2019-2020 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-II R as well, IS complete mid-August

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 on the pre-II R, complete mid-August.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Pre-II R. I didn’t expect a school in the south to have good taste anyways :stop:

Pre-II R, complete end of July. One of my top choices oh well :(

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an II on 1/10! For Feb 5th. Very excited I've heard good things about this school! Does anyone know how I can be put in contact with a student host?

I got an II on 1/10! For Feb 5th. Very excited I've heard good things about this school! Does anyone know how I can be put in contact with a student host?

In the interview confirmation email they send, under “accommodations,” there is a link to fill out a request form to stay with a student host.

I asked for a student host immediately and was never contacted, had to reach out to admissions via phone and put in contact with a student who told me they were out of hosts but they just don’t notify you of that. So if you don’t hear back, be prepared to book a hotel.

II OOS. 3 days available in February!

Reactions: 3 users
My aforementioned BF who abstains from SDN wanted me to ask whether anyone would like to share an Uber from the Greensboro airport to the campus area around 9:30pm on the evening of Feb 6? If so, PM me and I'll send along his info. (I promise that he is very nice and normal.)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
II this morning for 2/5. What is the chance of getting an A since the are near the end? Don’t want to spend more money to be waitlist or reject.

Current student here. It's all about how well you'd fit with the school. I'd say check it out unless you have no desire of coming here to begin with. Wake wasn't in my radar for places I wanted to go to but it ended up being my first choice as soon as I visited for interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
Additional comments from a current first-year student because it's time for a study break and I want to share how awesome it is to be here. If you have any questions feel free to send me a DM or just throw me a question below.

sketchy, uworld, pathoma included in tuition costs
Every and any textbook or resource you may use or need is also available through the school e-library along with physical copies as well.
cadaver lab is new and doesn't smell (6 people per cadaver; 8 hours per week but split so that you're only dissecting in groups of 3)
Some blocks of anatomy lab are stinkier than others. While the lab doesn't smell, even with the tables with the vacuum system, the odor from dissections is just inevitable.On a bright side, masks are available upon request for the more pungent blocks. You also have 24/7 unrestricted access to the lab and it is encouraged that you study from the other dissected bodies so that you can learn the variations of structures between individuals.
strong ultrasound integration
The curriculum changes every year so I can't say what future years will have. For our current class, integration is not only limited to ultrasound but also radiology and histology through our different anatomy blocks.
faculty and admin actually seem to care
This is going to be a common point at most medical schools. All med school faculty members are there to teach you and make sure you become the best version of yourself by the time you leave their sides. At WFSOM, professors do not have "office hours" since you can just go to their offices and ask for help whenever they are not lecturing or having a meeting. They are here to help you so make sure you take advantage of their availability. In addition to readily available lecturers and professors, the school offers a plethora of programs like free yoga, salsa, fitness, cooking programs to ensure student wellness and health. Not only you'll have the support from your faculty and admin but every single one of your classmates will become a valuable asset during the rigorous years of medical education.
students are nice and attractive
You obviously have not seen me around.
new facility is amazing and the study spaces are incredible
Yes. Five floors of classrooms, study and common areas with giant screens where you can project your screen from the computers that are provided to you.
the professors take practice step exams so they know what to teach and also dissect first aid and integrate it into their classes
They are also updated with their literature as well so they will provide the most updated information and admit to their mistakes if they ever make any.
high step (233 98% pass rate 2019)
track how you're doing with stats and can predict your step score
You can meet with your advisors at any time for feedback.
cost of living is reasonable and Winston Salem is cute
If you're from a major city, you will at some point feel like Winston does not have enough to do. That's when you drive an hour out to Charlotte or Greensboro and enjoy what is not available here.
matches well into competitive specialties
I hope this statement applies to me in the future too.
P/F preclinical (does count for AOA) but students aren't ranked - I hear stories from other schools where this is not a thing and makes me very glad to be here. All (most) of our classmates know each other and we are able to just walk into any room and study with each other.
lecture attendance isn't mandatory and lectures are recorded and posted around 2 pm (not live-streamed) - You can watch lectures at increased speeds of 2x or even 4x if you are physically capable of understanding someone 4x.
This is great info! Can you PM me? I am unable to message you. Would love to shoot over a couple of questions if you're game. Thanks!

Interviewed 1/8, Waitlisted today.
Are chances pretty slim of being accepted off the waitlist before February 23? I have another acceptance and must submit a deposit by 2/23 to maintain my spot. Wake Forest would be my top choice, but wouldn't want to risk losing my spot at the other school simply on the chance of getting a seat at Wake.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Are chances pretty slim of being accepted off the waitlist before February 23? I have another acceptance and must submit a deposit by 2/23 to maintain my spot. Wake Forest would be my top choice, but wouldn't want to risk losing my spot at the other school simply on the chance of getting a seat at Wake.

WL probably won’t move significantly until April. I’ve been on WL since November and I have seen others on here from October even. Is that deposit refundable?

• Sad
  • Hmm
WL probably won’t move significantly until April. I’ve been on WL since November and I have seen others on here from October even. Is that deposit refundable?

Yes, the deposit is non-refundable, and its pretty sizeable too. I hate for my decision to be determined by a couple thousand dollars, but at the same time, I'm still a broke college student, so money can be a factor sometimes.

Yes, the deposit is non-refundable, and its pretty sizeable too. I hate for my decision to be determined by a couple thousand dollars, but at the same time, I'm still a broke college student, so money can be a factor sometimes.

that is crazy early for them to be asking for such a sizeable deposit, I’m sorry to hear you’re in that position.

How long have you known about the deposit? Maybe call and say you’re an independent student and you don’t yet have the liquid funds to pay for the deposit, Is there anyway they can lower it or give you another month?

Supposedly we won't be hearing back until the CTE deadline, which is 4/30 - 5/1

Umm wait. Deposit?

Same here, interviewed 1/8, waitlisted.

DO School?

One of the few things I respect about AAMC is the max 100 dollar deposit.

Excited for an upcoming interview here, would like to check out the area a little bit the day before. What areas of WS do most students live? Any recommendations for a place (or general area) for dinner the night before?

Excited for an upcoming interview here, would like to check out the area a little bit the day before. What areas of WS do most students live? Any recommendations for a place (or general area) for dinner the night before?
Most students live in the area close to school for first year. Its convenient but a little more expensive. Generally, the further away from school you get, the more affordable the housing.

For food, it depends on what you like. There are surprisingly good food options near the school for a town the size of Winston. Just check the reviews and they're usually pretty spot on.

Has anyone heard anything recently? No contact since complete 8/22

Does anyone know if Wake rejects post-II? I've heard applicants say that they've been waitlisted, but not heard anyone say they were rejected.

Thank you.
They told us at my interview that they reject post-II. People tend to be less likely to post about Rs, especially post-II, so it’s probably why there haven’t been any ones reported.

DO School?

One of the few things I respect about AAMC is the max 100 dollar deposit.
Yeah, the other school is a DO school. They primarily want to make sure that those accepted are serious about attending. I would much rather be accepted off the waitlist at Wake, but the DO school has its perks.

Last edited:
sitting in silence, is it a bad idea to call the admissions office and just ask whats good

Driving down from DC area today to stay with family in Charlotte before my interview tomorrow and this weather has me nervy :oops: Anyone in the area who can relay how bad it is?

sitting in silence, is it a bad idea to call the admissions office and just ask whats good

Thinking about doing the same, complete radio silence since 7/3 (IS)

Driving down from DC area today to stay with family in Charlotte before my interview tomorrow and this weather has me nervy :oops: Anyone in the area who can relay how bad it is?

It's been a semi-light drizzle all morning over here near Raleigh. Best of luck!

Thinking about doing the same, complete radio silence since 7/3 (IS)

It's been a semi-light drizzle all morning over here near Raleigh. Best of luck!
Can confirm the drizzle over in Raleigh lol

• Haha
Did anyone else receive a joint program interest email after interviewing?

Just withdrew my spot on the WL. Hope someone here gets good news in May!

Reactions: 7 users