2021-2022 University of Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you, @McBainers for sharing the secondary prompts!

2021-2022 University of Houston Secondary Questions (slightly different from last year)

Section 1a (Yes or no questions with 300 Characters to explain that experience)
I have prior experience in a primary care setting
I have prior experience in a medical practice or social service for an underserved area
I have prior experience in community or public health

Section 2
Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application. (750 characters,
optional)

3. Describe up to 3 of your activities/life experiences that align with our mission. Explain how they might demonstrate a commitment to underserved communities. The examples you select must be included in TMDSAS primary application. Go to the UH College of Medicine missionfor more information. (1500 character limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone received a secondary yet?

Reactions: 1 user
No secondary here either and I submitted first day and was transmitted May 26th. Looking at last year's thread no one on SDN reported getting a secondary till early July so maybe we have to wait? 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On MSAR it says UH does not start screening until july 1st & they screen before sending secondary

Reactions: 2 users
What are the prompts?
I have prior experience in a medical practice or social service for an underserved area
Section 2
Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application. (750 characters, optional)
Describe up to 3 of your activities/life experiences that align with our mission. Explain how they might demonstrate a commitment to underserved communities. The examples you select must be included in TMDSAS primary application. Go to the UH College of Medicine mission for more information. (1500 character limit)

Reactions: 2 users
Do y'all think if my app was transmitted to them on the 26th and I haven't received a secondary it means I've been screened out?

Do y'all think if my app was transmitted to them on the 26th and I haven't received a secondary it means I've been screened out?
I don't think so. It's still very early in the game. I bet you'll get one soon don't lose hope yet it really is very early.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think so. It's still very early in the game. I bet you'll get one soon don't lose hope yet it really is very early.
You guys were right! I got a secondary today, so excited 😁

Submitted June 1st, Transmitted June 21st, and Secondary received June 24!

MS2 here. Ask me if you have any questions. Good luck to everyone on this cycle!

I've trying to find a comprehensive list of community service/medical outreach opportunities at UH, but I haven't been able to find anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look on the UH website?

I also want to mention that I received a secondary invite yesterday (6/24) at 10:44a. Submitted 5/17 and Transmitted 6/9 for anyone curious.

Thank you, @McBainers for sharing the secondary prompts!

2021-2022 University of Houston Secondary Questions (slightly different from last year)

Section 2
Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application. (750 characters,
optional)

3. Describe up to 3 of your activities/life experiences that align with our mission. Explain how they might demonstrate a commitment to underserved communities. The examples you select must be included in TMDSAS primary application. Go to the UH College of Medicine missionfor more information. (1500 character limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Question on section 2. Does this include the activity section of TMDSAS or just the essays? For example, if I listed an activity in the activity section but did not discuss it in any of the TMDSAS essays, will it be acceptable to talk about it?

Question on section 2. Does this include the activity section of TMDSAS or just the essays? For example, if I listed an activity in the activity section but did not discuss it in any of the TMDSAS essays, will it be acceptable to talk about it?
It says you can't talk about an activity not listed already in primary, i.e, you cant talk about an activity you didnt think important enough to add in the first place.

It is better if you didnt already discuss in detail but did list as one of your activities.

Section 2
Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application. (750 characters, optional)
Describe up to 3 of your activities/life experiences that align with our mission. Explain how they might demonstrate a commitment to underserved communities. The examples you select must be included in TMDSAS primary application. Go to the UH College of Medicine mission for more information. (1500 character limit)
What are some things that you should put in the optional essay prompt? I'm thinking about leaving it blank but not sure if that's the right move

What are some things that you should put in the optional essay prompt? I'm thinking about leaving it blank but not sure if that's the right move
I’m just an applicant but I took it as it asking if you had any external obligations that impacted your grades/degree. Did you have to work full time to support your family or self while in school? Did you have to be a full time care taker to a family member? These are just examples, it could be anything that you think had a significant impact on you receiving your education. I think it is truly optional. If it doesn’t apply just say not applicable

Can you use the same activities for question 1 and Question 3?

Submitted 6/2, transmitted 6/25, received 6/28. (in state)

Submitted 5/21, transmitted 6/4, received 6/24, in state

Is OB/GYN considered primary care? I shadowed one and I'm not if that would be a valid experience to list under primary care

Is OB/GYN considered primary care? I shadowed one and I'm not if that would be a valid experience to list under primary care
I’m just a pre-med so I could be wrong, but I don’t think so. OB/GYN is specialized for women’s health primary care is not really specialized it focuses on the things everyone needs like flu shots physicals etc so I would consider internal medicine, family medicine, and pediatrics primary care. However, I think @wysdoc would know a lot more about this than me as she’s currently practicing.

I’m just a pre-med so I could be wrong, but I don’t think so. OB/GYN is specialized for women’s health primary care is not really specialized it focuses on the things everyone needs like flu shots physicals etc so I would consider internal medicine, family medicine, and pediatrics primary care. However, I think @wysdoc would know a lot more about this than me as she’s currently practicing.
It depends on where you look up the definition of primary care -some do consider OB/GYN to be a part of primary care for women, other areas are IM, FM, and pediatrics.

I appreciate the response. I know that family medicine and internal medicine fell under primary care, but when I did some googling, some websites listed OB/GYN under primary care too. I'd love to hear @wysdoc input on this too!

Does anyone know how hard they screen/look at applications before they send a secondary?

Does anyone know how hard they screen/look at applications before they send a secondary?
Mission fit primarily. If they see good primary care experience you are likely to receive one. or underserved area volunteering.

Mission fit primarily. If they see good primary care experience you are likely to receive one. or underserved area volunteering.
It might also be a stats screen? i got mine 1 business day after transmitting with very minimal clinical experience

It might also be a stats screen? i got mine 1 business day after transmitting with very minimal clinical experience
on their website it says "Applications will be reviewed for alignment with the UH College of Medicine mission." and I don't have high stats

When do interview invites usually come out for this school?
And, this year they will be accepting 60 in lieu of 30 correct?

When do interview invites usually come out for this school?
And, this year they will be accepting 60 in lieu of 30 correct?
the class size is going to be 60 (per the FAQ page on the secondary). Last year I think their first II was sent on August 21

Does anyone know the email to request a fee waiver? I replied to the secondary invite which said they do waivers and then the email listed on their website but have not heard back for a week. Also, does the technical standards not load for others? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the fee, I don't know if they do a retroactive thing. If anyone has any advice, that would be awesome.

Does anyone know the email to request a fee waiver? I replied to the secondary invite which said they do waivers and then the email listed on their website but have not heard back for a week. Also, does the technical standards not load for others? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the fee, I don't know if they do a retroactive thing. If anyone has any advice, that would be awesome.
I emailed [email protected] and they waived my fee pretty quick, I think they processed the fee waiver in two or three days.

I emailed [email protected] and they waived my fee pretty quick, I think they processed the fee waiver in two or three days.
Hmm I emailed them this Monday on that email address and haven't heard back. Did you ask them about the process or just send in your documentation in that first email? I guess I can email them again but don't want to seem too pushy. Btw thanks for letting me know. I have about 6 days until the "2 week" deadline for the secondary.

Hmm I emailed them this Monday on that email address and haven't heard back. Did you ask them about the process or just send in your documentation in that first email? I guess I can email them again but don't want to seem too pushy. Btw thanks for letting me know. I have about 6 days until the "2 week" deadline for the secondary.
I sent in my documentation in the first email.

I have a question regarding the following secondary question: I have prior experience in community or public health

My research experience is exercise physiology related. However, our lab has a primary focus on inactivity. We found that the current American Heart Association guidelines for physical activity is not enough for disease prevention and health. Would I be able to say yes for this particular secondary question and talk about my research here?

I found out why it is so hard to get an interview or acceptance here. They just accept a few students they really like and clone them!

1626376134144.png

Just in case this wasn't already obvious, this is a joke.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users