2020-2021 Charles R Drew @ UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary just now. Verified 7/27 URM from Los Angeles
+1 OOS URM. I've been verified since June but I've added the school to my amcas on 8/17 and my primary was received yesterday (7/18)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone sorry I got caught up, same as last year plus COVID essay. 3.3 undergrad/ 3.9 post-bac / whopping 504 MCAT.
What is the COVID essay? Is asking about application interruptions, reflections on the pandemic, what have you been up to, etc?

What is the COVID essay? Is asking about application interruptions, reflections on the pandemic, what have you been up to, etc?

Please share the degree to which COVID-19 has caused disruptions in any of the following areas of your life that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider: Academic, Research, Volunteer, Work, Personal Life, Financial Situation, Family. (1200 characters maximum)

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received! I was worried I wouldn’t get one, but I also received Geffen so I hoped I would here!

So what do you guys think about the question asking "Have you experienced an uneven performance in grades and academic achievement?"? Would this be about specific classes that I didn't do well in, or for more drastic discrepancies? My GPA, albiet not very high, has been consistant all throughout undergrad, but I do have some C+'s in a few non-BCPM engineering courses..Should I mention them?

If you are currently not a full-time student, please list and describe your current activities. (800 characters maximum)

how are you guys answering this question? I've got a LOT of things I'm doing, but the "describe" word makes me think they want details. any help? No way I can fit it all in with just 800 characters to work with.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are currently not a full-time student, please list and describe your current activities. (800 characters maximum)

how are you guys answering this question? I've got a LOT of things I'm doing, but the "describe" word makes me think they want details. any help? No way I can fit it all in with just 800 characters to work with.

When I have a short space for this question, I usually just write sentence after sentence of job titles and duration/time period to grasp my full timeline as a non trad. For me personally, I’d rather share everything I’ve done so they get the full picture and then if they like me, we can discuss the details of each during an interview lol. I’m too afraid of leaving things out and looking like I haven’t used my time wisely. For unheard of things, obv you should elaborate. But I don’t see the point forcing details of common activities like being a scribe or medical assistant for example or even volunteering activities that are well known (shelters, soup kitchens, tutoring, etc). It’s tricky bc of the “describe” but I would go with what will present your complete profile. Hope this gives you an idea on how to approach it!

When I have a short space for this question, I usually just write sentence after sentence of job titles and duration/time period to grasp my full timeline as a non trad. For me personally, I’d rather share everything I’ve done so they get the full picture and then if they like me, we can discuss the details of each during an interview lol. I’m too afraid of leaving things out and looking like I haven’t used my time wisely. For unheard of things, obv you should elaborate. But I don’t see the point forcing details of common activities like being a scribe or medical assistant for example or even volunteering activities that are well known (shelters, soup kitchens, tutoring, etc). It’s tricky bc of the “describe” but I would go with what will present your complete profile. Hope this gives you an idea on how to approach it!

What frustrates me is that all of this stuff is already on my primary, like...just go look at it...

Your answer was very helpful so I'll have to do some adjustments now. Thank you!

Did anyone with low stats get a secondary? Still trying to figure out if I even should bother

Do we need to assign LOR before they send us a secondary?

Do we need to assign LOR before they send us a secondary?
I don't think so. On the secondary portal after you submit, it reminds you to make sure that you send in all of your LORs

I can't get my picture to upload. Anyone else having the same issue?

Would anyone happen to know pre-screen cut off? Also if anyone could post secondary prompts, it'd be much appreciated! :thumbup:

Would anyone happen to know pre-screen cut off? Also if anyone could post secondary prompts, it'd be much appreciated! :thumbup:
I believe its the same as last year + covid essay but here it is to save everyone a few clicks!

1. Have you experienced an uneven performance in grades and academic achievement? If so, please explain. What did you do to improve? (800 characters maximum)

2. If you are currently not a full-time student, please list and describe your current activities. (800 characters maximum)

3. Describe the role you play in your immediate family. (800 characters maximum)

4. Describe your community and socioeconomic environment. (800 characters maximum)

5. Describe the most significant community, public service, and leadership activities you have been involved in over the last six years. (800 characters maximum)

6. Describe how your experience, community, and family background impact your understanding of underserved communities. (800 characters maximum)

7. Other than healthcare access, what are some of the most important healthcare issues confronting under-resourced communities? How would you address them? (800 characters maximum)

8. Please describe how your experiences and personal attributes contribute to the mission of Charles R. Drew University. (800 characters maximum)

9. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If the answer is yes, please explain. (800 characters maximum)

10. Please share the degree to which COVID-19 has caused disruptions in any of the following areas of your life that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider: Academic, Research, Volunteer, Work, Personal Life, Financial Situation, Family. (1200 characters maximum)

11.Please provide any additional information, which will give the Admissions Committee greater insight into you as an applicant. (800 characters maximum)

12. How did you hear about our program?

Can someone please explain how this program screens for secondaries? I have not received one yet, but I would love to receive one

So I've now submitted the secondary. In the e-mail it says that my secondary fee is waived (I received FAP). Are we supposed to receive a confirmation?

Can someone please explain how this program screens for secondaries? I have not received one yet, but I would love to receive one
Holistic screen with emphasis on mission fit most likely.

Just received a secondary! OOS URM verified 8/18
They definitely screen holistically because I almost passed out at work when I got my email lol

Last edited:
Should we assume that if we were verified early and haven’t received a secondary by now that we won’t be getting one?

Yeah, I think I'm considered low stats. 3.3 undergrad 3.9 post bacc and 504
@mdman26 my stats are LOWER than this and I received a secondary today. Yes, I have an upward trend and lots of work experience but still. Go for it. Don't know unless you apply

Hey just received the secondary but when I click on the link it takes me to my NYMC secondary anybody else have this issue?

This is reassuring because I was just verified 8/21
Don't count yourself out! I was verified and sent in my primary like earliest possible date in july, was told that they had my application 8/15 and JUST received secondary today: URM 3.5 3.45sgpa 514 HYP undergrad. Def holistic screen and probably takes time to read through regardless of order.

@mdman26 my stats are LOWER than this and I received a secondary today. Yes, I have an upward trend and lots of work experience but still. Go for it. Don't know unless you apply

Im in the same position as you and just got the secondary as well today. Good luck buddy.

Hey just received the secondary but when I click on the link it takes me to my NYMC secondary anybody else have this issue?
Have you resolved this? I think its also a glitch when schools have similar portals, try signing in then logging out of NYMC, then opening a new browser and try the link again, or try logging on incognito (if your on chrome) and see if that works too.

Have you resolved this? I think its also a glitch when schools have similar portals, try signing in then logging out of NYMC, then opening a new browser and try the link again, or try logging on incognito (if your on chrome) and see if that works too.
I was using safari initially but then used crome and didn’t have an issue. Thanks

I am debating reapplying. I didn’t even get a secondary last time so I am not sure tho lol
I didn't get a secondary 2 years ago when I applied. So trust this was a shocker for me. Just do it. Unless, money is an issue

Really nervous that I haven’t gotten a secondary. This is one of my top-ranked schools. :(

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Can someone who received a secondary please share the LOR requirements since it's not on their site?

+1 OOS URM. I've been verified since June but I've added the school to my amcas on 8/17 and my primary was received yesterday (7/18)

You're in the wrong month, friend!

Also an aside- besides this 2 day turnaround , what has been the amount of time between full app received and secondary received? (for anyone who has gotten a secondary)

Can someone who received a secondary please share the LOR requirements since it's not on their site?
Good question. I didn't even realize it wasn't on their website until now but I sent to 2 from professors and 1 from an MD. All of my LOR weren't in but I had them assigned on AMCAS