2020-2021 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't have any acceptances just yet, so forgive the outright speculation on my part - just seeking a little peace of mind.

I saw earlier in this thread it said that the timing of emails informing applicants of their being scored (or these emails' reception at all) had no relationship with whether an acceptance was ultimately offered. I just wonder whether there might be a relationship between these emails/their earlier timing and inclusion within the initial batch of acceptances, which, as I understand it, is only 1/3 of all offered.

Perhaps for the 2/3 offered off the waitlist, since this secondary process of selection presumably includes a renewed comparative reevaluation of applicants, there is no relationship with the timing of this email, which is why having received one and earlier is said to not be universal among applicants ultimately offered an acceptance. Thoughts?
Sounds like a good theory but who knows... I didn't even realize that 2/3 of the class came from the waitlist

so ready for February 22

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I was planning on sending my letter of intent after really falling in love with mayo last week during my interview but havent yet due to having work obligations. I just received the email that my interview was scored. will they still look at my LOI post- scoring? I am stressed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning on sending my letter of intent after really falling in love with mayo last week during my interview but havent yet due to having work obligations. I just received the email that my interview was scored. will they still look at my LOI post- scoring? I am stressed.
As long as you get it in before the first you’re fine. A student connected to the admissions committee told me this.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
As long as you get it in before the first you’re fine. A student connected to the admissions committee told me this.
Awesome! Thank you! Yes I plan to send it Tom or Thursday latest. I want it to put in my effort into it. I appreciate it:)

Reactions: 1 user
While I understand people wanting to send a letter of intent very soon after their interview, I also feel like it makes sense to wait until you've completed all or most of your interviews for the cycle to demonstrate that you've fully considered all of your options before saying Mayo is your top choice (of course while still submitting by Feb 1st/before the first round of acceptances as others have said). Thoughts?

Reactions: 7 users
For me, I had my 2nd interview last Tuesday. I was set on sending a letter of interest until yesterday when I received an R from the only other school I seriously was considering other than Mayo. I took it as a sign, especially because I truly love Mayo, and would be so so happy to attend if accepted. Today is one week post interview, but because they are making initial decisions this week, I am sending it in ASAP. But if you interviewed earlier in the cycle, I think it would be appropriate to have more time in between :) I agree with you!

While I understand people wanting to send a letter of intent very soon after their interview, I also feel like it makes sense to wait until you've completed all or most of your interviews for the cycle to demonstrate that you've fully considered all of your options before saying Mayo is your top choice (of course while still submitting by Feb 1st/before the first round of acceptances as others have said). Thoughts?
I am personally of the opinion that having the LOI in BEFORE your app is scored will be more beneficial as your score is set in stone after that meeting happens. I don't know how the committee may move you in rankings later on but it feels more impactful to have it in early?

I am personally of the opinion that having the LOI in BEFORE your app is scored will be more beneficial as your score is set in stone after that meeting happens. I don't know how the committee may move you in rankings later on but it feels more impactful to have it in early?
I wish I had gotten it in earlier, believe me. But I am hoping that there is still a chance that they will read it, and things will work out. So I will be praying in the meantime.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I am hesitant to agree that sending a LOI in before you being scored has any difference in weight. From my understanding, the "scoring" that happens within a week or two of interviews is just for your interviewers to discuss you with the admissions committee. I think LOIs make an actual difference when final decisions are made over the next few weeks (after everyone has already been scored), which is why they sent out the email recently soliciting LOIs from everyone who interviewed.

Reactions: 8 users
So since we're talking about LOIntent, I was wondering what you all's thoughts on sending one when finances will have a major impact on my decision? I am lucky enough to have gotten into one of my top choices and I have already sent a letter of interest to Mayo, but I would feel extremely insincere if I wrote a LOintent when I know the money will be a big factor. Any thoughts?

Reactions: 4 users
I concur. It just follows logically that if strong interest in Mayo, such that you would intend to attend there above all other possible interview invites, is a factor in admission, then going out on more of a limb (submitting letter of intent earlier) would be viewed more favorably.

The reason I made a point of getting my letter of intent in before being scored is that it is just human nature that determinations are "sticky," ie the importance of first impressions. This is the same logic behind why an earlier interview is better than a later one, even if both are before the first batch of acceptances.

I concur. It just follows logically that if strong interest in Mayo, such that you would intend to attend there above all other possible interview invites, is a factor in admission, then going out on more of a limb (submitting letter of intent earlier) would be viewed more favorably.

The reason I made a point of getting my letter of interest in before being scored is that it is just human nature that determinations are "sticky," ie the importance of first impressions. This is the same logic behind why an earlier interview is better than a later one, even if both are before the first batch of acceptances.
The timing of your interview in the admissions cycle may also make a difference though. I think there is value in sending a LOI within a week of an interview if you interviewed in January, since the cycle is coming to a close and you understand where you generally will have offers from. However, a LOI in Oct/Nov after interviewing may seem insincere since you haven't even interviewed at all of your options yet and you could just be sending a LOI to everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So since we're talking about LOIntent, I was wondering what you all's thoughts on sending one when finances will have a major impact on my decision? I am lucky enough to have gotten into one of my top choices and I have already sent a letter of interest to Mayo, but I would feel extremely insincere if I wrote a LOintent when I know the money will be a big factor. Any thoughts?
Perhaps write a LOIntent and include the fact that Mayo historically offers very generous financial aid, and this support is factored into your decision to decisively attend Mayo if granted admission.

• Love
The timing of your interview in the admissions cycle may also make a difference though. I think there is value in sending a LOI within a week of an interview if you interviewed in January, since the cycle is coming to a close and you understand where you generally will have offers from. However, a LOI in Oct/Nov after interviewing may seem insincere since you haven't even interviewed at all of your options yet and you could just be sending a LOI to everyone.
I wouldn't be concerned with it being insincere, that seems like overthinking. There are people for whom Mayo is genuinely the first choice for a whole host of reasons, myself among them. If this is genuinely the case, then there is no such thing as too early to send a LOI.

I would concede that a later Mayo interview affords the applicant more latitude to send the LOI as a strategic decision, for which I would begrudge no one.

You can also probably write multiple LOIs to Mayo - one early one later! Georgetown, for example, ranks their WL applicants by the number of LOIs they write (or so I heard lol)

Perhaps write a LOIntent and include the fact that Mayo historically offers very generous financial aid, and this support is factored into your decision to decisively attend Mayo if granted admission.
This is exactly what I needed! Thanks so much for responding!

This is brilliant

Okay so how are yall keeping busy till the 22nd?

I thought I had reached peak anxiety but nope, every day I reach a new high.

Okay so how are yall keeping busy till the 22nd?

I thought I had reached peak anxiety but nope, every day I reach a new high.
I wish I had some advice but tbh same, esp since all the schools im waiting to hear back from are non rolling

Idk i guess i always just try to remind myself that eventually the anxiety will end, and once that happens, I dont want to look back and regret missing out on doing things because I was worried. Recently I've been trying to learn new things in my free time to try and distract myself haha

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
I wish I had some advice but tbh same, esp since all the schools im waiting to hear back from are non rolling

Idk i guess i always just try to remind myself that eventually the anxiety will end, and once that happens, I dont want to look back and regret missing out on doing things because I was worried. Recently I've been trying to learn new things in my free time to try and distract myself haha
you are right... making soy candles as I type this

one day closer!

• Care
Got an email assessing my interest from my interviewer, which was a pleasant surprise. I interviewed in the last month.

Got an email assessing my interest from my interviewer, which was a pleasant surprise. I interviewed in the last month.
Did you send any interest/intent already?

Recently received emails from both interviewers asking if I have any questions, but one mentioned being impressed by my app and interview and hopes I am still interested :O Trying not to read into it too much though. I sent a letter of interest at the end of last year and interviewed in October.

also got an email from my two interviewers with one of them cc'ed, but unlike the others mentioned here, it had nothing about gauging my interest or being impressed with my app or encouraging me to submit LOIs. Just a simple "you got questions?" and decisions will be made in a few weeks lol...

are yall making up questions and answering back to these emails? just curious..

Part of me really wanted to get one of these emails yet I also have no burning questions but I know I would have made up a question to not seem uninterested

did anyone here receive the highly ranked email that was mentioned in the MN thread today

2+2 applicant, never got scored email but one of my interviewers recently emailed me to gage my interest

did anyone here receive the highly ranked email that was mentioned in the MN thread today
None here. I have been scored and contacted by my interviewer about my interest.

I got a second post-interview invitation from a second student to ask questions that didn't seem personalized yesterday. Additionally, I previously received a personalized one and had a correspondence of a handful of emails. I submitted a letter of intent and was scored a week post-interview.

I'm assuming we all got this, but the Mayo mug and book of sayings came in the mail the other day. That was a nice gesture.

• Care
I got a second post-interview invitation from a second student to ask questions that didn't seem personalized yesterday. Additionally, I previously received a personalized one and had a correspondence of a handful of emails. I submitted a letter of intent and was scored a week post-interview.

I'm assuming we all got this, but the Mayo mug and book of sayings came in the mail the other day. That was a nice gesture.
Damn they really want you huh :rofl:

Well my interviewers never contacted me. At the same time, I'd like to believe you

My interview was relatively recent

Interestingly, I received a “highly ranked” email from my interviewer a couple of months ago (I interviewed for the AZ / FL 2+2) but no such email today. Weird 🙁

No highly ranked email here, just contact from my interviewers recently

We all got the mug and book, right? I got mine about 10 days post-interview.

I'm really not trying to brag or anything...for all I know none of this is remotely relevant. I more wanted to see whether all of these things were universal or if there might be cause to be heartened by them.

We all got the mug and book, right? I got mine about 10 days post-interview.

I'm really not trying to brag or anything...for all I know none of this is remotely relevant. I more wanted to see whether all of these things were universal or if there might be cause to be heartened by them.
Mug and book is for everyone. The outreach by students and staff seems to be less uniform and appears to be random.

Does the Arizona campus specifically this cycle have an established record of sending highly ranked emails?

I believe I got one email from a student, i forgot about that. But no email from interviewers, no highly ranked email, no scored email, etc
cheering for you! I really want to think none of this is going to matter when Feb. 22nd rolls around!

As for everyoneeee!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
what does the highly rank email contain? Like, it legit states in the email body "you are highly ranked" <- something to that extent?

what does the highly rank email contain? Like, it legit states in the email body "you are highly ranked" <- something to that extent?
yea kinda. i think someone posted the email they got in the MN thread. From the looks of it, maybe the AZ campus doesn't send these out?