2019-2020 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how much more movement are we expecting here? not sure how much longer to keep my hopes up lol

I know someone who was accepted off the WL in mid June, and he tells me he has many friends who were also accepted late off the WL. Probability of being accepted off the WL of course decreases as time goes on, but that doesn't mean there is just one wave and then possibilities decrease to 0.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
For people accepted off the WL, any ideas when we'll be notified of our campus assignment?

Ex

for real. I am not trying to make this mid day panic a week long ordeal

I am a current student at Athens, and I have classmates who were accepted as late as the weekend before orientation. I imagine WL movement is pretty extensive because most of my friends were initially waitlisted. People coming off of the waitlist have different demographics and stats as well. It all depends on how the roster shapes up over time.

With that said try to fight the urge to check SDN every day for the next 6-7 weeks :) The best thing you can do is to prepare to reapply and just hope for an email or call before July.

Happy to answer any questions here or via PM.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For people accepted off the WL, any ideas when we'll be notified of our campus assignment?

I was accepted Wednesday and got my assignment Thursday! I also uploaded my forms Wednesday night.

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone accepted off the waitlist, did y'all have your official transcripts in? Or can we submit those after a potential acceptance?

For anyone accepted off the waitlist, did y'all have your official transcripts in? Or can we submit those after a potential acceptance?

Just got off the WL this morning and didn't send in the official Trancsripts (accidentally sent them through my email so they didn't count lol). Also the 4th is with me!!! Such a great birthday present (couple days from now).

Reactions: 13 users
Just got off the WL this morning and didn't send in the official Trancsripts (accidentally sent them through my email so they didn't count lol). Also the 4th is with me!!! Such a great birthday present (couple days from now).
Congrats!! and happy early bday!

how long does it usually take to be assigned an Augusta email?

Accepted off the WL yesterday!! Got an e-mail around 8am. Hoping you wonderful people get the same news :)

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they have released the schedule for the upcoming year as far as when orientation is, when classes start, etc.

Does anyone know if they have released the schedule for the upcoming year as far as when orientation is, when classes start, etc.
No official schedule has been released, but we've been told indirectly that orientation is July 27th and classes start the next day. IT training which has been done in person in the past was moved to remote on July 20th.

got off the WL this morning at 8:19AM. BEST DAY EVER. To everyone who is still waiting, the waiting game sucks, but no matter what happens you are going to be fine. This was my second cycle after not getting off the waitlist here last year. The feelings are strong and it feels like the world is ending sometimes, but I promise you guys it will be okay. Trust that you are exactly where you are supposed to be and you will be where you are meant to be.

Reactions: 13 users
Have any of y’all been able to reach admissions?
I’ve tried calling but it just goes to voicemail

Have any of y’all been able to reach admissions?
I’ve tried calling but it just goes to voicemail

I left cam when I called a few weeks ago and they called back like a week later. Took a while lol but at least they called back!

got off the WL this morning at 8:19AM. BEST DAY EVER. To everyone who is still waiting, the waiting game sucks, but no matter what happens you are going to be fine. This was my second cycle after not getting off the waitlist here last year. The feelings are strong and it feels like the world is ending sometimes, but I promise you guys it will be okay. Trust that you are exactly where you are supposed to be and you will be where you are meant to be.
RT^^^
Second time applicant as well, was waitlisted last year and never got the call. Got the A this morning!!! Feels like a dream come true. Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall (provided we aren't online lol).

Reactions: 3 users
has anyone who was accepted off the WL gotten their Augusta.edu email address yet?

No official schedule has been released, but we've been told indirectly that orientation is July 27th and classes start the next day. IT training which has been done in person in the past was moved to remote on July 20th.

I dont think this is right. They gave us an academic calendar during interviews that shows orientation on August 3-4, with classes beginning August 5. See the attachment below. Curious who “indirectly” told you this.
DF873A07-B510-4CAD-9FFE-8EECB6E53FE6.jpeg

I dont think this is right. They gave us an academic calendar during interviews that shows orientation on August 3-4, with classes beginning August 5. See the attachment below. Curious who “indirectly” told you this.
View attachment 305969

This calendar not accurate anymore. Are you in the facebook group/groupme? You'd see the conversation about orientation.

This calendar not accurate anymore. Are you in the facebook group/groupme? You'd see the conversation about orientation.
Which group are you in? I’m in a couple and I haven’t heard anything about orientation.

Why the **** is this kind of information being distributed via GroupMe and “indirect” contact? WTF MCG get your **** together and email us.

Why the **** is this kind of information being distributed via GroupMe and “indirect” contact? WTF MCG get your **** together and email us.

What starbean93 said above. The academic calendar we all received wasn't made recently. At the time of interviews, the new curriculum wasn't on the table for our incoming class. So the change in dates reflects the curriculum changes. I agree that they need to get it together and publish an official start date, but all of the correspondence has been over email between incoming Augusta students and the admissions and curriculum office. The students then posted pics about it in the MCG Augusta class groupme.

Granted, I'll be at the Augusta campus, so I'm not sure what Athens has up their sleeve for start dates.

The Groupme's for each campus were posted at the beginning of the facebook group if that helps finding them!

What starbean93 said above. The academic calendar we all received wasn't made recently. At the time of interviews, the new curriculum wasn't on the table for our incoming class. So the change in dates reflects the curriculum changes. I agree that they need to get it together and publish an official start date, but all of the correspondence has been over email between incoming Augusta students and the admissions and curriculum office. The students then posted pics about it in the MCG Augusta class groupme.

Granted, I'll be at the Augusta campus, so I'm not sure what Athens has up their sleeve for start dates.

The Groupme's for each campus were posted at the beginning of the facebook group if that helps finding them!

i would sure appreciate seeing some of these screenshots, i am only in the Athens groupme and dont have the patience to track down information like this

OOS waitlist ppl (if you're out there) - how much hope of getting off the waitlist do yall have? I know they only take a handful of OOS ppl but I loved MCG and am trying to balance being hopeful and being realistic :/

Reactions: 1 users
OOS waitlist ppl (if you're out there) - how much hope of getting off the waitlist do yall have? I know they only take a handful of OOS ppl but I loved MCG and am trying to balance being hopeful and being realistic :/
Someone was just here saying people got off the waitlist as late as >July20.

Alright guys, Harvard is gonna be online for first semester M1. What do you think the chances are that we will be online too? I have faith in the cowboy-style public health system we have here in Georgia.

Alright guys, Harvard is gonna be online for first semester M1. What do you think the chances are that we will be online too? I have faith in the cowboy-style public health system we have here in Georgia.
I hope we find out soon because I am trying to choose an apartment in the coming weeks. I want to go ahead and pre-lease, but I am just waiting for MCG to make an announcement.

Do any of you all know if THE MEDICAL COLLEGE OF GEORGIA will be online or in person?

Do any of you all know if THE MEDICAL COLLEGE OF GEORGIA will be online or in person?
I don’t know for certain, but based on the emails I’ve gotten from Augusta University (I’m an undergrad there, or was until like two weeks ago), they’re planning to have in-person classes again for undergraduate and graduate programs this fall, DCG and MCG included. They’ve said it’s “tentative” but based on the weekly updates, it seems likely. I know that’s not really a clear-cut answer, but it’s the little information I do have. I know from friends attending that MCG records lectures for students and posts them online so many students don’t really go to class anyways except for quizzes/exams and anatomy lab, so in terms of lectures they’re well-equipped to have those online if necessary. I think it’s possible that they could switch to having lecture exclusively online but still have anatomy lab in person, but that’s pure speculation.

Has anyone who sent their deposit this week received confirmation that MCG received it???

Anyone know how long it takes to get set up with an augusta.edu email after you've been accepted?

FYI folks, the immunizations deadline has been postponed according to my partner (she was having issues with her Hep B titers)

Are there any other major catalysts that will drive waitlist movement? Seems like a number of folks have already been called up (as a result of the 4/30 trigger). Curious to hear other's thoughts here as I'm working the cost/benefit of holding through July vs re-applying now

Are there any other major catalysts that will drive waitlist movement? Seems like a number of folks have already been called up (as a result of the 4/30 trigger). Curious to hear other's thoughts here as I'm working the cost/benefit of holding through July vs re-applying now

My advice is that you should send an LOI and reapply as soon as amcas opens!

anyone on here that applied ED that I could message? I'm thinking about doing it for this upcoming cycle

do you mind sharing your stats and what you did differently?

do you mind sharing your stats and what you did differently?
Sure! 504 MCAT, 3.6 undergrad, 4.0 masters. I didn’t change that much between cycles on my actual application. I decided to do a masters program (dm me if interested) and that gave me a lot of opportunities. I was able to shadow more and volunteer. I also did research. I sent a thank you note/LOI in January. Sent both fall and spring grades. My program directors sent a letter in April.

Sure! 504 MCAT, 3.6 undergrad, 4.0 masters. I didn’t change that much between cycles on my actual application. I decided to do a masters program (dm me if interested) and that gave me a lot of opportunities. I was able to shadow more and volunteer. I also did research. I sent a thank you note/LOI in January. Sent both fall and spring grades. My program directors sent a letter in April.

You rock Rosy, see you in fall.

Okay, so MCG's website says the following:

-After June 1st, all accepted students, must affirm their acceptance and withdraw from other medical schools within 48 hours.

-All accepted students are required to commit to enroll by July 6th. Those participating in the pre-matriculation program must commit by May 15th. If not, MCG may withdraw you from the 2020 entering class.

So I'm a little bit confused.. when exactly are students who are accepted to MCG essentially to forced to choose if they are going to matriculate or not? I'm just trying to predict when the last time is that we can realistically expect much WL movement. I know there's the rare case where someone somehow drops during orientation week or whatever, but I think it's safe to assume that a couple of weeks after July 6th, there's close to 0% chance you'd come off the waitlist?

At some point I'm going to have to go ahead and sign a lease in the town where my back-up school is but is there any way to know when that point is?