2020-2021 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM-Utah)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if the academic calendar has been released anywhere yet? I was listening to the faculty q&a sessions and they mentioned the calendar was approved for starting classes on July 19th and orientation the week prior. Does anyone know if this calendar has been released to us yet or when it will be?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone moved off the APS list yet? I know she just sent out an email

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there is any hope for alternate list folks? Seems like a soft rejection at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there is any hope for alternate list folks? Seems like a soft rejection at this point.
APS were told there hasnt been much movement / they arent sure what to expect. So I’m not sure that looks good for alternate.

I'm in the same boat as you :/. I've been checking portal and emails hoping for some news, but I know for sure coming around May, we should see something happening.

does anyone know how many people are on the aps list and alternate list? I haven't seen any stats on this

1/3 of this years class at RVUCOM-SU didn't match. Be careful! Don't want your dreams of becoming a doctor to be crushed AFTER graduating from med school.
Have they posted these results yet? Ive been anxiously waiting to see them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has any new school ever had a 100% match rate for their first graduating class? What are the averages?

Has any new school ever had a 100% match rate for their first graduating class? What are the averages?
Average for DOs this year was 89%, MD was 93%. This is likely one of the worst years in a very long time, but a class hitting in the 60s is a major, major issue. Class match rates in the mid to low 80s is typically considered deficient most years, and upper 80s is considered borderline but okay.

I'm not an expert in tracking match rates over the years, but the RVU-SU is likely one of the worst matches in several decades. If I'm remembering a graph I saw correctly (salt grain.. maybe a shaker here?), possibly the worst since about the 1970s, and standards have gotten much stricter since then to avoid something like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Average for DOs this year was 89%, MD was 93%. This is likely one of the worst years in a very long time, but a class hitting in the 60s is a major, major issue. Class match rates in the mid to low 80s is typically considered deficient most years, and upper 80s is considered borderline but okay.

I'm not an expert in tracking match rates over the years, but the RVU-SU is likely one of the worst matches in several decades. If I'm remembering a graph I saw correctly (salt grain.. maybe a shaker here?), possibly the worst since about the 1970s, and standards have gotten much stricter since then to avoid something like this.
Is there a website with all the schools match rates for this year?
Or do you need to find it on the individual school’s website ?

Is there a website with all the schools match rates for this year?
Or do you need to find it on the individual school’s website ?
You have to search through and find it.

To make matters more complicated, Match data isn't very straight forwardly reported location to location. It can be presented as straight up Match percent (how many matched without SOAP), Match + SOAP with respective percents separate, or, most commonly, schools report straight up Match percent + successful SOAPs together. RVU will almost certainly report Match + SOAP together to hide any poor straight up Match numbers (though, depending on how their students did in SOAP, that may not even help them).

There is no good source for Match data as it is almost always reported in a fashion that makes it seem more favorable to whatever point that organization is trying to make.

It also gets more complicated when you consider that a school may have an excellent match rate, but many students are matching in back up/choices or very low ranks.

Regardless, if RVU's 1/3 failure to match is true, that is abysmal compared to any other modern school.

Reactions: 1 users
You have to search through and find it.

To make matters more complicated, Match data isn't very straight forwardly reported location to location. It can be presented as straight up Match percent (how many matched without SOAP), Match + SOAP with respective percents separate, or, most commonly, schools report straight up Match percent + successful SOAPs together. RVU will almost certainly report Match + SOAP together to hide any poor straight up Match numbers (though, depending on how their students did in SOAP, that may not even help them).

There is no good source for Match data as it is almost always reported in a fashion that makes it seem more favorable to whatever point that organization is trying to make.

It also gets more complicated when you consider that a school may have an excellent match rate, but many students are matching in back up/choices or very low ranks.

Regardless, if RVU's 1/3 failure to match is true, that is abysmal compared to any other modern school.
If this is the case, where did that 1/3 figure come from? I know you personally didn’t say it but do you know where people could’ve gotten that figure from?

If this is the case, where did that 1/3 figure come from? I know you personally didn’t say it but do you know where people could’ve gotten that figure from?
Current students would know. The claim came from this thread where DO students are sharing anecdotal information on match news.

EDIT: and as my above post alluded to, it is not completely confirmed. Just reports at this point.

Current students would know. The claim came from this thread where DO students are sharing anecdotal information on match news.
I did see it there as well. I was just hoping to see the evidence with my own eyes before allowing it to influence my decisions. Part of it is denial truthfully. Thank you!

Okay this match data stuff is officially scaring me....reconsidering RVUCOM as an APS student.

Reactions: 3 users
7/45 came from CO, the rest from Utah.

Ok thank you for that info that was really helpful.
But, That didn’t answer my question in regards to new schools match rate

Ok thank you for that info that was really helpful.
But, That didn’t answer my question in regards to new schools match rate
ARCOM, Incarnate Word, and KCU-Joplin were 91%(IW) to 99% (ARCOM, Joplin) with their inaugural classes (post-SOAP). Incarnate Word was 91% post-SOAP and is actively being talked down about in the DO match thread for having such a bad match for perspective.

Last edited:
Okay this match data stuff is officially scaring me....reconsidering RVUCOM as an APS student.
Same. RVUCOM was unfortunately my only acceptance this cycle, so I am highly considering deferring as a backup and reapplying for an entire new cycle😅

1/3 of this years class at RVUCOM-SU didn't match. Be careful! Don't want your dreams of becoming a doctor to be crushed AFTER graduating from med school.
This is absolutely false. The residency placement list will be posted to the RVU website when available.

Current student. All this 1/3 stuff is bogus. The only source I've seen is somebody here on SDN saying they heard it somewhere. The school isn't giving out exact numbers yet because students can still officially match until June but from what I have understood from the information I do have the match rate is much higher than the rumors indicate. Don't panic, there can be issues understandably with an inaugural class and COVID hasn't made that any easier I'm sure. Even if our match rate this year was lower than the average (which I have no idea if it was or not), I fully expect that to normalize by the time I graduate in 2024. The lack of concrete information is frustrating but don't let that make you depend on incorrect information to make your judgment call. At least that's my two cents. I've posted on here before saying this but I'll reiterate that I am happy to speak to any of you about what it's like being a student here, feel free to message me :)

Reactions: 2 users
Current student. All this 1/3 stuff is bogus. The only source I've seen is somebody here on SDN saying they heard it somewhere. The school isn't giving out exact numbers yet because students can still officially match until June but from what I have understood from the information I do have the match rate is much higher than the rumors indicate. Don't panic, there can be issues understandably with an inaugural class and COVID hasn't made that any easier I'm sure. Even if our match rate this year was lower than the average (which I have no idea if it was or not), I fully expect that to normalize by the time I graduate in 2024. The lack of concrete information is frustrating but don't let that make you depend on incorrect information to make your judgment call. At least that's my two cents. I've posted on here before saying this but I'll reiterate that I am happy to speak to any of you about what it's like being a student here, feel free to message me :)
Wow... you have no idea.

~45 RVU students didn't match. At least 30 of those are from UT. Prove me wrong.

This is after SOAP? how do you know these numbers for both campuses??
Pre-SOAP or Post-SOAP doesn't matter. If a fat number of students from your school need to scramble to get the crumbs of residency placements, the students/school are in a very poor position.
The school isn't giving out exact numbers yet because students can still officially match until June
^^ This drives the point home. After SOAP finishes and students don't find placement, they become "free agents" and have to personally seek out whatever opening might be available at some undesirable (probably) location.

I'm optimistic that things will improve for RVU-UT and future graduating classes, but if I were an incoming student like many of you are, I would be pressing the school hard for some transparency. Y'all shouldn't wait til May/June to know the actual Match results...you could have a newly polished application ready for the new cycle by that time.

Pre-SOAP or Post-SOAP doesn't matter. If a fat number of students from your school need to scramble to get the crumbs of residency placements, the students/school are in a very poor position.

^^ This drives the point home. After SOAP finishes and students don't find placement, they become "free agents" and have to personally seek out whatever opening might be available at some undesirable (probably) location.

I'm optimistic that things will improve for RVU-UT and future graduating classes, but if I were an incoming student like many of you are, I would be pressing the school hard for some transparency. Y'all shouldn't wait til May/June to know the actual Match results...you could have a newly polished application ready for the new cycle by that time.
True, it is unfortunate that so many students suffered by having to scramble for a position. But honestly, with this year being so hectic and the match rate percentage dropping in both MD/DO, new DO schools are taking some of the biggest hits next to IMG's. Also, while the school can be held accountable, this truly is only to a minimal degree. Much of this is also on the student's accountability to be well prepped for the match. RVU-UT, from what I see, has had some decent matches as well.

Just to clear the air with some match definitions, matching exclusively refers to the match which occurs pre-SOAP. If someone has to SOAP, that means they didn't match. Placement refers to getting into residency in any way (match, soap, outside of the nrmp). So while the placement rate may not be known yet, the match rate is. 1/3 not matching would be really bad even if every single one of them ended up placing successfully.

Still, give RVU a chance to post some numbers. Just be aware that placement is not the same as matching when said numbers come out.

Reactions: 2 users
Also a current student, putting this out there just to clear the air. Administration announced that there was a 93% placement rate across both campuses, and over 90% for the UT campus. No we don't have specifics about how many people had to SOAP. Take what you will with that. Good luck!

Withdrawing my A here, hope it goes to one of you on the WL!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! I'm on the WL and haven't heard anything. I emailed and they said we'll hear something eventually. Looking forward to the movement!

Does anyone know if RVUCOM students have classes online cause the pandemic still?

Does anyone know if RVUCOM students have classes online cause the pandemic still?
We're currently still online, we have been this entire semester. Everything will go back to normal in the Fall

Anyone think will actually hear anything back soon?
I know the last email the APS list received stated that final deposits for accepted students were due may 1st and they’d provide us an update after that time in regards to if spaces have become available... so hopefully we hear something soon.

starting to get worried since the facebook group grew by 17 members in the past week.

starting to get worried since the facebook group grew by 17 members in the past week.

Don’t fret! Some of the newest members are actually current RVU students joining the group to post housing opportunities for upcoming students.

I know the last email the APS list received stated that final deposits for accepted students were due may 1st and they’d provide us an update after that time in regards to if spaces have become available... so hopefully we hear something soon.
I hope so too. Does anyone know how many people are currently APS at the Utah campus?