2020-2021 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Georgia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
?? did you submit secondary?
Their secondary is just a link to their payment portal. I applied to PCOM-PA as well, and got that one a few days ago so while checking my status I saw that I now have another payment available for GA!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Their secondary is just a link to their payment portal. I applied to PCOM-PA as well, and got that one a few days ago so while checking my status I saw that I now have another payment available for GA!
+1

Thankful for you all, if I didn't check this thread, I wouldn't have seen that the Georgia campus popped up on my portal!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thankful for you all, if I didn't check this thread, I wouldn't have seen that the Georgia campus popped up on my portal!

do they email the portal to you? I was verified 7/1 but haven't received anything yet!

do they email the portal to you? I was verified 7/1 but haven't received anything yet!

I received an e-mail to access the portal on July 6th!
I was verified 5/10.
Don’t worry though, my friend also doesn’t have the portal yet. I’m sure it’s coming in batches

Reactions: 1 users
I received an e-mail to access the portal on July 6th!
I was verified 5/10.
Don’t worry though, my friend also doesn’t have the portal yet. I’m sure it’s coming in batches
I was verified 5/13 as well, they're totally just doing batches! I just received the email explaining to head to the portal and pay the fee from PCOM-GA.

Just got my portal link!!! Looks like it's just the PCOM Georgia link so far. Hopefully the other one(s) will arrive soon too.

Did anyone get an emailed payment receipt after submitting the $75 fee?

Members don't see this ad :)
My application fee on the portal isn't marked as received, but I got an email receipt for it -that will update on its own right?

My LORs were marked as received today! They were added in under an 'additional information received' and specified by sub-type

So since PCOM doesn’t have a secondary are they sending a portal link to pay for their application to everyone, or do they still screen?

So since PCOM doesn’t have a secondary are they sending a portal link to pay for their application to everyone, or do they still screen?

I think they might be screening, just because of how long they're taking to send out the portal links to some people. But yes there will be a portal link to pay.

I think they might be screening, just because of how long they're taking to send out the portal links to some people. But yes there will be a portal link to pay.

What was your time frame? From submitting to receiving the portal link?

What was your time frame? From submitting to receiving the portal link?

Both campuses sent me the link about 2 weeks after my MCAT score was released (and the campuses sent the portal links 4 days apart).

Edit: I misread your question. I submitted my primary in May and was transmitted on the first possible day (6/15). I got the link to Georgia's secondary portal on 7/9 and Philadelphia/South Georgia on 7/13. My MCAT score arrived at AACOMAS (and thus the first day schools had access to it) on 7/9 which is why I think I had such a delay in receiving the secondary portals.

Last edited:
For me it was about 2-3 weeks after the transmission date.

Okay thank you! Guess I have to wait another week or 2.

Both campuses sent me the link about 2 weeks after my MCAT score was released (and the campuses sent the portal links 4 days apart).

Edit: I misread your question. I submitted my primary in May and was transmitted on the first possible day (6/15). I got the link to Georgia's secondary portal on 7/9 and Philadelphia/South Georgia on 7/13. My MCAT score arrived at AACOMAS (and thus the first day schools had access to it) on 7/9 which is why I think I had such a delay in receiving the secondary portals.

Okay thank you!

Okay thank you! Guess I have to wait another week or 2.

Okay thank you!
Also I don't have an MCAT yet but know some people who do, and still don't have a secondary from them. I think they are just doing them individually and slowly

I received a " Acknowledgment: Receipt of PCOM AACOMAS Application " in my email. Submitted AACOMAS 6/2.

Also I don't have an MCAT yet but know some people who do, and still don't have a secondary from them. I think they are just doing them individually and slowly

Ohhh okay, good to know. Now I just have to refrain from checking my email every 30 minutes :laugh: lol

I'm a 2nd year at Georgia campus! Feel free to ask questions here or via DM.

Some info to get yall started:

Secondary/School-Specific

1. Secondaries usually come <6 weeks after they receive your primary. BUT Admin is deciding COVID policies for this year in July. So now. This might lead to some delays in sending out secondaries. Still, if you don't hear anything after 6 weeks, I'd reach out with an email or phone call.
2. Letter of Recs are STRICT. What's written on the website is what's required, but once you meet the minimum, not really advantageous to add another unless they really add a different view of you (highly unlikely).
3. You can- and should- write the exact same information for all 3 campuses UNLESS they ask you a location-specific question (i.e. why here?), which I'd have different answers for. They are ALL reviewed by independent and separate adcoms.
4. PCOM student clinics are called HEARTS clinic, currently on pause due to COVID. Only on Philly campus atm, coming this or next year to Georgia campus, no word from South Georgia (extremely unlikely at this campus for years to come considering how new the school is, but you can certainly try once you're on campus to launch it).
5. The school is undergoing sweeping curriculum & policy changes under our interim dean, Dr. Kaczmarczyk. Don't worry or freak out- changes so far have been great, like making curriculum far more board relevant & very likely ending mandatory attendance policy that we've had for 2 years now.

Interviews

1. A handful (5-10%) of matriculants come directly from the biomed program. If you meet one of them in the interviews, they can be great resources on your specific interviewer!
2. If your interviewer is Dr. McAfee, don't even bother writing a thank you note. He does NOT read them to avoid biasing himself in voting. Everyone else: go ahead.
3. They're going to be concerned how you'll adapt to pandemic-adjusted medical education, especially because labs will likely be virtual again. Even your clinical exams! I'd address this point even if they didn't bring it up.

Reactions: 2 users

1. Secondaries usually come <6 weeks after they receive your primary. BUT Admin is deciding COVID policies for this year in July. So now. This might lead to some delays in sending out secondaries. Still, if you don't hear anything after 6 weeks, I'd reach out with an email or phone call.
2. Letter of Recs are STRICT. What's written on the website is what's required, but once you meet the minimum, not really advantageous to add another unless they really add a different view of you (highly unlikely).
3. You can- and should- write the exact same information for all 3 campuses UNLESS they ask you a location-specific question (i.e. why here?), which I'd have different answers for. They are ALL reviewed by independent and separate adcoms.
4. PCOM student clinics are called HEARTS clinic, currently on pause due to COVID. Only on Philly campus atm, coming this or next year to Georgia campus, no word from South Georgia (extremely unlikely at this campus for years to come considering how new the school is, but you can certainly try once you're on campus to launch it).
5. The school is undergoing sweeping curriculum & policy changes under our interim dean, Dr. Kaczmarczyk. Don't worry or freak out- changes so far have been great, like making curriculum far more board relevant & very likely ending mandatory attendance policy that we've had for 2 years now.

Interviews

1. A handful (5-10%) of matriculants come directly from the biomed program. If you meet one of them in the interviews, they can be great resources on your specific interviewer!
2. If your interviewer is Dr. McAfee, don't even bother writing a thank you note. He does NOT read them to avoid biasing himself in voting. Everyone else: go ahead.
3. They're going to be concerned how you'll adapt to pandemic-adjusted medical education, especially because labs will likely be virtual again. Even your clinical exams! I'd address this point even if they didn't bring it up.
Thanks for the info! I thought the secondary was embedded within the AACOMAS primary this year? Should I expect more essays?

Does anyone else's LOR's for Philly/SG show up categorized differently than Georgia? Just worried that they might've mis-catgorized them because I sent my committee/packet letter AND the individual letters that were included in my packet.

Does anyone else's LOR's for Philly/SG show up categorized differently than Georgia? Just worried that they might've mis-catgorized them because I sent my committee/packet letter AND the individual letters that were included in my packet.
I have a similar issue with my science professor letters not being matched in the science professor slot. I emailed SGA about this about they said all my letters were in the portal and I met the letter requirements, basically not to worry about the matching. I don't have a committee letter tho so I would shoot them an email.

Interviews

Biomeds are helpful for sure! If they do interviews in person or somehow incorporate the ambassadors before interview into a virtual session, they also try to give you an idea about the person(s) interviewing you.

Hi guys I paid the $75 fee a few days ago however I checked my application summary requirements today and my pre-health advisor committee is still blank. I am wondering if this is normal or if there is likely an issue with my letter of recs and I should send them directly to pcom from interfolio.

Hi guys I paid the $75 fee a few days ago however I checked my application summary requirements today and my pre-health advisor committee is still blank. I am wondering if this is normal or if there is likely an issue with my letter of recs and I should send them directly to pcom from interfolio.
I would give it 2 weeks time for your LoR's to load. I asked the AdComs about this too and mine just uploaded today. I paid the fee almost two weeks ago. They are just taking a lot of time due to Covid. No worries! You can shoot them an email too if you're concerned.

Hey all, I received an invite to submit the institutional application fee a few days ago. However, due to COVID's effect on my financial situation, I will not be able to come up with the $75 fee for at least a week. Is it worth notifying the school? Thanks!

Hey all, I received an invite to submit the institutional application fee a few days ago. However, due to COVID's effect on my financial situation, I will not be able to come up with the $75 fee for at least a week. Is it worth notifying the school? Thanks!
If it's something you want the school to know, then by all means shoot an email to the admissions committee explaining your situation. I just reread the email from PCOM and I don't think they asked for the fee within a week, so you will probably be fine.

Same here!

Interviews

Hi. Thank you so much for sharing this! Are you able to further comment on things specific to the GA campus (& south GA if you know) like volunteer opportunities, research focus areas? I've combed through the website but a lot things don't clearly state if they are available at campuses besides Philly. I want to be sure I'm relating my experiences to the right things on the right campuses.

Is taking a september mcat date considered late . i have a 499 but really aiming for. a 510

Does anyone know if the same admissions officers will review the essays for the Philadelphia location and the South Georgia location? They are on the same primary application page, and I was planning on talking about similar topics in both essays.

Does anyone know if the same admissions officers will review the essays for the Philadelphia location and the South Georgia location? They are on the same primary application page, and I was planning on talking about similar topics in both essays.
I think someone earlier in this thread who is a current student mentioned that all 3 campuses have different adcoms

Everyone gets the secondary. They do not screen until apps are complete.

Is taking a september mcat date considered late . i have a 499 but really aiming for. a 510
Take my words with a grain of salt, I'm not an advisor nor MS. September is late for rolling admission, but if you can get to 510 on FL practice, then go for it. A 510 completed in September can still get you into DO, but with that score you also have a shot for MD.

Hi. Thank you so much for sharing this! Are you able to further comment on things specific to the GA campus (& south GA if you know) like volunteer opportunities, research focus areas? I've combed through the website but a lot things don't clearly state if they are available at campuses besides Philly. I want to be sure I'm relating my experiences to the right things on the right campuses.

No idea on South Georgia, but GA campus offers plenty of opportunities, like performing basic physicals, food drives, and some research programs being developed on campus, which should only be done in your 1st year summer anyway (only if you are going into a HIGHLY competitive specialty). The student-run clinic is launching this year, pushed back from late last year due to the pandemic. If you're applying this cycle, you should be getting a chance to get in on one of the first clinic days (not possible until pandemic is over) by the time you matriculate.

For the purposes of your application, you should honestly consider every campus as a distinct school. They're not like Starbucks lol

That's a big jump in score, but if you can get it, go for it. You should still apply in the meantime and update adcoms with your new score. 508 MCAT helped me get 6 acceptances, so a 510 will certainly make odds of something similar go up a lot