2021-2022 Mayo Clinic, Rochester (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think someone posted about it earlier. Found it: post #437

Another poster also mentioned that many of the "highly ranked" emails come out in early February.

Ok, just to be clear, did anyone get a promising email after interviews? I got a neutral email (post-interview) that I was rated (but not ranked?). It would not make sense to me that they already ranked people if they are not done interviewing and ranking everyone...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, just to be clear, did anyone get a promising email after interviews? I got a neutral email (post-interview) that I was rated (but not ranked?). It would not make sense to me that they already ranked people if they are not done interviewing and ranking everyone...
+1 on the neutral, scored email after my interview. One of the M1s responded to my earlier comment about ranked emails and said that they send them in Jan/Feb. I guess it makes sense because that’s when they are wrapping up interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
So did everyone who interviewed get that coffee cup gift in the mail after their interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys send thank you emails to your interviewers directly, or just upload them to the portal?

Reactions: 1 user
Did you guys send thank you emails to your interviewers directly, or just upload them to the portal?
Portal. From what I remember at interview day, they specifically requested this is how we submit them.

For those who already uploaded letters of interest, who are you addressing them to?

kind of a random question, but how do we know what campus we're being considered for? I interviewed for a 2+2, but I'm wondering which split it will be --- will it be the top choice I indicated in the app?

kind of a random question, but how do we know what campus we're being considered for? I interviewed for a 2+2, but I'm wondering which split it will be --- will it be the top choice I indicated in the app?
You are considered for all campuses for which you indicated interest.

do people know anything about changing their preferences? has that ever been done post-interview/ are they receptive?

has anyone had post II communication aside from the poster asking about the highly ranked letter last month?

Members don't see this ad :)
do people know anything about changing their preferences? has that ever been done post-interview/ are they receptive?
Do it as soon as possible if you're going to do it. At worse, they say "no."
has anyone had post II communication aside from the poster asking about the highly ranked letter last month?
Don't read into this too much. Whether or not you get post-II communication depends on your interviewer -- doesn't necessarily have anything to do with you.

Just recieved an email to send a LOI if have not done so already.

Reactions: 6 users
I also received the application update email asking us to send an update or LOI. If I already sent a LOI about a week after I interviewed in October, should I send anything else to confirm that they’re still my top choice?

I also received the application update email asking us to send an update or LOI. If I already sent a LOI about a week after I interviewed in October, should I send anything else to confirm that they’re still my top choice?
My take is that they just sent this email to everyone so people know when to get letters in by. I'm sure they don't even look at updates until they pick up each app upon making the final decision. If nothing's changed from ur last letter, don't send a new one. If you're waitlisted then maybe send another

Just my two cents, I'm only an applicant so what do I know lol

Me thinking I was getting a "highly ranked" email :clown:

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone else's interviewer(s) reached out to chat post-interview? One of mine emailed me last week asking if I had any questions about Mayo that they could answer.

To the people who received a recent email from their interviewers, had you sent mayo a letter of intent?

Has anyone else's interviewer(s) reached out to chat post-interview? One of mine emailed me last week asking if I had any questions about Mayo that they could answer.
How long ago did you interview? Like was this pretty soon after or was there some time in between?

Just as another perspective, I have had no post-II communication; interviewed back in September; sent LOIntent around then too.

Should we reply to these communications? I don't really have any questions, but it seems like I should say something at least, right?
Slightly different situation but I'd say it still applies. When I had a student reach out I basically said that due to the communication that I've had with others that I didn't have any questions but that I would reach out if anything came up. I think it's good to say something to them but you don't necessarily have to make up something if you genuinely don't have a question.

LOintent submitted in December, interviewed in September with letter of interest sent shortly thereafter. No Post II communication from faculty, rather I reached out to those I needed to feel comfortable with my decision (faculty, staff, and students). Their replies were awesome and felt genuine in comparison to others. Here's to hoping they see my commitment and interests are real. My advice would be don't sweat it, submit the letters you feel are genuinely YOU not what you predict they want to see.

• Love
LOintent submitted in December, interviewed in September with letter of interest sent shortly thereafter. No Post II communication from faculty, rather I reached out to those I needed to feel comfortable with my decision (faculty, staff, and students). Their replies were awesome and felt genuine in comparison to others. Here's to hoping they see my commitment and interests are real. My advice would be don't sweat it, submit the letters you feel are genuinely YOU not what you predict they want to see.
Preach! They are most definitely looking for genuinely interested students.

Did anyone get an invite to a neurosurgery journal club?

Quick question to anyone who may know the answer: while sending my LOI, I realized my post-interview thank you letters were just sitting in my email not sent (I thought I had scheduled them for the next morning). Anyway, I didn't send it through email like I'd thought or through the portal. I know Mayo is pretty big on this, but how badly would this affect my chances?

Quick question to anyone who may know the answer: while sending my LOI, I realized my post-interview thank you letters were just sitting in my email not sent (I thought I had scheduled them for the next morning). Anyway, I didn't send it through email like I'd thought or through the portal. I know Mayo is pretty big on this, but how badly would this affect my chances?

I'm fairly certain that you have nothing to worry about, though I'm not a current student so my expertise is shoddy at best. My bet is that a letter will show the level of interest needed for them to make the decision. How did you feel in the interviews? Good communication/rapport?

I'm fairly certain that you have nothing to worry about, though I'm not a current student so my expertise is shoddy at best. My bet is that a letter will show the level of interest needed for them to make the decision. How did you feel in the interviews? Good communication/rapport?
Yeah, the interviews both went well. I didn't have any post-interview communication from my interviewers though so now I'm guessing that could be due to my absent thank you letters. I know other schools don't weigh things like thank you letters and LOIs, but Mayo does (from what I've read on past Mayo pages), which is what concerns me.

Yeah, the interviews both went well. I didn't have any post-interview communication from my interviewers though so now I'm guessing that could be due to my absent thank you letters. I know other schools don't weigh things like thank you letters and LOIs, but Mayo does (from what I've read on past Mayo pages), which is what concerns me.
Depends on your interviewer. Some care more than others. It generally won't make or break your application. For many interviewers, no thank you letter is less a negative and more of a missed opportunity for you to demonstrate interest and show your interviewer that you were paying attention.

Is it excessive to send another letter of intent if one was sent last month?

Current student here. No, it's not excessive, especially if Mayo asked you for a letter outlining your interest - as it could have changed since last month. I know lots of students here sent multiple LOIs over the course of their application cycle.

I’ve never been this anxious for Valentines Day in my life 😅😅

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I only remember being this nervous with my 1st grade crush....back when Valentine's only required notes and not letters

• Haha
Sending good vibes to you all! I know first-hand how nerve-wracking this time period is, so remember to step away from your computers and spend time (whether virtually or in-person) with the people that you care about. And if you don't get the call this month, don't lose hope because the waitlist isn't a dead end :) Good luck and I hope to see you here next year! :) Pack a warm coat- you'll need it!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Guess I'll be the first one with the neuroses to go.....anyone receive the highly ranked emails yet? Looks like last year around this time they hit everyone's inboxes.

Reactions: 5 users
Guess I'll be the first one with the neuroses to go.....anyone receive the highly ranked emails yet? Looks like last year around this time they hit everyone's inboxes.
To be honest, it doesn’t really look like they’re doing them this year. Assuming they haven’t already been sent out, it seems strange that they would wait to send them until like a week before decisions.

Reactions: 7 users
I got an email that said they loved my application and are really interested in me. That happened last month.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Did y’all receive this from individual interviewers, admissions committee, or the Deans?

Did anyone get an email from a dean after already having sent a letter of intent?