2020-2021 University of Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m terrified something went wrong with my AMCAS application. Took me a month to get my UCLA secondary (they do an holistic screen). If/until I get my first II at an AMCAS school, I’m going to be in this hyper-agitated state.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m terrified something went wrong with my AMCAS application. Took me a month to get my UCLA secondary (they do an holistic screen). If/until I get my first II at an AMCAS school, I’m going to be in this hyper-agitated state.
It’s so hard not to freak out when II are starting to get sent out. I’ve been checking sdn & the interview tracker sheet nonstop... and this is just the beginning :(

Reactions: 1 users
It’s so hard not to freak out when II are starting to get sent out. I’ve been checking sdn & the interview tracker sheet nonstop... and this is just the beginning :(

From what I see on other forums and threads, they interview high stats, URM, linkage programs etc first. Rest of us have to wait out turn. Goro said it
best, control what you can and let everything else be. No use worrying what you could have done better or what not :)

For reference, I submitted on 7-30-20, but my stats aren't as high. So, yes I am a bit bummed out for now, but what can we do? Might as well enjoy the ride and be productive in the mean time :)

Reactions: 4 users
From what I see on other forums and threads, they interview high stats, URM, linkage programs etc first. Rest of us have to wait out turn. Goro said it
best, control what you can and let everything else be. No use worrying what you could have done better or what not :)

For reference, I submitted on 7-30-20, but my stats aren't as high. So, yes I am a bit bummed out for now, but what can we do? Might as well enjoy the ride and be productive in the mean time :)

I fit that criteria... time to freakout?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

I hate how this makes me sound but one of the reasons I'm getting worried is bc my stats are pretty similar to those of the folks who've been getting II's. Ofc it's all a waiting game though, and by no means at all do stats entitle anyone to an interview. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes, but there are always so many "what if's" that I cannot seem to escape for the life of me

Last edited:
I fit that criteria... time to freakout?
I hate how this makes me sound but one of the reasons I'm getting worried is bc my stats are pretty similar to those of the folks who've been getting II's. Ofc it's all a waiting game though, and by no means at all do stats entitle anyone to an interview. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes, but there are always so many "what if's" that I cannot seem to escape for the life of me

O yeah, by no means am I dismissing your fears and concerns. Don't get me wrong. It's perfectly rational to feel like this, especially given the amount of work it took to get everything in relatively early on time. I'm just saying try to see the big picture and focus elsewhere, as excessive worries won't help and is not healthy. I'm happy for those who got II and hope we all get II soon :)

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I think we all need to take a double dose of melatonin tonight with an extra shot of benadryl and get some heavy sleep.

I've been so stressed out lately that sometimes I notice I'm forgetting to breathe (I wish I was joking, lol)

We'll all get through this cycle. I'm mega impressed with some of you peeps on SDN. You seriously have nothing to worry about!

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I think we all need to take a double dose of melatonin tonight with an extra shot of benadryl and get some heavy sleep.

I've been so stressed out lately that sometimes I notice I'm forgetting to breathe (I wish I was joking, lol)

We'll all get through this cycle. I'm mega impressed with some of you peeps on SDN. You seriously have nothing to worry about!

This is facts. I'm always talking to my friends about the importance of self-care but need to do better at it myself LOL

• Care
For even the most competitive applicants, we are all subject to the biases of our reviewers. You really have to keep this in mind for every school you apply to. Some schools will be moved by the totality of your application, while others may not be. It's really something that is out of your control. But this is exactly why we have to be as much ourselves as possible on these applications. If we show ourselves to schools and they don't choose us, that's not a bad thing. It may even be a good thing because we are probably a much better fit elsewhere.

But I think the biggest thing to realize is that we are still at the VERY BEGINNING of the application season. Receiving an interview a bit later does NOT mean you are a less competitive applicant. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. There are so many nuances that determine these decisions. If you try to figure them it, it'll drive you mad. And I'm able to give this advice because this is also something I have had to tell myself on multiple occasions because - let's be real - medicine kind of selects for the more anxious types lol. Anyway, everything will be fine!

• Care
Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Indicative of the sort of supportive community SDN is supposed to be. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Man this thread is WAY better than some of the others one (aka Drexel) :rofl: It definitely is still early in the cycle and if you look at the tracker, they have sent interviews to a wide range of MCAT Scores so who knows! Also, with the pandemic, it is really hard to know how they are reviewing things this year. I completely agree with not worrying about things outside of your control, this is such a long and stressful process that it will become draining if you keep worrying about that stuff. Just keep your heads up and try to stay positive! We got this!

Reactions: 2 users
Man this thread is WAY better than some of the others one (aka Drexel) :rofl: It definitely is still early in the cycle and if you look at the tracker, they have sent interviews to a wide range of MCAT Scores so who knows! Also, with the pandemic, it is really hard to know how they are reviewing things this year. I completely agree with not worrying about things outside of your control, this is such a long and stressful process that it will become draining if you keep worrying about that stuff. Just keep your heads up and try to stay positive! We got this!
Well now I have to go read Drexel’s thread

Reactions: 1 user
Hahah it is a lot of negativity and what feels to me like people gunning and discouraging people from applying so they have a better chance.
That is my least favorite type of person on here :( On another school's thread, I tried to have a discussion about the wording of a question to see how people were answering it, and got tons of replies saying basically "If this question bothers you, don't even apply." People can criticize schools and still want to get that sweet M.D. somewhere :)

O yeah, by no means am I dismissing your fears and concerns. Don't get me wrong. It's perfectly rational to feel like this, especially given the amount of work it took to get everything in relatively early on time. I'm just saying try to see the big picture and focus elsewhere, as excessive worries won't help and is not healthy. I'm happy for those who got II and hope we all get II soon :)
This is a super nice take, thank you for being so supportive of everyone :happy:

if it makes any of you feel better my app won't be marked complete for another 3 weeks since my MCAT was cancelled three times from covid and the riots lol.

• Sad
if it makes any of you feel better my app won't be marked complete for another 3 weeks since my MCAT was cancelled three times from covid and the riots lol.
i don't think anyone being in unfortunate circumstances makes us feel better! i hope it all works out for you!

Just got the II! Honestly speechless.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
interview invite received!!!! so happy

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Congrats!!! When were you complete/stats?
FYI I'm not sure they really do it in order of completion. I'm not sure what kinda magic goes on behind the scenes lol. I was complete 07/26 and got an interview last week. Complete date probably isn't as big of a factor if you completed any time in July.

Incoming neurotic question lol... does the status change from "Your application is ready." to "...under review" when someone begins reading it?

Just noticing that some schools have different ways of phrasing this, anyone know if it means anything at all?

Anyone know if they're adding more later dates? Only interview dates I see are in October, none in November or December.

I just finished this secondary after sitting on it for over a month

feelsbadman.jpg

I just finished this secondary after sitting on it for over a month

feelsbadman.jpg

Same here. I did a little worse on my MCAT than my FLs, and know that UChicago is state whorey, so decided to prioritize other schools lol

^ Does that mean they've given out most of their interviews, if the earliest available date is mid-October?

Edit: nvm, I think I'm just being neurotic

Last edited:
II! MSTP, 3.68/3.8 s/cGPA, 520 MCAT, OOS, complete 7/21. Interview in mid October.

Reactions: 4 users
Do y’all think I should be worried about a red flag in my app if I haven’t gotten an II with 3.94/527, complete 8/3. It took my about 2.5 weeks to get the secondary in so I’m also wondering if that’s the issue? Probably just being neurotic but wanted some opinions.

Do y’all think I should be worried about a red flag in my app if I haven’t gotten an II with 3.94/527, complete 8/3. It took my about 2.5 weeks to get the secondary in so I’m also wondering if that’s the issue? Probably just being neurotic but wanted some opinions.
I wouldn't worry about it. You are complete later than most people getting interviews.

Each school's AdCom is looking for different types of candidates, so it's fairly uncommon for anyone, even with your amazing stats, to get II from all the schools that they apply to. I wouldn't say that there are red flags based on not getting an II from one school.... if you don't have any interview invites by November/December, then I'd be concerned about red flags.

If I’ve learned anything this cycle so far, it’s that stats are not nearly enough and that some schools are shifting toward valuing ECs more than stats, which if I had known earlier I would have focused less on grades/MCAT and more on my ECs

Each school's AdCom is looking for different types of candidates, so it's fairly uncommon for anyone, even with your amazing stats, to get II from all the schools that they apply to. I wouldn't say that there are red flags based on not getting an II from one school.... if you don't have any interview invites by November/December, then I'd be concerned about red flags.

Yeah I’m not worried about getting II’s everywhere I know that won’t happen lmao. UChicago’s just my #1 dream school so it’s the only one I’m really on the look out for! But thanks that makes me feel better!

If I’ve learned anything this cycle so far, it’s that stats are not nearly enough and that some schools are shifting toward valuing ECs more than stats, which if I had known earlier I would have focused less on grades/MCAT and more on my ECs

I actually have good EC’s which is part of why I’m sort of nervous but based on all these comments I’m gonna try to put it out my mind and chill!

I actually have good EC’s which is part of why I’m sort of nervous but based on all these comments I’m gonna try to put it out my mind and chill!

Well, then you’re a superstar and you’re going to get into a T10/20 somewhere

@srstudent @sc575 - chill. It is way too early to stress out and speculate about ECs vs grades etc. In fact, even in the last year's cycle - there was a close acquaintance who had extremely high stats and a great overall resume, but did not get any good II till extremely late in the season. Ended up with offers from four of the top 10 in the end. So, chill.

Reactions: 7 users