2020-2021 Dartmouth (Geisel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone already had their interview that would mind sharing their experience?
Sure, DM me!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II just now!!! OOS, LM ~70. Scheduled for mid-October

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People who were complete in August are getting II, does this mean they already looked at us July folks and it's a lowkey R?

Reactions: 3 users
People who were complete in August are getting II, does this mean they already looked at us July folks and it's a lowkey R?
I don’t think that’s really how review works. For example, they seem to only have gotten to mid October with interview dates. There’s no way they’re only interviewing people with complete dates from mid August and onward for the vast majority of their interview dates. It’s a weird process and your complete date doesn’t necessarily predict when you’ll receive an II.

Reactions: 4 users

Unlikely. I received an II a few days ago from a Texas school at which I was complete 6/26. They had already handed out several rounds of IIs to folks complete far later than I. Either they'd reviewed my file initially and then decided to put it aside to wait as more came in, or they were reviewing by geographic region, or they were reviewing by undergrad school, or the admissions officer assigned my file took a little extra time...or some combination of the above. I suspect the same stuff, to some extent, will happen in Geisel's admissions office as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Lol, I added this school this week. For the "other" essay, is it asking for a scenario in which we were a minority or a scenario in which we were discriminated?

I don’t think it’s that deep. Just talk about a meaningful situation that made you feel different than others and how that impacted you. If that involves discrimination go for it but it certainly doesn’t have to.

Reactions: 1 users
has anyone tried calling them for an update? It's been almost 2.5 months for me slowly losing my patience -.-

has anyone tried calling them for an update? It's been almost 2.5 months for me slowly losing my patience -.-
No. Been the same for me, but people complete in summer often get II's to some schools in the winter. Don't lose hope or patience.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
just wanna pop in and say I appreciate the amount of cat profile pictures on this thread

Reactions: 5 users
II today! 3.5, 511, ORM, totally nontrad. First interview date was 10/15!

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

Man this gives me so much hope as a 3.7/510/totally nontrad ORM for whom this school is a massive dream reach :>

Reactions: 7 users
you are an inspiration to me for this school

- a fellow not-so-traditional applicant
You got this!! I’m still kinda in shock and refreshing my email to make sure it’s not a mistake lol

the only thing I can think of for the "the other" prompt is that im the first to get a 4 year degree and it has made me feel a little disconnected from the lived experience of my family. I mentioned this briefly in one of my W/A, but is it even valid? is it ok to mention again if from another angle I guess?

Does the status change from complete to under review at all? or does it just go from complete to II

the only thing I can think of for the "the other" prompt is that im the first to get a 4 year degree and it has made me feel a little disconnected from the lived experience of my family. I mentioned this briefly in one of my W/A, but is it even valid? is it ok to mention again if from another angle I guess?

I think that is a really different perspective of being an "other" (which is unique) and as long as you explain it well, I think that should be just fine!

Interviewing soon, any tips from those already had their interview?

OMG WE HAVE (almost) THE SAME STATS

Congrats!!!

*prays to the adcom goddesses*

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Yes! I wrote about something similar for one of my essays (can't remember for which school). It's a really unique place to be where you straddle those worlds of lower and higher SES. I've felt sort of lost at times, because I no longer fit in with my original community but also don't feel at home in the middle class world I've established myself in. I grew up in a rural Appalachian town where the average income is like $20,000 and everyone is toothless, poor, and addicted to drugs. And I've also lived near Aspen and Vail, and have casually interacted with people who have more money than I can fathom. It's a trip. But honestly, I think that makes people like us more interesting, and better future physicians!

Yes! I wrote about something similar for one of my essays (can't remember for which school). It's a really unique place to be where you straddle those worlds of lower and higher SES. I've felt sort of lost at times, because I no longer fit in with my original community but also don't feel at home in the middle class world I've established myself in. I grew up in a rural Appalachian town where the average income is like $20,000 and everyone is toothless, poor, and addicted to drugs. And I've also lived near Aspen and Vail, and have casually interacted with people who have more money than I can fathom. It's a trip. But honestly, I think that makes people like us more interesting, and better future physicians!

I love your bunny's cat mask

• Haha
Could someone who's already interviewed give some insight on the dress code of the "Geisel Conversations" sessions? Were people dressed up or is it more casual?

Could someone who's already interviewed give some insight on the dress code of the "Geisel Conversations" sessions? Were people dressed up or is it more casual?
I wore a nice blouse (no blazer) as a happy medium but most other people looked pretty casual (saw several sweatshirts). We were in the big group the whole time so outfits didn't matter too much, I'd say you can go casual if you want.

II just now! Complete 7/26. Anyone has insight on the group exercise?

Reactions: 7 users
II just now! Complete 7/26. Anyone has insight on the group exercise?

It’s very lowkey! You and a few other students are being interviewed at the same time. It’s actually fun to listen to other people’s answers to the interview questions you’ve been rehearsing for so long. The faculty at this school are all very kind I was not stressed on interview day at all.

It’s very lowkey! You and a few other students are being interviewed at the same time. It’s actually fun to listen to other people’s answers to the interview questions you’ve been rehearsing for so long. The faculty at this school are all very kind I was not stressed on interview day at all.
are they doing more than one type of group exercise? Mine was not like that - I can't say specifics but we had to work on a task together while being silently observed. No one was asking/answering classic interview questions, but maybe I just had a different exercise?

Edit: definitely agree with the vibes though, they were great all day

Reactions: 2 users
II just today!! Complete 8/11 :) Scheduled for 10/29

Reactions: 6 users
are they doing more than one type of group exercise? Mine was not like that - I can't say specifics but we had to work on a task together while being silently observed. No one was asking/answering classic interview questions, but maybe I just had a different exercise?

Edit: definitely agree with the vibes though, they were great all day

Oh you know what I think I’m confusing my group activity for Dartmouth with my group interview from another school... Lol whoops...

the group activity was fun for me I think they’re just trying to get a feel for how you work with other people. Just don’t be controlling.

Reactions: 3 users