2021-2022 Hackensack Meridian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I see some have submitted the secondary already, did you pre-write it? How many words did you end up with for each prompt?
I prewrote and ended up with about 470 words per answer (out of the 500 max)

Members don't see this ad.

Does HMSOM screens or sends out secondaries to everyone that completed a primary?
Hackensack Meridian sends a secondary to all verified applicants.

So I submitted my secondary but I saw their LOR requirement needing a letter from a medical professional. I have a LOR from a clinical research site manager, do you guys think this would work? If not, I have a LOR from a DO but I didn't submit it with my AMCAS since I thought it wouldn't be required form any school. Could I send Hackensack an update with the DO LOR?
Is the site manager a health professional or are they mostly performing administrative duties? Regarding your second question, you can add letters to AMCAS at any time and transmit them to schools.

did you receive a complete email after finishing the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take you to write up and submit? Considering you work and volunteer…what’s an “acceptable” turn in time?

Anyone know if they're firm on the LOR requirements? I don't have a medical professional letter. Betting I just shouldn't bother with this secondary.
Ask them, they will probably let it slide.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an M2, can answer questions that you have.
Is it "easy" to find research opportunities? I am interested in cardiology and electrophysiology and would like to continue this in med school if possible!

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Is it "easy" to find research opportunities? I am interested in cardiology and electrophysiology and would like to continue this in med school if possible!

Thank you!
It's specialty-dependent. Should be quite easy in a specialty like cardiology. I know of a couple of attendings working in electrophysiology so I don't see that being an issue for you should you attend.

It's specialty-dependent. Should be quite easy in a specialty like cardiology. I know of a couple of attendings working in electrophysiology so I don't see that being an issue for you should you attend.
do you know about any research opps in neuroscience/neurology? and do you know how they feel about external fellowships in research especially during phase 3 of the curriculum?

do you know about any research opps in neuroscience/neurology? and do you know how they feel about external fellowships in research especially during phase 3 of the curriculum?
Another specialty where there are many opportunities. Not sure about the external fellowships in phase 3 but I would be surprised if they didn't allow it.

Where do medical students typically live in/around campus?
Nutley, Bloomfield, Clifton would be the most common. Note that you may have to move when you go into clinical because half of the class is assigned to the south-central region which the clinical sites are more in the Monmouth/ ocean county area

Do we need to click "I'm done uploading documents" after uploading our photo? I don't wanna get locked out of sending updates...

Just submitted the secondary. Just to be clear, did anyone else not receive any type of confirmation? Not even for the payment.

for third question, is it okay to talk about covid (Regarding mcat, online classes, etc)?

for third question, is it okay to talk about covid (Regarding mcat, online classes, etc)?
One of the examples they gave was overcoming adversity - if that’s what the essay’s theme or even if it reflects anything about you as a person, go for it! The third essay is just a diversity prompt - but they made it more broad so you could essentially put whatever

Just submitted the secondary. Just to be clear, did anyone else not receive any type of confirmation? Not even for the payment.
Same here. No confirmation for the submission nor the payment.

Reactions: 3 users
One of the examples they gave was overcoming adversity - if that’s what the essay’s theme or even if it reflects anything about you as a person, go for it! The third essay is just a diversity prompt - but they made it more broad so you could essentially put whatever
From my understanding, I saw this question as your steps in obtaining medical experiences

Just submitted secondary!

Reactions: 3 users
From my understanding, I saw this question as your steps in obtaining medical experiences
Yeah, that is what I am getting too. For this question, I am taking the approach of kinda condensing my resume/PS into 500 words. Painting the picture of why I got into medicine and what experiences have furthered that interest and prepared me for the field. Keeping it more straightforward.

Do you think it would be annoying to the admissions office if I were to send an email seeking confirmation that my file is complete and ready for review?

Or would that be perfectly acceptable?
bruh

For students at HMSOM, do you enjoy the HD curriculum? How has that experience been for you? On their website they mention they structure each week's curriculum around a patient case. How exactly does this work and do you like it? Lastly, how is Hackensack in general? What's the feel of the town?

Thank You!

Just received email stating that they have received secondary app and that it is now in preliminary review! Email mentions that if they notice I am missing anything from my app, they will send me an email update. Also says to allow for 3-6 weeks for prelim review.

Submitted 08/04.

Reactions: 4 users
I just got an an email saying they received my application and its now under preliminary review!

Just received email confirmation that my application has been moved to "preliminary review." submitted secondary 8/4

Reactions: 2 users
Just received email stating that they have received secondary app and that it is now in preliminary review! Email mentions that if they notice I am missing anything from my app, they will send me an email update. Also says to allow for 3-6 weeks for prelim review.

Submitted 08/04.
+1

Anyone know what the “First Phase Review Complete” means? I got this email shortly after the “Preliminary Review” email.
Does this mean they’re now starting to look at my file OR that they already started, and I’ve passed like some first step (of many)?

Thanks!

Anyone know what the “First Phase Review Complete” means? I got this email shortly after the “Preliminary Review” email.
Does this mean they’re now starting to look at my file OR that they already started, and I’ve passed like some first step (of many)?

Thanks!
when were you complete?

Thanks!
Wondering the same!

when were you complete?
Primary before app release (06/25)
Secondary received 08/04
Secondary sent 08/04
“Preliminary Review” email received 08/11
“First Phase Review Complete” email received 08/11

Secondary received 08/04
Secondary sent 08/04
“Preliminary Review” email received 08/11
“First Phase Review Complete” email received 08/11
gotcha mine is:
Secondary received 08/04
Secondary sent 08/10
“Preliminary Review” email received 08/10

haven't received the other

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students give more insight to the Phase 2 and 3 curriculum?

Thanks!
+1, It seems like they're looking at the individual components of the app at different times? Not sure though