2020-2021 Dartmouth (Geisel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
should we be including labs for prereq? my school's biology courses are only 3 credits each for the year, but 8 with labs i suppose?

Members don't see this ad.

I got my secondary within hours of my MCAT score coming in. I'm guessing they won't send a secondary until they have your score.

should we be including labs for prereq? my school's biology courses are only 3 credits each for the year, but 8 with labs i suppose?
Oops I didn't think about the 8 hours and just considered the full year and didnt include labs(which would be 6 hours). Not sure if I should add the labs by contacting them through email now

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops I didn't think about the 8 hours and just considered the full year and didnt include labs(which would be 6 hours). Not sure if I should add the labs by contacting them through email now
I saw someone say in 2019-2020 that 6 creds is fine bc its our equivalent of a year :)

I saw someone say in 2019-2020 that 6 creds is fine bc its our equivalent of a year :)
I'm in the same situation but I'm gonna go ahead and include labs. According to MSAR, schools usually mean lecture only if they say 3 credits but want lecture and lab if they say 4 credits.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anyone OOS who hasn't received a secondary? I've got my MCAT scores and was verified June 9th. I was wondering whether they send in batches or whether I should email to check to see my secondary hasn't been lost. Nothing in spam or trash folder either.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone emailed the admissions office before about anything? How long did it take for them to get back to you?

Has anyone emailed the admissions office before about anything? How long did it take for them to get back to you?

They responded to my email about their letter of rec requirements within 2 days!

I'm in the same situation but I'm gonna go ahead and include labs. According to MSAR, schools usually mean lecture only if they say 3 credits but want lecture and lab if they say 4 credits.

I looked at AMCAS, and two bio courses without lab added up to 8 sem hours, which seems to fulfill the requirement. How would you interpret that?

How URM favoring is Dartmouth? I’ve seen mixed opinions

How are you guys filling out the premedical requirements? for College section do they mean the university or e.g. College of Science if filling out for biology?

How are you guys filling out the premedical requirements? for College section do they mean the university or e.g. College of Science if filling out for biology?
I took it as the name of the university for those who got summer credits elsewhere

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at AMCAS, and two bio courses without lab added up to 8 sem hours, which seems to fulfill the requirement. How would you interpret that?
So my school was somewhat inconsistent with credits. Like Biology is 3 credits but then physics is 4. Thus I would hit the 8 credits without lab for some classes and hit the 8 credits only if I include the lab. I decided to just be consistent and throw all the labs in there for that reason.

So my school was somewhat inconsistent with credits. Like Biology is 3 credits but then physics is 4. Thus I would hit the 8 credits without lab for some classes and hit the 8 credits only if I include the lab. I decided to just be consistent and throw all the labs in there for that reason.
Right, but did you report each individual lecture course as 3 hours or 4? Technically my AMCAS says 4 sem hours, but it seems that something like intro bio should count as 3

Right, but did you report each individual lecture course as 3 hours or 4? Technically my AMCAS says 4 sem hours, but it seems that something like intro bio should count as 3
I reported each course as the number of credits that they show up as on my transcript. If this meant that I went over 8 credits for physics when I added in the lab classes, so be it. The goal was to hit the minimum requirement for all classes and I did that by including lab classes. If it went over for some, that was just the side effect of consistency.

Hi Everyone, Does Dartmouth send secondaries out in batches? Been verified for a bit now and have the higher MCAT score unless there are other screening factors as well. Thank you!

My mcat date got postponed to mid-august. Does this mean I won’t receive a secondary unless I get my score back in September and its above a 503? My primary is verified.
Unfortunately, yes. I received a secondary a few hours after my MCAT scores were posted.

How URM favoring is Dartmouth? I’ve seen mixed opinions

Current M1 here- They seem to be pretty good about incorporating URM students into the class. There seems to be a good amount of diversity in various respects. Our M1 class is all over the place, which I appreciate. I'm assuming this was intentional.

How does everyone feel about the tuition and fees for this school?

....*sigh*. They say you have to break some eggs to make an omelette. In this case you'll probably have to break the bank too. Some people have said that you're paying for the name/rep. I'm not sure how much I believe that (businesses generally tend to air on the side of more profit). In any case, it's still 100% worth it. Also the cost of living here is quite low. AND no sales tax in NH (yay!).

thoughts on writing about my passion for tutoring/mentoring for my "other" essay? its not medicine-focused, but its either that or talking about my goals as a physician (which is just not different enough from my PS/activities)

thoughts on writing about my passion for tutoring/mentoring for my "other" essay? its not medicine-focused, but its either that or talking about my goals as a physician (which is just not different enough from my PS/activities)
Does your passion for tutoring/mentoring have anything to do with a situation where you were the "other"?

whoops, meant the "anything else you want to share" essay
Oops, I misunderstood! I used my adversity/challenge essay, which isn't really related to medicine. I think the prompt is pretty open-ended so your idea sounds good to me.

Do ya'll think it's worth it to email Admissions if I haven't received a secondary? I've been verified since June 9th with everything in before I was even verified. Nothing in spam folder either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a 1000 words be excessive for the "something not mentioned" essay?

Do ya'll think it's worth it to email Admissions if I haven't received a secondary? I've been verified since June 9th with everything in before I was even verified. Nothing in spam folder either.

I would say do it! That doesn’t seem right :/ It shouldn’t take that long

Would a 1000 words be excessive for the "something not mentioned" essay?
I'd say yes, since that's longer than any word count for any secondary essay I've had to write. I personally wouldn't exceed 500 words. What are you writing that requires so much space?

For the upcoming plans essay, would it be ok to list whatever activities I'll be involved in? Or would it be better to write sentences? Should I have a small description of the activities (most of them are listed in my Activities section for my primary)?

I'd say yes, since that's longer than any word count for any secondary essay I've had to write. I personally wouldn't exceed 500 words. What are you writing that requires so much space?
Personally, I think each word adds value. I'm talking about 2 really personal challenges and some complications due to COVID.

Personally, I think each word adds value. I'm talking about 2 really personal challenges and some complications due to COVID.

That’s bonkers long. If you think every word truly adds value then why did you ask in the first place

Reactions: 2 users
I disagree that each word adds value, but it isn't my essay. I would worry about annoying whoever is reading my essay -- they probably don't want to read a whole block of text, even if it's well-written. I'm not sure why you asked our thoughts on 1000 words, if you had already made a decision?

1000 words sounds like overkill, that’s almost as long as Vandy’s autobiography

Last year, they had 8,399 applicants. As valuable as each word may be, your app may get overlooked if you’re writing 2-3 times the amount of other applicants due to fatigue from volume. I think 500 words should be the maximum.

So I just checked my application and saw there was a tab to upload a photo. Was this always there or did I just notice it lol? Seemed like I didnt have anything uploaded so I just did it

@prufrock2891 @TabbyTuxy I was asking because another school I am applying to has a similar prompt essay with a 750 word limit and after consulting a couple med students from that school, based on personal experience and general advice, they suggested to hit or get close to the 750 word limit. I do not personally know anyone from Geisel which is why I consulted this board on opnions. I don't have a decision made lol. What I meant by "each word adds value" is that I didn't just write fluff but obviously if my essay is going to appear excessive/the anomaly, then I can revise and cut out some of the challenges and just bring them up during interviews.

@prufrock2891 @TabbyTuxy I was asking because another school I am applying to has a similar prompt essay with a 750 word limit and after consulting a couple med students from that school, based on personal experience and general advice, they suggested to hit or get close to the 750 word limit. I do not personally know anyone from Geisel which is why I consulted this board on opnions. I don't have a decision made lol. What I meant by "each word adds value" is that I didn't just write fluff but obviously if my essay is going to appear excessive/the anomaly, then I can revise and cut out some of the challenges and just bring them up during interviews.

Write however much you think you need to tell your story, while also being mindful of the concerns raised by others above. It really will be a "feel" thing, and that's okay!

II tracker getting spammed?
That's my interpretation as well. Looks like one person inputting multiple IIs/school to troll. Starts out ~1 minute apart and then they get more efficient, down to 30 seconds/entry. Lol

That's my interpretation as well. Looks like one person inputting multiple IIs/school to troll. Starts out ~1 minute apart and then they get more efficient, down to 30 seconds/entry. Lol
Looks like Vanderbilt may be getting spammed too...?

What makes you think it's getting spammed? Just that the entries happened so close together?

What makes you think it's getting spammed? Just that the entries happened so close together?
Trying to update your spamming technique for the future? haha jkjk yes that, and there would be some action on one of the school pages that has a number of new IIs, but there is nothing on any.

Trying to update your spamming technique for the future? haha jkjk yes that, and there would be some action on one of the school pages that has a number of new IIs, but there is nothing on any.
Lol dang it's frustrating that someone would do that! Kind of defeats the purpose of having the tracker