2020-2021 Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reply. I figured I could make it work, although I'm not actually sure what I learned from white Vermonters. I've been trying to think of this, but nothing exactly comes to mind. I really want to finish this secondary too, since UVM is one of my top choices.

Another thought that randomly came to me is talking about my experience working "as a ski bum" which I did for a little while after college. I've always been a person who is "looking towards the next thing" which is good because it keeps me ambitious but often leads to me not fully appreciating the moment. While bumming it out a bit, I met a ton of people who were just truly content with their situation. Sure we might not have had prestigious jobs or anything, but we were in an awesome location, living a life that a lot of people dream about. I was often thinking towards the future, while they were just happy being in the mountains. I've been trying to adopt their viewpoint a little bit, while still working towards my goals of course. Not sure if that would work, but its a thought.
I have a rural background and it's definitely been my experience that many of my former friends and classmates felt a similar contentment to what you're describing. I think you could write about that sort of thing, but just be careful not to come across as pretentious (e.g. I'm ambitious and they're lazy). UVM is one of my top choices too - good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Incoming M1 here! Feel free to DM me with any application questions or questions about the school!

How is everyone using the additional comments essay? Do you think it’s fine to just talk about gap year plans?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else's letters/CASPER still not marked as received?

I was hoping that they would change the second essay, but alas. I've been thinking about that one for a while and I don't know how to answer it. I'm wondering if I could somehow modify my traditional diversity essay (which is about growing up as one of the few POC in Vermont) and make it fit their prompt?

I'm totally having issues with this too. Even though it's not directly what the question is asking I feel like I have to talk about learning something from someone I don't like. And I get along with most people so all I can think of is politics and I reeeeally don't wanna talk about politics.

I'm totally having issues with this too. Even though it's not directly what the question is asking I feel like I have to talk about learning something from someone I don't like. And I get along with most people so all I can think of is politics and I reeeeally don't wanna talk about politics.
What makes you think you have to discuss people you don't like? If you get along with everyone, surely you've interacted with diverse people. How have the people you've met -- with their unique identities -- helped you learn about yourself and become more open-minded?

I wrote what I think is a strong essay about learning from people very different from me, but who I've always gotten along with. I don't think the question has to stem from some disagreement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am marked complete on the portal but did not receive a complete email. is this normal?
There is no complete email sent

they’ll just send a received email once you’ve submitted your secondary

also I don’t see that I’m under review anywhere on my app

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they prefer UVM or LCOM in abbreviations? It seems like they go by both on their website

For the challenge essay, do you all think it would be acceptable to discuss a general challenge I faced when I was younger, like being bullied? Or are they looking more for a one time experience, since they state "include a description of the stressful event"?

For the challenge essay, do you all think it would be acceptable to discuss a general challenge I faced when I was younger, like being bullied? Or are they looking more for a one time experience, since they state "include a description of the stressful event"?
Pick something more specific and more recent.

When should we expect to receive interview invitations ?

Pick something more specific and more recent.

I wrote about something less recent, but it was a long-term childhood illness. It really depends on HOW much it impacts you today.

You will love the donuts and apple cider on interview day. Christmas in Vermont is extraordinary.
Now it's only fair that they mail us these items for Zoom interviews...

Reactions: 4 users
Question for current students and those familiar with the area: what is cost of living like in Burlington? I read online that it's actually pricier than a lot of people expect.

I have no clue when exactly my speeding ticket was senior year of high school or how fast I was going. How specific do I need to be in my description?

I have no clue when exactly my speeding ticket was senior year of high school or how fast I was going. How specific do I need to be in my description?

I think I wrote one sentence, like "In 20xx I received a ticket for going xx mph in a xx mph zone." I couldn't remember either so I just got my driving record from my state's DMV (it was like $10) to double-check.

Thanks for the reply. I figured I could make it work, although I'm not actually sure what I learned from white Vermonters. I've been trying to think of this, but nothing exactly comes to mind. I really want to finish this secondary too, since UVM is one of my top choices.

Another thought that randomly came to me is talking about my experience working "as a ski bum" which I did for a little while after college. I've always been a person who is "looking towards the next thing" which is good because it keeps me ambitious but often leads to me not fully appreciating the moment. While bumming it out a bit, I met a ton of people who were just truly content with their situation. Sure we might not have had prestigious jobs or anything, but we were in an awesome location, living a life that a lot of people dream about. I was often thinking towards the future, while they were just happy being in the mountains. I've been trying to adopt their viewpoint a little bit, while still working towards my goals of course. Not sure if that would work, but its a thought.

Nice. My husband and I bummed around Park City for awhile. Both chefs. Skied like 150 days a year lol.

Nice. My husband and I bummed around Park City for awhile. Both chefs. Skied like 150 days a year lol.

Nice! If I was smarter I would have bummed in Alta with their 550 inches of snow a season. Alas, I settled for only 300.

How long did it take to receive secondary? Added them to verified primary 8/12

I have the same question. I was verified 8/8 and have yet to receive a secondary OOS
My primary application was processed completely on June 5th, then had to wait for the data transmission date on July 10th. Got a secondary from Vermont on July 13th.

II today! 3.8/516/half urm/OOS but with real strong ties to VT.

Complete on 7/24

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
II just now! URM, OOS

Complete 8/7

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Congrats!! Kill that interview!
(also thanks for all the info up front :))

Thanks! Yeah I figured it's nice to hear people's stats and complete dates.

I'm excited about this interview. I think it'll be a lot easier to convince an adcom of my interest in the school when I've spent 90% of my life within a few miles of it.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the II's!! Judging off all the stats shared looks like all URM invites only being reported so far?