2020-2021 University of Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what types of “coping skills” are people talking about? i feel like i can’t think of any but trying on my support system, but that’s kinda covered by the other part of the question
I think it really depends on the situation, how it is affecting you, and what's available and beneficial for you with regards to short- and long-term coping. I talked about a challenging situation that happened in the middle of a shift (not a hospital shift; it was non-medical shift-work). I mentioned using vigorous exercise to knock down stress-levels when they climb. I also mentioned using breathing techniques for a "quick fix" when I couldn't necessarily go for a 30-minute run right then and there. Basically, I tried to mention one coping skill for short-term relief of stress, and one coping skill for long-term. Talking to support system, I think does fall into a coping skill too, like you said. You could mention any hobbies/activities you use to keep your stress-levels in the "green" - music, outside activities, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

what types of “coping skills” are people talking about? i feel like i can’t think of any but trying on my support system, but that’s kinda covered by the other part of the question

Exercise, talking with friends, recognizing negative thought patterns, thinking about the big picture etc.

Reactions: 1 user
do you think we have to talk about a "support person" for the challenge essay? i personally didn't have one in my story, wondering if they'll care...

I just pasted my challenge essay in and then added a couple sentences about what coping skills I used, and how my "support person" helped me use the coping skills. Two sentences in one of my body paragraphs and then a few words/sentence in the intro/conclusion helped me tie those parameters into the prompt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we go over the 550-word limit? For my challenge essay I'm currently sitting around 600 words. I could cut it if necessary, but I'd prefer not to.

Can we go over the 550-word limit? For my challenge essay I'm currently sitting around 600 words. I could cut it if necessary, but I'd prefer not to.
Every time I said something similar, and I did, my wife said to me, "Let me read it." I'd give it to her, and she'd give it back with 15% trimmed away with no meaningful content lost. I got really attached to every word in my essays, but my wife who makes a living writing concisely would always find ways to make it more succinct.

I would imagine some folks do go over the 550 limit. I got close to 550, but did not go over. That's just me, a sample size of one. However, if you do go over, I would be careful because I guarantee who ever reads it is going to be looking to make sure every tiny bit was worth their time since you felt it necessary to make them read more than their suggested limit.

Reactions: 1 users

I have heard of some secondaries letting you type over the prompt’s given limit, but then cutting it down to the limit once you submit, so I think there’s a non-zero chance you would lose the last 50 words

Every time I said something similar, and I did, my wife said to me, "Let me read it." I'd give it to her, and she'd give it back with 15% trimmed away with no meaningful content lost. I got really attached to every word in my essays, but my wife who makes a living writing concisely would always find ways to make it more succinct.

can I borrow your wife?

• Haha
I have heard of some secondaries letting you type over the prompt’s given limit, but then cutting it down to the limit once you submit, so I think there’s a non-zero chance you would lose the last 50 words
I would imagine Chicago doesn't do that because they "suggest" 550, which makes it seem like that's a soft limit not a hard-and-fast rule. But, I don't know for sure.

do you think we have to talk about a "support person" for the challenge essay? i personally didn't have one in my story, wondering if they'll care...
I think these subtle differences in the prompt encourage the writer to not just copy/paste an essay from another school. I think leaving this part out, or just not answering part of the prompt just makes it seem like you don't care enough about applying to the school. (I'm not saying that's the case, I'm just pointing out what it might look like to someone reading your essay). If you don't have a support person, I would at least mention how you didn't have one and how you wish you could've had someone to talk to for X,Y,X reasons. Good luck!

So they haven’t started?
All I can glean from their web page is this: Interviews: All interviews for the 2021 application cycle will be virtual. Our interview season will not begin until September 2020 (a delay from our usual interview season opening in mid-August).

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my first II!!!! I cannot believe it, so happy :)

Reactions: 11 users
Wow, I got an II !!!!! I'm so happy, y'all *cries*

Reactions: 10 users
For those that got interviews would you mind sharing your stats? Congrats as well that is absolutely amazing!

I got interview invite via e-mail at 7:30 PM PST! First invite so far! Best of luck everyone!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to all those who got II! When were your complete dates? Wondering if they review chronologically....

Congrats to all those who got II! When were your complete dates? Wondering if they review chronologically....
It seems so far that most are complete mid to late July, but honestly I wouldn't even worry about it because we all know medical admissions processes are confusing even during normal times...and we're in a pandemic, so who knows how they're reviewing this year.

There are schools known for offering earlier interviews who are taking weeks to even begin review of some complete applications.

It seems so far that most are complete mid to late July, but honestly I wouldn't even worry about it because we all know medical admissions processes are confusing even during normal times...and we're in a pandemic, so who knows how they're reviewing this year.

There are schools known for offering earlier interviews who are taking weeks to even begin review of some complete applications.

That's fair thank you my question! I submitted my secondary on 7/30, but at the same time, am an international (Canadian) student. Congrats on your II :)

Based on the tracker, it looks like they are starting with mega-high stats and URMs, which is not surprising since it's UChicago lol

Based on the tracker, it looks like they are starting with mega-high stats and URMs, which is not surprising since it's UChicago lol
I got an II yesterday (ORM, LM 76), but I am a non-trad w/ professional experience in a non-health field.

Last edited:
I got an II yesterday with 521, 3.83, ORM, but I am a non-trad w/ professional experience in a non-health field.

Does working at the school food court Wendy's count as professional experience. Because if so, then we're in the same boat!
But really, Congrats! You must be pretty awesome

Does working at the school food court Wendy's count as professional experience. Because if so, then we're in the same boat!
But really, Congrats! You must be pretty awesome
Just pretty old (92 is not my birth year haha). What tracker are you referring to? Is there something that collects inputs?

Congratulations to everyone getting interviews, and good luck. I hope the rest of us hear back soon :)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Just got an II! Complete 7/18, LM 77

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
wow congrats! i love seeing that since i was complete on 8/9 - seems like no schools are really going in chronological order. love it!

complete 7/19 and having this irrational fear that there’s a hidden red flag in my app (ik I’m being impatient and neurotic but the waiting and uncertainty rly sucks :()

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
complete 7/19 and having this irrational fear that there’s a hidden red flag in my app (ik I’m being impatient and neurotic but the waiting rly sucks LOL)
Same. I have the same stats as II people so I’m wondering if the rest of my app just sucks

Reactions: 8 users
complete 7/19 and having this irrational fear that there’s a hidden red flag in my app (ik I’m being impatient and neurotic but the waiting rly sucks LOL)
I feel the same way. I think no matter what, I'd feel that way. I submitted my secondary 4 days ago but I'm in full-on irrational "i've been weeded out" mode

Reactions: 2 users