2020-2021 University of Tennessee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Tennessee

Members don't see this ad.

Received an email today stating that my application is under review, and that they review applications before sending out secondaries.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UT doesn’t send out secondaries. If you are chosen for an interview, they will send you a follow up email asking some profile stuff, but it’s not a secondary application, as in, no questions, why you want to go there, ect. That also means no secondary application fee.

Reactions: 1 users
UT doesn’t send out secondaries. If you are chosen for an interview, they will send you a follow up email asking some profile stuff, but it’s not a secondary application, as in, no questions, why you want to go there, ect. That also means no secondary application fee.

Thanks for clarifying!

IS applicant. Does anyone know if UT has a cutoff for MCAT subsection scores, say a 123 CARS?

This just became my top choice school. They're beautiful :')

Has anyone received anything yet? OOS with some ties, just wondering if anyone has heard anything past the initial email?

Has anyone received anything yet? OOS with some ties, just wondering if anyone has heard anything past the initial email?
UTHSC won’t send anything until late August, it’s always been this way. Be aware they only take like 10% OOS.

Reactions: 2 users
Really need this secondary so I stop refreshing my email every 5 minutes

Members don't see this ad :)
Really need this secondary so I stop refreshing my email every 5 minutes
No need for that. Their secondaries don't have any kind of essay questions and will only take a few minutes to fill out. Also, you gotta be patient if you're applying here. Last cycle I waited 8 months for an II after submitting the secondary.

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received just now! OOS (ties to state)

In the secondary portal though, it states that "Secondary application invitations are emailed to all UTHSC College of Medicine applicants with a verified AMCAS application." is this different from previous years?

Edit: there are two optional secondary prompts this year @TheDataKing

1. Any additional information not previously provided in the personal comments of your AMCAS primary application. Please limit your response to 500 characters. (optional)

2. Given the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, we would like to provide our applicants with an optional essay prompt for the year's UTHSC College of Medicine secondary application. Please use the text field below to share with us how you may have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, including academic, financial, medical disruptions, etc. It would also be helpful for us to know if any of your planned experiences in shadowing, volunteering, research, employment, or other activities have been suspended due to the pandemic. Please limit your response to 2,500 characters. (optional)

Last edited:

In the secondary portal though, it states that "Secondary application invitations are emailed to all UTHSC College of Medicine applicants with a verified AMCAS application." is this different from previous years?

+1 IS

Edit: there are two optional secondary prompts this year @TheDataKing

1. Any additional information not previously provided in the personal comments of your AMCAS primary application. Please limit your response to 500 characters. (optional)

2. Given the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, we would like to provide our applicants with an optional essay prompt for the year's UTHSC College of Medicine secondary application. Please use the text field below to share with us how you may have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, including academic, financial, medical disruptions, etc. It would also be helpful for us to know if any of your planned experiences in shadowing, volunteering, research, employment, or other activities have been suspended due to the pandemic. Please limit your response to 2,500 characters. (optional)
Re-applicant here. This seems like a substantial change to the process from last year. There's strong evidence that if you got a secondary from UTHSC last year, that it wasn't a matter of if they interview you, but when. If they're sending a secondary to all verified AMCAS applicants, then this is surely no longer the case. Also, there was no portal for the UTHSC secondary last year, it was simply an information packet that they emailed directly.

Re-applicant here. This seems like a substantial change to the process from last year. There's strong evidence that if you got a secondary from UTHSC last year, that it wasn't a matter of if they interview you, but when. If they're sending a secondary to all verified AMCAS applicants, then this is surely no longer the case. Also, there was no portal for the UTHSC secondary last year, it was simply an information packet that they emailed directly.
Website still says not everyone gets a secondary. I doubt they changed the way they’ve handled things this year.

Beware that the deadline is 10 days after receiving the secondary. Good luck everyone!

Yikes I did not receive one. Wondering if that is a bad sign or they are going out in waves....

Secondary received! OOS but was raised in TN and lived there for better part of my life

Regarding this second optional prompt, do people think it would be okay to include how we have been able to help out with fighting the pandemic? Most of my research/volunteering/activities were canceled and so I was able to find a new opportunity to help address COVID-19 directly. It's not a negative impact per se, but it was influenced by the pandemic.

OOS secondary received as well! :)
This may be a dumb question, but for the question asking "Are you a bona fide resident of Tennessee?" - is this asking if I am currently living in TN? I am not sure what the criteria are for bona fide

Regarding this second optional prompt, do people think it would be okay to include how we have been able to help out with fighting the pandemic? Most of my research/volunteering/activities were canceled and so I was able to find a new opportunity to help address COVID-19 directly. It's not a negative impact per se, but it was influenced by the pandemic.

I am planning to talk about which of my activities were cancelled and then move into opportunities I picked up to help the community during this time instead

Seems like everyone here got a secondary, maybe it is given to all applicants??

Is there no fee? I just submitted it and it didn't ask for any money :greedy:

For "If you are not a bona fide resident of Tennessee, where did you previously reside?" do we list our current state in which we reside?

No fee! Completely free :)

tenor.gif

If you look on the admissions steps on the website, step 2 says "Secondary information forms are not emailed to everyone." Then, step 3 says "Secondary application invitations are emailed to all UTHSC College of Medicine applicants with a verified AMCAS application."
how odd

If you look on the admissions steps on the website, step 2 says "Secondary information forms are not emailed to everyone." Then, step 3 says "Secondary application invitations are emailed to all UTHSC College of Medicine applicants with a verified AMCAS application."
how odd

It might be possible that they didn't update that section properly yet? Especially since they refer to secondaries as "secondary information forms" in Step 2 which sounds like what they've historically sent out.

how odd
Historically (literally every year in the last 4-5 I believe lol) they only send screened. MSAR says screened as well. I think it’s either selection bias on SDN or maybe they really did send them to everyone. Who knows

Secondary received, OOS with in-state ties as well. Anyone have an idea of selective OOS secondaries are as a general matter?

For "If you are not a bona fide resident of Tennessee, where did you previously reside?" do we list our current state in which we reside?
That's what I am doing

I just received the exact same email again, Anyone else on the same boat?

Secondary received!! IS with a LM of 72. I also received the second email and hopefully, blinkblink2 is correct.

OOS with ties to the state received. Hopefully getting these secondaries is a good sign rather than an expected thing

Question regarding "bona fide" residency: I lived in TN my entire life until college. I went to a private school out of state and took a gap year job out of state as well. However, TN is considered my "domicile". Can I list that I am a resident still? My entire family lives there as well. I am applying to schools as a TN resident in general.

are y'all writing a very short "why UTHSC" essay for the 500 character prompt or leaving it empty? hard to fit anything in such a short character limit

are y'all writing a very short "why UTHSC" essay for the 500 character prompt or leaving it empty? hard to fit anything in such a short character limit
I do not think I am going to write anything. It seems unnecessary