder if it's a community service filter (ie, anyone with <500 hrs gets an R or something). Anyone get R'd with a lot of service?
Could be true. I got an II with 800 hrs volunteering with an under-resourced population. Seems very random though.
Funnily enough, I actually think community volunteering is a weak spot in my app and still got an II, so 'holistic' must extend even beyond that! I personally think leadership is my key component and I have a few unique ECs, but I truly don't think a single part of your app can count you out.

Oh, to be an adcom and know how the sausage gets made . . .

Yeah, doubtful about the service screen. I have essentially zero volunteering and got an II.

Probably dumb to suggest but maybe research? Has everyone whose gotten an II had strong research?

perhaps it could be regional location/school-ties?

perhaps it could be regional location/school-ties?
I have zero ties to the school and OOS. Just me though. This is really a headscratcher, looks like Pritzker MD is following the shady admissions practices of their college lmao.

• Haha
Funnily enough, I actually think community volunteering is a weak spot in my app and still got an II, so 'holistic' must extend even beyond that! I personally think leadership is my key component and I have a few unique ECs, but I truly don't think a single part of your app can count you out.

Oh, to be an adcom and know how the sausage gets made . . .
Yea, I've actually heard its leadership>research/pubs>service for most top schools. But it's tough to define what constitutes 'leadership' in their eyes; club officer won't cut it, eagle scout, maybe? Sports captain? Banking/consulting gap year?

Yea, I've actually heard its leadership>research/pubs>service for most top schools. But it's tough to define what constitutes 'leadership' in their eyes; club officer won't cut it, eagle scout, maybe? Sports captain? Banking/consulting gap year?
I have strong leadership (my app is entrepreneurship/business focused) and have received a lot of love so far from top programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leadership would make sense. I got R'd with >1000 hrs of clinical, >1000 hrs research, decent amount of service, and club leadership + teaching but nothing too crazy leadership-wise. Have IIs elsewhere so don't think there are any red flags, but I guess we just have no idea what schools are looking for behind the scenes.

I have strong leadership (my app is entrepreneurship/business focused) and have received a lot of love so far from top programs. Stats are high but nothing worth auto II'ing like a 525+
Do they actually make distinctions for MCAT scores past 522? like is 526>524? Or are they most concerned about keeping their medians where they are?