2020-2021 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
would you mind posting the prompts? Good luck buddy

1. Please discuss your primary interest in attending the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University. (400 words)

2. Please describe your motivation for becoming a physician. What contributions do you feel that you could make to the medical profession in the future? (400 words)

3. Please list any additional clinical experiences that are not included on your AMCAS application. Please include the physician’s name OR type of experience (i.e., Nursing, PA, EMT, E.R. Scribe, etc.) in the description column below along with the location, dates and total number of hours. If no additional experiences have occurred, please select "N/A."

4. The Admissions Committee regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of our school. The Admissions Committee strongly encourages you to share personal challenges that you have overcome and that are unique to you. These challenges may include the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, region of residence with respect to its health professional needs, ties to MCG, culture, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or life and/or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine. (400 words)

5. Please describe the geographical area in which you would most likely practice medicine and why. Please include the country, region, state, city and/or town in your response. (400 words)

6. Please explain any inconsistencies in your academic record. This may include below average course performance, grade trends, MCAT scores, etc. (400 words)

7. If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed in your application. (400 words)

8. Please explain any disruptions to your medical school application this cycle that the admissions committee should consider, as it relates to COVID-19 (Examples include: academics, volunteer/clinical experiences, personal life, etc.) (400 words)

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
503 low :/
I was accepted with a 505, and I never addressed it formally in any question prompts or at the interview. I think (stress THINK) that 500 is used by MCG to screen applications and help sort through the thousands of applications they receive. If you have a very strong GPA (my science GPA was 4.0, overall 3.8) and/or a cool background story, I wouldn't personally address the MCAT unless you were asked about it.

That being said, I would go ahead and start preparing for a retake now, in the event that you need to reapply next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received in-state, regular decision MD program. Same prompts as EDP above, all 400 words!

Also in-state , RD MD program, but no secondary

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed the admissions office and was told they’re not having technical difficulties and are sending secondaries out on a rolling basis.

idk if it's just me but is anyone else having a hard time learning about MCG just from their website?
I don't think "MCG is the only public med school in GA" would be a good enough response for Q1 on secondary lol

idk if it's just me but is anyone else having a hard time learning about MCG just from their website?
I don't think "MCG is the only public med school in GA" would be a good enough response for Q1 on secondary lol
Current M3, happy to answer any questions you may have! I think there is an M2 in this thread as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Current M3, happy to answer any questions you may have! I think there is an M2 in this thread as well.
hey I asked a question a lil above sorry to bother, but id love to hear ur thoughts? I can paste the question again if needed :)

I'm a current M2 at the Augusta campus and would be happy to answer any questions you or anyone else might have!

Received a secondary today for RD!

what is LM
“Lizzie M” score. It’s a 2 digit score that it’s yet another numerical way for students to compare themselves to each other. It takes into account multiple factors including GPA and MCAT. Personally, I didn’t find the number worth squat and it wasn’t very useful during my application cycles. Just adds another tier of neuroticism. (No offense)

“Lizzie M” score. It’s a 2 digit score that it’s yet another numerical way for students to compare themselves to each other. It takes into account multiple factors including GPA and MCAT. Personally, I didn’t find the number worth squat and it wasn’t very useful during my application cycles. Just adds another tier of neuroticism. (No offense)
ohh ok thank uuu

EDP interview invite received today!

Reactions: 3 users
For the 5-year residence history, do I just put N/A for the Position&Employment and Hours if I am listing where I live?

@stickgirl390 @soclocgroup8 Can you speak to the differences between campuses/ how students select campuses, if at all?

The Athens campus is more small-group/case-based learning. There are still some lectures, but the model focuses on active learning through cases and discussions. Athens is also sticking with the traditional 2-year preclinical curriculum.

The Augusta campus is now doing a 1.5-year preclinical curriculum to open up more time during your fourth year for electives, research, and specialty-specific residency prep. The new curriculum also includes more small-group/case-based learning than before, but lectures are still the primary form of instruction. The current M1s are the first class to experience the new curriculum (my class has a hybrid model), but I think they've made some great changes.

There are definitely benefits to each campus and it really comes down to your personal preference and learning style. Both campuses have similar Step scores and good match lists, so one is not academically better than the other. You will learn more about each campus during interview day, and you choose your campus after being accepted. In past years, the deadline to decide wasn't until March, so you'll have plenty of time to think about it!

anyone have statistics on how many apply through EDP and their acceptance rate?

"If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed in your application."

^what kind of stuff are ppl putting for this question?

"If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you have not already addressed in your application."

^what kind of stuff are ppl putting for this question?

gap year plans that I didn't include in amcas

Also heads up on the email it states that the last MCAT date that can be taken for MCG is September 12th. Maybe this is common knowledge but its new information to me! Luckily I scheduled to take it September 11th

List in chronological order to the anticipated date of matriculation (July 2021) all the places you have lived and worked in the past five years. Please make sure to include a complete history with no gaps in time. ... How did yall answer this? Did you change your permeate address? Like what if you went to school in GA

If we don't write ~400 words for each prompt on the secondary would that look bad?

509 MCAT first time, 516 second, 3.8ish GPA, 3.7ish science GPA. Hope this helps!
whoa! how did you increase your score by such a big increment?

whoa! how did you increase your score by such a big increment?

Anki! Not even joking. I saved all my notecards from the first time and just built on it the second time around.

Still have not received a secondary for this school, seeing how some have II, it is a bit unsettling. Thank you everyone for your input!

Still have not received a secondary for this school, seeing how some have II, it is a bit unsettling. Thank you everyone for your input!
I called them and they said they r sending them out and not to panic or anything, and im pretty sure the interview invites r for those that are ED, not sure if thats completely tru, but dont worry I am sure it'll come soon :) have any RD gotten Interviews??

all of the II have been only those who applied through early decision.
you should constantly be checking your spam folder as well, cause that's where I found mine.
MCG tends to be sending out their secondary in waves, especially if your primary submission didn't make the first chunk.
Although, I will say that they've been experiencing quite a bit of technical glitches as well, so if you're unnerved, you might wanna reach out to the adcom.
They're quick to respond and super helpful!
What do you mean they are all early decision, they cant all be just early decision, right? I haven't even gotten a secondary here, OOS

What do you mean they are all early decision, they cant all be just early decision, right? I haven't even gotten a secondary here, OOS
the people who have said they have gotten interviews so far are all early decision applicants, hand outs for interviews for RD hasn't started yet at least thats what I have seen and heard

RD applicant here--out of curiosity, my school has sent a Committee letter+4 individual letters as part of their package through AMCAS. I believe this is enough, but I'm a bit paranoid that the adcoms will see like one entry from my Committee and think that 2 letters are still outstanding. I'm wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation?

*Edit: Also, I swear to god I signed my name on the submissions page above the checkbox, but when I checked after submission, the box with my name is now blank. I'm wondering if I should contact the adcoms and let them know.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if MCG prefers UGA students? I know they take from all over, but I have heard some say that they do have a preference, and some say that it doesn't matter.

Does anyone know if MCG prefers UGA students? I know they take from all over, but I have heard some say that they do have a preference, and some say that it doesn't matter.
I believe 25-33% of my class is from UGA, but I think that's just due to the volume of students who apply from UGA, not that there is a preference given to them. There are students in my class from many different schools in Georgia (Emory, GT, Kennesaw St., Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Valdosta State, etc.), and plenty of people who are Georgia residents, but went out of state for college.