2020-2021 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Website linked in attached letter (admissions website) says:

“The AMCAS application is used to identify applicants about whom the Committee on Admissions would like more information. Most U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the U.S. will be invited to complete a Supplemental (Secondary) Application. Everyone should keep in mind the profile of the latest entering class when deciding whether or not to complete the secondary.”

I wouldn’t worry too much about screening as they say most applicants will get a secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean they screen based on institutional action??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh for real? Where did you find that info?
I spoke with admissions and they screen on those three things. I assume that they have a low GPA/MCAT cutoff. In terms of the institutional action, I wouldn't be too worried as I have a friend who is a current MS3 at Miami and he had an alcohol related IA so it must be for more severe conduct violations.

I spoke with admissions and they screen on those three things. I assume that they have a low GPA/MCAT cutoff. In terms of the institutional action, I wouldn't be too worried as I have a friend who is a current MS3 at Miami and he had an alcohol related IA so it must be for more severe conduct violations.

I think IA at most med schools has to do with cheating/plagiarism.

Reactions: 1 users
I think IA at most med schools has to do with cheating/plagiarism.
IA could be anything really. Getting written up for drinking, having a pet in your dorm, etc. That's why they let you explain the type of IA.

I was born in FL, but am in living in OOS right now. Is it worth mentioning this as FL ties as I lived in FL for about 7 years and still frequently visit as most of family my lives there?

Last edited:
I was born in FL, but am in living in OOS right now. Is it worth mentioning this as FL ties as I lived in FL for about 7 years and still frequently visit as most of my lives there?
It can only help so definitely worth it.

Are you all prewriting this one? I am thinking about it but feel like they might switch it up since they've had these questions for 2 years.

Are you all prewriting this one? I am thinking about it but feel like they might switch it up since they've had these questions for 2 years.
I prewrote but I’m getting bad vibes. Betcha they switch it up on us.

I prewrote but I’m getting bad vibes. Betcha they switch it up on us.
Yeah for reals. I'm just going to chew on the prompts in my mind instead of putting in hard labor.

I guess they could always switch up, but these prompts have been the same for many years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess they could always switch up, but these prompts have been the same for many years.
You're right. I thought it was just 18-19 and 19-20 but it was also 17-18. Part of me just doesn't feel good prewriting this though, it's a gut feeling

This is my last secondary so I’m just chilling and enjoying basketball till I see the prompts on the portal lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You're right. I thought it was just 18-19 and 19-20 but it was also 17-18. Part of me just doesn't feel good prewriting this though, it's a gut feeling

They’ll likely send out secondaries on Monday so no harm in waiting. I did a quick search and it looks like they’ve been using the same prompts for like at least 10 years lol

Will they send it all at the same time to everyone who got the email today?

+87

2 prompts are different from last year**

**What have you done during the recent COVID-19 pandemic that will better prepare you to be a medical student and future physician?

Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.

Please provide a chronological list with dates AND a brief description of your clinical experiences/shadowing.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.

Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.

Please briefly discuss your research experience.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.

**What have you done to help identify, address and correct an issue of systematic discrimination?

The optional prompts are the same

Is anyone having trouble accessing the secondary? I got the email with a PDF with the link to the secondary, but when I enter my DOB and AAMC ID, the page doesn't change.

+87

2 prompts are different from last year**

**What have you done during the recent COVID-19 pandemic that will better prepare you to be a medical student and future physician?

Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.

Please provide a chronological list with dates AND a brief description of your clinical experiences/shadowing.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.

Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.

Please briefly discuss your research experience.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.

**What have you done to help identify, address and correct an issue of systematic discrimination?

The optional prompts are the same
omg they heard my prayers? The most important clinical experience prompt is gone?

Reactions: 4 users
For the optional prompts about the arts dance/ or sports, are we only allowed to talk about one category since it says "or"?

Has anyone in the FAP had the secondary fee waived?

Lol what do they expect us to put for the new essay on systematic descrimination

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know the "LINK" they told us to upload a photograph of yourself? I can't find one

Reactions: 3 users
Lol what do they expect us to put for the new essay on systematic descrimination
No idea. And that goes for the pandemic prompt too. Like I quarantined lol. This question seems tone deaf in a time where most things have been cancelled. I’m not sure what kind of answer they’re expecting.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
No idea. And that goes for the pandemic prompt too. Like I quarantined lol. This question seems tone deaf in a time where most things have been cancelled. I’m not sure what kind of answer they’re expecting.
I’m ngl, it’s ridiculous they asked us these. Now I feel like my essays are going to sound so bad lol

Reactions: 4 users
how detrimental is it to not answer one of the optional prompts. I have strong EC's but none involving student orgs since I wanted to get outside of the bubble of my school

I’m ngl, it’s ridiculous they asked us these. Now I feel like my essays are going to sound so bad lol
Same and it sucks because this school is one of my top choices.

Yeah the one I'm putting for discrimination is a STRETCH but it's all I've got.

how detrimental is it to not answer one of the optional prompts. I have strong EC's but none involving student orgs since I wanted to get outside of the bubble of my school
I don’t think It’s detrimental because it’s optional. Does a volunteer group on campus count as a student organization?

Has anyone in the FAP had the secondary fee waived?
Yes. Waived. However, the portal is saying that my letters of recommendation have not been uploaded? I am surprised because of how late in the cycle this 2° was distributed that the LOR have not also been received.

Applicants have you solved racism? Oh you haven’t? And you’re still applying lol that’s funny

Reactions: 29 users
The covid question is pretty brutal for anyone not currently employed at a medical facility, huh?

Reactions: 6 users
For anyone who has submitted, are you having trouble logging back in? I got the confirmation of submission email, and it gives you the link to log back in and check status, but when I click login it just refreshes the page.

According the instructions PDF, should we still be providing descriptions for community service and employment even though the prompts don't explicitly state? I'm confused since only they only clinical experience descriptions, but in the email PDF it says "6. When asked for a chronologic list, please list start and stop dates along with a brief description of the activity"

For the systemic discrimination question, I have an experience that I briefly talked about in my primary application. Should I expand on that? Or would it look repetitive? I do have other instances that I could talk about but they are not as impactful or meaningful.

Does anyone know if there are more essays if I select the MD/MPH track?

Edit: 2 additional essays

Last edited:
For the systemic discrimination question, I have an experience that I briefly talked about in my primary application. Should I expand on that? Or would it look repetitive? I do have other instances that I could talk about but they are not as impactful or meaningful.
I was in the same boat as you but wrote about something else because their old prompt about HC experience specifically said to avoid writing about content from the 1°. Fortunately, I have a few meaningful experiences to write about on the topic as much of my application is centered around social justice.

The covid question is pretty brutal for anyone not currently employed at a medical facility, huh?

I don’t feel like it’s solely about that. I picked up volunteering for Meals on Wheels in my area as soon as the pandemic started and feel like I will be using that for this essay instead.