2021-2022 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did the same thing yesterday. I am assuming "narrative" is the closest option to "update"
+1 I classified it as Narrative, though still included some expression of interest

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II this morning!! Very excited and thankful! Complete 7/24 as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II early this morning as well. Low/mid GPA and high MCAT URM. So surprised, I was advised on reddit to not apply to rush because my hours weren't competitive. About 600 clinical and 350 volunteer hours at time of application, 1000 clinical and 500 volunteer hours right now. Maybe I'm falling into the quality > quantity category, (vague as to not dox myself) my major volunteer commitment is a program for disadvantaged minority students I started in my own community that has been implemented at the district level.

Edit: OOS! and complete 8/29

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Maybe I survived the wave? but still silence...

Reactions: 7 users
complete since mid august and silence as well :( rly love this school

Reactions: 1 users
Just received a “your application is still under consideration” email

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+1

I think it's automatic honestly. There's another school where I get basically the same email every 3 weeks.

Has anyone sent an update? Letter of interest? If my updates aren't substantial, should I still send a letter of interest? I'm so confused about when to do it, etc. and everything I read seems to tell me something different haha.

+1

I think it's automatic honestly. There's another school where I get basically the same email every 3 weeks.

Has anyone sent an update? Letter of interest? If my updates aren't substantial, should I still send a letter of interest? I'm so confused about when to do it, etc. and everything I read seems to tell me something different haha.
I updated them that I submitted a publication about 2.5 months ago

I didn't receive a second round of emails and was complete around the same time...Does this mean I'm no longer under consideration?
you're probably fine. They usually send these out in waves randomly as it seems.

+1

Ultimately lots of people have lots of different opinions, so you might have to do what feels right for you! Since this school seems quite receptive to updates, I sent one 2 weeks ago just giving and update on my volunteering and some new tasks ive taken on at my current job. Nothing crazy substantial but just enough to say “hey im interested enough this school that im taking the time to write a letter becuase I do still want to go here!” But for other schools that seem to only want substantial changes, im holding off (until i have something substantial, like submitting a paper or starting a new jobs etc). Hope my (unprofessional) perspective helps a little. I also received both update emails. Target / good gpa but my mcat is on the lower end for Rush

A this morning - OOS, URM, cant believe it. Interviewed on 11/10

Last edited:
  • Love
+1 - That one kinda stings, knowing there’s really no WL movement from here.
I agree- looking at past thread it isn't as friendly of a WL school. I can't find any stats on matriculated students coming off WL on MSAR. Any idea what the numbers are for people coming off WL?

I agree- looking at past thread it isn't as friendly of a WL school. I can't find any stats on matriculated students coming off WL on MSAR. Any idea what the numbers are for people coming off WL?
I believe for the last 2 years the number has been like nearly 0 lmao. They even told us last year they wanted to pull 15-20 off the WL but then I don't think they pulled a single one hahah

• Wow
Reapplicant who was WL last year. I believe they had a priority waitlist and a normal waitlist. A couple of priority WL people may have gotten some As, but don't think anyone on the normal WL got off (including myself).

Would any current students mind if I PM them a few questions? Thanks!

I believe for the last 2 years the number has been like nearly 0 lmao. They even told us last year they wanted to pull 15-20 off the WL but then I don't think they pulled a single one hahah
I'm a current M1 and was pulled off the priority WL last year. I know it seems like hope is all but lost, but I am here to tell you it is possible! I know there weren't many, but there were a few last year (however, I must note that I am personally unaware of how the cycle is progressing this year/number of WL applicants). Just want to give you all a second wind of hope! I've loved my time at Rush and I definitely made the right choice!!

Ultimately lots of people have lots of different opinions, so you might have to do what feels right for you! Since this school seems quite receptive to updates, I sent one 2 weeks ago just giving and update on my volunteering and some new tasks ive taken on at my current job. Nothing crazy substantial but just enough to say “hey im interested enough this school that im taking the time to write a letter becuase I do still want to go here!” But for other schools that seem to only want substantial changes, im holding off (until i have something substantial, like submitting a paper or starting a new jobs etc). Hope my (unprofessional) perspective helps a little. I also received both update emails. Target / good gpa but my mcat is on the lower end for Rush
Thank you so much! These are great points. Trying to think about if I've taken on any new responsibilities at my job lol. Kinda sucks because I feel like I'm as busy as ever (non-trad — working full-time, class part-time, still volunteering), but all at the same places I was at when I sent my primary. I was actually recruited for a higher-up position at my company last month, but declined because it's more of a corporate position where I'd have to dress up every day and spend half my day in meetings. But now I'm like oh no! I should have taken that job for the sole purpose of having something to update these schools about!! I usually hate complainers but it feels a bit like these updates have gone from a "send if something huge happens" to another "requirement"/hoop to jump through. Anyway, I don't even know what my point was other than to vent lol so thank you for these tips, this was super helpful! Definitely gonna try to figure out which of my schools are most receptive to updates and go from there.

Just now getting the 2nd update email lol I should’ve expected it but still got heart palpitations from that email notification

Just now getting the 2nd update email lol I should’ve expected it but still got heart palpitations from that email notification
+1 hahah I also got nervous cus I thought it was an R

+1 hahah I also got nervous cus I thought it was an R

HAHAHA me too, this line specifically made me horrified reading the notification on my screen, “Thank you for considering Rush Medical College as an institution to pursue your medical education.”

In all fairness, I know some hate these emails but honestly I like them better than the cold silence of other schools that won’t reject me already.

Reactions: 9 users
Rush is actually an acronym:

R -
Update Emails
S -
Heart Attacks

I lied about the R and S btw

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
Rush is actually an acronym:

R -
Update Emails
S -
Heart Attacks

I lied about the R and S btw
R - “Rush” to open my e-mail
U - Update email…
S - See my blood pressure rising, can’t feel my left arm
H- Heart attack

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I'm a current M1 and was pulled off the priority WL last year. I know it seems like hope is all but lost, but I am here to tell you it is possible! I know there weren't many, but there were a few last year (however, I must note that I am personally unaware of how the cycle is progressing this year/number of WL applicants). Just want to give you all a second wind of hope! I've loved my time at Rush and I definitely made the right choice!!
There were 0 taken off normal waitlist.

When I applied in 2019 (2 cycles ago) they had an active consideration option, which last year became priority waitlist. Seems like this year neither of those exist. Its just waitlist?

For those who didn't get off priority list, or active consideration: no one got off at end of cycle.

But it sounds ike they may be doing it differently again here.

Last edited:
II on 12/3 complete 7/23 IS/ORM 517/3.85 woooo first II!!! Since I also received that “update” email on 12/2, I thought it meant my application had bee actually opened and looked at again, but seems that’s not the case since so many of you also received it. At any rate, there’s still hope!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
There were 0 taken off normal waitlist.

When I applied in 2019 (2 cycles ago) they had an active consideration option, which last year became priority waitlist. Seems like this year neither of those exist. Its just waitlist?

For those who didn't get off priority list, or active consideration: no one got off at end of cycle.

But it sounds ike they may be doing it differently again here.
There is a priority waitlist again.
Source: I am currently on the priority waitlist :/

I did email Alyssa with admissions about a week ago, inquiring about the difference between the priority vs. regular waitlist this year. Unfortunately, she said that this year, they will likely not be pulling off anyone from either waitlist until after their class size drops below 144. It seems that the past 2 years, they have inadvertently overfilled their class. So this year they are trying to prevent that from happening. It makes me wonder what is even the point of a priority waitlist this year, if you can no longer get accepted off it before ~March-April anyway. Oh well.

Received an II for here today but will be withdrawing my application. Having my fingers crossed and sending good vibes, luck, and love to all of you!!!

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Received an II for here today but will be withdrawing my application. Having my fingers crossed and sending good vibes, luck, and love to all of you!!!
Wooh! Do you mind if I ask when you were complete?

PS congrats on all those A's!!! Incredible!

• Love
Wooh! Do you mind if I ask when you were complete?

PS congrats on all those A's!!! Incredible!
Yeah absolutely. I was complete 7/21!

And thank you so much!! I appreciate it ❤️