2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Keep your head up!! What are your stats if you don’t mind me asking?

I know you asked futuredoc_11, but graduated half a decade ago with an engineering degree and took 33 units of postbacc with a 4.0 in the last year. So netted cGPA: 3.06 sGPA: 2.93 MCAT: 507

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an e-mail today stating, “At this time, the Committee has placed your file on hold. Your application may be reviewed again at a later date for future consideration.” Did anyone else get this e-mail or know if I have a shot at an interview?

Reactions: 1 users
I got an e-mail today stating, “At this time, the Committee has placed your file on hold. Your application may be reviewed again at a later date for future consideration.” Did anyone else get this e-mail or know if I have a shot at an interview?
I got this email just now as well, I am thinking this might be a waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the hold email too. Just want to stress this to us neurotic premeds but hold does not mean rejection. They might be interviewing strong students first then they will get to us after, idk.

Reactions: 2 users

Don’t get too down! I was on hold last year at another school and then interviewed a month later! All it means is that your not in the first round of interviews. It’s by no means a death sentence for your app

Don’t get too down! I was on hold last year at another school and then interviewed a month later! All it means is that your not in the first round of interviews. It’s by no means a death sentence for your app
Ohh ok, that gives me a bit more hope lol. Thanks for that!

Yeah i believe this is exactly what it means. They are just waiting for the applicant pool to grow before they extend an invite. But you aren’t the first pick compared to the really high achievers. So keep your head up!

Has anyone received an interview invite yet? I was marked complete 6/29 and still haven't heard anything.

I know you asked futuredoc_11, but graduated half a decade ago with an engineering degree and took 33 units of postbacc with a 4.0 in the last year. So netted cGPA: 3.06 sGPA: 2.93 MCAT: 507

I would advocate for yourself and reach out to them and ask them to take a closer look at your app because you probably were just screened out. You have a good mcat score and a 4.0 in your recent coursework and all the other great things you have to offer. Someone got admitted here with a cGPA: 2.99 / sGPA 3.25 / pbGPA: 3.5 / MCAT: 501, so I think you have a shot.

Graduated last year with a low GPA (3.1), did 16 credits of post-bacc work and maintained 4.0. Due to financial constraints, SMP is not an option for me. Took the MCAT 3 times, with highest score on the 3rd attempt. Did extremely well in Bio/Biochem and Psych/Soc. CARS messed up my entire scored. Ended up with 500. My previous attempts were lower than 500.
Don't know where I went wrong. I've shown improvement in my grades and my MCAT. Have lots of clinical experience and research experience. Strong connections to those who wrote my LORs.
May I ask what your cars score was? I got a really low cars score (123) and idk if they're gonna throw away my whole app for that.

May I ask what your cars score was? I got a really low cars score (123) and idk if they're gonna throw away my whole app for that.
mine was lower than 123 lol....reading has always been my weakest subject on any standardized test

Members don't see this ad :)
I would advocate for yourself and reach out to them and ask them to take a closer look at your app because you probably were just screened out. You have a good mcat score and a 4.0 in your recent coursework and all the other great things you have to offer. Someone got admitted here with a cGPA: 2.99 / sGPA 3.25 / pbGPA: 3.5 / MCAT: 501, so I think you have a shot.
Do you think I should advocate too?

Yeah, I sent them an email yesterday just due to my schedule, but I was going to reach out with a phone call today. But thanks!

Do you think I should advocate too?

I would give it a try, you never know. Especially if you are a good fit for their mission, as far as having experience working with underserved populations and wanting to do primary care.

I would give it a try, you never know. Especially if you are a good fit for their mission, as far as having experience working with underserved populations and wanting to do primary care.

So got a hold of their admissions today and left a message. Actually got a call back! Overall, very friendly experience. However, the feedback I received was pretty much:

-loved my MCAT, loved my experience/shadowing, and my year of 4.0 pbGPA was promising, but they just don't, at present, have confidence in my ability to handle the rigor of medical school

So all-in-all nice to get some feedback at least!

So got a hold of their admissions today and left a message. Actually got a call back! Overall, very friendly experience. However, the feedback I received was pretty much:

-loved my MCAT, loved my experience/shadowing, and my year of 4.0 pbGPA was promising, but they just don't, at present, have confidence in my ability to handle the rigor of medical school

Sorry for the disappointing news, glad you got some closure though!

Also, I love your profile pic! ER >>Greys anatomy

lol actually sounds pretty frustrating, mate! Glad they were friendly at least! Best of luck!

What did they advise you to do to improve your application?

What did they advise you to do to improve your application?

He said with my future coursework (biochem 1/2, genetics) this upcoming year if I do well it will look a lot better. But because I already submitted, my app is that snapshot, so that's what they have to go off of.

A little frustrating/disappointing, but hey at least I know I'm on the right track for a reapp! Stay strong everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Most random email today, somehow fell under my promotions inbox on gmail:

"Hello. We have received your application. However, we need to wait on the MCAT score from exam you take next month.

Take care and have a great day!"

*awkward turtle dance* Is this a hold? :unsure:

Most random email today, somehow fell under my promotions inbox on gmail:

"Hello. We have received your application. However, we need to wait on the MCAT score from exam you take next month.

Take care and have a great day!"

*awkward turtle dance* Is this a hold? :unsure:
Nah they did that for me back last month before I’d finished my MCAT.

Current 3rd year. Here to answer any questions yall have about the program.

how is the quality of education at the CHCs? are you exposed to a wide range of cases?

Can you be more specific?

The quality of education at each CHC depends on who's running the CHC (RDME), and what kind of clinic/rotations sites are available to you. Every CHC has its ups and downs.

Can you be more specific?

The quality of education at each CHC depends on who's running the CHC (RDME), and what kind of clinic/rotations sites are available to you. Every CHC has its ups and downs.
How competitive is it to get into a popular CHC, say for example NY. How do they decide who goes where? Is it a lottery system or academic based.

How competitive is it to get into a popular CHC, say for example NY. How do they decide who goes where? Is it a lottery system or academic based.

Read the first page FAQ. It's based on availabilty.

First come first serve. The earlier you get accepted, you get a chance to pick your CHC. Once you're accepted, you deposit a $1000 then get to rank the CHCs. That's how it was back in my day lol, not sure if it changed.

First come first serve. The earlier you get accepted, you get a chance to pick your CHC. Once you're accepted, you deposit a $1000 then get to rank the CHCs. That's how it was back in my day lol, not sure if it changed.

Yep, still the same.

@Kevvv there are CHCs that fill up faster than others due to popularity, NYC being one of them.

Would it be acceptable to email them and ask when they are planning to start sending out II's?

Would it be acceptable to email them and ask when they are planning to start sending out II's?

Probably unnecessary but it is acceptable. They'll come when they come and we just need to be patient.

I am not sure why they don’t factor in that engineering is a much harder major than bio. As a Present electrical engineer major having anything above a 3.0 is damn good. Really surprised by rejection since your mcat above DO average . Could it be not enough clinical hours or EC or need to tweek personal statement. Just hang on you only 1 interview to have chance

Just sent an email asking when they are planning to start sending out II's. Will let you guys know what they say :)

Reactions: 9 users
Update: they kind of disregarded my question and just told me that my application is complete... so I guess we all have to continue to wonder! Good luck to you all :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
just want to chime in. Submitted my secondary on 08/01. It is marked completed on 08/05! Fingers crossed!!

Just got the R
Complete 7/29
A little bummed I thought it would be a good fit.
Good luck everyone!

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users